Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

bessantj posted:

One thing I've noticed about quite a few of these 'intellectuals' they tend to take 30 minutes where 5-10 would have been more than enough. Is there a reason for this other than they're gibbering wrecks?

I can't track it down atm, but somewhere in the thread there's a discussion of the how and why of youtube video mechanisms and how they incentivise bad practices. I think it's more than length==more ads, I think a length minimum of right around 15 minutes also effects the likelihood of suggested video or feed display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I will admit about HBomberguy's videos is that, while they're good at owning dumb Youtubers, it's a little cringeworthy when he does that "obviously forcing himself to act like he's laughing a bunch" thing. Like I get that he's trying to indicate that the clip he just showed (or whatever) is so dumb/bad that it warrants a bunch of laughing, but it's really obviously being forced on his part.

yeah, i really want to like hbomberguy because it seems like he does good poo poo, but he does that typical youtube thing where you have to try and make everything 100% energy and excitement all the time. it's exhausting to listen to. i guess that's why i prefer stuff like S&J.

also it's been a while since i saw it but iirc his pewdiepie video was a ripoff of a much funnier + clever stewart lee bit

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

I can't track it down atm, but somewhere in the thread there's a discussion of the how and why of youtube video mechanisms and how they incentivise bad practices. I think it's more than length==more ads, I think a length minimum of right around 15 minutes also effects the likelihood of suggested video or feed display.
Under the old youtube system long videos (30+ minutes long with no upper cap) of consistent length got you recommended more on people's feeds. Now it's consistent videos of 15-30 minutes after their last retuning.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The funniest thing about Sargon is that you can use Sargon to disprove Sargon's statements about Sargon.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Lovechop posted:

it's exhausting to listen to. i guess that's why i prefer stuff like S&J.

I think most of these YouTuber assholes adopt the tone where they imagine they're in bar, in a conversation with the stupidest person in the world and goddamn but they are totally destroying them, 720° power dunks over and over, just obliterating them with the loving basic facts of the universe, those loving morons!!! Then they want to give each other high fives but they're too badass and cool smart people to do that.

Whereas Shaun's tone is like a dad patiently walking a child through their lies and excuses, and now they need to go apologize to the old lady next door.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

only bad thing about hbomberguy is he thinks the prequels are good which makes me question all of his opinions including all the ones i agree with. it makes me question my very self.

more like hbummerguy.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

My one complaint about hbomerguy's takedown videos is that he'll hammer on the same thing a lot. I don't think his laugh is fake, but I don't think Jon Tron slurring communists is the funniest poo poo in the world

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sax Solo posted:

I think most of these YouTuber assholes adopt the tone where they imagine they're in bar, in a conversation with the stupidest person in the world and goddamn but they are totally destroying them, 720° power dunks over and over, just obliterating them with the loving basic facts of the universe, those loving morons!!! Then they want to give each other high fives but they're too badass and cool smart people to do that.

Whereas Shaun's tone is like a dad patiently walking a child through their lies and excuses, and now they need to go apologize to the old lady next door.

What I like about the "SJW" Community on YT is there's a lot of diversity. If I want a big intellectual discussion, Shaun, Kristi Winters and Garrett are my options. If I want edutainment, ContraPoints and hbomberguy are my bros. (also I get to look at Contra) If I want something nice and informal where they just say what I personally think ("gently caress all these idiots"), I have Kevin Logan and others.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

My one complaint about hbomerguy's takedown videos is that he'll hammer on the same thing a lot. I don't think his laugh is fake, but I don't think Jon Tron slurring communists is the funniest poo poo in the world

i find it funny because jontron is far dumber than someone his age should be. you'd assume he's 19 or something based on the poo poo he says.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Do you still have the link? It's been the most baffling loving trend of all time and that would actually make sense of it.

Nope, I've looked and I can't find it, other than articles about the phenomenon where independent actresses say they get that request a lot.

Groovelord Neato posted:

only bad thing about hbomberguy is he thinks the prequels are good which makes me question all of his opinions including all the ones i agree with. it makes me question my very self.

more like hbummerguy.

Honestly, I've realized the prequels have a pretty good story, they are just badly scripted, directed and acted, with way too much dumb fluff. HBum really likes the whole "this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause" angle of them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DS2 is the best DS game though.

