Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Enourmo posted:

welp i'm 29 now, one more year and i can officially call myself Almost Old.

Now to figure out something I can do to celebrate that's low-budget and fits my lazy holiday mindset...

Remember this is the last year where anything you do can be a "youthful indiscretion." Once you're in you're thirties, you're hosed when you screw up? But 20s? Everyone excuses that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

Remember this is the last year where anything you do can be a "youthful indiscretion." Once you're in you're thirties, you're hosed when you screw up? But 20s? Everyone excuses that poo poo.

Wah? I'm 48 and I still blame youthful indiscretion.

Kaptain Ballistik is at the Asia Pacific Rally Championship this weekend and coming 10th. However three driveshafts eaten so far....... going to a local workshop to buy spares as we have run out.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Wah? I'm 48 and I still blame youthful indiscretion.

Kaptain Ballistik is at the Asia Pacific Rally Championship this weekend and coming 10th. However three driveshafts eaten so far....... going to a local workshop to buy spares as we have run out.

Jeez. Is a driveshaft usually considered a wear item or are you having a string of bad luck?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Rhyno posted:

Lame. I just need to be able to get the car into the air quickly and onto jack stands without having to do it a corner at a time. Dad won't be ready to put a lift in his garage for a while yet.

I don't know what you're lifting, but I put my wife's mini cooper on stands by using a 2x4 that's cut to fit between the jack pads and a trolley jack right in the middle. Jack one side up, slide in stands, repeat on other side. Car on 3.75 stands in 10 minutes. This works because minis are so stiff that you can get away with it.

That's the same idea except it does both sides at the same time, but you see it's supporting the car on the pinch welds just like my 2x4 thingy does.

The Door Frame posted:

She is a cutie, but poor girlfriend got the smartest loving puppy. It's 9 weeks old, but that thing is fearless and learns things faster than any dog I've seen. I want all of my dogs to be stupid

As someone who grew up with Irish Setters, no you don't.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

slothrop posted:

Jeez. Is a driveshaft usually considered a wear item or are you having a string of bad luck?

I think the car has stepped up in pace and we have found out we cant run second hand driveshafts anymore :/

The bigger brakes have allowed KB to drive faster and hence working the suspension a lot harder.. and hence more movement. Thence more stress on driveshafts

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You snapping them, or just trashing joints?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you had a narrow light car like a 70's British sports car you could lift it with a high reach pallet truck :haw:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

You snapping them, or just trashing joints?

If you follow the KB Facebook page you will see the pieces. Lots of pieces.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rhyno posted:

Does anyone make an auto lift that doesn't require you to bolt it into the floor?
Most four post lifts don't require them to be bolted down. In fact many have optional caster kits so you can move it around the garage as needed.

Enourmo posted:

welp i'm 29 now, one more year and i can officially call myself Almost Old.

Now to figure out something I can do to celebrate that's low-budget and fits my lazy holiday mindset...
Happy birthday

Darchangel posted:

https://www.harborfreight.com/6000-lb-capacity-scissor-lift-91315.html
There are some safety mods that a few folks have done (better/stronger/more positive locking when raised), but reviews on YouTube and such are surprisingly positive.
Friend who runs a detail business has one of these and has been very happy with it.

Powershift posted:

There are portable lifts that you wheel around like a pallet jack, but they're hella expensive.

e: here's a lighter duty one, that's kinda neat. http://www.asedeals.com/car-lifts/specialty-lifts/workhorse-portable-car-lift-msc-6k/
I think Dad's ordered one similar to this and I've been very close. They seem nice but I worry about storing a car on it long term

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If you follow the KB Facebook page you will see the pieces. Lots of pieces.
I do, I haven't seen any "mechanical" pics since the brake fitting?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bolind posted:

One step up from one-corner-at-the-time is a long reach/high lift jack and a center lift point. BMWs can do this (there's a pad on the front cross member and you can lift on the rear diff.)

