Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fartbox posted:

I don't think I understand what you're trying to say

I thought you said that gore got even worse after soldier of fortune, but I personally saw a stark decline in the industry soon after

You said that gore peaked with SoF.

I'm saying that gore has gotten more extreme since then and thus hasn't peaked with SoF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

I was just about to post a shadow warrior 2 gif.

IMO shadow warrior > Doom

http://i.imgur.com/kUwsa4X.mp4

Shadow Warrior 2 is great but I don't think it's better than DOOM simply because of it's retarded loot and gem system which made the game a lot less fun for me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it was a game like 100% about physics tossing poo poo around and ragdolls were more tossable than gibs, i don't think "family friendly" was the major consideration in a game that has you go cutting skinless bug head dudes in half with giant sawblades
Point
Deep. Meaningful. Narrative.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Gore peaked at the time, then as i said, with games like Half life 2, Halo and Doom 3, you got basically zero gore instead. Then, as i said, nowadays we're getting back to extreme gore again with games like Doom

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Point

Deep. Meaningful. Narrative.

Not that I hold Bioshock Infinite's narrative in high regard but good narrative and gore aren't mutually exclusive.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That was more to Bioshock fans

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

Shadow Warrior 2 is great but I don't think it's better than DOOM simply because of it's retarded loot and gem system which made the game a lot less fun for me.

Personally I thought it got really tedious. It was like playing a single player MMO. You just ran around the same looking places killing various versions of the same monster for loot. I think at some point I couldn't do certain content because my level wasn't high enough or something. I gave up and didn't finish it eventually. Maybe it was more fun in coop?

It wasn't even in the same league as DOOM imo, in fact I enjoyed the trashy old original Shadow Warrior better

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fartbox posted:

Gore peaked at the time, then as i said, with games like Half life 2, Halo and Doom 3, you got basically zero gore instead. Then, as i said, nowadays we're getting back to extreme gore again with games like Doom

Punisher came out same year as Half-Life 2 and Doom 3.
Prey came out 2 years after.
Gears of War, 2 years after.
Manhunt 2, 3 years after.
Dead Space 1, 4 years after.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Manhunt & Punisher werent even fps but both of them got a lot of attention for how ridiculous their violence was

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

punisher was a good enough game that i kinda remember it like 15 years later

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Jack Trades posted:

Is that when you stopped playing video games? Because I bet you I can name a gorier game for every year past whenever Soldier of Fortune came out.

I bet you can name games with more blood and meat chunks than Soldier of Fortune (2, which was the true king of gore) but I bet you can't name games that have more dynamic gore than SoF2. You could shoot out like 6 individual parts of enemies heads and faces.

Jack Trades posted:

Punisher came out same year as Half-Life 2 and Doom 3.
Prey came out 2 years after.
Gears of War, 2 years after.
Manhunt 2, 3 years after.
Dead Space 1, 4 years after.

See? None of that stuff is the same level of gore that SoF2 had; it's all animated push-button stuff. Some of those were cool games, don't get me wrong, but none of them have the immediacy of shooting parts of peoples skulls out with an M16.

I know it's ghoulish, but we've got all this crazy pixel shader, physics-driven animation going on with games these days, why can't somebody make a game where shooting somebody in the head with a shotgun gets some horrific results?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tumble posted:

I bet you can name games with more blood and meat chunks than Soldier of Fortune (2, which was the true king of gore) but I bet you can't name games that have more dynamic gore than SoF2. You could shoot out like 6 individual parts of enemies heads and faces.

I already did.

Jack Trades posted:

Have you played Shadow Warrior 2? It splits enemies into gory chunks dynamically depending on how exactly you sliced them up with your sword and you can keep hacking them apart even after they're dead.

In fact there are a whole bunch of games that do a lot of similar things way better than SoF thanks to modern technology.
Killing Floor 2 even uses NVIDIA's Soft Body tech to simulate accurate meat chunk and blood liquids physics.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fartbox posted:

Manhunt & Punisher werent even fps but both of them got a lot of attention for how ridiculous their violence was

You didn't specify that it had to be FPS games.
Still as you can see, games with gore haven't disappeared anywhere after Soldier of Fortune.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

You didn't specify that it had to be FPS games.
Still as you can see, games with gore haven't disappeared anywhere after Soldier of Fortune.

