Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Even better, that was from a Photoshop Phriday thread here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Even better, that was from a Photoshop Phriday thread here...

Even betterer is that the 'mech in question is one of the Macross designs that FASA, or whoever has the rights these days, can't use anymore.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MH Knights posted:

Even betterer is that the 'mech in question is one of the Macross designs that FASA, or whoever has the rights these days, can't use anymore.
Specifically put into that picture because it's a reference to Star League General Alexandr Kerensky. The perfect storm.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

well why not posted:

A Nolan / Bay joint operation would probably kill the cinema discusso crowd outright.

It'd also be the most character-actor filled movie ever made.

I've never wanted anything more than this

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Empire Magazine article on The Last Knight suggests the movie is a combination of 3 Transformers stories the Writer's Room came up with: a continuation about the Creators from Age of Extinction, a Transformers in Camelot story by Black Hawk Down's Ken Nolan, and a WW2-based story by Iron Man's Art Marcum and Matt Holloway.

Next year's Bumblebee movie will be set in the 1980s and geared towards a younger audience.

Writers for the Ant-Man movie are working on an animated prequel set millions of years ago on Cybertron.

One planned movie is set in ancient Rome.

edit:
Michael Bay also said he has filmed his last Transformers movie scene in his Walk of Fame speech.

New TV spot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs7BR32Ct3s

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 27, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Internet critic Lindsay Ellis has started doing an analysis of the Transformers movies: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJGOq3JclTH8J73o2Z4VMaSYZDNG3xeZ7

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Alhazred posted:

Internet critic Lindsay Ellis has started doing an analysis of the Transformers movies: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJGOq3JclTH8J73o2Z4VMaSYZDNG3xeZ7

I find the idea that people can't remember the movies strange. Even when I saw the first one, I could place everything that happened in. The second one was a mess but that's more on account of the bizarre plot. I don't know if my brain is just able to comprehend Bay's frantic style more than most, or if it's just a regurgitated meme. I'm very curious to see the rest of her series.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm in the same boat. I hadn't seen either movie more than once, when they came out. I just recently re watched them all and was surprised how much I didn't remember about them, especially 2 and 4.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Milky Moor posted:

I find the idea that people can't remember the movies strange. Even when I saw the first one, I could place everything that happened in. The second one was a mess but that's more on account of the bizarre plot. I don't know if my brain is just able to comprehend Bay's frantic style more than most, or if it's just a regurgitated meme. I'm very curious to see the rest of her series.

I wondered about this too, but I'm certain she's doing this for a certain audience. These are common Transformers "hatewatching" memes.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It's part of the new wave of memetic criticism which sets out from the position of explaining why something is bad, rather than making a straightforward argument about why it's of critical interest.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yep. The assumed position is that criticism is only useful as a "takedown".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Be afraid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-VeHQymNR4

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I would say Plinkett was much more influential, CinemaSins was getting there a few years ago, but the Plinkett reviews endured.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They didn't age well though, and their recent Star Wars ones are basically the same old dudes moan about lost childhood poo poo with even less relevance to the movies they're supposedly reviewing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Well, they were never good in the first place. But they were undeniably an incredibly influential gateway to art criticism.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think people stop caring too much about Cinema Sins once they noticed the channel goes after pretty much every movie regardless if they are considered good or bad.

Most of RLM fans became fans because of Star Wars, but they might have lost a few once they gave negative criticisms to the last two post-Lucas movie.

Back to Transformers, Anthony Hopkins actually takes part in an action scene and also talks about Michael Bay again.

quote:

]"I had two American stunt drivers who were crazy," he told Men's Health magazine. "I had to sit in this kind of jet car. It was a low seat, hard to get into the drat thing. So they strap you in, you take a deep breath, here we go, and, 'Action!'

"And then there are these helicopters flying low, which is scary, and you're doing 80 miles through the Admiralty Arch (in London). Of course something could go wrong. You could get killed, I guess. But I come from the school of 'just get on with it.'"

[...]

The director has a reputation for being tough to work with but Anthony, 79, didn't find that to be the case.

"I've worked with some people who are impossible or incompetent; Michael is the opposite of that," he insisted. "He's not just competent, he's a kind of genius. Very prepared. He's impatient and irascible, but there's a great sense of humour in him."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Confusing "impatient and irascible" with "impossible or incompetent" is a pretty fitting summary of the reception of Bay's movies, too.

Also, "You could get killed, I guess." Love, that man!

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I only watch movies that are certified "fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

UmOk posted:

I only watch movies that are certified "fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes.

I have a family member who does this, and it's loving pathetic.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

RedSpider posted:

I have a family member who does this, and it's loving pathetic.

I was this guy when I was younger. I just watch whatever looks interesting now and never look at reviews.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I only watch movies that are rated "rotten."

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
These movies stink, whatever meaning you ascribe to them are easily contradicted by the movie itself. They represent a truly malevolent attempt to transform a (mostly) innocent if stupid and ignorrant cartoon about fighting for what's right, even if it isn't in your best interests.

The fact that the common complaints about them are shallow are no better than they deserve, but I do take issue with these films being 'mindless'. They serve as a response to all other versions of the franchise, because defending the rights of those less powerful than you is for pussies, a real man does what he pleases and uses violence to accomplish his goals, and if he doesn't get his own way he sulks and lashes out at those around him.

