Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dropped out and now im unemployable i guess .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Fundamentals good
Practicals better
Both best

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

don't do this

you have a better idea for output that needs to be piped in to excel or whatever?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I went to school but know 0 algorithms

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

UnfurledSails posted:

i didnt appreciate the cs education i had until i came in contact with devs who didnt have it in the real world

:same:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
they taught basic sql in one of the classes in my accounting program. havent touched it since but seems like it could be very good to know

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ShadowHawk posted:

Never took a CS class. Frequently don't know some algorithm that "any freshman would".

Working in this industry anyway, doing useful work and getting paid.

why the gently caress is ignorance a point of pride?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

Working in this industry... doing useful work

Nice!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

carry on then posted:

lol at u

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

carry on then posted:

it's ok, this helps us filter. just smile and nod and quietly move to "do not hire" pile

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
*writes o(n^3) algorithm during interview*

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

*writes o(n^3) algorithm during interview*

I keep hearing stories like this but I can't even imagine how you get worse answers

I've not interviewed that many people though

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
it's actually an interview strategy that many companies will even suggest you use. instead of standing there thinking silently about the problem, trying to come up with a perfect solution, just start prototyping a brute force algorithm immediately and get something on the whiteboard so the interviewer knows you can code and doesn't doze off. then you'll have his attention as he points out the complexity and you get to demonstrate that you know how to optimize too

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

carry on then posted:

lol at credentialism

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

JewKiller 3000 posted:

it's actually an interview strategy that many companies will even suggest you use. instead of standing there thinking silently about the problem, trying to come up with a perfect solution, just start prototyping a brute force algorithm immediately and get something on the whiteboard so the interviewer knows you can code and doesn't doze off. then you'll have his attention as he points out the complexity and you get to demonstrate that you know how to optimize too

This is what I always recommend to people. Plus as the interviewee you take the pressure off by at least getting down SOME kind of solution. Then you can think about the problems with it and it will probably naturally lead to a faster solution

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

JewKiller 3000 posted:

this is pretty much how it works on the real world, does anyone remember that one guy at CoC saying that for a given problem he needed weeks to medidate on the problem before even starting to write down the architecture of the code and then finally coding something?

gently caress people like that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Symbolic Butt posted:

this is pretty much how it works on the real world, does anyone remember that one guy at CoC saying that for a given problem he needed weeks to medidate on the problem before even starting to write down the architecture of the code and then finally coding something?

Haha what the ef

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dont see a college degree as proof of intelligence but it's basically a requirement for anything these days and buying into the people who say "i don't have one and look where i am now" is just getting suckered into the short end of the stick in a prisoners dilemma

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
here's the secret about everyone who succeeds in tech without a degree: they're all white :ssh:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JewKiller 3000 posted:

here's the secret about everyone who succeeds in tech without a degree: they're all white :ssh:

hosed up if true

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i think they're all sociopath hucksters

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

hifi posted:

i think they're all sociopath hucksters

that's what i said

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Symbolic Butt posted:

lol at credentialism

that's not what i was talking about and you know it

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

if you read the tips about getting a job without a degree they're all various forms of lying on your resume

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

JewKiller 3000 posted:

and male :getin:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

on the other hand interview training for whiteboarding is basically learning how to stall for time artfully. dont' know? just start writing down the problem on the whiteboard

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Symbolic Butt posted:

lol at credentialism

Knowing algorithms for a programming job: credentialism

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

carry on then posted:

that's not what i was talking about and you know it

yolo

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

jre posted:

Knowing algorithms for a programming job: credentialism

having a degree is what gets you in the door though

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

it's okay if you don't know theory but don't act like you're better than other people because you don't

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

hifi posted:

having a degree is what gets you in the door though

For entry level stuff, if you've got experience at decent companies and are a white male no-one really cares that much

While I agree there are loads of absolutely useless garbage people with CS degrees, and many computer toucher jobs really don't need them because you don't need to understand algorithmic complexity to poo poo out a website in the JS framework of the week. If you want to advance to working on more interesting back end stuff not having the degree means you have big knowledge gaps that put you at a disadvantage which are hard to fill when working.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

JewKiller 3000 posted:

you should discuss the brute force solution and point out why it's flawed. then you can discuss ways to mitigate that problem. then start writing.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

carry on then posted:

it's okay if you don't know theory but don't act like you're better than other people because you don't

I'm a weird case, I don't have a degree (failed math major) but I feel like I got way more solid theory compared to my peers. Mostly from doing online courses like algorithms on coursera. But those rarely helped me much in practice other than boosting my ego.

