Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think you can do okay with a sylvari in normal armor, just not specifically male sylvari and light armor. (Medium armor is kind of iffy sometimes, too, but I think that's just because male sylvari have a weird butt bulge in most long coats.)

My Mesmer and Elementalist are both male sylvari--I made them both when I couldn't decide which class I'd rather play, but I knew I wanted to be a male sylvari--and so now they're basically both in the same outfit because it's the best-looking thing I could make out of the pieces I had access to.

This is basically what my Mesmer still looks like, just with a few different dyes (I made this look ages ago):

The pieces are: Dryad (cultural T3) chest and boots; Snapdragon (cultural T1) shoulders; Carapace gloves and pants. My Elementalist is wearing the same pieces but with different colors. I'll post a shot of that when I'm home.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

On my sylvari guardian (which is female admittedly because omg jennifer hale) I use sylvari cultural stuff for legs and chest, then use more actual armor-lookin stuff for shoulders/feet/hands. Finding things that don't clash is pretty tricky but I'm happy with it thus far.

Now if only I can do enough Hall of Monuments stuff in GW1 to unlock that ice diadem thing. Lack of crown-looking pieces is my least favorite thing about heavy armor by far.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

The sylvari cultural armour (and TA sets when worn on a sylvari) have some channels that become the sylvari's skin colour, which you can check out by previewing it with no dyes on or removed from the armour piece. It owns.

e: Oh you might be talking about the effect you see when you use certain dyes on the mistforged set? Like enameled emblaze or harrowing maroon etc

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 26, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sylvari cultural armour is super well done and fits their race perfectly. Not like the human cultural armour which is basically various forms of "look like Logan" or "show different parts of your boobs" which isn't entirely bad I'm just sayin

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Illuyankas posted:

The sylvari cultural armour (and TA sets when worn on a sylvari) have some channels that become the sylvari's skin colour, which you can check out by previewing it with no dyes on or removed from the armour piece. It owns.

It does, but it also has other colors that are unrelated to your sylvari's coloration, or maybe just complementary to it. For example, on my Elementalist, who has amber skin tone and green hair, dying the Dryad chest piece's main channel with Olive brought out some dark blues, and dying another channel with Amber brought out some dark magenta. It's pretty interesting. I was annoyed at first, but when I started working around it his outfit started to look sort of iridescent and that's pretty cool.

I screwed around with the makeover preview thing to see if I can make his coloration work a tiny bit better with it, like maybe a more interesting hair color, but nothing really works, unfortunately. I'll post a screen shot of him later to see if anyone has any suggestions.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

CLAM DOWN posted:

"look like Logan"

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

CLAM DOWN posted:

show different parts of your boobs"

Any outfit you wear shows off a giant boob :tipshat:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
The clear solution is to make a white female human because they are a blank slate and also have the best armor.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
or 10 of them

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

ItBurns posted:

The clear solution is to make a white female human because they are a blank slate and also have the best armor.

I'm really mad I made my Ranger a Norn, since the mid tier 2 cultural armour for human females is loving amazing and I'd wear nothing else ever.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Its not a trenchcoat!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thursday Night Casual Raid just did a flawless VG kill, I am so drat proud of all of you!!! This might not seem like a big deal to some of you other raiders, but this is huge and exactly my goal when starting this weeknight thing, to expose more people to raid content and learn how it works! And you all killed it tonight!!!

e: oh and I got that sparkling ascended greatsword drop so I rule

Congrats you guys!!! That's awesome.

also lol arus my fiance has wanted that greatsword for like literally the entire time we've raided and she still hasn't gotten it, i told her you got it and got the best facial expression out of her

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

It does, but it also has other colors that are unrelated to your sylvari's coloration, or maybe just complementary to it. For example, on my Elementalist, who has amber skin tone and green hair, dying the Dryad chest piece's main channel with Olive brought out some dark blues, and dying another channel with Amber brought out some dark magenta. It's pretty interesting. I was annoyed at first, but when I started working around it his outfit started to look sort of iridescent and that's pretty cool.

