Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Do it ironically posted:

hey man this isn't supposed to be a poo poo on alberta thing, i did not like my time living there in red deer but kids are idiots, especially high school kids we all know high school is the be all end all of your life, and that with the huge unemployment blah blah blah

it was supposed to be a good thing like hey I actually have traveled across from big cities to small cities to a medium city I'm in now into probably a small city I'm in now in interior BC and made a bunch of friends was a lot of fun to get perspective I'm just trying to find other mid thirty adults who like dungeons and dragons where I live
How do you deal with the conversation going to a terrible place every five minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

cowofwar posted:

How do you deal with the conversation going to a terrible place every five minutes?

same way everyone who posts on somethingawful.com since 1999, you poo poo post 95% of the time and have 2 or 3 threads you don't are we kidding anybody that new people pay money to join these forums

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
has anyone formulated a theory that says like lived experience is boiled frog syndrome

and everything is as poo poo and broken as we say but because time goes by so slowly for us we don't really feel it

cuz like in 500 years our refugee ancestors are going to wonder what the gently caress we were thinking obliterating everything north of latitude 50 and draining the ogllala aquifer but for the next thirty years i just want to give my unborn child the life it deserves by any means necessary

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

The future of the Canadian economy is selling land to countries like Bangladesh, Maldives, and Kiribati that are going to be underwater in 10 years. Oil extraction is actually extremely shrewd and forward thinking.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

Equalize the lower classes through massive increases in taxation of the higher classes, lifting people above the poverty line and then bringing everyone up from there.

Probably means the resident thrice the median income 'leftist' STEMlords in this thread will be slumming it with the rest of us and I might even lose out being just a hair above but if that's the price we pay, I can live with it.

Yeah, that's a totally not-self-interested opinion coming from some dude who repeatedly brags about living in a low CoL area. If you think that people making 3x the median income (approx 85k CAD) are driving wealth inequality in any meaningful way you're just clueless (also lol at thinking that the typical profile of such people are that they are STEMlords and not just some random rank-and-file public sector employee like teachers or nurses).

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

maybe if he did stem he'd have a better sense of the quantities involved (and the painfully low income potential for most stem grads)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I feel Quebec should diversify away from Bombardier into data centres, internet trunks, and possibly bitcoin farming facilities with the cheap energy they are stealing profits from Newfoundland with. Sacre bleu

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The breakout industry Canada needs is farming WOW gold and conquering EVE Online

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

vyelkin posted:

The breakout industry Canada needs is farming WOW gold and conquering EVE Online

Goonfleet has been advertising lately!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

WoW gold is loving cheap as dirt these days. It's a worse prospect than Canadian housing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

WoW gold is loving cheap as dirt these days. It's a worse prospect than Canadian housing.

If it's cheap that means the market can only go up up up. WoW gold will only ever go up in value. It's an investment opportunity. You don't want to get priced out of the market forever, do you?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm sure they could open up a bitcoin mine in the territories.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Canada's #1 growth industry for the future is cosmetics pyramid schemes

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

We can retrain oil patch workers to mine BitCoin and still call 'em rig pigs!

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'm sure they could open up a bitcoin mine in the territories.

All that cold air means you don't need liquid nitrogen poured directly on your rig!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Canadians should all be empowered to go abroad and sign up third worlders under them in their MLM schemes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Who needs to go abroad for that when we have the TFW program?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Margaret Wente status update: still a useless, thick oval office.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/the-original-sin-of-white-privilege/article35124053/

quote:

Most of the callers to the CBC program were not in an atoning mood. They were angry, defensive and dismayed. They pointed out that not all white people are equally advantaged, and cited their own family histories at length. “I have a labouring job because I don’t have Grade 11,” said one caller. “I don’t have privilege. Professors at OISE have privilege.”

No one would argue that privilege doesn’t exist, or that racism is extinct, or that these things don’t matter. Of course they do. But privilege comes in many forms. One of the most important privileges anyone can have – far more important to life outcomes than skin tone – is an intact two-parent family. Too bad they don’t teach that in school. Maybe they should.