And then I think about the 3 best programmers that I worked with and they don't have a degree or really much of a solid background. And they're still way above me and anyone else I met. That's my anecdotal experience and why I'm behind forums user Shadowhawk on this, thanks for reading.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

most toy problems I've seen have a brute force at O(n^2) and a "good" solution at something like O(nlog(n)). in that context O(n^3) is impressive

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I've always started a question by verbally explaining the obvious brute force solution and giving its runtime & space complexities, and going "Okay, so I know I need to do better than that. Do you still want me to code it up on the board?" It's a nice mental warmup and clears any confusion you might have with the specifics of the question. Straight up coding the brute force solution might be waste of time and the interviewer can think you just commit to the first thing you think of

One interviewer once asked me a quite simple question, and I coded up 3 separate solutions, and even found a 4th one with a small hint. Then the rest of the interview was discussing the pros/cons of each solution and coming up with scenarios in which one would prefer one solution over the others. It was really fun

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

UnfurledSails posted:

I've always started a question by verbally explaining the obvious brute force solution and giving its runtime & space complexities, and going "Okay, so I know I need to do better than that. Do you still want me to code it up on the board?" It's a nice mental warmup and clears any confusion you might have with the specifics of the question. Straight up coding the brute force solution might be waste of time and the interviewer can think you just commit to the first thing you think of

One interviewer once asked me a quite simple question, and I coded up 3 separate solutions, and even found a 4th one with a small hint. Then the rest of the interview was discussing the pros/cons of each solution and coming up with scenarios in which one would prefer one solution over the others. It was really fun

A+, would hire (assuming your code is good)

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm a weird case, I don't have a degree (failed math major) but I feel like I got way more solid theory compared to my peers. Mostly from doing online courses like algorithms on coursera. But those rarely helped me much in practice other than boosting my ego.

And then I think about the 3 best programmers that I worked with and they don't have a degree or really much of a solid background. And they're still way above me and anyone else I met. That's my anecdotal experience and why I'm behind forums user Shadowhawk on this, thanks for reading.

well are they all white guys or not

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its almost like - and hear me out, here - when you're screening totally unknown candidates, and you gotta go through a lot of them, you look for good signals too pick up on, and completing a degree in the thing you're hiring for has proven to be a decent signal? but it can still have noise, so it isnt perfect,

sorry, sorry, i dont know, just guessing

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

AWWNAW posted:

well are they all white guys or not

one of them is not white :shobon:

Bloody posted:

its almost like - and hear me out, here - when you're screening totally unknown candidates, and you gotta go through a lot of them, you look for good signals too pick up on, and completing a degree in the thing you're hiring for has proven to be a decent signal? but it can still have noise, so it isnt perfect,

sorry, sorry, i dont know, just guessing

I've been so disappointed working with recently graduated people lately that I feel like some clueless 15 year old kid excited about computers would help me out just as much.

and like at least a 15yo would be excited idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

UnfurledSails posted:

one of the worst interviews I had was with facebook. the guy was the final interview for the first round before they'd decide to fly me out and he let me write up a full solution as i was explaining all of my decisions and tradeoffs every step of the way. finally get to the end of it and he tells me that my solution was wrong and it was because i'd misinterpreted one of his requirements to the problem. he could have stopped me in the first minute as i was laying out my plan but nah. wasn't apologetic at all and acted like i was a dumbass for even misinterpreting his prompt in the first place. he then said 'you should have studied harder for this' which seemed like i hadn't memorized enough CtCI problems. gently caress that

pretty sure he wasn't even paying attention

• Locked thread