Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Google Butt posted:

How do we stop a second trump term, any ideas?

i do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUs9CoKsnJQ&t=38s

drat two snipes out of three. for my friends, a classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

This memorial day, please take the time to remember that people died for the cause of liberty and not "America" and said liberty is currently under threat as long as people who dont actually believe in law and order are running the executive.

Post your strategies for stopping Trump in 2018, remember that if we take the house, we can at least stop the bleeding.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If the french can vote for a lovely right-winger over a fascist, why can't americans?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

you could start by

loving

VOTING

also this

and groovelord, be a dear, and make sure maybe to write on your hand or pin a note you can check that is like "DO NOT VOTE FOR: Trump, ¡Jeb!, (yanno whoevers real terrible who's running)"

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Google Butt posted:

Gotcha, so yelling at people on the internet.

You're the worse of two idiots in this cripple fight, fwiw

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Reaches for list stove
"You probably shouldn't do that"
Grabs stove anyway

"You didn't convince enough. Clearly I am free of all culpability relating to the fallout of this decision."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

stone cold posted:

and groovelord, be a dear, and make sure maybe to write on your hand or pin a note you can check that is like "DO NOT VOTE FOR: Trump, ¡Jeb!, (yanno whoevers real terrible who's running)"

i would've voted for satan himself if he ran against donald trump.

i also live in one of those states where the democrats don't need my help in presidential elections.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

stone cold posted:

also this

Do you have any practical suggestions how we can help ensure that we regain the house in 2018?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Andrast posted:

If the french can vote for a lovely right-winger over a fascist, why can't americans?

That's... what they actually did? Clinton won the popular vote, which in a real democracy is what decides these things. Unfortunately, the US isn't a democracy, it's a legal fudge cooked up by late 18th century alcoholics.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

RuanGacho posted:

This memorial day, please take the time to remember that people died for the cause of liberty and not "America" and said liberty is currently under threat as long as people who dont actually believe in law and order are running the executive.

Post your strategies for stopping Trump in 2018, remember that if we take the house, we can at least stop the bleeding.

Key things: make sure to vote in midterms

Now if you're already bare minimum doing that, make sure to knock on doors

volunteer for your local peeps

if you're passionate about a progressive candidate get out there and help in their primary campaign

if you can't give money give time and vice versa

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

RuanGacho posted:

A fair number of them died for oil.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

what would a popular vote margin of say, 8mil instead of 3mil look like today, assuming trump still won the EC

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sean10mm posted:

That's... what they actually did? Clinton won the popular vote, which in a real democracy is what decides these things. Unfortunately, the US isn't a democracy, it's a legal fudge cooked up by late 18th century alcoholics.

If two thirds of the voters had voted for Clinton like they did for Macron, Clinton would have won.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Groovelord Neato posted:

i would've voted for satan himself if he ran against donald trump.

i also live in one of those states where the democrats don't need my help in presidential elections.

To be fair, One is given pause to realize satan advocates the persuit of happiness which some GOP voters seem to actively not want people to have.

TheScott2K posted:

A fair number of them died for oil.

I think we actually had to get said oil for that to be true.

More accurate to say modern soldiers died for nothing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

also satan only punishes the wicked.

sean10mm posted:

it's theoretically possible to capture something like 20 percent of the popular vote and still with the ec lmao. what a great system. thanks slaveowners.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

oh also, if you're kind of far from the swing of things

phone bank

phone bank like a motherfucker

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Our electoral system will always be the lesser of two evils, even if it were not as stupid as it currently is.

Like, imagine 5 candidates from a multiple parties (for sake of argument, let's say two Democrats, two Republicans, and one Independent or other party.) Everybody picks the one they like the most, and the two highest vote totals go on to the next round. The two with the highest popular vote go on to round two.

If you voted for Candidate A, but only Candidate C and D go on to round 2, do you just say gently caress it and don't bother? The final round will always alienate those who voted in the first round, it's literally unavoidable. This past election made that kind of thing super obvious because of the relative closeness of the primaries. Consider too that after the first Obama primaries there were lots of people who were considering staying home because they wanted Hilary, and the general feeling around here and elsewhere was that those people were crybabies.

"I wish Bernie had won" is a valid sentiment. "I think Hilary was a poo poo candidate", is a valid sentiment. "I never want to vote for anyone who isn't my favorite candidate" is stupid and literally impossible in any modern voting system.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Google Butt posted:

Hey how about instead of rolling in here and acting like a angry weirdo, you propose something that might help fix the issue you're talking about.

Blackwomen, hysterical, am I right? Can you even imagine, being mean to someone with a lovely opinion on a comedy forum?

