Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I hope anyone that ever bought that dipshit's book mails it back to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Like I always knew all officers were full of poo poo no one makes general by actually standing up to their bosses lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just to play devil's advocate, so you'd rather McMaster resign his commission effectively immediately or would you rather him try to limit damage that Trump does domestically and abroad? personally I think McMaster and anyone asked to peddle this poo poo should immediately resign, but :lol: at anyone actually having enough sack these days to just flat end their career

Did I also see that Trump refused to re-affirm the Paris accords?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's hard to base an opinion on the guy on what he could theoretically be doing behind the scenes when he's very publicly lying and supporting the administration's positions.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Buca di Bepis posted:

It's hard to base an opinion on the guy on what he could theoretically be doing behind the scenes when he's very publicly lying and supporting the administration's positions.

I agree, but it's unfortunately the role that he has. He has two choices - quit, or come out and spew the company line. There's nothing to say that Trump would accept his resignation, either, and could effectively force him to stay on in his current role.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just to play devil's advocate, so you'd rather McMaster resign his commission effectively immediately or would you rather him try to limit damage that Trump does domestically and abroad.

I'd rather McMaster not lie about poo poo. That's not very hard. I have no problem with spinning, just don't loving lie and say people day stuff that they didn't. It would help if there was any sign he was actually listened to. For instance, Donnie is still bullshitting about the basics of how NATO is funded and making GBS threads all over NATO countries.

As for Paris, Donnie is saying "he's getting a lot of heat back home" and "many people don't like it" and that he will decide next week (which was expected).

Donnie was also super-involved with the G7 drafting statement, which is why six countries said YAY PARIS GOOD and Donnie split off the US in the statement.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just to play devil's advocate, so you'd rather McMaster resign his commission effectively immediately or would you rather him try to limit damage that Trump does domestically and abroad? personally I think McMaster and anyone asked to peddle this poo poo should immediately resign, but :lol: at anyone actually having enough sack these days to just flat end their career

No he buckled under pressure with that one... I think.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Take a moment to remember the fallen

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/602571404861636608

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Jesus

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Gadaffi also liked to ride around in a golf cart Miniscule Twat-Mobile.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

if you post that tweet in reponse to a trump supporting veteran doing his "ur not allowed to have fun on memorial day because our troops died" would their brains melt out their ears?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Reverand maynard posted:

if you post that tweet in reponse to a trump supporting veteran doing his "ur not allowed to have fun on memorial day because our troops died" would their brains melt out their ears?

Good question, Let's see, *scans facebook and posts*

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

DR are you seriously going 2 for 2 on jumping out in front of the last two violent incidents to conduct a drat psychiatric evaluation based off a news article. "Hmm yes according to my expertise this is a guaranteed case of schizophrenia and no way is it politically or racially motivated". Lmao
I'm just throwing some water on folks like CommieGIR who respond to every murder committed by a conservative with "CLEARLY YOU SEE NOW THE BRUTE NATURE OF THE TRUMP VOTER, AROUND MAGA NEVER RELAX", so I'm not the one jumping in to ascribe motive here. While there have been a few killings that fit the mold of ideologically motivated terrorism, (Charleston church shooter comes to mind) most of the random assaults people are posting do not.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Isn't indiscriminate murder enough reason to say someone was clearly psychologically disturbed? I mean, no one is out there defending the Manchester bomber's mental health and we can probably all agree he would have benefited from intervention by a mental health professional, but that doesnt discount that what he did was terrorism. This Portland guy may be crazier than all hell, that doesn't mean he can't commit a racially or religiously motivated crime.
No, there is distinction between deliberate acts of terrorism and episodes of untreated mental illness. While it is possible that the Manchester bomber had some sort of mental illness, premeditated acts of religious violence have been committed by plenty of sane people in the past.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Those who commit acts of terror tend to be both insane losers and also extremely hateful, it's not an either or. The Oregon guy apparently has a very long history of white supremacism.

