Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

I have to say that I'm think I'm seeing why people don't like DS2. Compared to Undead Burg, Forest of the Fallen Giants doesn't really seem like it's designed as concisely.

Base DS2's FoFG is very well designed, and I think Scholar took a few steps back in that regard. That particular area used to simply have an ambush of 3 Hollows that would chase after you. I liked it, because it forced you to suddenly get creative about how you handled multiple enemies, something which the game sets upon you repeatedly after that. It's the first real instance where the game was explicitly saying, "This is how our combat is different," and removing that in favor of the Hollow field felt like it was removing an important part of what the level was teaching you.

As skasion mentioned, a huge number of enemies are weak to Blunt damage. The bog-standard Mace you can buy from Blacksmith Leningrast is one of the game's strongest weapons and will get you all the way to the end relatively hassle free. The Estoc is another great weapon you can get from him, especially due to its high Poise damage. Halberds are still good, but they're tricky to use, and I didn't find the two-handed spin to be that useful in PVE. However, just about every weapon in the game is perfectly viable for getting through it, so I'd only switch to one of the above-mentioned weapons if you find yourself getting really stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I will agree that Forest of Fallen Giants, which I think is meant to be the first area you go to (I also went to Heide's Tower first and got wrecked by the same group of three big guys), wasn't terribly great until about the last third or so. The areas right after that and Heide's Tower are pretty great imo.

e: curse works differently in 2. If you get cursed it just instantly gives you one step in the dying penalty to max health.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 18, 2017

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Yeah curse is way less brutal in 2. I played 2 before 1, so when I played 1 and the curse meter started going up, I wasn't that concerned. Then uh I died and my health went away :(

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Shear Modulus posted:

I will agree that Forest of Fallen Giants, which I think is meant to be the first area you go to (I also went to Heide's Tower first and got wrecked by the same group of three big guys), wasn't terribly great until about the last third or so. The areas right after that and Heide's Tower are pretty great imo.

e: curse works differently in 2. If you get cursed it just instantly gives you one step in the dying penalty to max health.

Heide's has a great look to it but I wish there was more going on. It's really just a jaunt to the boss and an optional area with a covenant. Feels like it's missing some more.

Even No Mans Wharf is kinda cool even if it's also kind of annoying. I think things really pick up at the Lost Bastille though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There sure are a lot of areas that get Title treatment and Law-and-Order doink despite not really having much outside of a boss and some items: Cathedral of Blue, Sinner's Rise, Belfry Luna, The Giant Memories, Duke's Resting Place, Dragon Memories, Shrine of Winter, King's Passage, Throne of Want, Belfry Sol and Undead Purgatory. All-in-all there's about 20-ish actual levels in the base game.

One thing I wish the series had outside of Bloodborne was less variations of weapons that have the same move-set. Instead just let us customize the weapons stat-wise and cosmetically. And a proper Boss-Rush mode.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The halberd is very good and I recommend it.

Scholar's enemy layouts and some other stuff are just goddamn weird. People call it a dark souls 2 ROMhack and that really is what it feels like. I can't fault anyone playing scholar as their first experience for thinking that part of it is off.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Inspector Gesicht posted:

One thing I wish the series had outside of Bloodborne was less variations of weapons that have the same move-set. Instead just let us customize the weapons stat-wise and cosmetically. And a proper Boss-Rush mode.

Bloodborne has a huge weapon availability problem that none of the other games have. You can't get a rapier at all until midgame and can't get a scythe until you beat the game. This is the last thing I'd want souls to adapt from that game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

Bloodborne has a huge weapon availability problem that none of the other games have. You can't get a rapier at all until midgame and can't get a scythe until you beat the game. This is the last thing I'd want souls to adapt from that game.

you what? That's... What the actual gently caress?!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yes, you get the awesomest weapon in the game from killing the end boss or from getting through NG+ difficulty depth 5 chalice dungeons, which means you aren't using it for anything but NG+ or more depth 5 chalice dungeons

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Digirat posted:

The halberd is very good and I recommend it.

Scholar's enemy layouts and some other stuff are just goddamn weird. People call it a dark souls 2 ROMhack and that really is what it feels like. I can't fault anyone playing scholar as their first experience for thinking that part of it is off.

Funny that a bunch of other people think it really improved on enemy placement and the overall game

I don't have any experience with the original dark souls 2 so I can't say.

