Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Rinkles posted:

Alex Jones is a level beyond FOX, and the former hosts (assuming this news is true) might reach new lows, unrestrained by what low standards the station held them accountable to.

I mean, they already call for veiled acts of violence.

So if they go any further it'll be explicitly calling for murder.

And as much as "lol nothing matters" is a thing, that's still pretty illegal.

EDIT: Memorial Day Doggie.

(and yes I know the dog tax thing is no longer a rule, but I like it goddammit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

:circlefap:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Instant Sunrise posted:

Doesn't he still have his radio show?

He will absolutely go anchor on RWW or some other farther-right-than-fox media outlet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Anyone wondering what it matters if Hannity gets fired need only ask themselves how much impact Bill O'Reilly has right now or when the last time they thought about Megyn Kelly was.

Hannity will have his radio show and his twitter but he loses a massive outlet if he gets fired from Fox News and its a major blow to his credibility. And its a little less poison on the air.

IF it happens. I think its probably an inevitability but I'm hesitant about all these rumors that its imminent.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Rinkles posted:

In the short term, might this further radicalize a portion of right wing viewers? moving away from FOX to INFOWARS or whatever O'Reilly/Hannity concoct?

Is this what those egg-headed academics call a compaction cycle?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Crain posted:

I mean, they already call for veiled acts of violence.

So if they go any further it'll be explicitly calling for murder.

And as much as "lol nothing matters" is a thing, that's still pretty illegal.

EDIT: Memorial Day Doggie.

(and yes I know the dog tax thing is no longer a rule, but I like it goddammit)

I don't think Hannity is losing his job over this, but he may have if he refused to drop it. That's the low standard I'm referring to.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Rinkles posted:

I don't think Hannity is losing his job over this, but he may have if he refused to drop it. That's the low standard I'm referring to.

Depends on how many sponsors have sent letters notifying the network of dropping the show privately.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think Hannity will fair better than O'Reilly post-Fox. Isn't his radio show pretty popular?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rinkles posted:

I doubt he's had time to put anything together, if he has plans to continue his punditry at all (outside radio).

That's fair. I'd be curious to know (if it could be measured beyond just reach) how glenn beck's influence changed when he left tv.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rinkles posted:

The question is IF he dropped it since he tweeted about it immediately after his show and has been TV and Twitter silent since. Does Hannity have the humility and self control to do what he's told and drop this subject? Will Fox News be content if he drops it on air but talks about it on radio or Twitter?

Really this is probably a small bit of a larger game of tug-a-war Hannity seems to be playing with Fox News every since the fall of Ailes. So the question is when does one side have enough?

edit: And yeah, ultimately the real power is in the hands of the advertisers and enough of them put their foot down on Hannity he's done.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Anyone wondering what it matters if Hannity gets fired need only ask themselves how much impact Bill O'Reilly has right now or when the last time they thought about Megyn Kelly was.

Again, does O'Reilly currently have an outlet beyond the radio show?

He could no doubt put together something to mirror Infowars if he wanted to (audience obviously not guaranteed). And if he had any such plans, it would only be getting started.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

Hitting his girlfriend if has one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rinkles posted:

He could no doubt put together something to mirror Infowars if he wanted to (audience obviously not guaranteed). And if he had any such plans, it would only be getting started.

He's got a podcast and website. But the reality is its probably hard to build up a full on news site and staff with an audience without some time and buildup. And its a question as to whether these old multi-millionare egomaniacs really want to do the work to possibly fail like Beck or Palin or others have.

Hannity will have his radio show to help him out but that audience is probably pretty built in with him. And the "worst case" here is that he maintains his influence and divides the Fox News audience. Which would be awesome.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think Hannity will fair better than O'Reilly post-Fox. Isn't his radio show pretty popular?

Popular for radio.

For reference:

Hannity's radio show comes in roughly 4th/5th or 2nd depending on whose list you use and brings in 12.5 million listeners.

Hannity's television show brings in (I scrolled back to mid april to avoid the current glut/bump going on) roughly 470 million viewers.

So yes. He will still have an audience.

But it's an audience that's only about 2.6% the size of his television audience. And even if some of his viewers who somehow don't already listen to him switch, he's never going to reach the same audience as he does with TV.