Edit: here's a long thread on the guy's background

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/868477854127763457

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Legit tempted to mail McMaster a copy of his book with the note "the guy who wrote this knows what's up you should read it"

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Dead Reckoning posted:

No, there is distinction between deliberate acts of terrorism and episodes of untreated mental illness. While it is possible that the Manchester bomber had some sort of mental illness, premeditated acts of religious violence have been committed by plenty of sane people in the past.

i dont think the police are going to find a couple thousand page hand written manifesto about government mind control techniques and a collection of tin foil hats in that guy's house. just a hunch.

edit: just to be clear, i mean the manchester bomber.

vains fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 27, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
You might be in for a surprise. Press found his Facebook, which, uh, sure is something.

Best Friends posted:

Those who commit acts of terror tend to be both insane losers and also extremely hateful, it's not an either or. The Oregon guy apparently has a very long history of white supremacism.

Edit: here's a long thread on the guy's background

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/868477854127763457

Yeah, this sounds like a guy with a coherent, conservative, Christian, pro-Trump political philosophy:

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 27, 2017

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
So basically he's the average youtube comment poster if you let him go on long enough.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

You might be in for a surprise. Press found his Facebook, which, uh, sure is something.

Yeah, this sounds like a guy with a coherent, conservative, Christian, pro-Trump political philosophy:

He sounds like a Pepe.

I'm not saying he's not crazy. I am saying he's crazy like a whole lot of other people in that hate movement. And if he was making the same unhinged rants about Allah and did the same thing, we wouldn't be having this conversation, he'd exactly fit the pattern of all the other western born terrorists.

Which, he still does. Terrorists are broken brained losers who are also full of hate. Like this guy.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Like do you realize how many white supremacists aren't Christian? Weird neo pagan stuff is all the rage in prison gangs.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
BIDEN BREAK

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/868509584465514496

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/868512379834953728

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

so many balls busted over that hah

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
That is very nice biden but i think why people don't have a job might be old rich white people

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The president we need but not the president we deserve.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

he's gonna run third party in 2020, split the vote, and we get 4 more years of winning.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

he's gonna run third party in 2020, split the vote, and we get 4 more years of winning.

Another finger on the monkey's paw closes.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Best Friends posted:

Like do you realize how many white supremacists aren't Christian? Weird neo pagan stuff is all the rage in prison gangs.
"Bizarre neo-Pagan white supremacists" are not exactly a core Republican demographic. Here is what is was responding to:

Casimir Radon posted:

I can't wait for the GOP to claim this has nothing to do with their rhetoric.

CommieGIR posted:

Or standard Tea Partier/Trumpite. Lots of Trumpites believe the hype about Muslims being illegals.

People ITT stating, or at the very least strongly insinuating, that this guy was a Trump supporter/Tea Partier, and that his actions were inspired by Trump/GOP/Tea Party rhetoric.

This guy was a loon ball who happened to have an axe to grind with immigrants and Muslims. The Republican party is also anti immigrant, and Trump is anti Muslim, but saying that the Political Nihilist Lizard King was directly inspired to stab two people in the throat by the GOP establishment is "hmm do you know who else went to art school? :godwin:" levels of seeing what you want to see.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

This guy was a loon ball who happened to have an axe to grind with immigrants and Muslims. The Republican party is also anti immigrant, and Trump is anti Muslim, but saying that the Political Nihilist Lizard King was directly inspired to stab two people in the throat by the GOP establishment is "hmm do you know who else went to art school? :godwin:" levels of seeing what you want to see.

I don't think the point is that he was directly inspired, but that the current level of anti-immigrant rhetoric is such that he may have been emboldened by it. The dude's a fringe loony, but when the mainstream ruling party normalizes xenophobic speech and attitudes, it creates an environment where someone on the fringe might feel it's safe to take more drastic action than they may have previously.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

He was a Trump supporter though. Anyone on the internet can see the "alt right," that this guy was clearly in the middle of, is a notable subset of Trump supporters.