Edit: like this:

yeah just do this poo poo

i thought rhyno didnt want to spend his time working on cars all the time anyway? how often do you have to jack a car up to spend a few grand to make it go faster?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Lame. I just need to be able to get the car into the air quickly and onto jack stands without having to do it a corner at a time. Dad won't be ready to put a lift in his garage for a while yet.

Just get a good lightweight aluminum floorjack and it's not as bad. Also if you're doing one corner at a time you're doing it wrong, you should be able to find a spot to go from front to back or vice versa, I could even do it on a heavy rear end Crown Vic.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well I find out yesterday that I'm moving to a service truck permanently:on Tuesday, so I won't need a commuter vehicle anymore. Well, for at least two years anyway - possibly longer.

Guess I'm selling the XRS. =/

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Its a 3 day weekend here so I ordered paint and parts for my Saab.

The paint hasn't arrived despite supposedly being sent with a 24 hour courier on Thursday afternoon and I was at work when they tried to deliver the parts (and they ignored my "leave next door" instructions) and for some reason they left them at a postoffice. Not my local one that Is 1/4 of a mile away and open till 9pm every day but the one further away that closed at 5pm on friday and now isn't open until Tuesday :(

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Too much drat sport on today, just got done watching Arsenal v Chelsea while the 24h of Nurburgring was on the other TV, once it gets dark there I'm switching over to see the Monaco GP quali that I somehow avoided seeing the results of (so far). Also Fallout 4 is free on Steam this weekend.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

Too much drat sport on today, just got done watching Arsenal v Chelsea while the 24h of Nurburgring was on the other TV, once it gets dark there I'm switching over to see the Monaco GP quali that I somehow avoided seeing the results of (so far). Also Fallout 4 is free on Steam this weekend.

Holy poo poo thanks

Edit: oh I guess it's free to play this weekend?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
If any of you need something to watch tonight/tomorrow morning the Nurburgring 24h is being streamed live on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qJDbQSp6mA

Highlights include a team driving a spare wheel out to a stricken car that had pulled off partway around the lap, because that was safer than trying to drive the rest of the way with 3 wheels and quicker than having it flat-bedded back to the pits.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

angryrobots posted:

Well I find out yesterday that I'm moving to a service truck permanently:on Tuesday, so I won't need a commuter vehicle anymore. Well, for at least two years anyway - possibly longer.

Guess I'm selling the XRS. =/

Details?

Does anyone know where the AC thread went? I need it. Not sure if I should bother changing what I think is a stuck txv or not. System still cools great but pressures are not ideal. High pressure line is a bit high and low a bit low. Might be an airflow issue too.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Edit: oh I guess it's free to play this weekend?

Yeah, free to play, sorry for the vagueness.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

rdb posted:

Details?

Does anyone know where the AC thread went? I need it. Not sure if I should bother changing what I think is a stuck txv or not. System still cools great but pressures are not ideal. High pressure line is a bit high and low a bit low. Might be an airflow issue too.

It's back on like page 6 or 7

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

Details?
05 6 speed 171k. A/C works, all that good stuff. Interior is clean, paint is dull but I've never tried to do anything with it. Not perfect but better than average for a 12 year old warm hatch. Maintenance is UTD. Needs 91 octane but gets over 25 mpg even if you drive it hard. I've gotten 32 mpg steady cruising at 55 mph. It's not blazing fast, but the 8k redline and VVTL-i are fun.

I'd like to get $4k, but if that's fuckin stupid I'll deal.

http://i.imgur.com/kuOr0qc.jpg
(The only picture I have on my phone atm)

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Thanks. I figured I would ask because your tundra was a smoking deal. I personally can't justify it right now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
wow horrible idea thinking it would be fun to take a 2 year old to a sounders FC game today, :homebrew:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's back on like page 6 or 7

Archived, but here it is.

