Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

HoAssHo posted:

sorry, that was mean

Its okay I've done some bad stuff in my life I deserved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

its amazing to me that Rich and Jack are the only guys on the team with wives

Mike and Jay gotta be doing it right

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

bloom posted:

Joke's on you, I put a ton of effort into my appearance and still haven't got past second base.

One of these days I'll find the right video game t-shirt...

XXXL Hawaiian shirts and fedoras are the pinnacle of effort. I know because I am also a goon.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I want an Alien prequel that explains where the logo came from.

I want a Star Wars pre-prequel that explains who built the first lightsaber and how and using what components

Every single loving detail

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
wookiepedia: the movie

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Double Bill posted:

I want a Star Wars pre-prequel that explains who built the first lightsaber and how and using what components

Every single loving detail

Like the Aviator but with a lightsaber.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I don't like or approve of this take.

I wanted to make a "take the red pill" kinda joke here but I'm too lazy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Back to that helicopter stunt in T2, there's another I'm thinking of from a Jackie Chan movie, maybe Rumble in the Bronx, where a chopper hovers down to ground level in an alley, leans forward and tries to use its propellers to kill Jackie Chan. Was that a real stunt or was it on a crane? I think I remember a wide shot.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Back to that helicopter stunt in T2, there's another I'm thinking of from a Jackie Chan movie, maybe Rumble in the Bronx, where a chopper hovers down to ground level in an alley, leans forward and tries to use its propellers to kill Jackie Chan. Was that a real stunt or was it on a crane? I think I remember a wide shot.

That was the second or third Brosnan James Bond movie and it's physically impossible for a helicopter to do that.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Don't listen to that guy! Not only did it happen, but I was the pilot.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The_Franz posted:

That was the second or third Brosnan James Bond movie and it's physically impossible for a helicopter to do that.

If that was in the Brosnan film I'm fairly sure they ripped it off from a Jackie Chan movie.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Fartbox posted:

its amazing to me that Rich and Jack are the only guys on the team with wives

Mike and Jay gotta be doing it right

Think about how many Star Trek references Mike makes

Does that seem like a guy who has 'done', 'does', or 'will do' 'it'

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Stabbatical posted:

Think about how many Star Trek references Mike makes

Does that seem like a guy who has 'done', 'does', or 'will do' 'it'

Mike fucks, of this I have no doubt

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The_Franz posted:

But I did it all the time in Grand Theft Auto!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You've seen Mike put his arm around Jessie. They bonged.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If that was in the Brosnan film I'm fairly sure they ripped it off from a Jackie Chan movie.

It was Tomorrow Never Dies, when Brosnan and Michelle Yeoh are being chased through Beijing.

And yeah, 100% fake. A helicopter can't hover with its nose down and rotors at 45 degrees.

If it were elevated it would be diving quickly while moving forward. An inch off the ground it would wreck in one nanosecond.

Also, helicopter blades will shatter under the stress of their own force if they hit solid objects. They can't be used like a buzzsaw like in that scene.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You've seen Mike put his arm around Jessie. They bonged.

gross

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

They also do the helicopter thing in the first Mission Impossible, around 4 min into this clip;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjxUCEWPr-k

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Also they did that in 28 Weeks Later, choppin zombie heads.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

A helicopter basically self destructs in an instant if one of its blades touches an object.

here's a video of that happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5aMT9MBfZI&t=29s (no one killed in that crash)

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Helicopters are bad designs. Where are our cool hovering vehicles and stuff?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I forget the physics equation, but picture how slow an object would move sitting close to the center of 45 rpm record, versus how fast it moves out at the edge.

Now scale it up to the record is moving at 500 rpm and the record is 32 feet wide.

The tip of a rotor is moving at something insane like 440 mph. Just glancing a solid object at that speed will tear apart anything.

And helicopter rotors are designed to bend because of the forces they generate. If they were made of extremely sturdy steel, allowing it to cut through objects, the engine would tear itself apart.

