Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have been a Mac user for a long time but it was getting to the point where it was going to be too expensive to justify getting a new desktop/iMac.

But when I found out about Hackintoshs I jumped in and took the risk as the worse that would happen was that it wouldn't work and I would end up with a Windows machine.

It hasn't been at a loss for Apple, I got an iPhone because of how usable OSX is and I was rewarded with the same in iOS. I also got an old i5 Macbook Pro that is a good workhorse away from the desktop.

One of the big knocks I have with Android is the lack of UI standardisation. One example with each app you never know what the hambuger button contains and it changes depending on where in the app you are. So every time you use someone's else's Android or use a new app you don't know what does what.

Back during Boot 1-2-3, the original leak of tech that allowed all this setting up a Hack took a solid day or more and it would be wonky even on a recommend board. Now maybe one or two hours if you had nice compatible motherboard and you run it as if it was a real Mac. Clover is a massive leap that makes this so much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
My Thinkpad's HDD is getting old I think. poo poo takes a while to load on it so I'm gonna switch to a SSD and put the HDD into a caddy in the CD-Rom slot and remove that useless bit of tech. What is the best way to handle migrating from HDD to SSD? Just boot a Linux distro up and dd the HDD to SSD?

I just realized a few weeks ago you can use Mac with the lid closed so I set up Synergy on the Win box and use it as my primary OS and shunted Windows to just gaming duty.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
So if you install Clover with MultiBeast, is it safe to install the regular version after for the system pref panel?

EDIT: nevermind Clover Configurator does it

pram fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 2, 2017

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

YouTuber posted:

My Thinkpad's HDD is getting old I think. poo poo takes a while to load on it so I'm gonna switch to a SSD and put the HDD into a caddy in the CD-Rom slot and remove that useless bit of tech. What is the best way to handle migrating from HDD to SSD? Just boot a Linux distro up and dd the HDD to SSD?

I just realized a few weeks ago you can use Mac with the lid closed so I set up Synergy on the Win box and use it as my primary OS and shunted Windows to just gaming duty.

You should be able to SuperDupe from the HDD to the SSD easily enough, even while the OS is loaded. If you have separate bootloader partitions though you may need to take other steps.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Managed to get Yosemite running in a Alienware laptop.

ElCapitan could work but it's weird USB mapping quirks make it a major headache. It did boot once, then refused. Yosemite is the last version that doesn't have heavy lockdown.

The onboard graphics get a bit weird, sound needs a USB dongle and so does wifi.
Keyboard bindings are off, the Apple key is alt for some reason.

No chance I think of getting the Nivida onboard graphics working as it's an Optimus config that can't be unpaired.

Might have to read the TonyMac laptop guide closer to see if I can improve on it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't know what the hell is going on, but I can't get Clover to work.

I can access my OS X through a USB drive with Clover, then I download Clover from Sourceforge and install it onto the OS drive (it has it's own dedicated SSD.) However, I reboot into my BIOS and see the same list as before.

UEFI: Windows Boot Loader
A couple other SSD options that are not EFI and bring up Windows Boot Manager errors whenever I try them
USB (if it's plugged in) and that's it. No Clover from the SSD at all. It's like the motherboard can't see it or something

This has been going on since I rushed into W10 Creators Update, iirc. I dunno. I'm about ready to give up and throw in the towel on hack-macs entirely. I was just going through the hoops to make my AMD graphics work and now this.

Forget all of the above. It was a bizarre quest, but I managed to both restore Clover to my motherboard's boot list through a Windows utility, and the kext edits to make my AMD gpu are working perfectly as well. It took seven months, but my Sierra upgrade nightmare is 95% over.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 5, 2017

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I have Sierra installed via Clover on my i3 / 660GTX and it's running super well and I haven't had any lockups or crashes yet. Are there any ways to check to make sure everything is actually working as intended?

I'm going to grab one of those "Hackintosh" compatible wifi cards from Aliexpress.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

thegoat posted:

I have Sierra installed via Clover on my i3 / 660GTX and it's running super well and I haven't had any lockups or crashes yet. Are there any ways to check to make sure everything is actually working as intended?

I'm going to grab one of those "Hackintosh" compatible wifi cards from Aliexpress.

https://unigine.com/en/products/benchmarks

The Valley and Heaven benchmarks are both mac compatible, I use them when trying to stress out real macs. Won't test every part of your system but will get the graphics and CPU churning.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, for the curious, here's the state of things with RX 4x0/5x0 cards. You have a horrible choice: you can either get full graphics acceleration but lose HDMI audio and sleep, or you pick the opposite. I'd rather use mobo sound than watch OS graphical effects run like a slug, so the choice was easy.