SNIP EDIT WAIT: Read a chart wrong

Crain fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 27, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Would anyone give Alex Jones a show?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a floral pattern on her dress, or perhaps arterial spray from her latest victim.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

To be fair, the only reason we haven't seen or heard from Kelly is because of her non compete clause in her contract.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

business hammocks posted:

TRUMP TV. Not really joking.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

business hammocks posted:

It would never survive a week without him starting a scandal and losing advertisers. At least not on any the major outlets we have right now. He'd need some harder right outlet and I'm not convinced that would be able to get advertisers.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

TARDISman posted:

To be fair, the only reason we haven't seen or heard from Kelly is because of her non compete clause in her contract.

Her new show will air June 4 on NBC.

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/335316-first-promo-released-for-megyn-kellys-nbc-news-show

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

There Bias Two posted:

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a floral pattern on her dress, or perhaps arterial spray from her latest victim.

Gotta watch those Belgians.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Actually:

Radio: 12.5 million weekly ratings

TV: 2.6 million nightly, roughly 13 million adjusted weekly ratings.

So Hannity would be losing about half of his combined audience.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Apologies if this has been posted already but lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/868565745000747008

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Crain posted:

Actually:

Radio: 12.5 million weekly ratings

TV: 2.6 million nightly, roughly 13 million adjusted weekly ratings.

So Hannity would be losing about half of his combined audience.

That's more than a bit of a miscalculation, yeah. Especially when you factor in audience overlap.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

hanales posted:

Apparently that's a joint suit by Vilerats mom and another parent just being idiots.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Rinkles posted:

That's more than a bit of a miscalculation, yeah. Especially when you factor in audience overlap.

Yeah, no idea how to find that out if the data is even out there.

But yeah, I misread the 470 rating on a rating site about representing millions instead of some internal Nielson rating system. Not nearly that big.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Starmaker posted:

Is this what those egg-headed academics call a compaction cycle?

If by academics you mean Prester Jane, then yes, I believe so.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/868602582687731712

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

hanales posted:

I want that DNC's guy family to sue hannity and win.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

PT6A posted:

If by academics you mean Prester Jane, then yes, I believe so.

:thejoke:

No but seriously I think this might be the first time I've seen it in action. It's kind of fascinating but if it goes the way Prester Jane describes/predicts it will, then it's also kind of terrifying.

Let's hope this is actually just Fox News and RWM dying off forever and everything being good forever hooray

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Crabtree posted:

I want that DNC's guy family to sue hannity and win.

They probably have a reasonable defamation case, even though the story is about the dead guy Fox made a lot of noise about how the family members were trying to cover it up.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crain posted:

Popular for radio.

For reference:

Hannity's radio show comes in roughly 4th/5th or 2nd depending on whose list you use and brings in 12.5 million listeners.

Hannity's television show brings in (I scrolled back to mid april to avoid the current glut/bump going on) roughly 470 million viewers.

So yes. He will still have an audience.

But it's an audience that's only about 2.6% the size of his television audience. And even if some of his viewers who somehow don't already listen to him switch, he's never going to reach the same audience as he does with TV.

SNIP EDIT WAIT: Read a chart wrong

just lol @ calculating that hannity gets more viewers than the population of the united states and not thinking twice before posting

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Probably meant yearly

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Gonna crush that Paris climate deal like Macron crushed his tiny hands!

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

It probably is because of the handshake, he's just that loving petty.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fox news downfall will pull cnn / msnbc and the likes to the right as they try to attrack whats left of its dying viewerbase, wich will in turn accelerate their own demise. hannity, altought right about the seth rich case, is just another neocon establishment tool. I hope they fire him. The death of legacy corporate media cannot come soon enough

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
How does the whole "If a President get's a gift it belongs to the Government not the President" thing work. Is that a real thing because I am gonna laugh so hard when Trump and them leave take poo poo then have to give it back.

Pretty sure that happened to the Clintons.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RandomBlue posted:

Gonna crush that Paris climate deal like Macron crushed his tiny hands!

I like how it looks like he's nursing his hand in that picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

Fox news downfall will pull cnn / msnbc and the likes to the right as they try to attrack whats left of its dying viewerbase, wich will in turn accelerate their own demise. hannity, altought right about the seth rich case, is just another neocon establishment tool. I hope they fire him. The death of legacy corporate media cannot come soon enough

:allears:

• Locked thread