Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Meridian posted:

World's static, right? Like there's no proc gen or anything so it's the same world every time? Do resources respawn/spawn randomly?

World's static, resources are static. There's a bit of random factor in what you get out of resource nodes (most will house one of two or rarely 3 materials), but other than that it's a completely premade map. No generation or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I thought resource generation was dynamic at world creation. I only make one game per update or so and I'm going to feel really dumb if I spend ten min or so looking for a crash fish that's always in the same spot now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sea treaders do generate resource outcrops but it's only a few specific types of resource.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm pretty sure most/some resources regen over time. Whenever I need quartz I scour the safe shallows and I'm certain I've found quartz in the same place multiple times.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

waht

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Looks like you built your moonpool halfway out of the water. The game cant really handle that.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Use the in-game report menu (press F8) to let the devs know. They really shouldn't even allow that.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 26, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zesty posted:

Use the in-game report menu (press F8) to let the devs know. They really shouldn't even allow that.

I'm getting flashbacks to very old bugs where it hated to let me build medkit dispensers on many patches of MP room wall, but it would let me attach it to a ladder just fine :v:

Though yes for how much of an emphasis this game has on aquatics, the fact stuff at surface level of the water is STILL janky as gently caress is just :psyduck: Is it getting worse? Did the lifepod always have water clipping through it's floor and I'm just forgetting it did in the past with rose tinted glasses?

Note to self. See if when I dim the lights in my cyclops, I'll see the 'fog' of some biomes floating through the submarine at waist level. One of the more subtle surface level quirks.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 27, 2017

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Meridian posted:

Game looks really neat, but this thread seems to be really mad at it. Kind of wanna swim around and pick up rocks.

This game is very neat. People madposting in here is a clue just of how much people care about it and want it to be better and succeed.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The game is really neat but gets a lot of complaints because it is not nearly as neater as it should have been by now. It feels like its been in development for a long time and is going very slow and then major features coming out that seem like a waste of time gets people worked up.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Question: what do you guys consider 'must have' in a base? I've set up a small-ish but fully functional base in the lost river - power from a geyser, some food from plants, water dispenser, fabricator, battery & cell charger, and a moonpool.

I'm probably going to add a scanner room since I've never used one and this place seems like it might be a useful location to try them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

double nine posted:

Question: what do you guys consider 'must have' in a base? I've set up a small-ish but fully functional base in the lost river - power from a geyser, some food from plants, water dispenser, fabricator, battery & cell charger, and a moonpool.

I'm probably going to add a scanner room since I've never used one and this place seems like it might be a useful location to try them.

Tallest point of the base has to be a multipurpose room with all the walls covered in windows, accessed by a ladder.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

The game is really neat but gets a lot of complaints because it is not nearly as neater as it should have been by now. It feels like its been in development for a long time and is going very slow and then major features coming out that seem like a waste of time gets people worked up.

It's a pretty small team, Charlie's also one of those innovator types so he'll occasionally get sidetracked with big ideas that go nowhere.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
From some of the dev/player chat on the forums, it seems they're wanting to make it more of a linear story driven game and do away with a lot of the open world exploration stuff. The only reason I bought it in the first place was for the sandbox exploration etc. :(

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

IMO the real elephant in the room is the game's performance. My system can run witcher 3 on high at 60 FPS, riding around at high speed and getting no hitches or serious frame rate drops as the world is being streamed in. In subnautica with medium settings, basically anytime it has to stream any of the world, or maybe a single loving particle effect, or a higher res texture that doesn't actually get shown, the game completely locks up until it's done. The frame rate randomly drops when nothing of note is going on for some reason. Just moving around usually feels really bad because the game is constantly hitching or even flat-out stopping for 2 seconds at a time, when you go up close to a fish it usually grinds for a second (this is really fun when said fish is a predator), the draw distance is tiny, it's just an utter and complete mess. I finally went to the big crashed ship last night, and all of this was still going on indoors, except it never loaded high-res textures for the ship exterior or much of its interior, so this was all going on in the midst of a blurry mess.

I would say "it's early access, there's nothing to worry about" if this wasn't my exact same experience with the game when I played it 11 months ago. There's fantastic content here and if they can actually get it running smoothly I think the game will be incredible. But I haven't seen a single bit of improvement in almost a year, even though this is the single biggest blocker to enjoying the game as it stands, and that's extremely worrying. I'll see how it runs on my new system when I have it, but they've got some serious ground to cover.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Someone that claimed to know what they were talking about said that the Subnautica team were trying to make the Unity engine do a lot more than it was ever designed to do. Which seems plausible to me, Subnautica is a really complex game.

Reminds me of Kerbal Space Program, afaik that still buckles under it's own weight if you try to build a big space station or something complicated.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
So long as they fix the draw distance, thats honestly the one thing that would get me playing again

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dongattack posted:

Someone that claimed to know what they were talking about said that the Subnautica team were trying to make the Unity engine do a lot more than it was ever designed to do. Which seems plausible to me, Subnautica is a really complex game.

Reminds me of Kerbal Space Program, afaik that still buckles under it's own weight if you try to build a big space station or something complicated.

Unity games as a whole always seem to have a lot of performance problems so I imagine the purpose of the engine must be for something besides video games

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got the lightning attack. I used it one time.

:stare:

Those are all dead. This thing destroys ecosystems.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird
I discovered a weird tip (and by discovered I mean i'm sure someone has noticed) but if you want to charge a powercell really quickly you can shove it into a docked Seamoth/Prawn Suit and it charges it up in no time. Dont do this in a base without constant energy flow as it sucks the base power like crazy but if you have a thermal setup it charges it super quick.

