Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

disjoe posted:

I'm a white guy who grew up in MS. I went to high school with a guy who grew up in MN, who moved to MS because his dad took a job. He was one of the most openly racist people I've known.

I asked him about it one time. He said it was because "we didn't have to deal with black people in Minnesota"

I'm not smart enough to draw any broad conclusions from that because I think racism is complicated. But what you wrote made me think of that.

I'm from MS too, so hello I guess.

The main source of despair in this thread seems to be that a lot of people are upset by the unfairness of the fact that the forces of good always have to work harder than the forces of evil to achieve the same results. Creation is always harder than destruction.

(No dog tax. Because nothing maters.)

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Holy poo poo this is awesome I want six seasons of this on Netflix please.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

booseek posted:

~66 million for Clinton, ~68.5 for Obama in 2012.

I think it was 6 million less than Obama 2008.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PT6A posted:

No one's blaming the people who are systematically disenfranchised for not voting, just the people who could and chose not to.

Except you, literally every single loving chance you get.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

disjoe posted:

I'm a white guy who grew up in MS. I went to high school with a guy who grew up in MN, who moved to MS because his dad took a job. He was one of the most openly racist people I've known.

I asked him about it one time. He said it was because "we didn't have to deal with black people in Minnesota"

I'm not smart enough to draw any broad conclusions from that because I think racism is complicated. But what you wrote made me think of that.

my mom's from minnesota. she didn't meet a black person (or a jew) until she was 20.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nope.

2008 Obama: 69,498,516

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

I'm from MS too, so hello I guess.

The main source of despair in this thread seems to be that a lot of people are upset by the unfairness of the fact that the forces of good always have to work harder than the forces of evil to achieve the same results. Creation is always harder than destruction.

Dr. Kent M. Keith posted:

The Paradoxical Commandments

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Obama received ~69.5m votes on 2008. Clinton received just under 66m.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Hey guy, you're the one harboring delusions that the United States is in fact not locked down by the right wing due in part to the very structure of our government at the foundational level. I'm merely stating that in the 100% fantasy scenario of the west coast and northeast splitting they would have more latitude than being trapped in a structure they would be powerless in.

Don't you think it's telling that so far all the plans people have been throwing around for unfucking the union hinge upon a decades long plan with a staggering amount of moving parts requiring an unprecedented level of peaceful political mobilization in a fractured and precarious environment, arguably the largest mass movement in history. You all know this is unlikely as gently caress.

Everything is hard. Civil Rights was hard. The Emancipation of Slaves was so hard it cost us a civil war and a president. Independence required fighting the British Empire.

Anyways, the first step to unfucking the country is to vote in local elections and midterms. That's not exactly a tall order if you aren't a minority being targeted by voter suppression.

So no, I don't think anything is telling. You just do it. Nothing good is easy, and this isn't some monumental task. We've fought these forces before, we can do it again.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Pardon my ignorance, minor thread necromancy, and the derail but could you explain this a bit? I know very little about Japanese politics.
Shinzo Abe, known among some of my bros in Japan as "That loving Goblin", is a well known denier of the crimes Japan has committed in the past, including (but certainly not limited to!) denying that the Rape of Nanking was a thing. Him and Shintaro Ishihara (former governor of Tokyo) are loving awful. Since I have a ton of friends living in Tokyo, Saitama and Chiba, I tend to keep up with Japanese politics.

e: Holy poo poo, this thread moves fast. But yeah, he's an Extreme (some will deny it, but he loving is) Right-Wing nutjob who would probably use "Yamato Damashii" the same way Trump used "Make America Great Again!" if he could get away with it.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 28, 2017

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

We don't even remember what our dreams are.

Written while sitting on a prostrated black man and shooting a native toddler in the chest with a flintlock pistol for kicks.

The dream of the United States was always for only the wealthy and white. Maybe we should build a new dream instead?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Wark Say posted:

Shinzo Abe, known among some of my bros in Japan as "That loving Goblin", is a well known denier of the crimes Japan has committed in the past, including (but certainly not limited to!) denying that the Rape of Nanking was a thing. Him and Shintaro Ishihara (former governor of Tokyo) are loving awful. Since I have a ton of friends living in Tokyo, Saitama and Chiba, I tend to keep up with Japanese politics.

e: Holy poo poo, this thread moves fast. But yeah, he's an Extreme (some will deny it, but he loving is) Right-Wing nutjob who would probably use "Yamato Damashii" the same way Trump used "Make America Great Again!" if he could get away with it.

He's a Rape of Nanking denier? Holy poo poo.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

The dream of the United States was always for only the wealthy and white. Maybe we should build a new dream instead?

Why? The old one is still selling so well

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Except you, literally every single loving chance you get.

I'm trying not to, but I admit I may have some blind spots.

There's obviously a huge movement to keep people from voting, both through legislative means like insane voter ID requirements and disenfranchising felons, and just by making it difficult to actually vote by restricting early voting, not setting up enough polling places, etc. Given the degree to which that is dangerous to any functioning democracy, the amount of effort that people are putting into fighting it, and the amount of effort (and lives) people put into guaranteeing the right to vote for everyone, it just frustrates me to see people who could easily vote, choose not to simply because they don't believe their vote will make a difference. That being said, I admit I was wrong to assume that someone who didn't vote didn't have a good reason why they didn't vote.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Written while sitting on a prostrated black man and shooting a native toddler in the chest with a flintlock pistol for kicks.

My current one involves UHC and every CEO hung from a lamppost

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Google Butt posted:

There's more than just that. Abe wants a real military (not an SDF) and to be allowed to have nuclear weapons. Dude is legit scary, and a lot of people in the US are blind to it because he acts modestly like he's in our corner against China.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Google Butt posted:

If I recall correctly he wants to remove references to this kind of stuff from Japanese public education, too.