I've never actually encountered a real person that talks about high school grades like loving Ricky from Trailer Park Boys. That's really quite something.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 27, 2017

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 26, 2018

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I'm glad that your slide into small l liberalism has opened up a whole new world of smug posturing where you can simultaneously belittle other people while implicitly showing off how tolerant and open minded you are.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

James Baud posted:

You should really look at census data for education in your neighborhood. Even now, high school graduation rates are only something like 75%. For old people (like, pre boomer retirees who call talk radio shows, they're *way* lower).

I know that, and I have friends that dropped out of high school, but I usually hear "I didn't finish high school" or something, not "I've only got my grade 11."

Like, does it really matter when you decided to drop out? No one's going to give you a job with a grade 11 education that wouldn't give you the job with only a grade 10 education.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Helsing posted:

I'm glad that your slide into small l liberalism has opened up a whole new world of smug posturing where you can simultaneously belittle other people while implicitly showing off how tolerant and open minded you are.

My dude if there's anything we can all come together as Canadians on every part of the woke spectrum, can't it be dunking on Margaret Wente?

Oh the poor Scottish Canadians can't find loving haggis at the grocery wtf

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
The point being it reads like Wente made it up.

There's not really enough evidence to believe she did, but on the other hand she's Margaret Wente.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Utgardaloki posted:

The point being it reads like Wente made it up.

There's not really enough evidence to believe she did, but on the other hand she's Margaret Wente.

She doesnt make things up.

She steals from other sources.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

My dude if there's anything we can all come together as Canadians on every part of the woke spectrum, can't it be dunking on Margaret Wente?

Oh the poor Scottish Canadians can't find loving haggis at the grocery wtf

I've actually seen haggis-flavoured chips at the store before, they were pretty good.

Besides which, the issue with haggis is a more general issue with organ and blood-based foods in Canada in general -- they're just really hard to find, you need to go to a specialty shop. I know where I can get haggis and morcilla and all that stuff in Calgary, it's just not at the supermarket.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

I know that, and I have friends that dropped out of high school, but I usually hear "I didn't finish high school" or something, not "I've only got my grade 11."

I've heard that before. It's not super common but it's not some bizarre thing. It's a particularly common turn of phrase among older generations, probably since as someone pointed out they were the ones more likely to actually have to use that language on a regular basis.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 26, 2018

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

vyelkin posted:

I've heard that before. It's not super common but it's not some bizarre thing. It's a particularly common turn of phrase among older generations, probably since as someone pointed out they were the ones more likely to actually have to use that language on a regular basis.

Let's not stop PT6A from punching down at some manual laborer who isn't showing the appropriate degree of wokeness here. He's earned the right to this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

blah_blah posted:

Let's not stop PT6A from punching down at some manual laborer who isn't showing the appropriate degree of wokeness here. He's earned the right to this.

I forgot, obviously, that a lack of formal education entitles one to be an ignorant bigot. Silly me!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

blah_blah posted:

Lol does wokeness equate to graduating from high school now

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

It equates to how much you've got out of bed dummy

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CLAM DOWN posted:

I knew I'd earned it somehow.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Risky Bisquick posted:

I feel Quebec should diversify away from Bombardier into data centres, internet trunks, and possibly bitcoin farming facilities with the cheap energy they are stealing profits from Newfoundland with. Sacre bleu

I'm unemployed and looking for work in Alberta and was surprised when yesterday I literally saw a bunch of postings for people looking to start a mining operation in loving Drumheller. Some company run by Latvian libertarians I think? Bitfury. They seemed legit as far as the industry goes (which doesn't say much, but a lot more corporate than Jimmy with a server in his basement).

Anyways I'm just amazed and bewildered that they're trying to set up in small town Alberta... Like, why? That towns entire economy is a dinosaur museum and its in the middle of a desert. Was the warehouse for free or something?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

attackmole posted:

I'm unemployed and looking for work in Alberta and was surprised when yesterday I literally saw a bunch of postings for people looking to start a mining operation in loving Drumheller. Some company run by Latvian libertarians I think? Bitfury. They seemed legit as far as the industry goes (which doesn't say much, but a lot more corporate than Jimmy with a server in his basement).

