Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I get mad at people who don't format their dates correctly. I don't care if you're a bank teller or a student. There is one way and only one way to write the date. Units should be denoted in order of largest to smallest. That's how currency is written. We don't do any bullshit where we write the single digits before the hundreds or thousands. Anyone who tried to do so would be mocked as an idiot.

It is not a matter of opinion. It is not an opportunity to express your individuality. If you or your organization fails to use the iso 8601 format you are committing an error. Remember that scene in Borat when he tries to pass pubis as legal tender? That's what I think of your month/day/year bullshit. gently caress you.

looks like someone's an angry European

Not only am I gonna keep calling today May 27th, I'm also gonna keep measuring the outside temperature in Fahrenheit, because it's actually much better for that specific use case than Celsius, that's right I went there :smug:

quote:

If your buddy's wife made a pretty hard pass at you while she was drunk, but nothing at all happened and she was very obviously black out drunk, you don't have to say anything right? She's done this once before to me while she was drunk, so maybe it's just how she is when she's super far gone. There's no way I'd ever act on it (and there's no way she'd do something like this sober...I don't think), so I don't think there's any need to mention it to him, but this doesn't become a pattern. Also, I'm noticing she's always coming with him every time we hang out now.

Give it one more occurrence, then yeah maybe subtly clue him in on it

Don't suggest it has anything to do with you specifically, just say "your wife gets a little flirty when she's super drunk" or something like that. I dunno, if I were him I'd wanna know, but I'm ok with being overruled on this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
i forget who was wondering earlier, but I'm pretty sure the stuff in tubgirl is orange juice

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If you really consider this "buddy" a friend, you'll tell him right away. Cheaters are worthless and every second he's with her is a disgrace to himself.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm gonna take the opposite approach and say it's not worth telling him. How "hard" of a pass are we talking though? If it's just "puts her head on your shoulder while you were watching tv" then you're thinking too much of it, but if it was "sticks her tongue in your ear and says 'He's asleep and we'll never have to tell'" then you have to tell him.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Fahrenheit is a bad temperature measurement scale for bad people.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

"Hey babe I know you think he's strange but I promise you he's a good guy"

"I don't know, I was talking to him at the party and....I don't know he was just being so weird"

"C'mon, you know how he is around people. hey why dont you come along next time we hang out, just us, you'll see"

"Oh.......well, ok"

Hey goons my friends wife is totally making passes at me what do I do????

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 27, 2017

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KomodoWagon posted:

If you really consider this "buddy" a friend, you'll tell him right away. Cheaters are worthless and every second he's with her is a disgrace to himself.

Look at this boring rear end motherfucker.

Git on it goon, shes into you!

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

May 27th has the largest unit first. And some Germanic languages actually gently caress up the order of numbers (so 27 essentially becomes seven-and-twenty).

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
siebenundzwanzig.

E: drei Millionen sechshundertsechsundvierzigtausendvierhundertundzwölf

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 27, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The way I look at situations like that attempting cheating goon confession is that the guy is probably going to find out eventually, and there's pretty much no recovering a friendship once they find out one of their closest friends hid something like that from them. It's the kind of thing nobody wants to hear about their partner, but you are failing in your duties as a friend if you help them conceal it, even if it was just an attempt and nothing actually happened. I guess there will be edge cases where the attempt is just a drunken one-off event that you are 100% sure would never, ever happen again and it would be OK not to bring it up, but you say she has done it before, and if she does it frequently with you she's probably doing it to other guys who might not have the willpower to resist that you do.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The way I look at situations like that attempting cheating goon confession is that the guy is probably going to find out eventually, and there's pretty much no recovering a friendship once they find out one of their closest friends hid something like that from them. It's the kind of thing nobody wants to hear about their partner, but you are failing in your duties as a friend if you help them conceal it, even if it was just an attempt and nothing actually happened. I guess there will be edge cases where the attempt is just a drunken one-off event that you are 100% sure would never, ever happen again and it would be OK not to bring it up, but you say she has done it before, and if she does it frequently with you she's probably doing it to other guys who might not have the willpower to resist that you do.

This is why I kinda wanna know what the "pass" was. What if it was something like her saying she wants him to be happy or giving him a kiss on the cheek or anything equally mundane that he's just blowing out of proportion? There's no need to tell your friend about something like that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Police Automaton posted:

Fahrenheit is a bad temperature measurement scale for bad people.