So is there a better way than the Multibeast method of enabling ALC892 audio? Here's what it does, for the record:

quote:

Enables full functionality for the Realtek ALC892 high-definition audio codec. Installs RealtekALC.kext in /Library/Extensions. Adds codec-specific patches for AppleHDA.kext into /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist. Adds codec specific zlib files into /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources. CloverALC patching technique by toleda.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 5, 2017

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Gym Leader Barack posted:

https://unigine.com/en/products/benchmarks

The Valley and Heaven benchmarks are both mac compatible, I use them when trying to stress out real macs. Won't test every part of your system but will get the graphics and CPU churning.

Thanks I'll do some testing when I get off work and see how it goes. I hadn't attempted a hackintosh for ages and it was really easy this time.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

any recommendations for a goon-certified bluetooth (and wifi I guess) pci-e card that I can pick up off aliexpress?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
This is the one that was linked early in the thread: https://world.taobao.com/item/38195333521.htm

No idea whether it's still the best one to get.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bluetooth? If you are interested in a dongle that is OOB get a GMYLE Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter. I have two, they are easy to find, small, works great and are pretty cheap. You find them on ebay with free shipping coming out of Hong Kong.

I can't speak for anything else though as I have no need for an internal wireless network card or extra ports.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Do the BCM94360CD ones work in windows also?

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I haven't purchased one yet but this is one that I've seen recommended by some blogs about recent hackintosh builds.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fen...0308.4.2.KE9yDI

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Well I've tried a couple of things (first Multibeast, then CloverALC) trying to get my motherboard audio to work, and it won't.

So nowI've got a gazillion output devices under my sound menu, and none of them work. I've got mystery kexts and config patches I don't understand installed. This is basically the "gently caress it" point where I copy userfiles to my network and get ready to blow it all to hell, I suppose. I do enjoy the Mac experience, but without graphics and sound working together I'd have to reboot into Windows everytime someone sends me one of those hot YouTube drops, so this won't do.

So close, and yet so far. Going back to El Cap isn't an option since I now only have too-new-of-a-graphics-card, and applying numerous so-called fixes like a wildman didn't do anything, so I'll prepare for the eventual reformat if enthusiasm returns and people can ever get onboard sound working reliably. Hopefully someday Sierra onwards will reach levels of reliability and fewer hoops as Mountain Lion to El Cap did.

EDIT: Oh wait I can't reformat because I'm one of the few unicorns that has iMessage working oh my god I'm hosed.

Fun times!

EDIT 2: Wait, iMessage is tied to config.plist, right? I can just re-use one of the numerous backups I have.... I dunno, I guess I need to go finish hyperventilating and collect myself somewhere else.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 5, 2017

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
You could always just get a cheap USB DAC.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

GokieKS posted:

I recommend this route, it's what I did

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

revmoo posted:

I recommend this route, it's what I did

Likewise.
$5.00, no kexts, no hassle, works under any os.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Well, now that I'm calming down, I found there's uninstall instructions in the tonymac thread for these fixes, so I'll poke into them next time.

GokieKS posted:

I'll look into that, too.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I avoid Multibeast because it's a black box and shits Kexts and edits everywhere without an undo.

What is your motherboard chip set anyway?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
ALC892. The CloverHDA thread has uninstall procedures for both Multibeast and standalone installs, and I did both like an idiot. Should be a matter of following directions to fix. Meanwhile, I think I have a USB DAC here already that I used as an alternative to front panel headphone jack for streaming.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You are not dropping stuff in to S/L/E right? All the audio stuff should be done through EFI/Clover folders. With ALC command just drag an drop it into terminal. Edit: Have the EFI partition open.

Use Pacifist or other package inspection app and retrieve the unmodified AppleHDA.kext from the OSX installer. That will let you start fresh audio wise.

You 10.12 clover folder in EFI should contain FakeSMC.kext HDAEnabler1.kext HDMIAudio.kext. HDA enabler is the tricky one as there are a couple variations that cover certain output groupings and chipsets.

As for HDMI sound I don't know much about it and zero for AMD. I just drop HDMIAudio.kext it into relative clover folder with all the other kexts.