The people who didn't vote are responsible for not voting against Donald Trump. Stone Cold was right-the best thing that we can say about those people is that they didn't vote for Trump. "Didn't vote for a racist shithead who has confessed to serial sexual assaults" doesn't qualify someone for respect, dignity, or declarations of decency.

"Was able to vote against a racist shitead who has confessed to serial sexual assaults, but chose not to" does qualify someone for mockery and being labelled as a piece of poo poo. Because they're mockable pieces of poo poo.

Paradoxish posted:

How many of those 80m Americans lived in states whose electors voted for Hillary Clinton? What are the racial and income breakdowns of those voters?

Look, if you want to talk about the importance of voting for local elections and house/senate seats then fine, but if we're talking about the presidency then you have a pile of hurdles to jump over if you want to seriously claim that people who don't vote are responsible for Donald Trump sitting in the oval office.

edit- Ignoring, of course, people who stayed home in states that went for Trump by narrow margins. But that's kind of the point: there's more nuance here than you're willing to admit.

For reference: In states where the margin of victory was less than 10% in either direction-nearly 39m people failed to vote, or about 38% of the eligible electorate. This is slightly better than the national average. If you have anything to back up the idea that the majority of the 39m were actively suppressed, I'd love to see it. No offense, but I'm not going to take it on faith that your ~feelings~ are a better indicator than the data and analysis I've posted ITT

e: whooooooops

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 28, 2017

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

sean10mm posted:

The electoral college loss is still on the Clinton campaign. The election rules did not change between the campaign and voting. Many democracies use systems that do not proportionally allocate seats or votes based on popular vote. The fact that the electoral college is a poor system is not relevant when everyone was competing for votes within the same framework.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mendrian posted:

Our electoral system will always be the lesser of two evils, even if it were not as stupid as it currently is.

Like, imagine 5 candidates from a multiple parties (for sake of argument, let's say two Democrats, two Republicans, and one Independent or other party.) Everybody picks the one they like the most, and the two highest vote totals go on to the next round. The two with the highest popular vote go on to round two.

If you voted for Candidate A, but only Candidate C and D go on to round 2, do you just say gently caress it and don't bother? The final round will always alienate those who voted in the first round, it's literally unavoidable. This past election made that kind of thing super obvious because of the relative closeness of the primaries. Consider too that after the first Obama primaries there were lots of people who were considering staying home because they wanted Hilary, and the general feeling around here and elsewhere was that those people were crybabies.

"I wish Bernie had won" is a valid sentiment. "I think Hilary was a poo poo candidate", is a valid sentiment. "I never want to vote for anyone who isn't my favorite candidate" is stupid and literally impossible in any modern voting system.

Just do ranked choice voting rather than multiple voting rounds. That way each person can vote for whoever they like once and that's it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

stone cold posted:

oh also, if you're kind of far from the swing of things

phone bank

phone bank like a motherfucker

Thanks, that's a more realistic for those that work 40-50 hours a week. I appreciate that.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Gil_Hoffman/status/868876351301980160

Might be a thing?

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/868876523977224192
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/868875047720689664

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Filthy Hans posted:

Me too, I thought he was one of the few cable talking heads who actually knew what he was talking about, and then he committed career suicide and I don't even have a shred of empathy for his fall from grace

Did he do something other than the aforementioned quote? I didn't really pay attention to him after that.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Paracaidas posted:

Black women, hysterical, am I right? Can you even imagine, being mean to someone with a lovely opinion on a comedy forum?

The people who didn't vote are responsible for not voting against Donald Trump. Stone Cold was right-the best thing that we can say about those people is that they didn't vote for Trump. "Didn't vote for a racist shithead who has confessed to serial sexual assaults" doesn't qualify someone for respect, dignity, or declarations of decency.

"Was able to vote against a racist shitead who has confessed to serial sexual assaults, but chose not to" does qualify someone for mockery and being labelled as a piece of poo poo. Because they're mockable pieces of poo poo.

For reference: In states where the margin of victory was less than 10% in either direction-nearly 39m people failed to vote, or about 38% of the eligible electorate. This is slightly better than the national average. If you have anything to back up the idea that the majority of the 39m were actively suppressed, I'd love to see it. No offense, but I'm not going to take it on faith that your ~feelings~ are a better indicator than the data and analysis I've posted ITT

Oh gosh paracaidas

I think you may have me mistaken for tb

I'm not black, I'm the one who's wasian

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Are we sure he's not an Islamic extremist? Because he's suicide-bombing every relationship the US had.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

Just do ranked choice voting rather than multiple voting rounds. That way each person can vote for whoever they like once and that's it.