I wasn't a huge fan of Forest of Fallen Giants more because of the aesthetic rather than the enemy placement.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

King of Solomon posted:

Separating Bloodborne's weapons into fantasy-setting-weapon-archetypes like that means you missed the point of them, my friend.

double nine posted:

In the case of that weapon specifically it's kind of a bummer but outside of that it's really, really not a big deal.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

CJacobs posted:

Separating Bloodborne's weapons into fantasy-setting-weapon-archetypes like that means you missed the point of them, my friend.

In the case of that weapon specifically it's kind of a bummer but outside of that it's really, really not a big deal.

I did not miss the point of those weapons. It is an actual problem with the game.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Digirat posted:

Yes, you get the awesomest weapon in the game from killing the end boss or from getting through NG+ difficulty depth 5 chalice dungeons, which means you aren't using it for anything but NG+ or more depth 5 chalice dungeons

It's almost like they meant for you to use the awesomest weapon in the game in NG+.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Which is a dumb intention if so, because they did nothing interesting with NG+ unlike dark souls 2, which actually bothered to shake things up a bit instead of just making the numbers bigger. thanks B team

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Digirat posted:

Which is a dumb intention if so, because they did nothing interesting with NG+ unlike dark souls 2, which actually bothered to shake things up a bit instead of just making the numbers bigger. thanks B team

Yeah DS2 really made the DS3 NG+ a real disappointment. I don't even bother going into it now.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

double nine posted:

This sounds more nuts than it is if you don't know that bloodborne simplified weapon availability greatly so that there's generally only exactly one weapon of each type. One greatsword, one rapier, one scythe, etc. It just so happens that the scythe is the final boss' weapon. Not that it isn't a kinda dumb design choice imo (not the part where there's only one of each but the part where some are just impossible to get conveniently)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just really like scythes as weapons. grim reaper cosplay always.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Amppelix posted:

This sounds more nuts than it is if you don't know that bloodborne simplified weapon availability greatly so that there's generally only exactly one weapon of each type. One greatsword, one rapier, one scythe, etc. It just so happens that the scythe is the final boss' weapon. Not that it isn't a kinda dumb design choice imo (not the part where there's only one of each but the part where some are just impossible to get conveniently)

Right, and that's also why I said that it is the last thing I'd like them to carry over from Bloodborne. The game only having one of each weapon type causes its huge availability problems.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
When a huge part of character diversity depends on your weapon, getting only three to start and blocking some off till endgame is a bad idea. I platinum'd BB. I wish they'd just unlock every weapon at the Messenger's gift once you'd, like, gotten all three endings.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The "just use it in NG+" argument also doesn't hold much sway with me because when I at least start NG+, I will already have upgraded three weapons at minimum to +9, and then the game is completely out of Chunks (I'm exaggerating, but only slightly). If you don't deliberately save them up, you start NG+ with your shiny new toy...and you can only get it to +6. Until the first Chunks come in, which is halfway again through NG+, or you can have fun trying to tackle the DLC asap.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Made a little bit more progress and beat the Iron Keep. Currently in the Shaded Woods now. I can play this game for hours once I get started. But I feel that I have to be in the right mood to want to play it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Vermain posted:

Base DS2's FoFG is very well designed, and I think Scholar took a few steps back in that regard. That particular area used to simply have an ambush of 3 Hollows that would chase after you. I liked it, because it forced you to suddenly get creative about how you handled multiple enemies, something which the game sets upon you repeatedly after that. It's the first real instance where the game was explicitly saying, "This is how our combat is different," and removing that in favor of the Hollow field felt like it was removing an important part of what the level was teaching you.

As skasion mentioned, a huge number of enemies are weak to Blunt damage. The bog-standard Mace you can buy from Blacksmith Leningrast is one of the game's strongest weapons and will get you all the way to the end relatively hassle free. The Estoc is another great weapon you can get from him, especially due to its high Poise damage. Halberds are still good, but they're tricky to use, and I didn't find the two-handed spin to be that useful in PVE. However, just about every weapon in the game is perfectly viable for getting through it, so I'd only switch to one of the above-mentioned weapons if you find yourself getting really stuck.

I guess I'll give the mace a shot.

