Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

stone cold posted:

how can i make my voice super not heard, i know let me try not voting

-a moron

like, we tried to flip my district and got super loving close, but yeah keep not voting because of "the man"

Im not trying to justify my own lack of voting, as I did vote, Im trying to say that the american populace isnt a pile of ignorant morons for not participating in elections as much as they should because theyre smart enough to see that the system is hosed up and opt out. Its not a good decision but its certainly a logical one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Turtlicious posted:

Man it's dope af that German's are coming in here and telling us how we got the wrong guy into office and trying to laugh at us, like they're not still the supreme losers of the world that we all laugh at for having a gdp so low their children played with their money like building blocks.

You're a loving idiot. Those same children who lived through WW2 and the lovely postwar decades are the policymakers behind the modern functional democratic state with sane economic and social policy

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

stone cold posted:

lmao

how can I best erode the red influence in my county

i know! not voting!!!

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Actually

You know the best way is by preventing 2 or more red voters from voting through physical means. Permanently or temporarily.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Chilichimp posted:

The electoral college, as a system, is a gigantic voter-suppression machine

You say this as if it's controversial at all. James Madison pretty much stated this directly.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
If US presidential elections were democratic then Trump loses. But they aren't so he won. We know the popular vote so this is a fact, not an opinion.

Since they're not democratic, blaming the general population for the outcome seems dumb as gently caress.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

Im not trying to justify my own lack of voting, as I did vote, Im trying to say that the american populace isnt a pile of ignorant morons for not participating in elections as much as they should because theyre smart enough to see that the system is hosed up and opt out. Its not a good decision but its certainly a logical one.

If they were able to vote and didn't they are in fact ignorant morons.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Oh god what the gently caress are we talking about.

If my depressed rear end can get out to vote in fuckin Indiana "apathy" is a bullshit excuse

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

cant cook creole bream posted:

Your voting system itself is kinda busted too. On average, how long did you spend in line on election day?
It's really weird to compare that to here. Voting usually only takes 5 minutes and happens on a Sunday. I kinda wonder how your turnout would be if that was feasible. And yes, I know that the Republicans prevent such changes for exactly that reason.

It's really going to depend on where you live. I live in a moderately wealthy CT suburb and I've never spent more than five minutes at my voting place for as long as I've lived here.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Apoplexy posted:

You know the best way is by preventing 2 or more red voters from voting through physical means. Permanently or temporarily.

There's only so much black tar heroin we can import from Afghanistan. They're doing the work themselves.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

It's really going to depend on where you live. I live in a moderately wealthy CT suburb and I've never spent more than five minutes at my voting place for as long as I've lived here.

Ditto in my moderately wealthy CT suburb.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The lack of interest in state and local elections is just as much at fault for the GOP's hold on power as Trump's election. If you skip state house races, you're part of the problem even if your state isn't competitive in national elections.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Andrast posted:

If they were able to vote and didn't they are in fact ignorant morons.

The fact that they can recognize the system is set up against them if they opt out for that reason would prove theyre not ignorant and actually pretty well informed.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Paradoxish posted:

I may have actually exaggerated with 5 minutes. Maybe if you include the commute. Usually, I was literally the only one there at that exact time. Seeing pictures of your lines in urban areas is kinda scary.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

theres a will theres moe posted:

gently caress you if you didn't vote.

If someone discusses politics and is aware of current events... just go loving vote. However you've talked yourself into believing your time is more important than going to vote doesn't matter, you're wrong. It is important. It is worth it. If everyone who "feel too dumb to act" just voted their conscience on a basic understanding of the issues or "doesn't think their vote will matter in the end" because they live in a solidly red district/state, these right-wing assholes wouldn't have a chance.

Honestly, my dudes, the platform is posted on the internet for all to see; every repugnant plank.

I've met more than a few people who just don't want to get their heads into politics, because it's so toxic. I can sympathize. That is a valid fear. As a dude raised republican in a deep district of a deep red state, with talk radio/fox addicted parents, and mega-religious siblings... I CAN SYMPATHIZE.