Nobody meant gore went away entirely, we just meant that it peaked with Soldier of Fortune and nobody bothered to try doing it that detailed again, despite that fact that now games have insanely detailed physics for everything else. And it's not like games have become any less focused on shooting people so damnit, why can't we carve some dudes skulls up with shotguns?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i'm sure there are some niche high end surgery simulators out there that could provide exactly what you need

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Studios might've toned it down when "mature" games started becoming mainstream. Doom let you hacksaw some Imps but back then it was still more of a niche, nerd thing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tumble posted:

Nobody meant gore went away entirely

Fartbox said that games of Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 era were gore-free.

Tumble posted:

we just meant that it peaked with Soldier of Fortune and nobody bothered to try doing it that detailed again, despite that fact that now games have insanely detailed physics for everything else. And it's not like games have become any less focused on shooting people so damnit, why can't we carve some dudes skulls up with shotguns?

Please continue ignoring two very specific examples I gave two posts up.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Left 4 dead 1 and 2 had pretty satisfying gore too

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Studios might've toned it down when "mature" games started becoming mainstream. Doom let you hacksaw some Imps but back then it was still more of a niche, nerd thing.

I think that's what happened. Although GTAV let's you stab innocent civilians to death in first person so I think we're poised to see some hardcore violence come back soon.

Jack Trades posted:

Please continue ignoring two very specific examples I gave two posts up.

I saw them, and I'm probably going to check out Shadow Warrior 2 soon because it sounds fun.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 28, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tumble posted:

I think that's what happened. Although GTAV let's you stab innocent civilians to death in first person so I think we're poised to see some hardcore violence come back soon.

"Come back"? Games that let you brutalize fellow humans never went anywhere in the first place.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I think someone should make a VR game where your job is to raise some pigs, then slaughter those pigs, butcher them properly and then make their internal organs into sausages and pates other products, and then using the money to continually improve the efficiency of your pig breeding and slaughtering processes, all of which you oversee in intricate graphic detail. deluxe edition comes with a device that you plug into a wall socket (with companion app) that generates appropriate pork farm smells synced to your gameplay

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
Postal 2 had pretty awesome gore, you could make people throw up and then cut off their heads as they were throwing up so their neck becomes this spout of vomit splattering everywhere, but especially after the expansion pack when you could hack off individual limbs while people were still alive, so you could reduce someone to a helpless torso writhing on the ground begging for mercy as you pee on them

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Fartbox posted:

Personally I thought it got really tedious. It was like playing a single player MMO. You just ran around the same looking places killing various versions of the same monster for loot. I think at some point I couldn't do certain content because my level wasn't high enough or something. I gave up and didn't finish it eventually. Maybe it was more fun in coop?

I think people get way too caught up on loot systems. I just keep the gun I want and every couple levels check if I have any better upgrades for them.

It's true you get a lot of poo poo thrown at you but you don't have obsessively go through your inventory every 5 mins if you don't want.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
the evolution of loot/inventory systems should have ended with the first Deus Ex. it's pointless to build on perfection.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

I think people get way too caught up on loot systems. I just keep the gun I want and every couple levels check if I have any better upgrades for them.
It's true you get a lot of poo poo thrown at you but you don't have obsessively go through your inventory every 5 mins if you don't want.

Geeeez! How ableistic of you. Way to minimize the struggles of the minority folks that suffer from OCD and the spergism.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

Now you're just being a retard

I said there was a decline in gore and specifically listed the flagship FPS games of the era and they were largely gore free. Then you listed some niche third person games as examples that ye, there was still gore. Of course there was gore but there was a lot less of it than in the early days of FPS games where pretty much everything from Duke Nukem to Half Life to Doom was ultraviolence

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Borderlands was a way better America simulator than this game is going to be, unfortunately

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Junk posted:

the evolution of loot/inventory systems should have ended with the first Deus Ex. it's pointless to build on perfection.