I didn't know that Scholar of the First Sin was changed from the original DS2. I figured it was just the 64-bit version upgrade with the all the DLC inculded. Was there a lot more that was changed?

EDIT: Additionally, can you still parry with medium shields? I'm trying right now to fight one of those sword hollows near a bonfire, and I trying to test the parry, but I can't seem to land one. Is the timing different?

Amppelix posted:

I remember that was one of the things Bloodborne was praised for in comparison to Dark Sous, though; Dark Souls seems like it suffers from having a abundance of weapons, many which are of the same type.

I haven't played Bloodborne (I should, though), but I remember someone saying that clothing/armor didn't really make much of a difference and was mostly cosmetic.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 19, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

You can parry with medium shields but yeah the timing is different. There are shields that specifically say they are better for parrying and they work better at it. I parried a lot in DS1 but it didn't seem worth it to really get down in DS2. It's also weird at first because the standing riposte seems a lot harder to do...often you just attack the enemy normally, there's probably some trick to it I never bothered to learn. If you wait a second the staggered enemy will fall down and then you can do the seated riposte or whatever

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I remember that was one of the things Bloodborne was praised for in comparison to Dark Sous, though; Dark Souls seems like it suffers from having a abundance of weapons, many which are of the same type.

I haven't played Bloodborne (I should, though), but I remember someone saying that clothing/armor didn't really make much of a difference and was mostly cosmetic.
The same is basically true for Souls too, but I guess you cannot Havel up just for cosmetics, because you'll fatroll. Bloodborne makes it official: armor has no weight, but also no poise, except for joke armors they all mostly offer the same protection, with some excelling only against a certain element or status effect. You can wear absolutely whatever you like in BB and not suffer for it.

Levitate posted:

You can parry with medium shields but yeah the timing is different. There are shields that specifically say they are better for parrying and they work better at it. I parried a lot in DS1 but it didn't seem worth it to really get down in DS2. It's also weird at first because the standing riposte seems a lot harder to do...often you just attack the enemy normally, there's probably some trick to it I never bothered to learn. If you wait a second the staggered enemy will fall down and then you can do the seated riposte or whatever
You literally cannot do a standing riposte after a parry, you need to wait for the enemy to fall on its rear end. Standing riposte is reserved exclusively for shield breaks - if you guardbreak someone's shield away (or hit it enough to empty the stamina bar), then you can follow up immediately with a devastating "gently caress you for blocking" riposte.

Parrying is absolutely worth it in DS2...with the Buckler or parrying dagger, against specific enemies. The red phantom before the Purgatory can eat my poo poo, if I have the Buckler I'm invincible against him. It's amazing to parry Pursuer. Many other NPC phantoms (especially the numerous ones Scholar added) are made far easier if you can employ the "no, gently caress off" button correctly. It's not even that hard with the Buckler.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I really liked the fancy brural fatality-looking ripostes and backstabs in 2 (once I figured out that I had to wait a second post-parry for the enemy to fall down). I just started 3 and it looks like they back to 1's animations for those and I'm a little disappointed.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

I just started 3 and [...] back to 1 [...] and I'm a little disappointed.
Prepare for more of this :(.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

The same is basically true for Souls too, but I guess you cannot Havel up just for cosmetics, because you'll fatroll. Bloodborne makes it official: armor has no weight, but also no poise, except for joke armors they all mostly offer the same protection, with some excelling only against a certain element or status effect. You can wear absolutely whatever you like in BB and not suffer for it.

You literally cannot do a standing riposte after a parry, you need to wait for the enemy to fall on its rear end. Standing riposte is reserved exclusively for shield breaks - if you guardbreak someone's shield away (or hit it enough to empty the stamina bar), then you can follow up immediately with a devastating "gently caress you for blocking" riposte.

Parrying is absolutely worth it in DS2...with the Buckler or parrying dagger, against specific enemies. The red phantom before the Purgatory can eat my poo poo, if I have the Buckler I'm invincible against him. It's amazing to parry Pursuer. Many other NPC phantoms (especially the numerous ones Scholar added) are made far easier if you can employ the "no, gently caress off" button correctly. It's not even that hard with the Buckler.

When I played DS1 the armor I used was the Catarina set (which I'm also looking to use in DS2) along with Havel's Ring, so I still had the medium-roll.