So helicopters are quite literally designed to be perfect at flying and to shatter into little bits if they touch something because you can only choose one of these two options: Stabile flight or being a big dumb buzzsaw that can't fly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

rewatching that T2 helicopter scene now, this poo poo is insane

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I forget the physics equation, but picture how slow an object would move sitting close to the center of 45 rpm record, versus how fast it moves out at the edge.

Now scale it up to the record is moving at 500 rpm and the record is 32 feet wide.

The tip of a rotor is moving at something insane like 440 mph. Just glancing a solid object at that speed will tear apart anything.

And helicopter rotors are designed to bend because of the forces they generate. If they were made of extremely sturdy steel, allowing it to cut through objects, the engine would tear itself apart.

So helicopters are quite literally designed to be perfect at flying and to shatter into little bits if they touch something because you can only choose one of these two options: Stabile flight or being a big dumb buzzsaw that can't fly.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
That's a lot of words that don't matter because the blade is going at the same RPM as the rotor. The tip doesn't "go faster" it just covers more ground than the center in the same amount of time, it's only technically "faster" but that's not really relevant. I learned this from a Google search, just now.

You could just say "a helicopter is a giant fan but the fan blades are flimsy and will fly apart if anything touches them".

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

King Vidiot posted:

The tip doesn't "go faster" it just covers more ground than the center in the same amount of time, it's only technically "faster" but that's not really relevant.

You should probably have a better grasp on what words mean if you are going to comment on something.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

That's a lot of words that don't matter because the blade is going at the same RPM as the rotor. The tip doesn't "go faster" it just covers more ground than the center in the same amount of time, it's only technically "faster" but that's not really relevant. I learned this from a Google search, just now.

You could just say "a helicopter is a giant fan but the fan blades are flimsy and will fly apart if anything touches them".

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

LMAO

Savaged by Calvin's dad.

The loving physics formula for speed is literally distance over time. The tip of the rotor is going farther in the same amount of time. That's literally the definition of faster, dude. lol.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 28, 2017

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Interesting aerodynamic theories gentlemen, but could an aeroplane take off from a treadmill if it were big enough?

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Stiffer bladed helicopters are becoming a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HncZgouxt9k

I don't know how the S-97 compares to longer flappy bladed ones in efficiency, but it definitely can fly.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The loving physics formula for speed is literally distance over time. The tip of the rotor is going farther in the same amount of time. That's literally the definition of faster, dude. lol.

That is not at all how evolution works.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

a bone to pick posted:

Interesting aerodynamic theories gentlemen, but could an aeroplane take off from a treadmill if it were big enough?

what would happen if u tryed to fly a drone in the subway??? probly it would fly back super fast and hit the rear door

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

I wish Jack was here so he could beat you all to death with his huge monster dong

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Rotacixe posted:

Stiffer bladed helicopters are becoming a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HncZgouxt9k

I don't know how the S-97 compares to longer flappy bladed ones in efficiency, but it definitely can fly.

Well yes, you can have sturdIER props, but solid ones that hold together against impact are theoretically impossible unless we discover unobtainium.

And 99% of non-military helicopters would never have a use for the enormous cost of those when it's easier and vastly cheaper to just not fly into poo poo.

Fun fact: interstates and baseball/soccer fields and public parks are often designed with a restriction on overhead wiring so that military and hospital/ems helicopters can land in the clearing unobstructed at night, and firefighters and some police carry mobile landing zones for this.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

My ego immediately shatters upon the slightest contact with another person

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

I do
Science is cool and much better than another St** **rs derail.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Rumble in the Bronx had a couple insane stunts involving that hovercraft. There was also the Jackie Chan movie where some dude just plows through a bus windshield that was completely unplanned.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I love all derails equally

*earlier that day*

I don't care for Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I do
Science is cool and much better than another St** **rs derail.

Light takes 8 minutes to reach the Earth from the Sun. As soon as the star is destroyed I'm pretty sure everything on the planet would instantly freeze cause it gets pretty cold in my shed.

• Locked thread