Ranked choice voting ensures centrist parties disproportionately gain power.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

Angela Merkel says Germany can no longer rely on Donald Trump's America: 'We Europeans must take our destiny into our own hands'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...d=facebook-post

Save us, Angela

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Groovelord Neato posted:

also satan only punishes the wicked.

it's theoretically possible to capture something like 20 percent of the popular vote and still with the ec lmao. what a great system. thanks slaveowners.

According to Wikipedia's source, there is a path to an EC victory with 22% of the popular vote. You'd have to completely unend the current red state/blue state situation to do it, though.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Google Butt posted:

Thanks, that's a more realistic for those that work 40-50 hours a week. I appreciate that.

I got home from work and remote phone banked during the campaign for an hour a night

It's actually kind of neat, you just have your script and go from there, and it's really rewarding when some people don't just hang up but stop to engage with you

e: and I mean, if you can't give time, give money, and vice versa

if you can't give either, I'm not necessarily sure what tips I can give to become an activist or a volunteer because it necessarily requires something, yanno

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

flashman posted:

The electoral college loss is still on the Clinton campaign. The election rules did not change between the campaign and voting. Many democracies use systems that do not proportionally allocate seats or votes based on popular vote. The fact that the electoral college is a poor system is not relevant when everyone was competing for votes within the same framework.

i am the stupidest motherfucker you will ever meet and even i can see that blaming the loss on hrc's campaign only is disingenuous as gently caress, if not horribly uninformed and indicative of either ignoring the other obvious, spotlit factors or outright malicious

hth

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

flashman posted:

That seems like a much better alternative to the current system. I don't see the issue here.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/868863456275034117

Enjoy your 20 hour flights trapped using the in-flight entertainment.

At least Netflix and Prime Video allow you to download to your phone.

What I find weird is there's no mention of batteries. I have a rather large Anker portable battery that's about the size of a laptop battery. Are they going to ban laptops, but allow phones and laptop battery sized phone chargers?

Also, most travel insurance doesn't cover laptops sent in checked luggage, so if your laptop gets pilfered you're hosed :/

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

skylined! posted:

i am the stupidest motherfucker you will ever meet and even i can see that blaming the loss on hrc's campaign only is disingenuous as gently caress, if not horribly uninformed and indicative of either ignoring the other obvious, spotlit factors or outright malicious

hth

https://www.amazon.com/Shattered-Inside-Hillary-Clintons-Campaign/dp/0553447084

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Paracaidas posted:

What, exactly, do you think it is that I'm arguing here?

The only point that I've been making consistently is that the number of non-voters who could have meaningfully influenced the presidential election is fairly small, and as far as I can tell you aren't saying anything that disputes that. If 39m people stayed home in states with close margins, how many of those people were in states that voted for Hillary Clinton? Because people who failed to vote in those states at worst did no harm and at best actively helped Clinton. I'm disputing the idea that a majority of Americans contributed to Trump's victory and nothing else.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

flashman posted:

I dont like to cut short the revolu...

Wait i just realized, i do want to cut short a revolution, because any system that allows full communism now to happen means we've paid a tremendous amount of human suffering for radical immediate change.

So feature, not a bug. You just need to make sure theres something far enough left that the center is accaptable. Better than the slave states amplified voice there is now.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Mendrian posted:

"I never want to vote for anyone who isn't my favorite candidate" is stupid and literally impossible in any modern voting system.

Not true. Look at the election for Bavarian parliament . It allows exactly that.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

skylined! posted:

hth

The Democrats faced Donald Trump in an election and lost. If they want to shirk some blame to Comey and the emails or a media overly generous to trump or racism or whatever that's their prerogative, but the party is not going advance using these factors as crutches.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

stone cold posted:

I got home from work and remote phone banked during the campaign for an hour a night

It's actually kind of neat, you just have your script and go from there, and it's really rewarding when some people don't just hang up but stop to engage with you

I did that for some middle school grants when I was a kid and it was a rewarding experience. It's probably safe to say that people are more conscious of politics now than before the election, dems should be putting out ads or something that describe different ways to help from home. Stress that it's actually personally rewarding, maybe.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

With a proportional system like the nordics have you can in fact vote for you favorite candidate.

Of course that doesn't work in presidential elections but presidential systems are poo poo anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

RuanGacho posted:

I dont like to cut short the revolu...

Wait i just realized, i do want to cut short a revolution, because any system that allows full communism now to happen means we've paid a tremendous amount of human suffering for radical immediate change.

So feature, not a bug. You just need to make sure theres something far enough left that the center is accaptable. Better than the slave states amplified voice there is now.

Yeah best to quash these revolutionary ideas like "healthcare for everyone" or "a living working wage". The status quo is garbage and a system that will facilitate it is as well.

• Locked thread