Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
honestly thats a game winning move in the war on terror

your holy war is a nice toy to make money off of, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Warlord Simulator 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

a bone to pick posted:

I'm just defending the first Halo, the story pretty much falls apart after the first one.

the only halo i ever liked was reach because it sorta made the Covenant menacing instead of not menacing at all.

turn off the TV posted:

When master chief blows up the halo factory (I think it's called the ark?) cortana turns not evil again and they fly off into the horizon on a spaceship, never to be seen again until the sequel where they're fighting more covenant but this time the halo is an inside out planet. I'm not sure if there are still flood. I think that there are robots. In Halo 5 there is a second master chief and he wants to kill the first master chief, who is apparently bad and not good.

yeah 4 and 5 suck rear end. the halo universe is a clusterfuck and 5 was boring and terrible so they arnt even bring 6 to e3.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Reach was a fuckin masterpiece

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

HAT FETISH posted:

also genuinely lol at coward publishers insisting on multicultural american christofascism. not Gauuhh!! Why or gently caress Yeah. Good, just genuinely lol

Cool stroke bro.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Can't wait for Far Cry 6 which will be set in UK and where you'll get to play as a Muslim dude trying to cleanse the infidels.

Farcry 5 needs

- Raging midwest poverty
- Abandoned manufacturing plants caused by globalization
- Unionized schools where the students are taught nothing productive, teachers do not give a gently caress
- Constant propaganda and nostalga about the 1950's
- Cheese curds and Cheese Steak references
- Cherry Coke
- Some idiot redneck who is youtubing his dad's gun collection.
- Edgy liberal youths who want to run an ANTIFA on the local sheriff's office.
- Obese 1488 Neo-Nazi's who perpetually clean their Mosin's at the comic book shop
- A reference to a dead internet comedy forum which was created by a guy from Nebraska
- A crystal meth running operation
- A reference to "The South"
- A local oligarch who claims he's Democrat and progressive but is actually from an Old Dixie slaver family & involved in sex trafficking / cocaine running.
- An ending scene where the FBI decides the town is a terrorist enclave and calls in APC's to burn the town to the ground. Town surrenders. President of the USA decides to burn down the town anyways to push a surveillance state agenda. Thelast scene of the game involves FBI agents gunning down everyone in front of your character, followed by a good ol' curbstomping.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I hope they have mammoths in this one too

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hal_2005 posted:

Farcry 5 needs

- Raging midwest poverty
- Abandoned manufacturing plants caused by globalization
- Unionized schools where the students are taught nothing productive, teachers do not give a gently caress
- Constant propaganda and nostalga about the 1950's
- Cheese curds and Cheese Steak references
- Cherry Coke
- Some idiot redneck who is youtubing his dad's gun collection.
- Edgy liberal youths who want to run an ANTIFA on the local sheriff's office.
- Obese 1488 Neo-Nazi's who perpetually clean their Mosin's at the comic book shop
- A reference to a dead internet comedy forum which was created by a guy from Nebraska
- A crystal meth running operation
- A reference to "The South"
- A local oligarch who claims he's Democrat and progressive but is actually from an Old Dixie slaver family & involved in sex trafficking / cocaine running.
- An ending scene where the FBI decides the town is a terrorist enclave and calls in APC's to burn the town to the ground. Town surrenders. President of the USA decides to burn down the town anyways to push a surveillance state agenda. Thelast scene of the game involves FBI agents gunning down everyone in front of your character, followed by a good ol' curbstomping.

It'd be nice to have a few different factions with actually differing objectives to support for various reasons. They did this really lazily in Farcry 4 but I'd like to see an open-world game that reflects your impact on the power dynamics of the region (besides just conquering it)

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

"run an ANTIFA"

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
unionized schools and their lazy teachers :argh:

more realistically, it would feature home-schooled retards and their paranoid, cowardly parents.

also, holy gently caress, i never knew there were so many gaming nerds on this dead gae forum.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

WaryWarren posted:

unionized schools and their lazy teachers :argh:

more realistically, it would feature home-schooled retards and their paranoid, cowardly parents.

also, holy gently caress, i never knew there were so many gaming nerds on this dead gae forum.
what else do you think depressed alcoholics do besides jerkin off and drinking themselves to death

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I think I'll let somebody more eloquent explain the point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdNhwb7iuI4&t=77s

I never heard the word friend of the family what is this piece of poo poo game??!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

a hole-y ghost posted:

what else do you think depressed alcoholics do besides jerkin off and drinking themselves to death

Smoke weed and engage in child sex roleplay (and do a very good job in that aspect of the scenario)?

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Lowtax should play a Far Cry.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WaryWarren posted:

I'm pretty sure that games is the largest subforum.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
you know wat i wish this game would have? some good loving gore.

how come gore in video games peaked with Soldier of Fortune 2, a game that came out in 2002?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tumble posted:

how come gore in video games peaked with Soldier of Fortune 2, a game that came out in 2002?

lol look at this noob

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

I played that sniper game and it was SO BORING

the AI couldn't do poo poo. The AI can never do poo poo against snipers

You just sit on a perch and kill the poor fools

I wish games would focus on making AI better instead of graphics now. The graphics are good enough, lets make the AI cooler to fight

I guess that's harder though.. But I feel like the AI hasn't really come very far since Half-Life 1, in 1998 (holy mother of god, i am old)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tumble posted:

I dunno about that, Mortal Kombat X had some pretty extreme graphic violence.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in! posted:

I dunno about that, Mortal Kombat X had some pretty extreme graphic violence.

loving doom just came out last year

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

WaryWarren posted:

really? thats like SAs raison d'être

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Gore was peaking in games around soldier of fortune, which got a lot of controversy about it, but then we had a complete shift for a while, to games with almost no gore.