Stop not voting because it helps you get along with your family. Stop refusing to educate yourself because it'll frustrate you to be opposed. These are features, not bugs, of fascist rhetoric. The sentiment isn't "gently caress You" for not voting, it's "Help Us".

I realize I'm preaching to the choir for the most part.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

The fact that they can recognize the system is set up against them if they opt out for that reason would prove theyre not ignorant and actually pretty well informed.

The system is poo poo but change isn't impossible. They are ignorant morons.

Unless a person is legitimately disenfranchised there is no good reason not to vote. Everybody who doesn't is a fuckwit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He truly became president with that tweet

I'm still pissed about Van Jones saying this exact thing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AP/status/868863456275034117

Enjoy your 20 hour flights trapped using the in-flight entertainment.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Meme Emulator posted:

"smart enough"

doesn't your tongue get tired from all the effort you're expending licking your own genitals

it's a logical one if you are: middle class white with no empathy or compassion for anybody else

quit making excuses and own up that you're the real problem

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Maybe the culture should adjust so that voting buys you your right to an opinion/complaint about whoever takes power.

No vote, no bitching.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's a real catch 22. If you allow laptops in the cabin, ISIS boogeymen will blow up the plane. If you put them in the hold, a lovely Chinese battery could catch fire and also bring the plane down.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

theres a will theres moe posted:

Maybe the culture should adjust so that voting buys you your right to an opinion/complaint about whoever takes power.

No vote, no bitching.

Most of the country outside of 10 or so states essentially gets no vote on the presidential election.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
is sunday the bad idea and bad topics of conversation day with little actual thoughtful input or what

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Meme Emulator posted:

How can a decision be bad but also logical?

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
When I moved to TN from CA I had to drop $20 on a TN license to vote because I didn't have a passport and my valid CA driver's license was not an acceptable form of ID. In CA I could just use my student ID to vote.

We literally still have poll taxes here and you stupid fucks are blaming your average American for not being motivated enough or too stupid or whatever makes you feel better about yourself and your country.

How do people not get this? It's not a Democracy. Americans aren't lesser people because our political system is hosed up. Get over yourselves.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Another CT goon here, seems like there's a lot of us in this thread. Do you remember how we had same day voter registration in our state? People were still registering past the point that they would be able to do that and still be able to vote in that election. That was Hartford. In my town, my fiance and I voted in 5 minutes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
No one's blaming the people who are systematically disenfranchised for not voting, just the people who could and chose not to.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

PT6A posted:

No one's blaming the people who are systematically disenfranchised for not voting, just the people who could and chose not to.

got it in one

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Nothus posted:

It's a real catch 22. If you allow laptops in the cabin, ISIS boogeymen will blow up the plane. If you put them in the hold, a lovely Chinese battery could catch fire and also bring the plane down.

I would pay a few extra hundos to an international carrier that let you arrange ahead of time to rent wifi time and a laptop that's been super confirmed to not be a bomb for the duration of the flight if they banned laptops.

hell I would be interested in this service now, when I've flown to far flung places for vacation there's always that dilemma, bring the laptop to do stuff on the long-rear end flight and then lug it around for a week without touching it or just suffer through the flight and have lighter bags? I always pick the latter, so being able to use an actual laptop on a plane and then ditch it would be neato.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Meme Emulator posted:

Its cool how you are equating action with inaction in this post. Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself why its cool to dump 74% of Americans in the garbage can instead of saying anything actually of worth.

I didn't equate the two. The original post stating that >50% of Americans voted for or did not vote against Trump did.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Jesus, it's time for Microsoft to go all in on surface tablets. I only travel with mine and they won't be banned under this possible lovely ban.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Turtlicious posted:

Man it's dope af that German's are coming in here and telling us how we got the wrong guy into office and trying to laugh at us, like they're not still the supreme losers of the world that we all laugh at for having a gdp so low their children played with their money like building blocks.

The thing this signifies most is that we tended to learn from our problems. That time was really terrible and we understand why it happened and most of us do our best to prevent a relapse, while looking at the future.
But the USA acts differently. Trumps whole platform is based on reverting social and economical progress in a misguided attempt to return your country to an imaginary point in the past where America allegedly was great. Russia actually acts the exact same way with regard to their past. Nostalgia is not a good basis for a social economy. Especially if that was previously based on dying industries like coal.

