Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Ivan's just about out of juice so there's not much he can do, but Claud should be nearly full given he's barely done anything today. What's a Dollamancer capable of in close quarters? I'm assuming every caster is OP in their own special way.

Janis can prevent all engagements hex-wide as a Grand Abbey, but she'd need a reason to blow all her juice like that. She's already cast a few spells this turn as well, so juice availability might be in question.

Marie is... doing whatever the hell she's doing with Jillian. Best guess is some sort of contractual exploit, but we don't have the necessary knowledge of all the contracts in play to see it.

Isaac is a wildcard, for all we know he's still got the power to cut strings at a distance. If the proverbial luckamancy golem called Fate takes the wheel, who knows what's gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

We just got a story involving Etsies, cheap, hit-absorbing creatures that a dollmancer can make. And Parson's idea, lots of updates back, for dealing with guns was to pit them against bats, a cheap, hit-absorbing creature and let the financial damage do the work.

Not sure how fast he could make 'em, though, or if they would still cost a full turn's juice like it does for novices.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Yeah I was thinking maybe he could just whip out a cloth and give it just enough Motion to count as a unit or something, but presumably Charlie's order to get to point blank would have the intention of negating that sort of thing. We'll find out next update, I guess.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
This is also a good view on how Charlie sees the playing field. Charlie doesn't make deals he can't benefit from, and he could see that Wanda having half-archons was not something he ever could ever turn to his benefit. In short, the deal is impossible in his mind. And this goes back to what I've said in the past. Charlie's end-goal for Erfworld is not to 'win' it's to 'live' He wants an unbreakable army with unparalleled weapons with absolute loyalty and no chance of leadership stabbing him in the back. That is his Grand Strategic Plan.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Were there any previous references to Bonnie and Tondelayo's (mutual?) antipathy?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
What happens exactly as far as the contract or the DoaL if Wanda turns to Faq right before getting shot?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

NihilCredo posted:

Were there any previous references to Bonnie and Tondelayo's (mutual?) antipathy?

No, but Tondelayo's always been characterized as hyper-protective and possessive of Charlie, so it's natural for her to view all other Archons as competition for his affection.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

No, but Tondelayo's always been characterized as hyper-protective and possessive of Charlie, so it's natural for her to view all other Archons as competition for his affection.

Bonnie also has a very different personality type in that she's focused on rules and regulations and seems to be more loyal to Charlescomm than to Charlie personally.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
If I had to work with Bonnie I would probably hate her too tbh.

I really like Tondelayo, too bad she's probably not going to survive the day.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Onmi posted:

This is also a good view on how Charlie sees the playing field. Charlie doesn't make deals he can't benefit from, and he could see that Wanda having half-archons was not something he ever could ever turn to his benefit. In short, the deal is impossible in his mind. And this goes back to what I've said in the past. Charlie's end-goal for Erfworld is not to 'win' it's to 'live' He wants an unbreakable army with unparalleled weapons with absolute loyalty and no chance of leadership stabbing him in the back. That is his Grand Strategic Plan.

Everything we know points towards immortality being his endgame, and I'd bet that he rigged his own death like Jojo rigged Sylvia's. With Parson being the one destined to take him down I'd bet the deal is something like "He can not be croaked by any unit of erfworld".

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this bit is gonna get pretty neat

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Wizard of Flaws, Nice.

Looks like Charlie was the one who ended up overplaying his hand. He could have won it all here if he had just left the thinkamancers alone.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It would be interesting if Tondelayo is decrypted and turns immediately back to Charlie. She seems to know and love him as a person in the way that lower-ranking Archons don't.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Can't say I didn't see something like this coming, but still neat. Deiform is really, really insanely dangerous and probably has to die.

isndl
May 2, 2012
The scariest part of it all is if you look at how it's all routed:

