Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Raxivace posted:

Anyone else pick up Friday the 13th? I got the PS4 version and while I've been having trouble connecting to matches when I do its a ton of fun.
If we ever get Deadly Premonition 2, I hope its done in the even more batshit style of Twin Peaks Season 3. :allears:

I won't lie, when the guy in the first episode said the room he worked in was paid for by an anonymous billionaire, I immediately thought of Harry Stewart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What does the 'graphic content' option toggle actually do in The Evil Within, since it would pretty much have to turn off the whole game to disable the gore.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bogart posted:

I think there's Lobotomy Inc or something around there in early access. It's not dissimilar to what you're penciling our.

Lobotomy Inc is basically SPC: The Game more than a corporation game, something like Evil Genius but horror would be closer.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

On the subject of D, I remember renting that when it first came out in 1996. I was 10 and was in no way prepared for what came next.

It was pretty great.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Deadly Premonition PC is only $1 here

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/deviant-bundle

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Raxivace posted:

Anyone else pick up Friday the 13th? I got the PS4 version and while I've been having trouble connecting to matches when I do its a ton of fun.
If we ever get Deadly Premonition 2, I hope its done in the even more batshit style of Twin Peaks Season 3. :allears:

At this point we should just let get David Lynch to see the game and try and edge him into the idea of just letting them make an official collab.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

David Lynch (and his lawyers) saw the Rainy Woods trailer, which is why it had to be changed :v:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Friday is fun when it works. The "Search for groups" option on Xbox One is super helpful but I think I've played maybe 10 dull matches today, maybe.

Jason is fun as hell to play, although I'm not crazy about how Friday 7 Jason handles. So far Friday 3 Jason is my favorite. He's the most versatile one I've played so far and his running ability is such a help.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The dev team for F13 shut it down for about 3 hours this morning in the hopes of finally stopping the big launch bugs that were plaguing everyone. Long story short, they looked at their beta and pre-order numbers to predict how many people would play and ended up with nearly twice that amount on opening day.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why does The Evil Within think that making you go long periods without a checkpoint in an area where a guy who kills you instantly if he touches you and spawns completely at random in any way constitutes a fun challenge? Or good design.
Why do so many things kill you instantly, why why why?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Sakurazuka posted:

Why does The Evil Within think that making you go long periods without a checkpoint in an area where a guy who kills you instantly if he touches you and spawns completely at random in any way constitutes a fun challenge? Or good design.
Why do so many things kill you instantly, why why why?

Even as a dude who really likes The Evil Within and is hoping a sequel will be one of Bethesda's announcements at E3, there is no goddamn defending the mansion chapter.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Friday the 13th is real good from what I got to play. One of the most surprising things is that the locational VOIP is actually excellently done, and really changes the game wildly. For instance, while I was searching a house I managed to find a radio which allows anyone else with a radio to hear me as if I was next to them. When I asked if anyone else had a radio yet, a fellow told me he'd found fuel and a map. While searching for car parts afterwards, I stumbled across another survivor who had the boat's propeller. Using the radio, the map guy told me how to get to the boat from where we were, and I relayed it to the propellor guy. The boat's only a two seater so I continued to try to find car stuff.

Shortly afterwards, Jason kool-aid'd through a wall and popped my head like an orange, but I helped two people escape by boat at least :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FINALLY got to play my first Jason round. I used Jason 3 since I figured it would give me an advantage to jog after them.

Made it 6/7. One of them escaped somehow, probably the boat since nobody called the cops and I killed the people with the car battery and gas when they tried to install them. I broke two backs, gouged out Tommy Jarvis's eyes with my thumbs, and stabbed Vanessa in the throat with a marshmallow holder at the campfire. It's satisfying to see kills that aren't just strangulation over and over.

Two top moments other than killing Jarvis:

* Spotting a Vanessa trying to sneak through the woods with my Sense and saying into the mic "You aren't as stealthy as you think you are....". Cue her getting up and running.

* Using Stalk (which turns off the music changes that play when Jason approaches) as I approached the two remaining counselors from head-on, coming down the hill to the Packanack Lodge campfire. They had learned to stop paying attention when the music wasn't screeching, so they just kinda noticed me standing where they were running to and suddenly freaked out.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
But the music is the most fun bit of all of it!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I had more finished games today than when it launched. I think the problems are gone, though the CP count gets a little off. Now if they can fix the Perks and I can start with a map and heal everyone.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

1stGear posted:

Even as a dude who really likes The Evil Within and is hoping a sequel will be one of Bethesda's announcements at E3, there is no goddamn defending the mansion chapter.

