Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Rakosi posted:

If al-Baghdadi is caught standing in a field doing whatever the gently caress, I hope a drone blows him to bits. If he is at a wedding with women and children I hope a drone does not blow him, and many innocent others, to bits. I did say, for the nth loving time, that I hope they drop the bomb on al-Baghdadi. Not al-Baghdadi and civilians. You are taking a bit of angered expression, out of context, and are still running with it over a day after the fact.

Do you have a life?

I think dropping a bomb like that on a single person is incredibly wasteful, to be frank, and is antithetical to the prescribed purpose of such munitions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

TomViolence posted:

I think dropping a bomb like that on a single person is incredibly wasteful, to be frank, and is antithetical to the prescribed purpose of such munitions.

I think budgetary exceptions can be made for exceptional people.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rakosi posted:

If al-Baghdadi is caught standing in a field doing whatever the gently caress, I hope a drone blows him to bits. If he is at a wedding with women and children I hope a drone does not blow him, and many innocent others, to bits. I did say, for the nth loving time, that I hope they drop the bomb on al-Baghdadi. Not al-Baghdadi and civilians. You are taking a bit of angered expression, out of context, and are still running with it over a day after the fact.

Do you have a life?

I'm responding to you at the same time of the evening as you're responding to me. Even if the answer to your question was "no" then you're still showing the same lack of social life as me.

But I'm doing fine thank's for asking.

And your dumb as poo poo response to that poorly-thought missile signing is something I will harangue you with because you're a dumb and bad poster who severely over-estimates your support amongst the regulars here.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Rakosi posted:

I think budgetary exceptions can be made for exceptional people.

There's nothing exceptional about Al-Baghdadi. How many times have we decapitated Al Qaeda by now, only for another fuckwitted zealot to take up the reins?

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Tesseraction posted:

I'm responding to you at the same time of the evening as you're responding to me. Even if the answer to your question was "no" then you're still showing the same lack of social life as me.

But I'm doing fine thank's for asking.

And your dumb as poo poo response to that poorly-thought missile signing is something I will harangue you with because you're a dumb and bad poster who severely over-estimates your support amongst the regulars here.

what the gently caress are you even talking about, hahah. Get out of here, you can't have made that post.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

This seems unlikely considering they targeted pubs and shopping centres.

How does this compare with the RAF dropping ordnance on urban areas?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rakosi posted:

what the gently caress are you even talking about, hahah. Get out of here, you can't have made that post.

this is seriously mentally diseased

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Cerebral Bore posted:

How does this compare with the RAF dropping ordnance on urban areas?

Did that happen during The Troubles?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/868596179260645376
So the Tory lead this week is somewhere between 5 and 14 points. Probably.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It is absolutely vital that you do not over-estimate your support among the regulars here. Do so at your peril.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Rakosi, his thread derailed

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Rakosi, the famous poster who is so well liked in these parts that he has deigned to make himself comfortable.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Zephro posted:

There's no mention in the manifesto that they'd try to keep the customs union either.
I'm sorry, but you are mistaken here. Page 24 of the Manifesto

quote:

We will scrap the Conservatives’ Brexit White Paper and replace it with fresh negotiating priorities that have a strong emphasis on retaining the benefits of the Single Market and the Customs Union – which are essential for maintaining industries, jobs and businesses in Britain.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/868596179260645376
So the Tory lead this week is somewhere between 5 and 14 points. Probably.

It is on.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

As everyone keeps taking about the IRA its clear everyone wants to get into a discussion about Northern Irish electoral politics! Well probably not but there are a couple of seats that will be interesting to keep an eye on so here's some guff so that NI:18 that pops up in seat projections can have a bit of extra spicy flavor. Of course remember this election is coming off the back of the earlier Assembly election which saw a huge turnout jump and a successful Sinn Fein get out the vote campaign which many imagine will have a knock on effect here which could tip a few seats (in different ways).

Not that it will stop everything collapsing anyway. Oh well.

