Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

I was out at around 2 near Park Lane but far enough into the streets that the air wasn't moving much and it was pretty horrible. Usually I get out for lunch and walk from Southwark Bridge to Waterloo along the South Bank and it's lovely.

To be honest I think today might be even better, the early shower knocked the dust out of the air, and I think I'll spend the afternoon in the garden doing some low intensity weeding and drinking beer.

(Yes yes I've got a garden in central London, I've already picked out my wall and what type of blindfold I want)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Killed By Death posted:

Just got done handing leaflets out a Labour stall in the town centre. First bit of party political action I've done and despite me being a total goony shut-in it was pretty good. I'd really encourage any Labour members here to give it a go, if you haven't already.

:hf:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(Yes yes I've got a garden in central London, I've already picked out my wall and what type of blindfold I want)

I also have a garden in Central London, it looks something like this:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
First doorstopper in Portsmouth South was... Labour? In a seat they've never ever won? Had to admit, I caved when asked if I'd put a poster up in my window and politely declined

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

A good question.

They initially heavily backed one of the other contenders for Labour leadership. I can't remember which one. When Corbyn won they went into melt down and started supporting the lib dems. That hasn't worked out for them. Whether there is anything deeper than spite that their chosen candidate didn't win I don't know. It's bizarre and when it's one of only 3 mainstream leftist papers it's been damaging to Corbyn. They could have been pushing an agenda much like the Sun, Mail and Express do for the Tories.

IIRC they backed Yvette Cooper, essentially because she was a woman. I've seen a number of articles pushing her as a potential leader again over the last few weeks, so we look can forward to hearing how misogynistic the Hard Left is for not wanting to vote for her.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

First doorstopper in Portsmouth South was... Labour? In a seat they've never ever won? Had to admit, I caved when asked if I'd put a poster up in my window and politely declined

SHAME

If Labour came to my door & gave me something to stick in the window I would, purely to annoy my fanatically SNP mum. Because I'm still a child.

It's still warm, stuffy & dry up in north Scotland today. It's annoying. I want to just sit about in a rain shower. There was at least a light breeze today, which meant if you were in the shade it was tolerable. It'd be alright if we got enough days like this to make it easier to justify air conditioning, but we just don't.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

SHAME

If Labour came to my door & gave me something to stick in the window I would, purely to annoy my fanatically SNP mum. Because I'm still a child.

It's still warm, stuffy & dry up in north Scotland today. It's annoying. I want to just sit about in a rain shower. There was at least a light breeze today, which meant if you were in the shade it was tolerable. It'd be alright if we got enough days like this to make it easier to justify air conditioning, but we just don't.

It's started raining here (Argyll) in the last hour, but if anything is even more unbearable. My brain feels like it is trying to squeeze itself out of my temples and the base of my neck.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I have fantasies of strapping a heater on me and going on a bank-robbing rampage. As long as I keep the air near me at a steady 30+ C I will basically be untouchable by brits

I'll have to be careful of the Spanish though, it's 40C in summer in many places there

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pochoclo posted:

I have fantasies of strapping a heater on me and going on a bank-robbing rampage. As long as I keep the air near me at a steady 30+ C I will basically be untouchable by brits

I'll have to be careful of the Spanish though, it's 40C in summer in many places there

You laugh while we suffer. You sound like a Young Tory

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pochoclo posted:

Won't stop the English, or mad dogs. But only in the mid-day sun.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Absolutely clapping it down in West Dunbartonshire. No lightning yet, but Old Testament-level rain.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Pochoclo posted:

you would probably just get stopped by a civic minded migrant

if you want to get away with banking crimes just work for hsbc mate

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

I really do wonder how people manage to live in places that warm. Like, my ideal indoor temperature is 16C

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

forkboy84 posted:

You laugh while we suffer. You sound like a Young Tory

THE POCHOCLO FORM IS DEAD, LEFTIE. ARE YOU AFRAID?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pochoclo posted:

THE POCHOCLO FORM IS DEAD, LEFTIE. ARE YOU AFRAID?
:lol:
Would this mean that Corbyn is XERXES?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

I really do wonder how people manage to live in places that warm. Like, my ideal indoor temperature is 16C

I moved here, and now it's warmer in London than loving tel aviv some days. Fix your weather, guys.