I screwed around with the makeover preview thing to see if I can make his coloration work a tiny bit better with it, like maybe a more interesting hair color, but nothing really works, unfortunately. I'll post a screen shot of him later to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Here's my experimental, opalescent Elementalist:

I'm not completely happy with it yet but I've had a habit of just echoing sylvari colors in dyes until this so it was fun to put it together.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

The important thing is to have many, many, many, many, MANY dyes.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

(Yu Xue, Flower In Amber, Wraith of Yamato)

(Figuratively A Bird, Rhosyn The Shadow, Bloodstone Orchid)

(Earthshine Maiden, Jaeger Aerona, Bone Eating Flower)
:colbert:

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 31, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Those are some good looking salads.

Generally, why do people throw the same three colors on each piece? It works sometimes but usually not.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, since I brought it up, here's my mesmer and thief.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

DID SOMEONE SAY SALAD?!

I apparently have a whole lot of salads. Most of them look like they're in varying states of being high, too. I guess that's what happens when you're made out of trees.

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!
Gosh, that's a lot of pretty salads. Mine are more, hmm...

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

starvation camp for vegans

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Everyone wants to be pretty but you can also make a fairly horrifying Sylvari by picking a flesh tone with red highlights for a flayed-man style necro or whatever

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I had no idea I'd kick off salad-postin' but I'm glad that's what happened. I generally pick pretty muted color palettes for my sylvari but I really love seeing what people do when they just go nuts with color.

Inzombiac posted:

Generally, why do people throw the same three colors on each piece? It works sometimes but usually not.

I think there are some armor combinations where that just works best, but in general I also think it's just easiest to think of the color scheme as a whole that way. My Elementalist's interesting Dryad chest piece colors forced me out of that, though, so all I really did was try to echo his natural coloration at least a little in each piece, then call to one of the other subtle colors in the Dryad chest piece (either purple or blue), with a few lighter highlights.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I had fun coloring out my Sylvari Warrior. Wanted to do something a little different and in theme for the warrior/berserker line so he looks kinda burned and ashy with a smoldering orange underglow effect. Only level 10 so I just got naked since I just have basic bitch gear. Tried going for the hard darkest flat grey first but it looked a little dull. The nightwood skin color added some more dimension and looked a bit more like living wood in the process of burning instead of just a brittle charcoal shell. The glow at night really sells it.

(Bonus glamor shot with pay2win pretty princess garb)

graynull fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 27, 2017

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
quote not edit!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Salad wars!

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
Seaweed salad?

(ele condi set)

Still futzing with it a bit, but mostly have it set. Works well with the drippy orrian weapons.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

My salad ranger. Haven't been 80 long enough to play pretty princess yet though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

hobb posted:

Seaweed salad?

(ele condi set)

Still futzing with it a bit, but mostly have it set. Works well with the drippy orrian weapons.

I really like that, like the red's emerging from the gray as you go downward. Really cool.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

My necro, :spooky: Pumpkin Sprout :spooky:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

"I am Moot."

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

cover me with your creamy dressing

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

some really awesome salads guys, I like it

bonus with hat

shame I don't have time to do pics at night, the glow is half the fun

rum
Aug 23, 2007

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

I'm very sad because I darkened my thief to a morally-ambiguous shade of purple for Heart of Thorns, and now that the jungle dragon is dead I have forgotten how to get her back to her original orchid princess purple.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The sylvari male voice actor sounds really annoyed by everyone's bullshit in the HoT story and LW season 3. It's really appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Harrow posted:

The sylvari male voice actor sounds really annoyed by everyone's bullshit in the HoT story and LW season 3. It's really appropriate.

I think it's exposure to Canach, it's rubbing off on the male sylvari protagonist.

• Locked thread