Fermanagh & South Tyrone: The Grudge Match Vol 3

A seat that now routinely returns insanely tight results, though being Bobby Sands' seat it's no stranger to controversy. Won by SF's Michelle Gildernew in 2001 from the UUP and successfully defended even after a punt from now DUP leader Arlene Foster. The UUP (then in alliance with the Tories) and the DUP negotiated an electoral pact in 2010 to stand aside for a consensus independent Unionist candidate - who subsequently lost by a mere 4 votes. A second go at an electoral pact resulted in a UUP victory in 2015 but with a majority of only 530 (the 15th smallest majority in the last election). Experienced the SF voter bump in the 2017 assembly election and Gildernew is odds on favourite to recapture the seat.

Belfast South: First Past The Post Is Dumb

One of the most contentious seats out there - Currently held by the SDLP's Alasdair McDonnell with a mere 24.5% of the vote, the lowest winning vote share in any seat since 1945, and a majority of only 906. Once a solidly Unionist seat; Belfast South captures the majority of the cities student population, a handful of working class areas and several leafy suburban areas making it fertile grounds for smaller progressive parties. Seen as poor ground for Sinn Fein they sat out the 2010 election but decided to field Máirtín Ó Muilleoir, a former Belfast lord mayor and self-made millionaire newspaper owner, splitting the nationalist vote and undermining Alasdair McDonnell (then leader of the SDLP). McDonnell was already on thin ice as many saw him to blame for the SDLP's continual decline and following the 2015 election he subsequently lost a leadership challenge to current leader Colum Eastwood.

Sinn Fein performed extremely well here in the 2017 Assembly Election, bringing them well within striking distance to the SDLP and Alliance. Fears that further Sinn Fein gains at the expense of the SDLP could hand the seat over to the DUP (who are eager to take it) lead to an attempt to negotiate a pro-Remain voting pact between the Greens and SDLP. This ultimately collapsed though over the issue of keeping McDonnell as the SDLP's candidate - as one of the most outspokenly pro-life voices within the SDLP and a key opponent of abortion reform the Greens refused to stand aside to back him.

The SDLP may just hold the seat though. As a strongly Remain voting area the DUP's enthusiastic Leave credentials may motivate some voters to vote tactically to keep them out.

South Antrim: The DUP's revenge

The seat the DUP where never meant to lose. The unexpected victory of the UUP's Danny Kinahan over long time DUP figure Willie McCrea was a considerable surprise to many and the DUP are more than keen to reverse this. Though other parties run this is a two horse race and will be a battle between the two parties of Unionism on their respective stances - Kinahan is a liberal unionist who supports same-sex marriage and has a softer stance on abortion reform which puts him in stark contrast to the DUP's traditional conservatism. Both parties polled decent figures at the 2017 Assembly election (SF surge won't change much here) though the UUP was lower on first preference, but of course STV is different to FPTP and Kinahan should be expected to peel some tactical voters off from Alliance/SDLP. Bit off a toss up but the DUP probably has the edge.

Belfast East: LibdemAlliance fightback

Another major election upset returns to haunt us. This time Belfast East, former seat of DUP leader Peter Robinson which he lost in spectacular fashion to Alliance candidate Naomi Long in 2010 following a prolonged scandal involving his wife and his personal finances. Long's victory spooked them enough that they negotiated a no contest pact with the UUP (in part motivated by the FLEG protests that targeted Alliance) to recapture the seat in 2015 - however the vote didn't transfer as overwhelming as the DUP may have hoped and Alliance remains more than competitive in this constituency. A staunchly unionist constituency, the only part of Belfast that voted Leave, don't be expecting any nationalist surprises here.

Attempts to renegotiate another no contest pact for this election did not go so smoothly and the UUP will now be fielding a candidate - prompting many to think Long, now leader of Alliance, will retake the seat. Several bookies seem to agree and have her shortened her odds to be the favorite to win.