Also we run from building to building since they all have a/c on at 16

Miftan fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 27, 2017

BobbyThompson
Mar 23, 2001
Bedeep bedeep bedeep!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/lucyallan/status/868366544337850368

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pochoclo posted:

30!?

Anything above 21 is poo poo.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

I don't know why I even bothered clicking to make sure that was a Tory candidate, maybe I thought they might have some shred of self-awareness. Is this even in reference to anything?

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
For those who don't remember, Lucy Allan is the MP that faked a death threat from a constituent:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-mp-defends-faking-death-threat-over-syria-air-strikes-vote-a6764766.html

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

AC, lots of water, and everything being beautiful + amazing as opposed to here where it's just grey + flabby but warm.

Quincey
Feb 14, 2012
Is this the right to mention this horrible story in Reading, Berkshire? Trigger warning - suicide

An Audi apprentice mechanic found dead in woodland near his Woodley home had been locked in a cage, had his clothes set alight and was bullied by his colleagues, an inquest heard.

The parents of 18-year-old George Cheese said he had been "over the moon" when he got the position but soon started coming home covered in bruises and had multiple holes burned into his clothes.

Berkshire coroner Peter Bedford heard at an inquest at Reading Town Hall on Wednesday, May 24, that their son said his colleagues had locked him in a cage by force, doused him in a flammable liquid and set fire to his clothes

His mother, Purdy, said on another occasion he had returned from work in Reading with a limp after four men had held him to the ground while a fifth punched his thigh repeatedly to give him a dead leg.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/reading-berkshire-news/mechanic-george-cheese-locked-cage-13086388

They also laughed at his mental health condition. It's a disgusting story. The coroner found the staff at the Sytner Audi in Reading not to blame for his death, commenting that fears of cancer, his mental health and relationship problems were a contributing factor to his suicide.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

IDS and BoJo both today condemning Corbyn for... his views on the IRA. Do they think there's much more to gain from this strategy, or do they just have nothing else?

Still frustrating that the BBC always considers it front page news every time a Tory brings up stuff Corbyn did decades ago, and has already explained/been questioned about multiple times.

jabby fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 27, 2017

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Angepain posted:

I don't know why I even bothered clicking to make sure that was a Tory candidate, maybe I thought they might have some shred of self-awareness. Is this even in reference to anything?

I thought it was a journo breaking ranks and attacking the tories

I don't understand what world these people live in

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

BobbyThompson posted:

Bedeep bedeep bedeep!

What a dickhead

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

jabby posted:

IDS and BoJo both today condemning Corbyn for... his views on the IRA. Do they think there's much more to gain from this strategy, or do they just have nothing else?

Still frustrating that the BBC always considers it front page news every time a Tory brings up stuff Corbyn did decades ago.

Fear is all they have at this point. Every time they've announced their own policies it's backfired upon them so for the moment they're trying everything they can to demonise Corbyn again even though it seems like it's lost it's efficiency. They won't talk new policy until they do their relaunch.

The mail is interesting today in so much as there's not a mention of the Tories except in reference to their criticisms of Corbyn, but 8 different attack pieces on Corbyn. The only one to break ranks on this is Oborne, who doesn't even mention Corbyn and instead has a pretty good piece on the politicisation of MI6 under Blair, Cameron and May and how that contributed to the current situation. Oborne is far too good for the Mail.

https://twitter.com/OborneTweets/status/868171780606885889

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Quincey posted:

Is this the right to mention this horrible story in Reading, Berkshire? Trigger warning - suicide

An Audi apprentice mechanic found dead in woodland near his Woodley home had been locked in a cage, had his clothes set alight and was bullied by his colleagues, an inquest heard.

