Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
hots is bad and so can you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Don't play with hots and/or tcjimbo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Murky is good

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Probius is so much fun omg. I've found a new favorite character :allears:

Still not sure whether I prefer cannon or warp rift build though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Macaluso posted:

Murky is good

And therefore, HotS is good.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Ciaphas posted:

Probius is so much fun omg. I've found a new favorite character :allears:

Still not sure whether I prefer cannon or warp rift build though.

I should really try out the warp rift build, but I just have too much fun building cannons.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
My friends usually rely on me to shot-call but I've definitely made two calls in matches in the last few days that were like direct and absolute reasons for losing us the game even after playing well mechanically.

Sometimes everything works out exactly as you planned, sometimes you just roll the dice and bust. The only thing you can do is just try and play the best you can and try to corral people to what you think is the best outcome; they won't always agree with you and they don't have to, part of the madness of these kind of games is the intense flow of interlocked decision-making that occupies every facet of it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mind over Matter posted:

I should really try out the warp rift build, but I just have too much fun building cannons.

I would enjoy cannon build more if I could actually get the drat things to attack heroes. :mad:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Ciaphas posted:

I would enjoy cannon build more if I could actually get the drat things to attack heroes. :mad:

They deliberately set up the cannon's AI to prioritize minions over heroes and didn't give you the option to manually target it to force players to consider how they want to deploy it to get value out of it instead of just being able to throw it out whenever and go to town with it.

So I expect manual targeting to become a thing when Probius finally goes through a rework a year or so from now. :v:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Ciaphas posted:

Play Gazlowe

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Holy moly just won a Hanamura map 7-0 taking a keep and they never hit 10

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Ciaphas posted:

I just tried out the warp rift build and it definitely doesn't feel like my style as much as cannons. Not that one game is a decisive thing, just initial impressions.

W.T. Fits posted:

They deliberately set up the cannon's AI to prioritize minions over heroes and didn't give you the option to manually target it to force players to consider how they want to deploy it to get value out of it instead of just being able to throw it out whenever and go to town with it.

I did not know that. On the one hand, interesting. On the other hand, sort of stupid.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

blastron posted:

Cho gets the movement, melee attacks, and can chuck a bomb. Gall has nearly no movement control, ranged spell attacks (no autos really short cooldowns), and can detonate the bomb Cho chucks.

Basically Gall is a second ability bar, controlled by another player, stapled onto Cho.

Cho is a hero.

Gall is a permanent abathur hat on Cho.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Xae posted:

Cho is a hero.

Gall is a permanent abathur hat on Cho.
Cho is like 1/2 a real tank.

Gall is like 4/3 a real assassin.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Like, the level 1 talent for Probius is flexible and should be adjusted based on the map and enemy team composition, but the level 7 cannon talent isn't really worth it. You need to have the enemy team (and only that) fight in range of your cannon for ridiculously long times to get any appreciable value out of that talent, all while those have to ignore Probius, the easily destroyed cannon and the Pylons. You'd probably get more cannon damage out of rift shock, since ten seconds is a pretty long time in this game.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
I play with some guys who like to play Cho'Gall and I quite like playing Auriel. Implementing draft swaps would make this game so much more fun.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Zwiebel posted:

Like, the level 1 talent for Probius is flexible and should be adjusted based on the map and enemy team composition, but the level 7 cannon talent isn't really worth it. You need to have the enemy team (and only that) fight in range of your cannon for ridiculously long times to get any appreciable value out of that talent, all while those have to ignore Probius, the easily destroyed cannon and the Pylons. You'd probably get more cannon damage out of rift shock, since ten seconds is a pretty long time in this game.

Is the q talent at level 1 worth taking? The one pro game with Probius that I watched had that. It seems lackluster to me. But maybe I've been using q wrong the whole time.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

bamhand posted:

Is the q talent at level 1 worth taking? The one pro game with Probius that I watched had that. It seems lackluster to me. But maybe I've been using q wrong the whole time.

It's more damage than the Warp Rift talent (at least before you account in additional charges of Rift).