South Down: Sinn Fein attempts to rip out and consume the beating heart of the SDLP

The SDLP lose in South Down? You must be having a laugh. Next to Derry one of their most solid heartlands that was a cold house for Sinn Fein come election time. Even looking at the 2015 result it seems unlikely that SF where primed to come within 10% of the party. But then the 2017 Assembly election happened and turnout shout up over 12% and Sinn Fein got more 1st preference votes than the SDLP got votes in the 2015 election. This is a key target SF seat and the place where they are most likely to reap electoral reward from the assembly election boost - Previous losing candidate Chris Hazzard will be having another go at former SDLP leader Margaret Ritchie and his odds are looking good. Other parties do run here but the unionist vote is slugs it out among themselves. An SF victory here would be a body blow to the SDLP.

Outside punts include Sinn Fein running a similar raid on the SDLP in Derry, they topped in the assembly poll for the first time in 2017 and will be put up a strong challenge but it's expected the SDLP which will just edge them out due to tactical transfers and the SDLP getting out their loyal voting base - of course giving SF another chance to complain the SDLP only remain in power because Unionists vote for them. Also Belfast North, held by Nigel Dodd's of the DUP, which SF are having a punt at with John Finucane (son of Pat Finucane) hoping to capitalize on the strong Remain vote with a strong Leave mp factor though their odds seems long here.

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 28, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Killed By Death posted:

Do you think 'benefits of' means 'membership of'?

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

Do you think 'benefits of' means 'membership of'?
If you have all of the benefits of membership, what difference does it make?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Labour range still between 3 and 9 points above your expert prediction.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Tesseraction posted:

because you're a dumb and bad poster who severely over-estimates your support amongst the regulars here.
:aaa:

Holy poo poo you can't even see how this makes you look. My dude you absolutely have to get out more.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Killed By Death posted:

If you have all of the benefits of membership, what difference does it make?

Well membership of is unambiguous whereas benefits of is not.

Hoops posted:

:aaa:

Holy poo poo you can't even see how this makes you look. My dude you absolutely have to get out more.

You have the support of this thread regular.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Labour range still between 3 and 9 points above your expert prediction.

I can understand your mistake but I am not an expert.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

Did that happen during The Troubles?

Quite obviously. In fact I'm kind of shocked that you would display such ignorance of famous historical events.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Killed By Death posted:

This is just "we'll have our cake and eat it", ie the position even Boris Johnson no longer defends. That's why they say they want " the benefits" rather than simply saying we'll stay in. But it's a fantasy. No free movement = no single market.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

This thread keeps me regular, if you know what I mean.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

This is just "we'll have our cake and eat it", ie the position even Boris Johnson no longer defends. That's why they say they want " the benefits" rather than simply saying we'll stay in. But it's a fantasy. No free movement = no single market.

Wouldn't this imply that Labour is not in fact completely committed to ending free movement?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Killed By Death posted:

There's also

quote:

Labour recognises that leaving the EU with ‘no deal’ is the worst possible deal for Britain and that it would do damage to our economy and trade. We will reject ‘no deal’ as a viable option and if needs be negotiate transitional arrangements to avoid a 'cliff-edge’ for the UK economy.

They are very very willing to accept Single Market/Customs Union for as long as it takes to not be a disaster to leave.

They also promise

quote:

A Labour approach to Brexit also means legislating to guarantee that Parliament has a truly meaningful vote on the final Brexit deal.

So if negotiations are a total shitshow, presumably there's another vote to basically try and renege on Article 50.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
'Presumably' is horseshit. It's all ambiguous as gently caress.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

Well membership of is unambiguous whereas benefits of is not.
True, but while it's not impossible, I find it very unlikely that we'd have the benefits rescinded under "normal" circumstances.

