Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
well why not
Feb 10, 2009

*dives through window*
HEY GUYS THE SWITCH IS BAD NINTENDO SUCKS don't buy it LOL
*dives out another window*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Thanks for coming, friend.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wheany posted:

Well I don't really see how a portable system does multiplayer any better than a non-portable one does, except if you want to punch the other players irl.

I also think that the length of the hunts is irrelevant to the game being better on one system versus another, except I get that it's a pain having to suspend in the middle of a hunt when you get to work or whatever. But if 15-minute missions are good on portable, they are probably good on a non-portable system too.

The dark secret that Breath of the Wild exposed is that EVERY game is better portable. You can take it with you and play on the go, with no downsides because if you're at home no one is stopping you from just sitting on the couch and playing like a normal console. That's the entire point of the Switch.

For games with a strong Japanese following it has more perks because people actually hang out and play their portable consoles together. In the West if we're not commuting or traveling we just sit in our darkened Man Caves and play over the Internet.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Minecraft: NINTENDO SWITCH VER.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

well why not posted:

*dives through window*
HEY GUYS THE SWITCH IS BAD NINTENDO SUCKS don't buy it LOL
*dives out another window*

Unironically wait until the revision we are all gonna trade in for next fall

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I won 3 of the 4 arms games I played. I just didn't like how it controlled. I also don't like fighting games that aren't smash bros.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

I will literally perform sexual favors for a pack in EXCLUSIVE Amiibo revision bundle

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tender Bender posted:

The dark secret that Breath of the Wild exposed is that EVERY game is better portable. You can take it with you and play on the go, with no downsides because if you're at home no one is stopping you from just sitting on the couch and playing like a normal console. That's the entire point of the Switch.

For games with a strong Japanese following it has more perks because people actually hang out and play their portable consoles together. In the West if we're not commuting or traveling we just sit in our darkened Man Caves and play over the Internet.

In glorious Nippon Nintendo is still the king

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Rexroom posted:

I guess you might like Disgaea 5 then. I've heard how the series is ridiculous in its way of handling stats, but it didn't click with me until I viewed this video about it. It kindled my interest, at least, but isn't it a grindfest? Is it just an exercise in tedium if I decide to dive in?

I haven't played 5 but prior Disgaea games do indeed allow you to break them in hilarious ways but only after like hundreds of hours of the most repetitive poo poo you've ever experienced. They're good games but you need to be able to stomach extreme tedium in order to make numbers go up and some people really enjoy that. I extremely don't.

I like Zeldas approach to game breaking where it's just part of the overall design and gameplay based, not spreadsheet.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im loling at the poor japanese wageslave dude that made hyrule castle after i used the bird power to glide into the gannon fight from across the moat.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

ethanol posted:

I will literally perform sexual favors for a pack in EXCLUSIVE Amiibo revision bundle

you have to offer something valuable to make a trade

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Zelder posted:

you have to offer something valuable to make a trade

You should change your name to Zinger

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Real hurthling! posted:

Im loling at the poor japanese wageslave dude that made hyrule castle after i used the bird power to glide into the gannon fight from across the moat.

The first time I went to try fighting Ganon I honestly thought this is what you were supposed to do. I went back to look around the castle and found this hella cool mini-dungeon. I'd recommend giving it a try.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I was able to play the tutorial and ai fight last night but then it ended so I'm hoping to play some more arms this next testpunch and maybe get a better handle on the controls.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nickoten posted:

The first time I went to try fighting Ganon I honestly thought this is what you were supposed to do. I went back to look around the castle and found this hella cool mini-dungeon. I'd recommend giving it a try.

Sick of it until dlc

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is the problem of the dock scraping the screen a real thing and if so does anyone have a recommended vendor for one of these 'dock socks' (that name holy poo poo)?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The dock interior has bumpers on the sides that hold the screen away from the front panel, so scraping shouldn't happen.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I will probably get ARMS out of the bargain bin around Christmas and put it back because lol the game is bad.

The game is called Arms because it has no legs

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the right to bear ARMS

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
FWIW. This is *probably* hinting at an announcement fairly soon given his past reporting and industry connections, but we'll see.

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/868466467062206464

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pierson posted:

Is the problem of the dock scraping the screen a real thing and if so does anyone have a recommended vendor for one of these 'dock socks' (that name holy poo poo)?