I think Fahrenheit is more useful on a day to day basis for temperature as experienced by the average human.

0-100 represent a pretty decent range of livable conditions and you can quickly know to expect a bad time of the temperate falls out of that range.

Every 10 degrees also can be an easy shorthand for the weather you might expect. The weather is just about perfect in the 70s, but you might want a light jacket in the 60s and so on.

For anything even remotely technical Celsius is better without question. But I think Fahrenheit is more useful to the layperson.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

fruit on the bottom posted:

For anything even remotely technical Celsius Kelvin is better without question.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I don't trust any scale made by someone who can't spell "Kevin"

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I think Fahrenheit is more useful on a day to day basis for temperature as experienced by the average human.

0-100 represent a pretty decent range of livable conditions and you can quickly know to expect a bad time of the temperate falls out of that range.

Every 10 degrees also can be an easy shorthand for the weather you might expect. The weather is just about perfect in the 70s, but you might want a light jacket in the 60s and so on.

For anything even remotely technical Celsius is better without question. But I think Fahrenheit is more useful to the layperson.

no,

and thats why only a few dumb backwards countries use it

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
We learned it from watching you, Dad

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Fartbox posted:

no,

and thats why only a few dumb backwards countries use it

What an informative rebuttal.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just think what ever you're used to is easiest. It's like why I think weighing everything in grams for cooking is retarded vs just using proportion measurements like cups.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lol no its not

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh, for gently caress's sake, another thread I follow has been infected with this bullshit?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
don't worry guys, Fahrenheit is confirmed to be better

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Recent findings show that only DUMMIES use fahrenheit

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

how is "cup" even a measurement lol

i cant even

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Fartbox posted:

how is "cup" even a measurement lol

i cant even

Lol at this retard that thinks Fahrenheit is measured in cups.

Are you European or American? I need to know if insulting you for Eurovision makes sense

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i think we found the confessor

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

I don't trust any scale made by someone who can't spell "Kevin"

LOL if you don't measure the temperature in Enriques

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

maskenfreiheit posted:

this sounds like a great recipe for ending up getting murdered in your sleep by your kid

Which is fine so long as he gets a perfect score. You don't want a lovely "murder your parents" score.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

i forget who was wondering earlier, but I'm pretty sure the stuff in tubgirl is orange juice
actually, it's KoЯn

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Isnt the more granular measurement better for day to day stuff? Yeah? Fahrenheit wins for weather (not climate), and Celsius for everything else.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just think what ever you're used to is easiest. It's like why I think weighing everything in grams for cooking is retarded vs just using proportion measurements like cups.

Actually cups is simply impractical.

Baking with grams:
You take a bowl and set it on your scales. You'd drop an ingredient in until the scales show the correct weight, then add the next ingredient, rinse repeat...

Baking with cups:
You take a bowl, you take one or multiple cup measures, you measure the first ingredient, put it in the bowl, clean your cup measure, measure the second ingredient, clean your cup measure...

See where I am going with this? Way more to clean if you have to use a cup measure for every ingredient.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I prefer cooking with weight based measurements rather than volume based ones.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fahrenheit is good for weather because 0-100F is a decent measure for the temperatures it is possible for it to be outside

What is that in Celsius, like -10 to 40? Yeah that's so natural and effortless :rolleyes:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm Hispanic. If I have a scale in my kitchen and the police come in I'm gonna get shot or at best thrown in prison.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

There's a simple solution to that, HOMBRE

Kill all the police.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

loquacius posted:

Fahrenheit is good for weather because 0-100F is a decent measure for the temperatures it is possible for it to be outside

What is that in Celsius, like -10 to 40? Yeah that's so natural and effortless :rolleyes:

I guess if you're some kind of loving idiot who doesn't know how decimals and negative numbers work then sure, Fahrenheit is fine.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

loquacius posted:

It is, if you've never known anything else. That's why this discussion is pointless.

I made a joke, I didn't want you people to kill each other. I almost feel like on a G7 meeting.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I'm American. I have to poo poo on Celsius if I want to keep my healthcare

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Anyone who writes a recipe that includes grated cheese measured in cups needs to kill themselves

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Jose posted:

Anyone who writes a recipe that includes grated cheese anything measured in cups needs to kill themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

seriously. baking is so much easier when you weigh the ingredients.