While I like TEW, one critic neatly summed it up as "the game expects a lot of discipline from the player while having none of its own".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TEW feels like every combat encounter is designed not to challenge me but to drain my resources.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I will fight anyone who disparages The Evil Within, or as it is known in Japan, Psycho Break, or it's DLC The Assignment, The Consequence, and The Executioner.

GrizzlyAtoms
Jul 26, 2016
Stalk is by far my favorite power for Jason in Friday the 13th. It allows you to re-create those jump scares from the movie perfectly. The councelor is running, the music stops so they think they're safe to stop and gather some stamina and then they are suddenly in your clutches being folded over backwards. I've had more than a couple people shriek bloody murder when they get grabbed unexpectedly. It's very satisfying.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
In the vein of the petscop thing, I'd never heard of Masochisia before. If nothing else, a good creepy art style, and maybe a little bit of over-the-top subliminal messages telling you to kill. :v: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/masochisia/masochisia.htm

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GrizzlyAtoms posted:

Stalk is by far my favorite power for Jason in Friday the 13th. It allows you to re-create those jump scares from the movie perfectly. The councelor is running, the music stops so they think they're safe to stop and gather some stamina and then they are suddenly in your clutches being folded over backwards. I've had more than a couple people shriek bloody murder when they get grabbed unexpectedly. It's very satisfying.

During my last round as Jason I turned on Stalk as the last survivor was running away. He ran around the other side of a cabin, I guess hoping that he'd confuse me and thinking he had lost me. I simply walked in through the nearby door; right as he started climbing into a side room through the window, I calmly walked inside. He screamed and jumped right back out the window.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Anyone played The Crow's Eye? I was clued in on it today, and it seems to get a lot of positive reviews, but thought I'd also check in here about it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Pyrolocutus posted:

Anyone played The Crow's Eye? I was clued in on it today, and it seems to get a lot of positive reviews, but thought I'd also check in here about it.
Watched HarshlyCritical play about two hours of it and it seemed a bit dull. The horror was slow to start and the hammy voice acting was fun, but it seemed like it has a discount Bioshock feel to it in regards to it's audio logs (which was how most of the story progressed). I don't know, you might get your money's worth from it for $12 but it's mostly forgettable in a see of first person horror games taking place in an asylum.

VVVVV
I know of someone, but he's a bit dull.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 3, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Are there any good LPs of the Clocktower games and Haunting Grounds? I've always been interested in them but I don't care to play them myself. Is the latter even worth watching an LP of?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

John Wolfe (Formerly HarshlyCritical) did a pretty good LP on Haunting Ground if you wanna see how weird that thing gets.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Niggurath did both games and they're in the lparchive

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

discworld is all I read posted:

Watched HarshlyCritical play about two hours of it and it seemed a bit dull. The horror was slow to start and the hammy voice acting was fun, but it seemed like it has a discount Bioshock feel to it in regards to it's audio logs (which was how most of the story progressed). I don't know, you might get your money's worth from it for $12 but it's mostly forgettable in a see of first person horror games taking place in an asylum.

VVVVV
I know of someone, but he's a bit dull.

Did he ever finish that play through? I was invested enough that I wanted to see the ending, but not enough to buy it because, yeah, without Wolfe's narration it looks like a pretty mediocre experience.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thanks guys.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mysterious frankie posted:

Did he ever finish that play through? I was invested enough that I wanted to see the ending, but not enough to buy it because, yeah, without Wolfe's narration it looks like a pretty mediocre experience.

i don't think he ever put up anything past the first couple videos for whatever mysterious reason

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't think he ever put up anything past the first couple videos for whatever mysterious reason
I think he posted a video saying he was getting burnt out on horror games but I think sometimes he just gets bored with a game, like with 'Husk'. Like he immediately went and did Little Nightmares and I think he's doing Perception now....and man, I'm not sure what to think about that game. Like it seems interesting as an idea and it looks reasonably well put together, but it also doesn't look really that scary and it comes across as fairly easy/not threatening outside of scripted events.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I think he posted a video saying he was getting burnt out on horror games but I think sometimes he just gets bored with a game, like with 'Husk'.