Half-Life went from soldiers and aliens exploding into bits of gorey limbs and skulls to ragdolls in Half-Life 2 with zero limb damage and only minor blood splatter when you shot up guys. I dunno if it was because media was constantly attacking games for being "too violent" at the time so the entire industry kind of chilled out or if it was more about technology, like maybe it was real hard to make gore work with the brand new physics stuff and ragdolls that were introduced about a decade ago

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It'd be nice to have a few different factions with actually differing objectives to support for various reasons. They did this really lazily in Farcry 4 but I'd like to see an open-world game that reflects your impact on the power dynamics of the region (besides just conquering it)
Technically Fallout: New Vegas does this, but not to a great degree. It mostly just changes who is going to shoot you on sight.

Fartbox posted:

Half-Life went from soldiers and aliens exploding into bits of gorey limbs and skulls to ragdolls in Half-Life 2 with zero limb damage and only minor blood splatter when you shot up guys. I dunno if it was because media was constantly attacking games for being "too violent" at the time so the entire industry kind of chilled out or if it was more about technology, like maybe it was real hard to make gore work with the brand new physics stuff and ragdolls that were introduced about a decade ago
Half-Life 2 was a highly anticipated franchise game and was the flagship release for both The Source Engine and Steam. They were keeping things as family-friendly as possible while still being about shootymans

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

a bone to pick posted:

I did play and beat this game but I remembered Mortal Kombat X because I am playing Injustice 2 a lot right now and that is by the same developer.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

a bone to pick posted:

Ye and it owned

Gore does have a place in extremely violent shooters. Tearing apart demons in Doom was very satisfying

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fartbox posted:

Gore was peaking in games around soldier of fortune

Is that when you stopped playing video games? Because I bet you I can name a gorier game for every year past whenever Soldier of Fortune came out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

My favorite faction mechanic in a game is old school Everquest where your race and religion determine who you can speak with and what cities you can visit. You can be a human but based on the religion you chose later in the game you could be banned from entering certain cities that other human players could enter.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

A lot of love and care went into this stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SGiI0_AA4o

Fartbox fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 28, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

Technically Fallout: New Vegas does this, but not to a great degree. It mostly just changes who is going to shoot you on sight.

Half-Life 2 was a highly anticipated franchise game and was the flagship release for both The Source Engine and Steam. They were keeping things as family-friendly as possible while still being about shootymans

it was a game like 100% about physics tossing poo poo around and ragdolls were more tossable than gibs, i don't think "family friendly" was the major consideration in a game that has you go cutting skinless bug head dudes in half with giant sawblades

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

Is that when you stopped playing video games? Because I bet you I can name a gorier game for every year past whenever Soldier of Fortune came out.

In the soldier of fortune game I played I could cut people up into little pieces with my knoife. I didn't play many other shooters at the time that were so focused on gore and i dont recall many others getting as much flak for it as SoF either

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the new friday the 13th game is pretty loving gory

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fartbox posted:

In the soldier of fortune game I played I could cut people up into little pieces with my knoife. I didn't play many other shooters at the time that were so focused on gore and i dont recall many others getting as much flak for it as SoF either

Have you played Shadow Warrior 2? It splits enemies into gory chunks dynamically depending on how exactly you sliced them up with your sword and you can keep hacking them apart even after they're dead.

In fact there are a whole bunch of games that do a lot of similar things way better than SoF thanks to modern technology.
Killing Floor 2 even uses NVIDIA's Soft Body tech to simulate accurate meat chunk and blood liquids physics.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fartbox posted:

ok now it just sounds like you're mad games don't more explicitly cater to your fetish

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

shadow warrior 2 came out in 2016, soldier of fortune 2 came out in 2000ish

A lot has happened since then and we're getting back to gore nowadays

But stuff like this was real controversial back then, in the long long ago

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fartbox posted:

shadow warrior 2 came out in 2016, soldier of fortune came out in 2000

A lot has happened since then and we're getting back to gore nowadays

Are you...but..WHAT?!

You said that:

Fartbox posted:

Gore was peaking in games around soldier of fortune

My point is that it wasn't since every year after someone was pushing the gore tech even further and further.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

No I don't like gore for gores sake, i only like it in stuff like Doom when I can explode demons. You know, where it's fitting

It'd be real weird with ultraviolence in games like bioshock infinite for example. Blowing up people into piles of guts while your disney princess cheers you on would be all kinds of wrong

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

My point is that it wasn't since every year after someone was pushing the gore tech even further and further.

I don't think I understand what you're trying to say

I thought you said that gore got even worse after soldier of fortune, but I personally saw a stark decline in the industry soon after

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fartbox posted:

It'd be real weird with ultraviolence in games like bioshock infinite for example. Blowing up people into piles of guts while your disney princess cheers you on would be all kinds of wrong

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Trades posted:

Have you played Shadow Warrior 2? It splits enemies into gory chunks dynamically depending on how exactly you sliced them up with your sword and you can keep hacking them apart even after they're dead.

I was just about to post a shadow warrior 2 gif.

IMO shadow warrior > Doom

http://i.imgur.com/kUwsa4X.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Well you got me there, i never used melee in the game only guns

• Locked thread