Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NWS prediction for Sunday starting to look better. 21% chance of rain and only projecting a drizzle at max during race time.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.8023&lon=-86.2672&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Drizzles during the race? That means jet dryers.

...uh-oh :stare:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Man the sky sure looks festive :ohdear:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Holy hell, buckle up and be safe.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Can we just build a dome over Indianapolis Motor Speedway? Or at least some awning over the important bits, like the racing surface. Great, thanks.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Ah ya'll be fineee.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

kidcoelacanth posted:

Is the Dixon movie an attempt to:

a) make the most boring movie of all time
or
b) make the first movie about a new zealander

The World's Fastest Indian is about a New Zealander and it's p good.

(Mark Hunt should've gotten a movie before Dixon, as he is the greatest Kiwi ever)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Didn't seem that crazy driving through it tonight.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
I met Hinch and Graham Rahal today! They signed my hat! Garage passes are the best. It was like ten hours ago and I'm still excited. What other sport in the world would let you just pop into the team staging areas like indycar does? It's nuts and it's great.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Was Hinch extremely cool

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Here's some of my best pics from yesterday's live Hinch podcast

Hinch showing off a "Carb Day" gift he once received :420:

TK comparing an old hardcard pic of Conor Daly to his current one

Closeup of Conor's old pic

Hinch's panel of driver wives/girlfriends
Emma Dixon, Beccy Hunter-Reay, Lauren Kanaan, and Becky Dalton (Hinch's gf)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Faaaaack. Forecast for Sunday on Darksky now looks like rain all day. Looks like I might be taking an Uber from the track to the airport on Monday.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lol, apparently they're going to blackout the race again. I can't fathom being that stupid.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
A monday race would be bad for attendance but good for tv ratings probably. A race that starts on sunday and is delayed until 5pm and then finished on monday would be bad for both.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
So uh I guess there's more momentum for that China race

quote:

INDIANAPOLIS (Saturday, May 27, 2017) - Surging global interest in the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race and the Verizon IndyCar Series was exemplified by the announcement Thursday in Beijing that INDYCAR has signed three Chinese outlets to broadcast races and otherwise promote the series starting with Sunday's 101st Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil.

"This is huge for INDYCAR and we hope it is viewed the same way by motorsports fans in China," said Stephen Starks, INDYCAR vice president of promoter relations. "It's a big step toward the development of the sport in China, of which we have for a long time wanted to play an important part."

Tencent, China's largest internet platform, will have live telecasts of selected Verizon IndyCar Series races, including the Indianapolis 500 and the season-ending GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma. Tencent will also provide on-demand options plus highlights and features.

High Sport will carry on-demand options of races to be determined, plus highlights and features. Also, Guangdong TV will show highlights and features. The agreements were aided by Mitime Group, a sports organization and subsidiary of Geely, a Chinese auto manufacturer.

Umm I guess this is good and any sort of rain won't be good for anyone. I hope the amount of rain and storms I had to deal with last night can keep the rain away on Sunday

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
This is being added to the OP and here for reference

In addition to the new agreement in China, the following countries/regions and networks will air Sunday's Indianapolis 500 either live or on delay:

code:
Australia, New Zealand and Pacific Islands - ESPN
Austria - Sport 1
Belgium - BeTV
Brazil - BAND
Canada - Sportsnet and TVA Sports
Caribbean - ESPN
Czech Republic - Nova Sport
Finland - Elisa Viihde Sport
France - Canal +
Germany - Sport 1
Greece - Nova Sports
Hungary - Digi Sports
Israel - One Sports
Italy - Sky Sports
Japan - Gaora
Latin America (excluding Brazil) - ESPN
Netherlands - Ziggo Sports
Middle East and North Africa - OSN
Romania - Digi Sports
Portugal - Sport TV
Russia and CIS - Viasat Sport
Serbia & ex-Yugoslavia - Arena Sports
Slovakia - Nova Sport
South Africa - Supersport
Spain - Movistar
Switzerland - Sport 1
Sub-Saharan Africa - Kwese Sports
United Kingdom - BT Sport

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NWS is saying something else:

quote:

Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 7am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 79. South southeast wind 6 to 10 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Yeah everything I've heard is rain ending around 7am then maybe/maybe not in the afternoon

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Oh hey there's Gil de Ferran signing autographs for some nerds fans

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Latest forecast is 50% all day until 7pm, usually means scattered tstorms.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i got a pork shoulder marinating so rain or no rain that puppy is getting slow roasted tomorrow

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Update time!