The parents of 18-year-old George Cheese said he had been "over the moon" when he got the position but soon started coming home covered in bruises and had multiple holes burned into his clothes.

Berkshire coroner Peter Bedford heard at an inquest at Reading Town Hall on Wednesday, May 24, that their son said his colleagues had locked him in a cage by force, doused him in a flammable liquid and set fire to his clothes

His mother, Purdy, said on another occasion he had returned from work in Reading with a limp after four men had held him to the ground while a fifth punched his thigh repeatedly to give him a dead leg.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/reading-berkshire-news/mechanic-george-cheese-locked-cage-13086388

They also laughed at his mental health condition. It's a disgusting story. The coroner found the staff at the Sytner Audi in Reading not to blame for his death, commenting that fears of cancer, his mental health and relationship problems were a contributing factor to his suicide.

loving delightful.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Just went through Brighton station, 4 heavily armed plod on duty. Some sort of sub machine gun and side arm. They didn't look like your usual fat thumbhead copper, actually looked fit and scary.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Seaside Loafer posted:

Just went through Brighton station, 4 heavily armed plod on duty. Some sort of sub machine gun and side arm. They didn't look like your usual fat thumbhead copper, actually looked fit and scary.

Had that going through Doncaster on Thursday evening. Police also at Pboro.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Quincey posted:

This bit :

quote:

He said: "I was in the workshop when a prank was played on George and he was set on fire.

"It did not go too far. We knew where to draw the line.

"It was not bullying."

He added that when George returned from the test drive, where he had been dropped off half a mile away, he had smile on his face and he did not know it had affected his colleague in any way.

Reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvnPxqZEWVs&t=80s

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
"he didn't make any direct complaints to us, who had proven ourselves willing to set him on fire at the slightest provocation, so he must have been having a real good time," he said

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

I've been in Cordoba a few times with the outdoor thermometer things claiming 46. It's nice, like a sort of free sauna, so long as you don't need to do too much (and yes I'm a pasty Brit).

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Someone at Labour HQ is certainly doing a much better job than before:

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/868490731463335936

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/868488700531027968

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/868469800762265602

This kind of thing would never have been done a year ago. Is this the work of that rich kid who signed up to be his new strategy boss or whatever?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Quincey posted:

This reminds me of a joke, paraphrased from swedish.

"What's the difference between a snail and an Audi (sometimes a BMW)? In an Audi the slime is on the inside."

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Quincey posted:

Setting him on fire? What the actual gently caress. The craziest form of bullying I've seen in my workplace is someone hiding a coworker's phone for like a minute, I can't even imagine what kind of douchebag thinks setting someone on fire is "just harmless ribbing"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

How did the person taking that statement not just punch him right in the face?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Crameltonian posted:

IIRC they backed Yvette Cooper, essentially because she was a woman. I've seen a number of articles pushing her as a potential leader again over the last few weeks, so we look can forward to hearing how misogynistic the Hard Left is for not wanting to vote for her.
Liberals backing an authoritarian centrist over an anti-authoritarian leftist. :monocle:

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Absolutely clapping it down in West Dunbartonshire. No lightning yet, but Old Testament-level rain.
Raining unclean animals which should not be eaten?

His Divine Shadow posted:

"What's the difference between a snail and an Audi (sometimes a BMW)? In an Audi the slime is on the inside."
I heard that one but with hedgehogs and pricks.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

TheRat posted:

[tweets]

This kind of thing would never have been done a year ago. Is this the work of that rich kid who signed up to be his new strategy boss or whatever?

Three men best known for managing teams in red. Funny how things work out sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

TheRat posted:

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/868490731463335936

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/868488700531027968

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/868469800762265602

that clough video is class. will love it if they end this with a neville southall quote

• Locked thread