As far as him being filled with hate, that hate comes from society. No one just wakes up and decides to hate muslims. Just like in the middle east no one wakes up and completely on their own decides that the Shia are actually part of the vast Zionist conspiracy or whatever. The right wing in general has normalized anti-islam views and now the alt-right is growing in power. Some members of the alt right will periodically act on the rhetoric.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
He once like a Facebook meme with a Pepe. Burn the witch.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Can we go with the term brown scare. Or white scare? Red Scare was nice

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Waroduce posted:

Can we go with the term brown scare. Or white scare? Red Scare was nice

make your foto look like <- foto

SwampDonkey fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 27, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dead Reckoning posted:

Perhaps, instead of thinking of our current detente as a natural evolution, you should consider it an anomaly, and that our political struggles being coupled with physical violence is actually the normal state of affairs. Like peace in Europe, it's worth working towards, but it isn't how things have been for most of history, or are guaranteed to be in the future.

Hand wringing about how our democracy can exist when our elected officials are committing violence is odd, since that's how we rolled for a few hundred years.

If you got punched in the face every day for a couple years would you also think complaining about that would be odd? People have taken issue with this kind of behavior since day 1. The caning of Charles Sumner is a pretty prime example of this. I dunno why you would bring up an incredibly contriversal act of violence in the era just prior to civil war as some type of status quo. It literally preceded the most significant upheaval of American society since its inception

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Donnie isn't listening to someone important.

Normally not a huge problem and/or would draw a "no poo poo".

Except, that person is White House Counsel :v:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/868533597275385861

Ivanka and Jared also tried to use said White House Counsel for themselves. They were promptly told to get hosed and it leaked out, forcing them to use a private attorney.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/868534145483517953

Also some talk about Priebus exiting the White House to serve as Ambassador to Greece as a consolation prize.

Congressional Republicans thought they were done with this bullshit. Whoops!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

I'm a little worried by, "We saw the forces of populism."

One thing I remember from NPR during the primaries was a piece conflating Sanders and Trump by discussing both platforms as, "populism," and doing a lot of bait-and-switches between starting to talk about Sanders but then switching to Trump's platform while hiding the transition inside the framing around, "populism."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Loden Taylor posted:

I don't think the point is that he was directly inspired, but that the current level of anti-immigrant rhetoric is such that he may have been emboldened by it. The dude's a fringe loony, but when the mainstream ruling party normalizes xenophobic speech and attitudes, it creates an environment where someone on the fringe might feel it's safe to take more drastic action than they may have previously.
According to his rap sheet, the guy had a long history of being violent and erratic prior to Trump getting elected, and I see little reason to believe he wouldn't have continued to be violent and erratic irrespective of who won the election. Nothing about this guy screams "cares about being in the Overton window". The habit of certain posters to chime in with, "this never would have happened if it weren't for the Tea Party" every time a person who preferred Trump to Hillary kills someone regardless of the circumstances says more about them than it does reflect reality.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dead Reckoning posted:

Is there literally anyone who isn't a multi-millionaire who has a coherent, conservative, pro-Trump political philosophy? His whole approach to governing is FYGM.

If I kill someone while drunk, is alcohol to blame? No, but it certainly would seem that in most cases that it was an aggravating factor. By my estimation being crazy while dangerous rhetoric is being normalized is more problematic than being crazy in the absence of that rhetoric.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Also some talk about Priebus exiting the White House to serve as Ambassador to Greece as a consolation prize.

On vacation in Greece, they deserve him and can keep him.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Have you ever checked out the Donald?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

According to his rap sheet, the guy had a long history of being violent and erratic prior to Trump getting elected, and I see little reason to believe he wouldn't have continued to be violent and erratic irrespective of who won the election. Nothing about this guy screams "cares about being in the Overton window". The habit of certain posters to chime in with, "this never would have happened if it weren't for the Tea Party" every time a person who preferred Trump to Hillary kills someone regardless of the circumstances says more about them than it does reflect reality.

Dude, don't pretend this behavior hasn't been fostered and amplified by recent GOP events and stances.

You guys are just pulling the lone wolf excuse. If he was any other color or ethnicity, there'd be nothing but talk of cultural stigma.

I sincerely doubt that the majority of Muslim Extremist Terrorist are mentally healthy or stable. After all, they decided murder/suicide was a valid course of action

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 27, 2017

• Locked thread