Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I like how this one dev's testimony somehow supercedes all the others' who were positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't the Switch NEOGEO games all have online play? I swear it says as much in their eShop listings :confused:.

No, they're all arcade ports, so they only have local versus mode. The online functionality is just high score leaderboards.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Stux posted:

the switch version was announced at the same time as the xbox and pc ports but its coming out q3 instead of may like those versions so the porting process for switch takes significantly longer than any other platform despite it being so easy to dev for

crikey

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Didn't Rime take like 8 years to make and burn through exclusivity deals with both Microsoft and Sony? Maybe they aren't actually good at making games in a timely manner after all.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I played arms for 20 minutes and confirmed it's garbage and those that enjoy it are lying or also garbage. These findings have been peer reviewed and are available in your nearest medical journal.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Stux posted:

the switch version was announced at the same time as the xbox and pc ports but its coming out q3 instead of may like those versions so the porting process for switch takes significantly longer than any other platform despite it being so easy to dev for

They announced the ports at the same time, they didn't start the ports at the same time. Also they outsourced the port to another company that may have had other jobs on its schedule first, and neither company had dev kits until much later than they had dev kits for the other versions.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Real hurthling! posted:

https://youtu.be/cQsYhdVJMYk

Not surprising to see issues for a small dev releasing a game on every platform

Switch version likely requires a lot of duct tape and hot glue to bodge together

Well, that explains it. I guess that's why they outsourced the porting to Tantalus Media, the team behind Twilight Princess HD.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Does anyone have any experience with their Joycon Wriststrap lock not locking anymore? No matter which joycon I try putting it on, it just kinda squishes but does not click and/or lock.

I've never put them on the joycon the wrong way (I just got the system on Friday..) and this is just a bummer! I'm sure Nintendo will happily replace it (especially since it basically makes its function as a safety device useless.)

I tried googling it to see if anyone else has had a similar experience but the only results I got were people who put them on backwards and can't get them unstuck.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm awake so I might as well try ARMS again. I only got to play 3 matches and it didn't click. I'll play as much of the testpunch as I can but I think Tekken 7 should be enough fighting for this summer.

Can't wait for Splatoon 2 though!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I have experience trying the wrist straps on once on the day I bought the console and immediately realizing they were garbage and putting them in a drawer forever. Even my four year old recognized that they suck.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Stux posted:

It's a small team that over extended. Switch is easy doing this many versions is for a small team nothing but crunch and I'll advised. In the time you spent researching the game instead of poo poo posting, you could have ported your post to switch.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
How do I port my posts to Switch? I think my posts are easily worth $5, maybe even $10.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh I'll wait for a sale...

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Take your posts, control x, open note pad. Control V. Save to micro SD using a SD adapter. Safely eject, place micro SD into Nintendo Switch.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

They're easy to port, but the Switch isn't powerful enough to animate your avatar.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Stux posted:

your gay

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

No idea how to play arms and I am destroying all the Japanese players while looking like an idiot jumping around the living room at 5 in the morning.
Thank you, Nintendo.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Mega64 posted:

How do I port my posts to Switch? I think my posts are easily worth $5, maybe even $10.

Well, first you have to get a name change to "Mega64 NINTENDO SWITCH VER"

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I can't tell if I just won 6 arms matches in a row because other people are bad or if because my bad internet lag helped me win. Also the V Ball thing seems pretty bad

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Scylo posted:

I can't tell if I just won 6 arms matches in a row because other people are bad or if because my bad internet lag helped me win. Also the V Ball thing seems pretty bad

I've had some fun with V-Ball. Going in with the Megaton and RamRam has won me a few rounds, because you can salvage a bounce by hooking the ball with the Ramram from the side.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Scylo posted:

Sounds like a great game

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Who wants to play VIDEO GAMES?

https://twitter.com/tinyBuild/status/868432955470958592

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGaI9GSINTk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMbMjXPxSZw

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Haha, I just finished this this week and noticed it was like 3.7Gb, said "what the gently caress?" and archived it. There's like two fuckin songs and one set of tiles.

Edit: I just realized I misread this. I thought with patch they were reducing the game to 800mb, when in fact they are just making it even bigger.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 28, 2017

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They announced the ports at the same time, they didn't start the ports at the same time. Also they outsourced the port to another company that may have had other jobs on its schedule first, and neither company had dev kits until much later than they had dev kits for the other versions.

weird that they needed to outsource the port given how easy it is to develop for the system

and?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So you played an alpha and were disappointed by lack of content?

Noted.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Infinitum posted:

So you played an alpha and were disappointed by lack of content?

Noted.

its hard to tell if something is in alpha or release state simply based on amount of content for example splatoon's initial release wasnt an alpha despite the similiar lack of content so please excuse any confusion

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The lazy trolling in this thread is just boring tbh

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Stux posted:

weird that they needed to outsource the port given how easy it is to develop for the system

No it's not. It's a tiny team working in three simultaneous versions already, and Tantalus already had the devkits.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Scholtz posted:

I don't blame stux just the people replying to him

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I do

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah this.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I wish Stux would get taint reaped

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No it's not. It's a tiny team working in three simultaneous versions already, and Tantalus already had the devkits.

imo whats strange is when teams half the size can manage 3 simultaneous versions too but doubling the amount of staff isnt enough for even a delayed switch port in house despite it being so easy to dev for

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
its especially strange too when rime is on ue4 which was explicitly touted as having native switch support in order to facillitate quick and easy porting helping to give the switch its reputation as easy to develop for

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Stux posted:

its especially strange too when rime is on ue4 which was explicitly touted as having native switch support in order to facillitate quick and easy porting helping to give the switch its reputation as easy to develop for

Porting to Switch means taking in account the Switch's architecture, but the devs who have done the porting have applauded the relatively painless manner it happens. This is probably due to the fact NVIDIA was involved in the design of the hardware. And by the look of things so far, there are a good range of games that run at 60 fps, which is good.

Oh wait, I'm not supposed to reply to Stux. Never mind then.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Rexroom posted:

That's because RiME isn't made in UE4. Regardless, porting to Switch means taking in account the Switch's architecture, but the devs who have done the porting have applauded the relatively painless manner it happens. This is probably due to the fact NVIDIA was involved in the design of the hardware. And by the look of things so far, there are a good range of games that run at 60 fps, which is good.

Oh wait, I'm not supposed to reply to Stux. Never mind then.

thats weird i swore it was ue4

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/showcase/rime

https://www.pcgamesn.com/rime/rime-unreal-engine-4-making-of

quote:

“Actually, the game’s visuals are not cel-shaded,” explains technical artist Pablo Fernández, “but an adaptation of Unreal Engine 4’s PBR (Physically Based Rendering) materials, tailored to suit our artistic vision of the game and achieve a ‘cartoon’ look through the use of texture and lighting.”

maybe i was mistaken? which enginge does it use... maybe it uses something proprietary i guess, that would explain why the port would take longer despite the switch being so easy to develop for

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Scholtz posted:

It's gotten pretty thick, too many "me-too" gimmick posters. Mods need to step up.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
huh thats strange your post has changed is there a bug in the forum or something? mods?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Hey guys, what's the best hard travel case for the Nintendo Switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Frankston posted:

Hey guys, what's the best hard travel case for the Nintendo Switch?

a coffin

• Locked thread