This also hosed me with my cyclops and prawn suit when I got really down low Leeches sucked a lot of energy from my Cyclops and I docked my nearly empty prawn suit and it sucked the batteries dry. Luckly i had some spares but i had to limp home on like 15% energy. Tense!

Digirat posted:

I got the lightning attack. I used it one time.

Lightning Attack?!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Robiben posted:

Lightning Attack?!

The seamoth perimiter defense system. That modification is a short ranged electric shock. Handy for freeing yourself from bites, mass killing harmless fish, and running half your battery dry trying to do the same to a single sandshark.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Am I the only person who has a lot of trouble catching fish because you can't grab them unless your mouse is perfectly still?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Section Z posted:

The seamoth perimiter defense system. That modification is a short ranged electric shock. Handy for freeing yourself from bites, mass killing harmless fish, and running half your battery dry trying to do the same to a single sandshark.

Well it maybe can't kill anything that matters, but in the last 20 minutes I went on a journey in a circle around the back of the aurora and saw both reapers and the edge of the world for the first time. It saved my life no fewer than 4 times, so I give it top marks anyway

I went about 100 meters down the edge of the world before chickening out. I got nothing out of the journey except the experience but it was thrilling and terrifying. I wonder if anyone's ever made a base way out there as a precipice on the edge of the world.

I only saw common stuff down there and I was too afraid to get out of the submarine to pick it up anyway

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Defense system + solar charger + persistence = dead reaper that had followed me into the safe shallows.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I found a really pretty spot for a base where I want to settle down permanently, but this rear end in a top hat warper keeps appearing right when I'm about to choose a spot. If I take the time to stasis it and slice it up over and over, will it respawn?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is there a way to deconstruct vehicles to get the resources back? Three of my cyclops lockers have become permanently borked.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ardeem posted:

Defense system + solar charger + persistence = dead reaper that had followed me into the safe shallows.

You can kill reapers? Awesome. Do they stay dead? Time to clear the map of the pests...

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Digirat posted:

I found a really pretty spot for a base where I want to settle down permanently, but this rear end in a top hat warper keeps appearing right when I'm about to choose a spot. If I take the time to stasis it and slice it up over and over, will it respawn?

Warper's can teleport themselves out of stasis bubbles.

As for vehicles, I'm pretty sure you can't deconstruct them. Ask your neighborhood reaper to help, I'm sure that'll work.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

you can still chop warpers up for a second or two before they teleport away. But I've yet to see how long it even takes to kill one. It's a pain in the rear end.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

... this game just became very godzilla. I might need some torpedoes.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

If you want to get rid of a warper, chuck stuff at it with a propulsion gun. Works with every mid-size creature, really (Small ones you can pick up directly, and throw them into walls or something. Works wonders with biters and those jumping eyeball crabs).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

here's my brand new submarine being built

here it is less than two seconds after landing in the water

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ambaire posted:

From some of the dev/player chat on the forums, it seems they're wanting to make it more of a linear story driven game and do away with a lot of the open world exploration stuff. The only reason I bought it in the first place was for the sandbox exploration etc. :(

What? How do you even convert what's here out of a sandbox and into something more linear? I can't imagine a worse mistake this late in development after having so many people buy into it because it's an exploration survival.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zesty posted:

What? How do you even convert what's here out of a sandbox and into something more linear? I can't imagine a worse mistake this late in development after having so many people buy into it because it's an exploration survival.

I heard rumors of removing a couple of the (easier) alternate entrances to the lost river so there's only 1 entrance...

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Zesty posted:

I assume they're talking about the beacon breadcrumbs. It only makes sense. Even open world games have a story to anchor it. it's just not very fun to execute a search pattern over every inch of the ocean so I'm happy for a linear story that gives me waypoints.

I would assume at this point that the first 10 hours are in reasonably complete form, so every few days you get a breadcrumb message and a new waypoint to check out. Tech unlocks may shift about and pacing may change a bit but the core story is pretty much what you play right now.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The game could definitely hold your hand a little more with regards to the waypoints and discoveries. You get led to the floating island and a few other places but that's about as far as they take you with regards to story. In order to find the Prawn suit arms I had to go look it up in the wiki because the wreck they are in is super hard to find by chance.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I wish there was some kind of automap functionality in the game, to make navigating areas like the deep barrier reef or finding your way back to wrecks/landmarks/... more pleasant. I've been relying on a wiki-made map for a while now in order to make the wandering-around aimlessly part of the game less unpleasant.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
So I have a bug where when I load into the game, my seamoth's crush depth is 200m regardless of the compensator upgrade that I have installed. I have to take it out and put it back in to reset the proper depth. This is an unfortunately surprise when you are at 900m below and your seamoth is inside the cyclops. I am hoping it doesn't happen when the seamoth is outside of the cyclops, because the drat thing would pop before I can even load into the game I think.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It happened to me before I had the cyclops at all. I would only quit the game above 200m if possible right now. I'm sure that bug has hosed someone over hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

double nine posted:

I wish there was some kind of automap functionality in the game, to make navigating areas like the deep barrier reef or finding your way back to wrecks/landmarks/... more pleasant. I've been relying on a wiki-made map for a while now in order to make the wandering-around aimlessly part of the game less unpleasant.

Use beacons. I'm having a good time on this playthrough using beacons to mark everything of interest. Every visited wreck gets a beacon. Mountain, floating island, jellyshroom cave entrance.

It's a copper investment but I enjoy it a lot more than using a map. Sometimes I feel lost and have no idea which side of the map I'm on after wandering a bit. That's an exciting feeling.

I used to use maps on old play through a on old builds. I now feel like I was missing out by doing so.