If your dock looks like its bent it may be defective otherwise its fine

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

i heard they were gonna port sun and moon to the switch and the next pokemon game was going to be on the ps4

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I keep missing these wild ARMS stress tests due to RL obligations. :(

eddiewalker posted:

I feel like the joycon straps should have been designed in a way that doesn't require official instructional videos, but here we are.

https://youtu.be/PG5n7-ncYDc

I like the video cut on step 4 because the person probably struggled with it for a minute or so. Even when put on correctly those things are a huge PITA to remove. God help you if someone isn't paying attention and puts one on backwards (which doesn't fit properly either).

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

it's not actually. thankfully the circlejerk will be short since the new Best Game Ever comes out shortly after

Octopath Traveler doesn't have a release date though. :confused:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Joycon should have a little loop for a strap built in if you want it the bumper is only necessary cause its dogshit as a individual controller

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I like the video cut on step 4 because the person probably struggled with it for a minute or so. Even when put on correctly those things are a huge PITA to remove. God help you if someone isn't paying attention and puts one on backwards (which doesn't fit properly either).

this was me the first 15 minutes of messing arouund with my switch. almost had a heart attack

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

The only thing I don't like about Arms is you can't really play it in handheld mode well, but it also requires an internet connection for the majority of the gameplay so I doubt Arms will be a game I play on say a plane often.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Fluffy posted:

I really hope we see more Octopath Traveler at E3. It looked so pretty. :allears:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Tender Bender posted:

You can take it with you and play on the go, with no downsides

Well, that really only applies if you intend to take the Switch with you at all times. Which of course applies to other things, like my DSLR camera for instance. "You can take it with you and take amazing pictures on the go, with no downsides".

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wheany posted:

Well, that really only applies if you intend to take the Switch with you at all times. Which of course applies to other things, like my DSLR camera for instance. "You can take it with you and take amazing pictures on the go, with no downsides".

Well you asked why portability is good for a game, and the answer is because "you can play at home and on the go" is strictly better than "you can play at home".

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Wheany posted:

can't you say this about everything.

you can only play the ps4 if you intend to be near electricity.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Zelder posted:

can't you say this about everything.

you can only play the ps4 if you intend to be near electricity.

I have the PS4 remote play app on my laptop. Checkmate, atheists.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Wheany posted:

I have the PS4 remote play app on my laptop. Checkmate, atheists.

aha, but you can only play remotely if you intend on bringing your laptop with you! i believe i've caught you in a *looks at notes scribbled on hand*..."slippery slope fallacy"

*blows bubbles out of pipe*

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Real hurthling! posted:

Why do people think this is going to happen? The Wii U never got a revision. The Gamecube never got a revision. The Wii only got a revision at the end of it's lifecycle, and it was bad. Nintendo doesn't do revisions for their home consoles

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Tender Bender posted:

Well you asked why portability is good for a game, and the answer is because "you can play at home and on the go" is strictly better than "you can play at home".

That is really lame. What if I want my games to have better graphics than what the Switch is capable of. Is it still "strictly better?"

This is such a boring and dumb argument that it's draining me. And I mean both your and my counter argument.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Wheany posted:

That is really lame. What if I want my games to have better graphics than what the Switch is capable of. Is it still "strictly better?"

This is such a boring and dumb argument that it's draining me. And I mean both your and my counter argument.

Did you know that nobody is forcing you to argue on the internet?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

i don't think nintendo was ever going to make a powerhouse console, even if the switch wasn't portable. that's not their intention or their goal.

"introducing the nintendo wii u pro, with power on par with the PS4 Pro/Xbox Scorpio, but none of the 3rd party support because we still hate them. it costs 500 dollars, and also we're bankrupt

Zelder fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 27, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im psyched for e3

i might take the day off for the nintendo thing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why do people think this is going to happen? The Wii U never got a revision. The Gamecube never got a revision. The Wii only got a revision at the end of it's lifecycle, and it was bad. Nintendo doesn't do revisions for their home consoles

More like guy dumbbody over here. Just wait

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Zelder posted:

i don't think nintendo was ever going to make a powerhouse console, even if the switch wasn't portable. that's not their intention or their goal.

Yeah. :yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh, you poor stupid bastard :allears:.

I bought it new at release :cripes:

I liked the commercial

• Locked thread