Truth. Deus Ex was perfect in almost every way.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Fartbox posted:

I said there was a decline in gore and specifically listed the flagship FPS games of the era and they were largely gore free. Then you listed some niche third person games as examples that ye, there was still gore. Of course there was gore but there was a lot less of it than in the early days of FPS games where pretty much everything from Duke Nukem to Half Life to Doom was ultraviolence

Yea, as soon as rag-dolls hit the scene you were lucky if you even got wound decals applied to bodies.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fartbox posted:

Do you have the short-term memory of a goldfish or something?

Fartbox posted:

Gore was peaking in games around soldier of fortune, which got a lot of controversy about it, but then we had a complete shift for a while, to games with almost no gore.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Half-life 2 let you cut people in half so uhh

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

it let you cut zombies in half, all humans were intact afaik

quote:

Do you have the short-term memory of a goldfish or something?

it's like talking to a wall

I listed the games as examples. There was a HUGE shift in the fps genre around that time

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fartbox posted:

The feeling is mutual.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I don't understand the appeal of gore in most video games. It's cool in games like Dead Space where it's actually a part of the gameplay, but most of the time it's just dumb and kind of creepy.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Half-life 2 let you cut people in half so uhh

Just the zombie guys (IIRC) and it wasn't that dynamic. You could hit them below the knees and they'd split at the waist.

again, we're not saying that games have never been gory since then, we're saying that with a few exceptions, no games have really matched the dynamic violence of SoF2 despite the technology being easily available.

Especially games where you shoot people rather than zombies or demons

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I remember liking ragdolls over gore as a kid, stabbing people into bloody chunks in Deus Ex and Unreal was funny for a while but I remember HL2 and Halo 2s ragdolls blowing me away.

Also Spider-Man 2, throwing people off the empire State building yet somehow they survive is almost funnier than them blowing up into gibs.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tumble posted:

Just the zombie guys (IIRC) and it wasn't that dynamic. You could hit them below the knees and they'd split at the waist.

again, we're not saying that games have never been gory since then, we're saying that with a few exceptions, no games have really matched the dynamic violence of SoF2 despite the technology being easily available.

Killing Floor 2 and Shadow Warrior 2.
Killing Floor 2 even has accurate physical simulation of flesh chunks wobbling around as they fly through the air, and blood spraying and pooling around.
Shadow Warrior 2 has dynamic dismemberment based on exact angle you hack enemies at. Kinda like Metal Gear Rising but way more gory.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

I don't understand the appeal of gore in most video games. It's cool in games like Dead Space where it's actually a part of the gameplay, but most of the time it's just dumb and kind of creepy.

You're still reading and posting in a thread about a first-person shooter game though, so don't act like you're not on board with shooting people to death in a video game and talking about it online

Fartbox posted:

it let you cut zombies in half, all humans were intact afaik

I listed the games as examples. There was a HUGE shift in the fps genre around that time

there totally was a huge shift then, and I'm glad you get what I'm talking about here.

I want to see what a AAA game along the lines of Far Cry or GTA would look today like if they applied even 10% of the effort that was applied to SoF2s gore. I bet that poo poo would be borderline disturbing.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Killing Floor 2 and Shadow Warrior 2.
Killing Floor 2 even has accurate physical simulation of flesh chunks wobbling around as they fly through the air, and blood spraying and pooling around.
Shadow Warrior 2 has dynamic dismemberment based on exact angle you hack enemies at. Kinda like Metal Gear Rising but way more gory.

I'll check out Shadow Warrior 2, I'm into what you're saying about it. I'm thinking about building a PC but I've heard great things about Killing Floor 2 as well, so if I end up doing that I'll check that out too.

a bone to pick posted:

I remember liking ragdolls over gore as a kid, stabbing people into bloody chunks in Deus Ex and Unreal was funny for a while but I remember HL2 and Halo 2s ragdolls blowing me away.

Also Spider-Man 2, throwing people off the empire State building yet somehow they survive is almost funnier than them blowing up into gibs.

even better than tossing them off, there was a move where you'd piledrive them the entire way down. then they'd shake it right off and walk away pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tumble posted:

You're still reading and posting in a thread about a first-person shooter game though, so don't act like you're not on board with shooting people to death in a video game and talking about it online

I enjoy playing shoot man video games because they're mechanically engaging, not because they're insanely gory and let me chop up people's bodies into tiny chunks. The FPS I have the most play time in doesn't even have blood spray.

• Locked thread