Zephro posted:

I agree, ending freedom of movement while maintaining the economic benefits is a fantasy. But I believe when met with reality, that Labour will prioritise the economic benefits over the end of free movement, and we will keep both, instead of losing both. I realise the beliefs of some berk on the internet is not much to go on, but well, there you are.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Thank you for this effort post - a welcome break after several pages of tedious bickering

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

kustomkarkommando posted:

As everyone keeps taking about the IRA its clear everyone wants to get into a discussion about Northern Irish electoral politics! Well probably not but there are a couple of seats that will be interesting to keep an eye on so here's some guff so that NI:18 that pops up in seat projections can have a bit of extra spicy flavor. Of course remember this election is coming off the back of the earlier Assembly election which saw a huge turnout jump and a successful Sinn Fein get out the vote campaign which many imagine will have a knock on effect here which could tip a few seats (in different ways).

Not that it will stop everything collapsing anyway. Oh well.

Fermanagh & South Tyrone: The Grudge Match Vol 3

A seat that now routinely returns insanely tight results, though being Bobby Sands' seat it's no stranger to controversy. Won by SF's Michelle Gildernew in 2001 from the UUP and successfully defended even after a punt from now DUP leader Arlene Foster. The UUP (then in alliance with the Tories) and the DUP negotiated an electoral pact in 2010 to stand aside for a consensus independent Unionist candidate - who subsequently lost by a mere 4 votes. A second go at an electoral pact resulted in a UUP victory in 2015 but with a majority of only 530 (the 15th smallest majority in the last election). Experienced the SF voter bump in the 2017 assembly election and Gildernew is odds on favourite to recapture the seat.

Belfast South: First Past The Post Is Dumb

One of the most contentious seats out there - Currently held by the SDLP's Alasdair McDonnell with a mere 24.5% of the vote, the lowest winning vote share in any seat since 1945, and a majority of only 906. Once a solidly Unionist seat; Belfast South captures the majority of the cities student population, a handful of working class areas and several leafy suburban areas making it fertile grounds for smaller progressive parties. Seen as poor ground for Sinn Fein they sat out the 2010 election but decided to field Máirtín Ó Muilleoir, a former Belfast lord mayor and self-made millionaire newspaper owner, splitting the nationalist vote and undermining Alasdair McDonnell (then leader of the SDLP). McDonnell was already on thin ice as many saw him to blame for the SDLP's continual decline and following the 2015 election he subsequently lost a leadership challenge to current leader Colum Eastwood.

Sinn Fein performed extremely well here in the 2017 Assembly Election, bringing them well within striking distance to the SDLP and Alliance. Fears that further Sinn Fein gains at the expense of the SDLP could hand the seat over to the DUP (who are eager to take it) lead to an attempt to negotiate a pro-Remain voting pact between the Greens and SDLP. This ultimately collapsed though over the issue of keeping McDonnell as the SDLP's candidate - as one of the most outspokenly pro-life voices within the SDLP and a key opponent of abortion reform the Greens refused to stand aside to back him.

The SDLP may just hold the seat though. As a strongly Remain voting area the DUP's enthusiastic Leave credentials may motivate some voters to vote tactically to keep them out.

South Antrim: The DUP's revenge

The seat the DUP where never meant to lose. The unexpected victory of the UUP's Danny Kinahan over long time DUP figure Willie McCrea was a considerable surprise to many and the DUP are more than keen to reverse this. Though other parties run this is a two horse race and will be a battle between the two parties of Unionism on their respective stances - Kinahan is a liberal unionist who supports same-sex marriage and has a softer stance on abortion reform which puts him in stark contrast to the DUP's traditional conservatism. Both parties polled decent figures at the 2017 Assembly election (SF surge won't change much here) though the UUP was lower on first preference, but of course STV is different to FPTP and Kinahan should be expected to peel some tactical voters off from Alliance/SDLP. Bit off a toss up but the DUP probably has the edge.

Belfast East: LibdemAlliance fightback

Another major election upset returns to haunt us. This time Belfast East, former seat of DUP leader Peter Robinson which he lost in spectacular fashion to Alliance candidate Naomi Long in 2010 following a prolonged scandal involving his wife and his personal finances. Long's victory spooked them enough that they negotiated a no contest pact with the UUP (in part motivated by the FLEG protests that targeted Alliance) to recapture the seat in 2015 - however the vote didn't transfer as overwhelming as the DUP may have hoped and Alliance remains more than competitive in this constituency. A staunchly unionist constituency, the only part of Belfast that voted Leave, don't be expecting any nationalist surprises here.

