Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Khorne posted:

They could just make an Eye of the Storm style map.

Then I could boop people to their deaths in HotS AND Overwatch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Holy moly just won a Hanamura map 7-0 taking a keep and they never hit 10

That might have been me. :ohdear:

Joined a "looking for party" group, for some reason they thought Team League was a good idea, we (a 5-person party of randos) went up against what was almost certainly a 5-person party of people who actually know and practice working together as a 5-person team. It was absolutely brutal. :doh:

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
Delicious nerd rage: https://youtu.be/NLchkm51bis

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!

6.5/10

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
So is his actual name Rich or did he just decide to piggyback on another's player fame?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Dva is so stupidly good.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Eraflure posted:

Dva is so stupid

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
*Reports abusive chat*

reason: loving USELES

That's a great video, you always kind of wonder what those people are like on the other side of the screen. Really funny to watch.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

That guy could be accurately described as a twerp

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

hawowanlawow posted:

That guy could be accurately described as a twerp

His face will be the one I picture every time somebody in my poo poo tier qm rages out and quits on the team

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

This is the more appropriate one.

Like, what's the point of having a mech if its only weapon is weaker than a loving pistol?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

The mech deals a lot of damage though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The mech is what gives you all the abilities that make D.Va good.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Shadowlyger posted:

This is the more appropriate one.

Like, what's the point of having a mech if its only weapon is weaker than a loving pistol?

It's meant to be durable and mobile so they don't lose their ace pilots. They deploy tons of them at once against the mecha Godzilla so the guns add up

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

exquisite tea posted:

The mech is what gives you all the abilities that make D.Va good.

Yeah, but not damage. You gotta admit that's a bit weird. Big hulking murderbot-looking thing vs pew-pew laser.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gustav posted:

Yeah, but not damage. You gotta admit that's a bit weird. Big hulking murderbot-looking thing vs pew-pew laser.

It's the same in Overwatch too. Dropoff is a thing so if you're shoved against someone's face the mech's shotguns deal pretty hefty damage but it falls off significantly once you get even 10 meters away and they (relatively) recently nerfed her damage even further to the point where you're basically throwing chip damage out most of the time.

At least in HotS the pilot mode blaster is a significant threat, in OW it's basically the equivalent of Mercy's pistol.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Day 3 or so of Probius spam and I still prefer the rift build to the turret build--even against stealthies, the detection range is so small it's effectively useless

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It's meant to be durable and mobile so they don't lose their ace pilots. They deploy tons of them at once against the mecha Godzilla so the guns add up

Point is that if the pistol is stronger than the shotgun cannons, why not just strap a pair of those onto the mech? It makes literally zero sense for her damage to be higher outside of the mech.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Shadowlyger posted:

Point is that if the pistol is stronger than the shotgun cannons, why not just strap a pair of those onto the mech? It makes literally zero sense for her damage to be higher outside of the mech.

Lore and gameplay balance are not the same thing.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

Kai Tave posted:

At least in HotS the pilot mode blaster is a significant threat, in OW it's basically the equivalent of Mercy's pistol.

Isn't that the game design philosophy though? When D.Va "dies", she doesn't die but goes into a sort of weakened state where she has less health, does less damage, but by surviving long enough she can eventually move back to her normal status. The player is rewarded for making due despite being so vulnerable.

Instead in HotS she does stupid amounts of damage out of her mech in comparison to how much damage she does in her mech to the point where it is often encouraged to stay out of the mech for as long as possible to maximize performance. Also, good loving luck trying to kill her.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Get Innocuous! posted:

Isn't that the game design philosophy though? When D.Va "dies", she doesn't die but goes into a sort of weakened state where she has less health, does less damage, but by surviving long enough she can eventually move back to her normal status. The player is rewarded for making due despite being so vulnerable.

Instead in HotS she does stupid amounts of damage out of her mech in comparison to how much damage she does in her mech to the point where it is often encouraged to stay out of the mech for as long as possible to maximize performance. Also, good loving luck trying to kill her.

Staying out of mech = not building your self destruct charge = why are you playing D.Va.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Nephzinho posted:

Staying out of mech = not building your self destruct charge = why are you playing D.Va.