1. Isaac is in front of Bonnie, and can see whatever it is left behind between the Charlie/Wanda battle for control (Charlie needed physical contact, Wanda was at distance but had ownership and the Pliers in hand)
2. Isaac follows the strings to Wanda, no physical contact apparently needed
3. Isaac can see Charlie's Thinkagram through Wanda's eyes (!) via her string connected to Bonnie
4. Isaac can follow Charlie's Thinkagram (which goes off-hex!) and then follow strings back to the Archons surrounding Wanda
5. Isaac then cuts the strings of multiple Archons simultaneously, after at least four or five layers of remoteness

The action figure may also still be alive? There's seven dead Archons and seven string dolls in the center panel.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

isndl posted:

The action figure may also still be alive? There's seven dead Archons and seven string dolls in the center panel.

I suspect Isaac did that on purpose, so that Charlie could watch his beloved Archons keel over like the stringless puppets they now are.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

uh

holy poo poo

that was pretty excellent

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
A bit of a deiform ex machina, though.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It isn't an ex machina when the comic spends a lot of time and several strips setting this up.

I mean you could argue it's an abrupt or unsatisfying answer to the problem of being surrounded by a ton of archons with guns but it's not an ex machina by definition.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
There's also no telling what the deiform wants from Wanda and Gobwin Knob yet.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
That's a massive gain. Guns and Archons for decryption. Charlie can send more Archons in, but is he going to want to?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

Looks like Charlie was the one who ended up overplaying his hand. He could have won it all here if he had just left the thinkamancers alone.

Unlikely, as the Great Minds would probably have interfered as well. Their ultimate purpose may have been nebulous, but having Charlie win the war clearly wasn't it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

Unlikely, as the Great Minds would probably have interfered as well. Their ultimate purpose may have been nebulous, but having Charlie win the war clearly wasn't it.

Yeah but they were constantly crippled by indecision. Also they had no idea what was taking place under the bedrock. They had stopped using their abilities to spy on it because of the MK agreement and they had no reason to believe that Archons could get down there either. Even if they got the inkling, they still probably wouldn't have been able to act fast enough to do anything because of that indecision. Charlie would have been able to either convert or destroy Wanda right here and now if it weren't for Isaac. That would have been a huge win for him, and absolutely a game changer. So yeah, creating the deiform is a pretty bad blunder on his end. Deiform Isaac is a far more dangerous and unpredictable enemy than the great minds ever were.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 27, 2017

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Well hell.

I've been fruitlessly speculating all this time and now Isaac shows up and this changes everything holy poo poo.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zoe posted:

Well hell.

I've been fruitlessly speculating all this time and now Isaac shows up and this changes everything holy poo poo.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting that kind of power or any kind of directed purpose at all for some time.

Also, Charlie is down to two Archons that are allowed to see him in person. He's gonna need some time to cry.

ArgumentatumE.C.T. fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 27, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Question: why didn't Deiform cut Charlie's string directly? Potential answers:

1) He can follow magical links at any range, but he still has a limited range for cutting strings

2) He didn't cut their grandiocosmic strings (the ones that every Erfworlder has), rather he cut their connection to the Arkendish, and they dropped dead nonetheless. This would strongly suggest that yes, killing Wanda would destroy all the Decrypted.

3) He can't or won't actually kill Charlie for reasons of his own (maybe he knows Parson is Fated to do so and doesn't want to go up against that particular Luck-golem?)

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Poor Tondelayo. We are losing a lot of side characters with backstory. Duncan, Marie, Tondelayo. Basically the leiutenants of each side.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Donkringel posted:

Poor Tondelayo. We are losing a lot of side characters with backstory. Duncan, Marie, Tondelayo. Basically the leiutenants of each side.

Yeah, but there's a good chance that Duncan and Tondeyalo are coming back DeCrypted anytime now.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I don't think he actually followed strings and went all the way to Charlie and back. I think he "followed" them in the sense that he saw which direction they led, and saw the other strings coming from the same place.