They are all good games but DS2 is my favorite.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

no it's the worst one.

that still means it is an amazing game. it also is the one that got me fully into the series. i liked hbomb's vid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fight me,

(which you actually can do because bellbro best pvp)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I will paste all my stuff about that video from the dark souls thread if you make me

Groovelord Neato posted:

i find it funny because jontron is far dumber than someone his age should be. you'd assume he's 19 or something based on the poo poo he says.

It is funny. I think he just over plays it. He's great at putting people on blast though. My coworker didn't know anything about any of this but seeing the petition video he knows Carl got lit the gently caress up

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

link i'd honestly like to read em because i had my own thoughts on the video (because he is wrong on some stuff).

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Forceholy posted:

So Laci Green posted a follow up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZGVlb9cwYg
"Both sides are bad,you guys!"

Man, somebody's principles sure come cheap. Either that or she's just real dumb.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Some people speculate (seen it on her twitter feed) she's now dating Chris Ray Gun, that might be why this is happening.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Right. Cheap.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

And extremely low standards too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i forgot who that was then remembered it was that guy from twitter i kept dunking on.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

He's very early 20s though right?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

bessantj posted:

no he's probably 27 at this point

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bessantj posted:

he's 27 lmao

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Sweet Jesus.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

bessantj posted:

Sweet Jesus.

I mean, he's a half-Iranian who thinks he's a white nationalist, of course he's as stupid as a pile of poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdOgvdbl314

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
The alt-right is legitimately a cult, especially in gaming circles. I would almost feel bad for them if they didn't want to kill everyone but straight white people

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Low Desert Punk posted:

The alt-right is legitimately a cult, especially in gaming circles. I would almost feel bad for them if they didn't want to kill everyone but straight white people

it is kinda awesome how future generations are gonna have to explain that an Armenian lady mildly criticizing video games made crazy whites so mad they had to commit the next holocaust.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Al-Saqr posted:

it is kinda awesome how future generations are gonna have to explain that an Armenian lady mildly criticizing video games made crazy whites so mad they had to commit the next holocaust.

"...and all of this started when radical Anita Sarkeesian assassinated the Arch-Duke Nukem"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

You don't understand her first video about Peach had two legitimate problems that justifies everything

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

Some people speculate (seen it on her twitter feed) she's now dating Chris Ray Gun, that might be why this is happening.

My other guess was that she's dating some MRA dude now like Shoeonhead is. MRA dick must be magical.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That's just great.

You'd think they way that gamergate reacted Zoe Quinn demanded all men be castrated as the only avenue to world peace and Anita Sarkeesian personally killed their favourite pets and set fire to their mothers.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

bessantj posted:

That's just great.

You'd think they way that gamergate reacted Zoe Quinn demanded all men be castrated as the only avenue to world peace and Anita Sarkeesian personally killed their favourite pets and set fire to their mothers.

It still boggles my mind that GamerGate became a thing because one giant pissbaby of a manchild couldn't handle being dumped, and a hundred more pissbabies were willing to believe the drivel he was selling.

It also boggles my mind that the birthing grounds for the fascist resurgence came about because Lowtax banned a bunch of pedos 11 years ago.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

SteelMentor posted:

It still boggles my mind that GamerGate became a thing because one giant pissbaby of a manchild couldn't handle being dumped, and a hundred more pissbabies were willing to believe the drivel he was selling.

It also boggles my mind that the birthing grounds for the fascist resurgence came about because Lowtax banned a bunch of pedos 11 years ago.

Lowtax never could see the long game.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SteelMentor posted:

I wonder what the criteria was for who to ban and who to mod?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bessantj posted:

One thing I've noticed about quite a few of these 'intellectuals' they tend to take 30 minutes where 5-10 would have been more than enough. Is there a reason for this other than they're gibbering wrecks?

for the same reason they don't write articles instead of making long rear end videos - they love to hear themselves speak and are convinced of their superior intellects. the audience for people who want lovely vlogs instead of vlogs tends to prefer people speaking instead of reading and understanding the written word, i'll leave the implication hanging

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

I wonder what the criteria was for who to ban and who to mod?

Subtly

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I don't think his laugh is fake

Your opinion is wrong.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Midig posted:

Your opinion is wrong.

He's a fake laugher, he laughs like a hwhite person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He's an excitable boy with lots of energy who can appreciate absurdity.

• Locked thread