Someone should remake it or pin it in the Stupid Questions OP or something. Lotta good info organized clearly, would be a shame to lose it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

wow horrible idea thinking it would be fun to take a 2 year old to a sounders FC game today, :homebrew:

Haha. My son is 9 and has just started to be able to sit through and actually watch a baseball game, but most of that is because he plays in little league and is a giant MLB nerd.

But yeah at 2,3,4 lol forget it.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Enourmo posted:

Archived, but here it is.

Someone should remake it or pin it in the Stupid Questions OP or something. Lotta good info organized clearly, would be a shame to lose it.

Yeah, I will just post my poo poo in the stupid questions thread but I think it's probably a little more than a stupid question.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

rdb posted:

Yeah, I will just post my poo poo in the stupid questions thread but I think it's probably a little more than a stupid question.

Are you having any actual symptoms?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was kinda hoping Motronic would start a new one for this summer coming up, I have a bunch of questions too, debating on buying the poo poo and doing it myself or just paying someone else.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Enourmo posted:

Are you having any actual symptoms?

I posted there. In short, I know it's leaking, but something else is broken as well.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Today I spent ten hours and four trips to lowes getting the correct fittings to hook up my new tankless water heater and get rid of all the piping from the old one

My father in law helped and I learned a shitload about the American measurement system (its bad and so are fractions)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I'm spending the weekend doing demolition work on the west side of my house. A tree came down and (partially) damaged the roof. I'm pulling down the ceiling in my bedroom, bathroom, and living room due to water damage. It wouldn't be so bad, except I've got blown-in insulation and it's a loving nightmare. I'm 1/3 done. Tomorrow is the hard day. Contractors estimate is a shade under 10 grand worth of damage. On the bright side, i get a new roof and gutters out of the deal which was on my wishlist, so there's that. And my insurance company will cut me a check for my labor. Materials alone covered my deductible. Hopefully I can relax on Monday.

Shame is I just found a vw beetle for sale that looks like it'd be a fun project as my first reatoration for my wife and me. Got the normal rotten floor pans, etc. If it's still available once my house is fixed, I might reward myself with more work.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Today I spent ten hours and four trips to lowes getting the correct fittings to hook up my new tankless water heater and get rid of all the piping from the old one

My father in law helped and I learned a shitload about the American measurement system (its bad and so are fractions)

Now take npt, combine it with sae thread, throw in an and JIC fittings and metric thread and you have why I curl into a ball and weep when people bring in random fittings and ask to go from one thing to another. Oh and they need it today. The best was when a shop sent us a red anodized fitting a customer of theirs had brought in as part of a job on their car and asked wtf was up with it. It was loving british pipe thread.

Its been over 2 years and pipe thread will still make me grab an old timer for help.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

We've been a metric nation since 1988 here in Australia and you still get hosed over by hardware shops stocking American Fuckery bolts and nuts. At least we only have BSP threads on our plumbing fittings.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
But BSP makes you use proper thread sealing materials and techniques, we want our pipes to gall seal!

The avoirdupois isn't a concurrently created competitor of the Metric system, rather its hacked together ancient poo poo one level above hogshead per fortnight.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Then theres the perpetual slapfight between ISO metric and JIS metric. Same thread diameter, same thread pitch, different loving head size. A JIS M8 is a 8mm thread diameter with a 12mm head. An ISO is an 8mm thread diameter with a loving 13mm head on it! Just to make you have to crawl back out from under the car to get a second socket halfway through removing a bashplate.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm glad that even thread size needs to be an international slapfight

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
JIS cross head screws can suck a dick

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

JIS cross head screws can suck a dick

Robertson drive for lyfe!

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Just watched Rogue One and geez what a mediocre movie. If the prequels were 1s and the originals 10s, the new movies don't seem better than 5s in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

blk posted:

Just watched Rogue One and geez what a mediocre movie. If the prequels were 1s and the originals 10s, the new movies don't seem better than 5s in my book.

I literally fell asleep in the cinema.

• Locked thread