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

bamhand posted:

Depends on the enemy team more than anything. If their team composition can just poke and outrange you much better than your team and your team can't dive them for safer engagements either, then the Q talent can make your game plan much safer since it makes detonating the rifts easier and quicker. Aside from that, it's sometimes just free damage. It's the safe pick that doesn't play towards the map.
Like, I'd always take Cannon on Spider Crypt and Rift on something like Hanamura, but in either cases I'd consider the Q talent if the enemy and friendly team composition suggests I can't team fight safely otherwise.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Probius is all about rift as far as I can tell; the cannon is just a distraction that you should ignore in favor of him or his pylons.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

Probius is all about rift as far as I can tell; the cannon is just a distraction that you should ignore in favor of him or his pylons.

wrong

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I like the pity highlights they give you at the end. Our team got destroyed and I got "54% of team damage done by nukes"

I fired one nuke.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

care to share more than a one-liner? I'm vastly prefering the rift build so far

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 28, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

care to share more than a one-liner?

So from my experience playing as and against Probius, the rift focused builds are the worst. They provide far less zoning than a cannon, and aren't much of a deterrent. You always need to be near the rifts for them to zone an enemy out, but that's not the case with cannons. You are already tied to being near your pylons for mana, having the cannon around isn't a huge issue. You can easily and quickly complete the lvl1 quest, giving the cannons a huge boost in damage and stealth reveal. Once you hit 7, there should pretty much never be a time you're without a cannon up. You can quickly use your Q/W combo to clear waves, so your E will be focusing champions a lot and in the midst of a team fight or even a small skirmish, the extra damage from the cannon will kill you if you don't respect it. Once you hit 10 and pick up weaponize pylons, your ability to create a huge zoning force that can easily secure a lot of objectives and if you set up properly can be part of a great nest of cannons and pylons. Post 10, you'll be a pushing monstrosity and the cannon ability to zone and disrupt your opponents is far more useful and powerful than using your wave clear to be your main damage source as well. Probius should almost always be pushing lanes hard, and having to worry about your CDs possible being down (even if they are relatively short) if someone comes to disrupt you is not great. Also, if they have a stealth hero and you pick anything but gather mats at lvl1 just don't play probius.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I like the pity highlights they give you at the end. Our team got destroyed and I got "54% of team damage done by nukes"

I fired one nuke.
Alarak is hilarious for getting a callout on the MVP thingy. You get "Silencer" for high silence uptime... because, yeah, we may have gotten trounced but I was landing Discord Strikes all game.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

HelixFox posted:

I play with some guys who like to play Cho'Gall and I quite like playing Auriel. Implementing draft swaps would make this game so much more fun.

Team League, my droog

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

All I know about probius is that a double push via Abathur clone can make short work of towers and forts.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Man make a god drat Warcraft map already Blizz, seriously what the hell

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Semper Fudge posted:

Agreed, the fact that we don't have a Dread Wastes map with Mantid vs Pandaren is pretty unacceptable.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I've been looking forward to an AV style map in HotS

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I feel like there's a 0% chance the eventual Warcraft map won't be Alterac Valley (much more condensed obviously). So much of it just makes too much sense. A lot of the objectives would work well as a HOTS map

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Semper Fudge posted:

All the maps that aren't diablo, starcraft, or overwatch are warcraft. (Because warcraft is a super generic fantasy world when it comes down to it, and covers just about every fantasy genre)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Spudd posted:

I've been looking forward to an AV style map in HotS

Considering the reception to Hanamura, I don't think something as complex as AV is smart at this point. Even if you simplify it/remove all of the side quests and merc camps/collection stuff that used to be necessary and just make it creep march to kill the general.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Report Gazlowe for going to Snowfall Graveyard

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The only fun thing I remember doing in AV is fishing, so please make a fishing contest map

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Stitches would be 100% banned on that map.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

SirSamVimes posted:

Stitches would be 100% banned on that map.

In part due to him hooking Drek'thar out of the base and resetting him

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Midnightghoul posted:

In part due to him hooking Drek'thar out of the base and resetting him

I meant the fishing one but that too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Looking forward to snowballing dudes off the Dun Baldar bridge once more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
They could just make an Eye of the Storm style map.