National Weather Service posted:

A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 79. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 8 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

They're using a 30%->60% graphic, so I'm guessing we're probably going to have a green track for the opening laps, and barring anything catastrophic, finish before the rain gets there.

I hope :ohdear:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
My fear its going to be 5 laps green, 15 laps yellow, 45 min red, ad infinium until we lurch across the halfway point and the race is called.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
If it is, the Chevys are hosed. They need the race to go the full distance to have the best chance.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

30% chance of rain from 9 am to 4 pm; increasing to 65% by 6 pm. There's a window, if they get after it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Indychat: for the first time in 12 trips, I have had good Mexican food. The Tamale Place kicks rear end.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
https://twitter.com/Indycar_Wxman/status/868439964186537990

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/868613047480397825

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Weather Underground says we have a window that's tigher than a gnat's rear end in a top hat to get the race in tomorrow:

So long as the race starts on time and we don't get too many shenanigans, we'll get to halfway at least. It might come up short, but your guess is as good as mine as far as when the skies open up for good.

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.
I am sorry that it rains at every race that I attend

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WindyMan posted:

If it is, the Chevys are hosed. They need the race to go the full distance to have the best chance.

Yeah, the question then becomes if you have a Honda, do you race your rear end off to be in the lead just past halfway, or take it easy and save full powaaa for lap 180.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, the question then becomes if you have a Honda, do you race your rear end off to be in the lead just past halfway, or take it easy and save full powaaa for lap 180.

Probably the latter since running the Honda at full powaaa tends to lead to and boom goes the engine

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If the thunderstorm warnings are to be believed, we might end up with a clear track just due to lightning. :ohdear:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/F1US/status/868238977651834882

WeatherChat: I'm reaaally hoping for a last minute shift in the weather overnight :(

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

KingShibby posted:

Oh hey there's Gil de Ferran signing autographs for some nerds fans

I got to meet...

Gil
Max Papis (Childhood hero. Super nice. Came right over when I said "mad max")
Al Unser Jr. (another child hero)
Stefan Johannson
Tero Palmroth
Tom Bagley
Chuck Hulse (Insanely nice guy. Seemed so enamored with being back. :). He teased us for being far too young to know of him, but man...he raced during an amazing time )

All of them signed. We also saw Bobby Unser. He looked tired, but he was really kind. Couldn't sign. He apologized in the most sincere, kind way though. Like one of the kindest things I've ever seen a driver do for a fan. Uncle Bobby is all class. (I actually appreciated that far more than any autograph).

I also stood next to Johnny Rutherford watching Military Drills and taking things in.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 28, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
At this point Penske probably has to send two cars on YOLO runs to keep Honda honest while the others crunch fuel/rain numbers

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Stupid rain is going to mess with my DVR setup, I really don't want to have to watch this live without being able to fast forward.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Don't forget to set your fantasy teams before tomorrow!

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Happy 500 Eve everyone :toot:

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

KingShibby posted:

This is being added to the OP and here for reference

In addition to the new agreement in China, the following countries/regions and networks will air Sunday's Indianapolis 500 either live or on delay:]

Juat a reminder that if your local broadcast is cursed with the ABC commentary, you should do yourself a favor by muting the TV and streaming the radio broadcast instead.

Edit: Or listen on an actual radio.

Theris fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/140833-interview-jack-miller-the-racing-dentist?showall=1&limitstart=

Nice little interview with Dr. Miller

• Locked thread