With clover you should never have to drop a hackintosh Kext into S/L/E again.

oohhboy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 6, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think some of these hacks used S/L/E... I'll check later. I know I edited some files inside a couple AMD-related ones and then refreshed the cache to get the RX 470 working.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

JayKay posted:

Debian/Ubutntu doesnt have iMessage

Wait, iMessage works now? I could never get it to work, which is actually why I ended up scrubbing the hackintosh :saddowns:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

eightysixed posted:

Wait, iMessage works now? I could never get it to work, which is actually why I ended up scrubbing the hackintosh :saddowns:

Works for El Capitan/Sierra only, illustrated guide here: http://www.fitzweekly.com/2016/02/hackintosh-imessage-tutorial.html?m=1

It involves generating a 'fake' serial number for your hackintosh..

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I have an 09 iMac whose video is dying. I'd like to extract the values from it for running iMessage in a hackintosh, what do I need to save and how do I get to it?

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Grassy Knowles posted:

I have an 09 iMac whose video is dying. I'd like to extract the values from it for running iMessage in a hackintosh, what do I need to save and how do I get to it?

MLB and ROM values, serial number. No idea how to extract them. I'm sure you can find it on tonymac though.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I think all you have to do is mount EFI and open the config.plist in something like Xcode or Clover Configurator.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
There is a command line executable called iMessageDebug.

Dunno where I got it from; if you can't find a source then I'll post it.

Run it and it will print out all the magic numbers you need.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
It's been many years since I built a hackintosh, but just finished a new one. It was much less painful than a few years ago. Everything works perfectly:

i7-6700
Gigabyte Z170N-Wifi (replaced wifi card with Airport card and M2 adapter from Ebay)
EVGA GTX 1050 4GB
16GB RAM
525GB SSD (and 256GB SSD for Windows)
Thermalake watercooler
nCase M1 (Awesome small case)
Sierra 10.12.4

I followed the Sierra install guide at Tonymacx86. No crashes whatsoever. Problems I had to solve after initial install:

AC1150 audio
Enable nVidia web drivers (vram was also correcly reported, extra kexts fixed it)
iMessage (followed dummies guide to imessage at tonymac)

I haven't had a single problem with it. Everything I needed was at Tonymac's site, it just took some patience to find particular answers.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
iMessage works perfectly, use this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/

Clover Configurator has a built in wizard to generate serials etc

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Does anybody have a link to a guide or forum post on how to get a R9 290 to work in El Capitan? I understand that the 290x works OOB in most cases, can the card ID be spoofed on some way?

I just switched to Clover and I'm in no way an expert with it yet, so any help is appreciated.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is for Sierra but it should be a applicable. Go to the second post.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-getting-r9-290-390-non-x-to-work-on-sierra-10-12.210574/

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Cool, thanks, that's what I'm looking for!

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I'm running Hackintosh with an LG ultra-wide and a GTX 970 connected via DisplayPort.
I get an occasional graphics glitch where some random rows of pixels will light up only the right side of the monitor for a brief flash.
It's not a big deal but annoying enough.

If I reduce the resolution from 3440x to something else the glitch goes away but obviously makes everything pretty fuzzy.

Is there another fix that I can do to get rid of this problem? Any ideas? Would a different video card solve it?

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 6, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

xgalaxy posted:

I'm running Hackintosh with an LG ultra-wide and a GTX 970 connected via DisplayPort.
I get an occasional graphics glitch where some random rows of pixels will light up only the right side of the monitor for a brief flash.
It's not a big deal but annoying enough.

If I reduce the resolution from 3440x to something else the glitch goes away but obviously makes everything pretty fuzzy.

Is there another fix that I can do to get rid of this problem? Any ideas? Would a different video card solve it?

Does it happen in Windows? Could be a video card problem

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

mewse posted:

Does it happen in Windows? Could be a video card problem

Nope. Also have had linux on this machine and that was fine as well.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I switched out the DisplayPort cable for an HDMI cable and the glitching is gone but now I have no sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone tried doing a Hackintosh via Unraid? I'm speculating if I can do PCI passthrough for various components. Use the Intel GPU in my CPU for the Mac and pass my Nvidia 1060 over to a Windows VM and share the Keyboard/Mouse via Synergy. Is this total space cadet poo poo that will never work? I'm not certain how well Mac handles PCI passthrough. I already fiddled with this under Linux and the IOMMU groupings are conducive to pulling this off.