Attempts to renegotiate another no contest pact for this election did not go so smoothly and the UUP will now be fielding a candidate - prompting many to think Long, now leader of Alliance, will retake the seat. Several bookies seem to agree and have her shortened her odds to be the favorite to win.

South Down: Sinn Fein attempts to rip out and consume the beating heart of the SDLP

The SDLP lose in South Down? You must be having a laugh. Next to Derry one of their most solid heartlands that was a cold house for Sinn Fein come election time. Even looking at the 2015 result it seems unlikely that SF where primed to come within 10% of the party. But then the 2017 Assembly election happened and turnout shout up over 12% and Sinn Fein got more 1st preference votes than the SDLP got votes in the 2015 election. This is a key target SF seat and the place where they are most likely to reap electoral reward from the assembly election boost - Previous losing candidate Chris Hazzard will be having another go at former SDLP leader Margaret Ritchie and his odds are looking good. Other parties do run here but the unionist vote is slugs it out among themselves. An SF victory here would be a body blow to the SDLP.

Outside punts include Sinn Fein running a similar raid on the SDLP in Derry, they topped in the assembly poll for the first time in 2017 and will be put up a strong challenge but it's expected the SDLP which will just edge them out due to tactical transfers and the SDLP getting out their loyal voting base - of course giving SF another chance to complain the SDLP only remain in power because Unionists vote for them. Also Belfast North, held by Nigel Dodd's of the DUP, which SF are having a punt at with John Finucane (son of Pat Finucane) hoping to capitalize on the strong Remain vote with a strong Leave mp factor though their odds seems long here.

Speaking of Northern Ireland, what is the bottom line on their being able to form a government vs return to direct rule by westminster?

I haven't seen anything about it since the snap election got called.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

hakimashou posted:

Speaking of Northern Ireland, what is the bottom line on their being able to form a government vs return to direct rule by westminster?

I suspect well find out after the election, as one effect of this snap election is that Westminster doesn't have to make that decision yet

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Also jabby if you're going to keep calling flaps out on his prediction of 29% Labour vote share and con majority of 60 (iirc) I'm going to need you to post counter predictions which I will then judge you both harshly on.

E: flaps if I've remembered your predictions plz correct me

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

If we're doing predictions already, I'll say 36% for Labour and a Tory majority of about 80. I don't know if those two things are plausible together or not.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Hoops posted:

If we're doing predictions already, I'll say 36% for Labour and a Tory majority of about 80. I don't know if those two things are plausible together or not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2015/results that's the results from the last election if it helps. For Labour to increase their vote share by 6% would make it unlikely for the Tories to more than septuple their current majority

E: actually this is bollocks if their increased vote share is just more votes in seats they already hold.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 28, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

Also jabby if you're going to keep calling flaps out on his prediction of 29% Labour vote share and con majority of 60 (iirc) I'm going to need you to post counter predictions which I will then judge you both harshly on.

E: flaps if I've remembered your predictions plz correct me

You'll be pleased to be told you have remembered both figures correctly but that 60 looks a bit low tbh. Make it 80.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Done. Jabby?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

36%, 65 seat majority. Get it on the board.

Edit: no UKIP seats, Greens get 1, lib dems get 12

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Turns out its going to be me that makes the spreadsheet then. Not quite how I intended this to go but very well.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Just after the election was called and before parliament was dissolved there was a bill rushed through extending the deadline for the formation of a government to June 29.

Nothing much has happened since then, don't thinks theres been any actual round table meetings between the parties since the election announcement.

Still pretty far off an agreement

Things are ticking over via the civil service and legislation was passed to facilitate the collection of rates (property taxes) but we're still short a budget

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Namtab posted:

Done. Jabby?

Predicting the election is dumb, the polls are the best guideline we have. Pretty sure making a prediction myself would undermine my own opinion.

• Locked thread