Also, I bought the mace, and goddamn does it work well! It hits hard, and the nice thing about it is that the R1 swing is centered in front of you. With the Broadsword (or Longsword, can't remember which), fighting in tight spaces is a pain since your slashes glance off the walls and leave you open. I also found the Halberd, but my stats aren't good enough to use it. It took a few tries, and I ended up summoning the dude outside, but I beat the last giant.

A couple of questions/grievances:
  • Where should I be focusing my stats? I took the Knight class, so the two highest stats are Vigor and Strength. I've mostly been putting points in Endurance, since it's always been my thinking that in Souls-games, Stamina is the most important thing to have in abundance to block, attack, and dodge without worrying about running out.
  • I'm a little confused as to why bonfires were changed. I figured out a while ago that burning effigies prevent invasion, and consuming them directly restores your humanity, and I find that more streamlined than DS1's humanity system. However, I don't understand why they changed it so that in order to level up, you have to go to the Emerald Herald every time. However, I was wondering if I should put points into Faith or Intelligence or something to gain some benefits from elemental weapons or something.
  • What's the deal with weapon repairs. There's an option to repair equipment whenever I visit the blacksmith, but I never have gear to repair. I realized that my gear durability is restored whenever I return to the bonfire. Is weapon repair only if your weapons break?
  • I've picked up a few torches at this point, but I don't know whether I should be using them. I've noticed braziers placed here and there, and I've lit a couple, but I don't know if it provides any effect or offers any benefit other than lighting up certain areas. I imagine you need the torches for some area later where it'll be pitch-black and you'll have to light your way like in Tomb of the Giants
  • Who's idea was it to make barrels that explode and not differentiate them from the regular barrels? Were the designers annoyed that people kept rolling through barrels in DS1? I like how you can trick enemies into striking the barrels, but it's risky because you can get caught into the explosion.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

When I played DS1 the armor I used was the Catarina set (which I'm also looking to use in DS2) along with Havel's Ring, so I still had the medium-roll.

Also, I bought the mace, and goddamn does it work well! It hits hard, and the nice thing about it is that the R1 swing is centered in front of you. With the Broadsword (or Longsword, can't remember which), fighting in tight spaces is a pain since your slashes glance off the walls and leave you open. I also found the Halberd, but my stats aren't good enough to use it. It took a few tries, and I ended up summoning the dude outside, but I beat the last giant.

A couple of questions/grievances:
  • Where should I be focusing my stats? I took the Knight class, so the two highest stats are Vigor and Strength. I've mostly been putting points in Endurance, since it's always been my thinking that in Souls-games, Stamina is the most important thing to have in abundance to block, attack, and dodge without worrying about running out.
  • I'm a little confused as to why bonfires were changed. I figured out a while ago that burning effigies prevent invasion, and consuming them directly restores your humanity, and I find that more streamlined than DS1's humanity system. However, I don't understand why they changed it so that in order to level up, you have to go to the Emerald Herald every time. However, I was wondering if I should put points into Faith or Intelligence or something to gain some benefits from elemental weapons or something.
  • What's the deal with weapon repairs. There's an option to repair equipment whenever I visit the blacksmith, but I never have gear to repair. I realized that my gear durability is restored whenever I return to the bonfire. Is weapon repair only if your weapons break?
  • I've picked up a few torches at this point, but I don't know whether I should be using them. I've noticed braziers placed here and there, and I've lit a couple, but I don't know if it provides any effect or offers any benefit other than lighting up certain areas. I imagine you need the torches for some area later where it'll be pitch-black and you'll have to light your way like in Tomb of the Giants
  • Who's idea was it to make barrels that explode and not differentiate them from the regular barrels? Were the designers annoyed that people kept rolling through barrels in DS1? I like how you can trick enemies into striking the barrels, but it's risky because you can get caught into the explosion.

1) ADP to 25-30 is non-negotiable if you want a good roll and faster estus. Look up agility on one of the wikis. Endurance is always good to have but it's really nice to have your main scaling stat at 40 for big damage. Leveling happens a lot faster than previous games and you'll end up much higher level so you'll easily have the points.

2)"Make it more like Demons' Souls"

3) Yes

4)A relic of an earlier concept where everything was going to be darker and you'd want a torch out a lot. There are some enemies that react to light and in Scholar you get an NPC red phantom fight when you light all the sconces in an area.