It's kind of funny that immediately after the "Burned out on horror games" video he's still just done horror games afterwards. Not that I'm complaining there, but it does kind of seem like there's two bits to that, one is that he genuinely really likes horror stuff and the other is that he's pretty much built up a lot of fanbase as "A horror games channel" and I could see it get tiring feeling that you have to stay in 'your genre' or risk people griping/leaving. I'll be happy to watch whatever he makes either way, I just hope he gets some good reception to leaning off horror when he feels like it as well.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

perception looks like what happens if all you have is a concept and you try to build a game around it without any care for what makes a setting interesting

that and you go ahead and make the blind protagonist psychic as well because why not

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

It's kind of funny that immediately after the "Burned out on horror games" video he's still just done horror games afterwards. Not that I'm complaining there, but it does kind of seem like there's two bits to that, one is that he genuinely really likes horror stuff and the other is that he's pretty much built up a lot of fanbase as "A horror games channel" and I could see it get tiring feeling that you have to stay in 'your genre' or risk people griping/leaving. I'll be happy to watch whatever he makes either way, I just hope he gets some good reception to leaning off horror when he feels like it as well.

A little bit of A and B. In the vlogs he made during the name transition he talked about his frustration with his Last Guardian videos having half the viewers of his lovely horror stuff which youtube then punishes through its arbitrary content system. The change to JohnWolfe was meant to start fresh and do more varied stuff (still 3/4 horror but whatever) and he didn't like the idea of a separate channel where non-horror goes.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Yeah, it's kind of a shame that he found a successful niche that can easily burn someone out and attempts to do something different aren't as well received, but usually it seems that his more popular lovely horror stuff are things he can pump out fairly quickly with low effort and still get views/money off of while he can also just do side projects of things he actually enjoys. Honestly it's a bit surprising to see that he isn't making more money on Patreon considering that he seems to have a earnest fanbase, but he seems to be making less money than Darksydephil somehow.

Also I was a bit surprised that it came up from the recent Ariana Grande concert bombing, but the studio that made Necrovision and the lovely reboot of Painkiller were supposed to release some horror FPS game called 'Get Even'. I vaguely remember hearing about it a year ago and then nothing, but I'm assuming it's going to be on par with everything else they've done. So good stuff all around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02eaHlF0-VE

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

But he seems to be making less money than Darksydephil somehow.

A lot of really good people are, DSP has stockholm syndromed a bizarre amount of people, they've been sloughing off as he continues to be horrible to everyone but still.

Well that and John only has a $1 and $5 category on his, DSP's goes 1-5-10-20-50 because he's happy to siphon as much as he can off people.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 3, 2017

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So I've been enjoying Friday the 13th and wanted to see if there were any similar games out there, which led to finding this.

http://www.lastyearthegame.com/

The idea sounds fun but I'm somewhat wary due to the fact that it's kickstarter backed and looks to have been in development since at least 2014, neither of which seem like good signs. Supposedly it's getting a beta release this August though.

The art looks decent enough but anyone can make good concept art and what they've shown of gamplay is sparse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skZS-fviHBI

(that said, I did get a dumb laugh at how the "rear end in a top hat-jock" character is literally named Chad.)

Interview with one of the devs and a collection of Kickstarter updates.

http://thenerdstash.com/last-year-interview/

http://imgur.com/gallery/6UO2a

http://imgur.com/a/dzmx3

Anyways don't want to sound too down on it but it shows promise and fingers crossed they deliver.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Nckdictator posted:

So I've been enjoying Friday the 13th and wanted to see if there were any similar games out there, which led to finding this.

The idea sounds fun but I'm somewhat wary due to the fact that it's kickstarter backed and looks to have been in development since at least 2014, neither of which seem like good signs. Supposedly it's getting a beta release this August though.

The art looks decent enough but anyone can make good concept art and what they've shown of gamplay is sparse.

(that said, I did get a dumb laugh at how the "rear end in a top hat-jock" character is literally named Chad.)

Anyways don't want to sound too down on it but it shows promise and fingers crossed they deliver.

Friday the 13th was backed on a similar service to kickstarter. But yeah, if the update is from 2014 it's probably dead. Who knows though.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Friday the 13th was backed on a similar service to kickstarter. But yeah, if the update is from 2014 it's probably dead. Who knows though.

'Eh, I mean it's been getting updates since 2014, the latest appears to be from late last year. their Reddit seems fairly active. That long development time just seems a little iffy to me, but if it's a small team then that would make sense.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LastYear/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nckdictator posted:

So the killer is a school janitor? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I'm sorry but if there's going to be a horror game featuring over-the-top high school/college archetypes it needs to be a Maniac Mansion remake that's as unironically cheesy as the original. That said, I kind of don't want it remade because nothing will top the original.