Truth be told without GG WP she doesn't do that good of damage as a pilot. The problem is the other talents on that tier aren't really worth considering in comparison.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Dietrich posted:

Truth be told without GG WP she doesn't do that good of damage as a pilot. The problem is the other talents on that tier aren't really worth considering in comparison.

In fairness I think her talents in general are too W focused.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

Yeah, I think pilot D.Va is a DPS machine but the D.Vas that I hate fighting the most are the ones dropping self destructs constantly

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Shadowlyger posted:

Maybe they are more effective on miles of metal plating instead of small fleshy targets.
Also dva is just getting head shots all the time in hots also

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

DVa is weird and there is tension about what form is best in a given situation. This rewards good decision making and situational awareness.

For my part, i like her a lot, and tend to build Acceleration, Faster E charge, W-slow, Pilot poke, Ablative*, GG WP, and instarobot. I feel that being able to poke in pilot form to rebuild mech even when you can't stay in range for autoattack is very powerful, and that GG WP means DVa is still a threat after she loses her mech. The second you get people shooting at you, getting back in the robot is paramount. I also tend to use self destruct as a zoning ult rather than assuming I'll get kills with it, barring something like a Zarya ult. I take W slow because I find that Q into W is a decent way to secure kills with support of a team. That said, I'm bad and I'm still learning a lot of her decision making - she seems fun and worth learning.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shadowlyger posted:

And furthermore when murky uses march of the murlocs this horde of endless murlocs (all smaller than the supposed newborn murky) seemingly come from out of nowhere *snort* are we to believe this is some sort of magic horn? Boy I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder!

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Coolness Averted posted:

And furthermore when murky uses march of the murlocs this horde of endless murlocs (all smaller than the supposed newborn murky) seemingly come from out of nowhere *snort* are we to believe this is some sort of magic horn? Boy I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder!

lmao

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Coolness Averted posted:

:gaz: but with Murky

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I actually wanted to throw in that smilie but thought it was :doomtoot: not gaz, so couldn't remember it and just assumed it was gone now.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I was about to say that the argument that a mech should deal more damage than a tiny korean woman with a pistol holds little weight in a world in which a weird fish-frog baby can deal terrifying amounts of damage while huge burly guys and gals with big weapons frequently hit for a pittance and can't kill anything.
It's a video game and these characters have weaknesses. D.Va damage is fine.

The one thing I'm on the fence about is the lack of mobility options in mech form and the harsh speed penalty, but she doesn't really feel too weak to me. Some of her talents aren't amazing, I guess, and the level 4 talent that increases the size of your W seems like the most obvious trap in the history of talents.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Mind over Matter posted:

Lore and gameplay balance are not the same thing.

It doesn't make sense from a game balance perspective either.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shadowlyger posted:

:nallears: Yes, the character that gives up armor in exchange for speed and damage is totally not a thing whatsoever.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Shadowlyger posted:

D.va would be insanely overpowered if her Meka damage was increased.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Also why does no one ever mention that the normal Meka attack is a line-shaped AoE? That would factor into her damage

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

All the w talents feel like traps to me

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

All the w talents feel like traps to me

The trap is there are way too many of them. I don't think it's a great ability tbh.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

:nallears: Yes, the character that gives up armor in exchange for speed and damage is totally not a thing whatsoever.

You don't "give up" poo poo, you die except instead of dying you now do more damage and have to be killed a second time.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

The trap is there are way too many of them. I don't think it's a great ability tbh.

Basically. It's very good in the very few times it works.
20% slow is the weakest slow in the game I'm pretty sure. Turning off your attack for that is going to have the enemies die slower half the time. People probably won't be attacking inside it and walk instead so fusion generator doesn't give you much charge.
Honestly the big zone sounds like one of the better talents. But I haven't tried it yet. Bring it on is on that tier right? Wins everytime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Shadowlyger posted:

You don't "give up" poo poo, you die except instead of dying you now do more damage and have to be killed a second time.

Except that you can literally be jumped on, have no escape unless you pick the talents for it and fall over to a stiff breeze. I've seen D'vas in games die because they overestimate their survivability out of mech and die just before they can get back in. I don't think it's fair to say that you don't give up anything.