5)Rolling through barrels won't set them off, so do that.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
There are also at least two areas (Cardinal Tower and McDuff's Workshop bonfires) where you can blow up a barrel to open a wall.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Level whatever stats you think you'll need to use the weapons you want. If you decide it sucks then you'll start getting some items abut into the game that will let you respec

If you want to wield big weapons and armor level the poo poo out of strength and that stat that increased carry load, etc etc.

Weapon endurance is automatically restored whenever you use a bonfire. Repairing at a smith is only necessary (or possible) if something actually breaks.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

You can get the standing riposte animation after a parry but the timing is like right as their butt touches the ground and there's no reason to do it

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

What's a fun pair of weapons to powerstance that I can get to fairly early? I experimented with powerstancing daggers for a bandit's knife bleed build but it just seems like daggers are absolutely terrible.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Brain In A Jar posted:

What's a fun pair of weapons to powerstance that I can get to fairly early? I experimented with powerstancing daggers for a bandit's knife bleed build but it just seems like daggers are absolutely terrible.

Right hand rapier, left hand curved sword. It is extremely fun and very good.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Lenigrast sells rapiers and falchions which go pretty well together and don't require too much investment to wield. He also sells the mace, which works really well powerstanced with itself (you can stunlock ruin sentinels with them).

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

skasion posted:

Lenigrast sells rapiers and falchions which go pretty well together and don't require too much investment to wield. He also sells the mace, which works really well powerstanced with itself (you can stunlock ruin sentinels with them).

You guys are right, this is pretty fun, and this rapier is a beast even on its own.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

That's something else I meant to ask about. How viable is dual-wielding in this Dark Souls 2? I heard in the first game, it wasn't really something you wanted to try unless you were doing a challenge run.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Max Wilco posted:

That's something else I meant to ask about. How viable is dual-wielding in this Dark Souls 2? I heard in the first game, it wasn't really something you wanted to try unless you were doing a challenge run.

Dual wielding - powerstance - is not only viable, it's a really good playstyle in DS2. You just need to make sure you get your agility where it needs to be, because without a shield you'll need your rolls to be on point.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Dual wielding is very viable. DS2 in the only game in the series where you get to use the full moveset of your left hand weapon so having two different weapons gives you massive versatility. Also, if you have 50% more strength and dexterity than the minimum requirements of both weapons and the weapons are sort of similar(for example, curved sword&straight sword or straight sword&spear are ok, curved sword&spear are not) you can "power stance" them by holding down the button that switches between 2-handing and 1-handing. This gives you a special moveset that attacks with both weapons at once.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I just bought SOFS on the PS4 store, since it was on sale a couple of days ago for cheap. I played Dark Souls 1 for less than two hours, so this is effectively my very first DS game. I'm not sure this game is clicking with me so far, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it more as I learn.

What's bothering me is the humanity system. Apparently the humanity system is so self-explanatory and obvious that it's not necessary for anyone on the internet to explain it, because I've spent about twenty minutes googling "humanity + dark souls 2" and the only information I can get on what humanity actually does is from DS1, which has discrete humanity drops and a numerical counter and it's not the same system in DS2 so that doesn't help me at all. I went on the Dark Souls 2 wiki and tried to look it up, but it only explains how to get human effigies to get back into human form without explaining why I'd even need human form.

Here's what I've figured out so far: Humanity restores the part of the health bar that's locked off when you're hollowed, and you have to be human for co-op and PVP. Is that it? I don't have PS plus so I can't even do online features, so humanity is nearly useless for me, am I understanding this right? If that's the case I don't have to bother and can just play the game as a badass green zombie knight dude who I think looks cooler than human form anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

What resources were you looking at, anyway? The wikia site isn't great and fextralife is a mess of a website (on multiple counts), but wikidot should be just fine.

As for what humanity/hollowing does in DS2:
-Each level of hollowing gives -5% to your maximum health to a minimum of 50%. (There's a ring available early on to offset this.)
-You need to be human to summon others for co-op (some of the questlines depend on you summoning NPCs for co-op, so it's not just for pulling in other players) or to invade others for PvP (irrelevant in your case).
-Some NPCs will respond differently based on whether you're hollow or not.
-A few pieces of gear have different effects based on how hollow you get. (These will be fairly obvious when you see them and read their descriptions.)