Revertism is basically always bad since the country of the past usually doesn't fit with the global union anymore. We have to keep looking forward and progress from where we are. Sometimes there will be errors, but resetting anything to some sense of status quo will never work.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

nerdz posted:

Jesus, it's time for Microsoft to go all in on surface tablets. I only travel with mine and they won't be banned under this possible lovely ban.

The ban will likely be for any electronics bigger than a cell phone.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I would the interested in bringing my laptop through US Customs now anyway, and I think if it was a work trip I would be asked not to bring my work laptop. As a non-US citizen, you don't really have the option of refusing to give up your passwords. Similarly, I'll be cleaning my phone messages and setting up fake social media accounts

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

stone cold posted:

got it in one

And the problem is with how you want to define "could vote." The electoral college system itself functions as a form of voter suppression at this point, but even ignoring that you still have issues such as the election being held on a workday, voting places in many locations being inconvenient or busy, voter ID laws, and any number of other problems that might keep someone who is physically able to vote from actually voting. Apathy isn't some nebulous force that exists independent of all other factors, it's just the final straw that gets people to decide that voting isn't worth it.

But go ahead and continue to pretend that the unusually low turnout for US elections is because Americans are morally corrupt and not due to structural issues with our country. I'm sure that's going to be very productive.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

sean10mm posted:

What is this assumption based on?
The figures I'm using have about 137m ballots cast for the highest office out of an eligible population of 230m.

Who makes up these 93m people? Roughly 60m of them are nonhispanic white citizens. Racially, this is the segment least likely to be impacted by voter suppression. Disenfranchisement and suppression efforts are most likely to fall upon minority citizens and most frequently target black voters. We know that turnout fell for this segment, and that it fell most heavily in states that instituted more restrictive voting laws.

This is unconscionable. But even assuming that all ~30m of Hispanic Voter/Non-Hispanic Black Voter/Uncategorized Voters who failed to vote did so because their vote was suppressed (which isn't backed up by the figures of any prior cycle), the fact would remain that the overwhelming majority of the country either voted for Trump or did nothing to stop his election. This holds true even if (for the sake of napkin math) we assume that all of the more than 3m disenfranchised felons fall into this category as well (they are not included in the 230m number above).

Instead, trashpeople decide that the "rigged system" means they shouldn't exercise the franchise that American heroes have been jailed, raped, and lynched for trying to secure. That's loving disgusting enough on its own. That comparisons to the systematic disenfranchisement of minority voters are used to minimize white apathy is even more nauseating, especially given that white apathy in 2010 is what created the environment for the expanded suppression.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Coincides quite nicely with a whole lot of airlines starting to spin up streaming in flight entertainment and eliminating costly and maintenance intensive built in stuff.

This is just the stupidest thing.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Coincides quite nicely with a whole lot of airlines starting to spin up streaming in flight entertainment and eliminating costly and maintenance intensive built in stuff.

This is just the stupidest thing.

It's better than dying because a terrorist brought on what passed for a laptop.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nobody is owed your vote. people get tired of having to choose the lesser of two evils.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

And the problem is with how you want to define "could vote." The electoral college system itself functions as a form of voter suppression at this point, but even ignoring that you still have issues such as the election being held on a workday, voting places in many locations being inconvenient or busy, voter ID laws, and any number of other problems that might keep someone who is physically able to vote from actually voting. Apathy isn't some nebulous force that exists independent of all other factors, it's just the final straw that gets people to decide that voting isn't worth it.

But go ahead and continue to pretend that the unusually low turnout for US elections is because Americans are morally corrupt and not due to structural issues with our country. I'm sure that's going to be very productive.

all of those are factors in suppression dumbass

or again, since you can seem to read, dear

PT6A posted:

but please tell me more about how people who had the time who chose to stay home because her emails or "the man" weren't culpable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
If the US was a democracy, then the presidency and the House of Representatives would both be controlled by the Democratic Party since they had the most votes cast for them. Thanks to the EC, gerrymandering and voter suppression it's not, though.

• Locked thread