Anyways I'm just amazed and bewildered that they're trying to set up in small town Alberta... Like, why? That towns entire economy is a dinosaur museum and its in the middle of a desert. Was the warehouse for free or something?

They probably got a bunch of hand outs from the locals by hand waving about tech and such.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I mean I applied so maybe it's working.

Yeah, I'm getting a little desperate.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Let us know if your paychecks clear. If they offer to pay you in butts, make for the exit.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Don't you have a math degree or something? Learn Python/R, go be a data scientist somewhere. Avoid all things cryptocurrency-related like the plague.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

blah_blah posted:

Don't you have a math degree or something? Learn Python/R, go be a data scientist somewhere. Avoid all things cryptocurrency-related like the plague.

Focusing on getting my database skills up to par right now and maybe taking some BI courses in the fall. I think that's more practical for my current skillset than trying to bumrush some development skills tbh. Shoulda started upgrading some skills earlier but in my millenial stubbornness I was really hoping that a Master's degree in math would get me in the door somewhere and I could learn the rest on the job. Hasn't worked out so far (although I've gotten close a few times).

I apply to loving anything I'm vaguely qualified for that leads to a non-garbage career, man. 7 years of pure math without additional business or coding skills didn't exactly make me a hot target. Doesn't help that I mostly spent my summers doing menial retail/restaurant/other entry level work instead of doing more serious internships. I hand in my resume to lot of places I'm not that excited about. Currently my only lead is that I'm somewhere along in the interview process with JD Irving out east. I hadn't heard about them because I'm a westerner but apparently they're evil as gently caress. I don't even care anymore, and it looks like at least they have some interesting industrial problems to work on. Anyways the rent is ridiculously cheap out east so I figure at least it would be easy to save money. There's a certain irony in potentially being an Alberta heading out to the maritimes for work -- usually goes the other way around.

I've gotten pretty used to hearing "you seem smart, but we're going to go with a more traditionally qualified candidate."

\CanadaCareersDerail.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 27, 2017

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

attackmole posted:

Focusing on getting my database skills up to par right now and maybe taking some BI courses in the fall. I think that's more practical for my current skillset than trying to bumrush some development skills tbh.

I apply to loving anything I'm vaguely qualified for that leads to a non-garbage career, man. 7 years of pure math without additional business or coding skills didn't exactly make me a hot target. Doesn't help that I mostly spent my summers doing menial retail/restaurant/other entry level work instead of doing more serious internships. I hand in my resume to lot of places I'm not that excited about. Currently my only lead is that I'm somewhere along in the interview process with JD Irving out east. I hadn't heard about them because I'm a westerner but apparently they're evil as gently caress. I don't even care anymore, and it looks like at least they have some interesting industrial problems to work on. Anyways the rent is ridiculously cheap out east so I figure at least it would be easy to save money. There's a certain irony in potentially being an Alberta heading out to the maritimes for work -- usually goes the other way around.

I've gotten pretty used to hearing "you seem smart, but we're going to go with a more traditionally qualified candidate."

\CanadaCareersDerail.

I was a math PhD who had taken one computer science course in my first year of undergrad and nothing since then. Glad to give advice over PMs or whatever.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
e.
n/m that was mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

blah_blah posted:

I was a math PhD who had taken one computer science course in my first year of undergrad and nothing since then. Glad to give advice over PMs or whatever.

Appreciate it, I'll bug you sometime.

Anyways right now I'm just kinda the poster child of what happens if you do a very academic not applied degree, have poo poo work experience and try to transfer to industry.

On the plus side I have a friend who's in the same position, except his useless academic degree was in English so he's having an even harder time getting interviews. I guess that's less of a plus and more of a buddy in misery.

I don't know if it's similar numbers across the country, but I've had two different junior analytics jobs in Calgary now tell me in interviews that they got 300+ applications and narrowed it down from there. It's uh, a tough market to say the least for new grads.