But also yeah, it isn't clear whether he actually intended to kill all those archons, or just slice through the ties that bind them to Charlie. It's interesting if it's an accident, because it'd imply some things about the nature of Archons, but that might be a layer of complexity I'm just dreaming up.

I think he avoids being the bad kind of deus-ex-machina because (1) his origin was significant to the story already, and came with costs and (b) he might end up being a dangerous threat in his own right, or at least a problem.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Had a browse through the thread on the Erfworld forums and it's cute how a bunch of them are confused and angry because I guess they never noticed Isaac before or forgot about string cutting and all the established ways strings are connected or idk maybe just don't read very well.

I knew he'd get involved at some point during this turn and do terrifying things, I just wasn't sure what side he'd be on (if he wasn't aware of who'd destroyed the Temple) or if he was even sane enough to be on a side at all.

I'm still not quite sure what the limits of his powers are--he has a physical body which right now, along with his mind is probably not in the best of health, so this trance fusion might not be sustainable. Doesn't seem he can follow strings outside the hex either or I'd have assumed he'd have dealt with Charlie in a more straightforward manner. Either way he seems too OP to stick around in this state for long.

...is the doll still alive? Charlie's still watching all this?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Onmi posted:

That's a massive gain. Guns and Archons for decryption. Charlie can send more Archons in, but is he going to want to?

Getting the pliers back to Wanda for decryption, that's going to take some work.

Zoe posted:

...is the doll still alive? Charlie's still watching all this?

We think the doll is still alive as there were 7 'figures' made out of strings whose strings were cut and there were 7 archons present, but if it's alive it's at the bottom of the cart so the only things that'd be seen are the archons toppling over. The rest is out of sight.

khy fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 27, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Isaac severed these strings specifically to blind Charlie, so if the doll is still active, it's sloppy work from Mr. Deiform.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cat Mattress posted:

Isaac severed these strings specifically to blind Charlie, so if the doll is still active, it's sloppy work from Mr. Deiform.

Do we know -exactly- what he means by "blind"?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Wanda is going to be even more insufferable about Fate after this.

Also doesn't this invalidate Marie's current gambit? I suppose she might turn alone, but Wanda would lack motivation at this point, and the time factor is gone.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I suppose that it's possible that Deiform can't sever a unit's G-string the way the trance-fusion could, but can only sever one unit's connection to its overlord/artifact, but due to the relationship between the Archons and the Dish that kills them.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I suppose that it's possible that Deiform can't sever a unit's G-string the way the trance-fusion could, but can only sever one unit's connection to its overlord/artifact, but due to the relationship between the Archons and the Dish that kills them.

This seems needlessly complicated

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

He is a bunch of master class thinkamancers crammed into one. We already know that working as a group Thinkamancers can sever a unit's G-string remotely. So I'm pretty sure that's what he did here. It wouldn't surprise me if an archon's G-string is tied to the dish/charlie the same way other tool units might be tied to theirs. But I suspect at the heart of it, what Isaac did here is what Roger is going to try to do to Parson.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

quote:

Also doesn't this invalidate Marie's current gambit? I suppose she might turn alone, but Wanda would lack motivation at this point, and the time factor is gone.

On the other side:

TheDemon posted:

Wanda is going to be even more insufferable about Fate after this.

If Marie convinces Wanda that she is indeed Fated to return to Faq, this is a very good moment to tell her "darling, come along quietly and to do whatever I Fate says, it's for your own good"

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Parson promised Bunny would be uncroaked. Marie promised the top units of Faq would be uncroaked. There's a bunch of dead Archons that are extremely valuable.

Someone is not getting what he wants. Wonder who?

Also I always read the strings as something from the Greek myths where the Fates weave your life on a loom. When your thread was cut, that was is. That's why I didn't read the strings leading to Charlie, they lead to Titans or something like that. Dons string certainly didn't lead to Charlie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Jesus the official forums are bad. It's just a bunch of angry people yelling at each other over what is or isn't an 'rear end-pull' at this point. Never again.