These lovely movies are repulsive on just about every level, politically, visually, loving SPIRTUALLY and acting like you are inteluctually surperior to people who refuse to engage with this SIN on even a surface level ignores that beneath the surface is even WORSE. If these films are made by intelligent filmakers, fully aware of what they are doing, than they are phenominally hateful people and if anything desrve a reputation for being insidiously ignorant and filled with hate, not stupid.

I could ignore ALL OF THAT if these pieces of poo poo at least had the loving desency to have cool robot fights, but no, even THOSE look like utter poo poo and are utterly inpossible to follow. Even of they were good they happen so rarely that it woulen't even matter.

I could ignore every stupid thing this subform has ever been responsible for, the female planes rant, defending the Star Wars prequels, THE OPPOSITE READING IS TRUE. But I can NOT loving listen to someone telling me these movies are good, or even interesting.

THEY loving SUCK, AND I HATE THEM. Robots are my favourite thing in the world, and these movies are an attack, an attack on me and everything I have ever loved. I would feel less insulted if Bay personally poo poo in my mouth.

I HATED IT, THE ROCK DID NOT RULE

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Are you okay?

Because The Rock totally rules.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Fsmhunk posted:

These movies stink, whatever meaning you ascribe to them are easily contradicted by the movie itself. They represent a truly malevolent attempt to transform a (mostly) innocent if stupid and ignorrant cartoon about fighting for what's right, even if it isn't in your best interests.

The fact that the common complaints about them are shallow are no better than they deserve, but I do take issue with these films being 'mindless'. They serve as a response to all other versions of the franchise, because defending the rights of those less powerful than you is for pussies, a real man does what he pleases and uses violence to accomplish his goals, and if he doesn't get his own way he sulks and lashes out at those around him.

These lovely movies are repulsive on just about every level, politically, visually, loving SPIRTUALLY and acting like you are inteluctually surperior to people who refuse to engage with this SIN on even a surface level ignores that beneath the surface is even WORSE. If these films are made by intelligent filmakers, fully aware of what they are doing, than they are phenominally hateful people and if anything desrve a reputation for being insidiously ignorant and filled with hate, not stupid.

I could ignore ALL OF THAT if these pieces of poo poo at least had the loving desency to have cool robot fights, but no, even THOSE look like utter poo poo and are utterly inpossible to follow. Even of they were good they happen so rarely that it woulen't even matter.

I could ignore every stupid thing this subform has ever been responsible for, the female planes rant, defending the Star Wars prequels, THE OPPOSITE READING IS TRUE. But I can NOT loving listen to someone telling me these movies are good, or even interesting.

THEY loving SUCK, AND I HATE THEM. Robots are my favourite thing in the world, and these movies are an attack, an attack on me and everything I have ever loved. I would feel less insulted if Bay personally poo poo in my mouth.

I thank you for your well planned and thoughtful criticism.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Fsmhunk posted:

the planes simply do not look like female planes should

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hat Thoughts posted:

the planes simply do not look like female planes should

lol drat I'd forgotten about that.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Fsmhunk posted:

this post is incredible

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Fsmhunk posted:

This post has convinced me of my folly.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fsmhunk posted:

My duuuuuuude, you need some good vibes coming from the star of Transformers Age of Extinction and The Last Knight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDB06Shv8zY
Man, the 1990s were so far away. Now Mark Wahlberg is an Oscar-nominated actor who play the father of teenagers and Optimus Primal actually won a Transformers fan vote after getting a $100 toy.

Or maybe you want his teenage The Last Knight costar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OueQjSyKCUA

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I might regret asking this but what is the female planes rant?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

I might regret asking this but what is the female planes rant?
Maybe this review?

quote:

The female planes are apparently designed by someone who has no idea what a female plane would look like. The idea of introducing gendered identities to normally non-gendered objects so often treats the familiar as inherently masculine. Female planes are painted hot pink and granted the enlarged, fluttery eyelashes so often used to distinguish women from men in lazily drawn cartoons. "Look at that propellor," declares Dusty and he gets a look at one of the ladyplanes' rear end. In one scene, the film even eroticises the tilting of wingflaps for a disturbingly long time. You could argue that it is a joke. I would argue that it enforces the idea of objectifying women to all the five-year-old boys in the audience by applying it to literal objects who have gender but no sex. Gotta start them off early, after all.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

quote:

possibly the most outrage i've ever seen concerning a hasbro property

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That rant was maybe a 6/10. It's no F-Zero Chapter 7 rant, that's for sure.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

This seems like...a pretty decent point, though? Like it's the opposite of the poo poo I'd expect from a 'female planes' rant.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Did the Transformers thread get it's own Tezzor?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Did the Transformers thread get it's own Tezzor?

Was thinking the same thing. I hope he posts more.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's no F-Zero Chapter 7 rant, that's for sure.

In fairness, very few things are.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

General Battuta posted:

This seems like...a pretty decent point, though? Like it's the opposite of the poo poo I'd expect from a 'female planes' rant.

The first sentence is pretty funny and baffling, though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Free promotional comic about a Transformer who transforms into a Schick Hydro razor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Saw a bunch of new posts, came in expecting new trailer details.

Got insanity instead.

I am fine with this, please continue.