Shinzo Abe is a fucker.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Everything is hard. Civil Rights was hard. The Emancipation of Slaves was so hard it cost us a civil war and a president. Independence required fighting the British Empire.

Anyways, the first step to unfucking the country is to vote in local elections and midterms. That's not exactly a tall order if you aren't a minority being targeted by voter suppression.

So no, I don't think anything is telling. You just do it. Nothing good is easy, and this isn't some monumental task. We've fought these forces before, we can do it again.

And the United States is still a right wing empire where communities are more segregated than before Jim Crow and if you haven't noticed the black folks just got locked into a different sort of slavery.

That your primary prescription is mindlessly contributing to the same system that generates these outcomes as a matter of policy speaks to a kind of poverty wrt political imagination. That you say it's all we have is kind of my point.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PT6A posted:

I'm trying not to, but I admit I may have some blind spots.

There's obviously a huge movement to keep people from voting, both through legislative means like insane voter ID requirements and disenfranchising felons, and just by making it difficult to actually vote by restricting early voting, not setting up enough polling places, etc. Given the degree to which that is dangerous to any functioning democracy, the amount of effort that people are putting into fighting it, and the amount of effort (and lives) people put into guaranteeing the right to vote for everyone, it just frustrates me to see people who could easily vote, choose not to simply because they don't believe their vote will make a difference. That being said, I admit I was wrong to assume that someone who didn't vote didn't have a good reason why they didn't vote.

Except, due to our electoral college there are a bunch of people who can logically say their vote is worthless.

Why begrudge someone not voting against Trump in California, Texas or New York? (Aka our most populous states)

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Except, due to our electoral college there are a bunch of people who can logically say their vote is worthless.

Why begrudge someone not voting against Trump in California, Texas or New York? (Aka our most populous states)

This would be from the vast store of people who don't vote for President but vote in every other election for every other office?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

And the United States is still a right wing empire where communities are more segregated than before Jim Crow and if you haven't noticed the black folks just got locked into a different sort of slavery.

That your primary prescription is mindlessly contributing to the same system that generates these outcomes as a matter of policy speaks to a kind of poverty wrt political imagination. That you say it's all we have is kind of my point.

Language is a limited medium and if we start tearing down ideals that are agnostic in their prescriptions for the greater good of all because someone worse than us said similar things at some point in history then we are left with nothing but nihilism and despair.

It is a big ask to devote yourself to more than your own personal continued existance and comfort.

The united states is an empire of cultural influence and our current executive leader is choosing to throw that away for wholly imagined reasons, as much as the threat of the american military casts a shadow over all world events i wont deny the rest of the world its agency because its much easier to be intelectually lazy and call the US empire.

We are not at the end of history.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Hey guy, you're the one harboring delusions that the United States is in fact not locked down by the right wing due in part to the very structure of our government at the foundational level. I'm merely stating that in the 100% fantasy scenario of the west coast and northeast splitting they would have more latitude than being trapped in a structure they would be powerless in.

Don't you think it's telling that so far all the plans people have been throwing around for unfucking the union hinge upon a decades long plan with a staggering amount of moving parts requiring an unprecedented level of peaceful political mobilization in a fractured and precarious environment, arguably the largest mass movement in history. You all know this is unlikely as gently caress.

Voting sometimes: a plan that is more complicated and with more moving parts then somehow managing to peacefully dismantle the world's largest economy.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Quorum posted:

Voting sometimes: a plan that is more complicated and with more moving parts then somehow managing to peacefully dismantle the world's largest economy.

The scale, consistency, and duration for that voting to unfuck the union is equal to that in terms of complexity, yes. Things are that bad.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

The scale, consistency, and duration for that voting to unfuck the union is equal to that in terms of complexity, yes. Things are that bad.

I disagree. Your perspective is myopic at best.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Quorum posted:

The machinery and planning needed to get people out to vote in force actually is horrendously complex, yes. And that's before you even start considering more serious issues like legitimate voter suppression and the fact that the electoral college is itself a racist institution that reduces the voting power of many people of color. It's very satisfying to view voting as an act of individual responsibility, but voting on this scale is a collective action. It isn't your vote that matters, it's your vote plus the votes of all your neighbors and their neighbors and so on.

None of this is intended to say that nothing matters or that you shouldn't vote or whatever the gently caress someone will undoubtedly try to squeeze out of this post. The point is that this is a hard problem that's not going to be solved by just screaming at people to vote. There are extremely complex issues at play here.

edit- also all of this has to happen while you have an opponent that's both actively doing the same thing and cheating in whatever ways they can get away with

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 28, 2017

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

I disagree. Your perspective is myopic at best.

More robust plans I've seen talk in terms of decades of sustained voting in an environment where said coalition has not even been built and a federal structure instrinsically hostile to most redisitribution schemes. That this the only peaceful method we have should chill you to the bone.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

More robust plans I've seen talk in terms of decades of sustained voting in an environment where said coalition has not even been built and a federal structure instrinsically hostile to most redisitribution schemes. That this the only peaceful method we have should chill you to the bone.

Shortcut, protect regulations, persecute corruption.

A right wing global empire wouldnt have legalized gay weddings in the past decade.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

So are coat of arms like vanity plates and just something (stupid) people pay the gov. for?

No. Coats of arms sometimes go back like 1,000 years. Very old families that have their origins in nobility (be they currently nobility or otherwise) tend to have one. These are those wealthy families that have fingers in many pies throughout the world that make up much of the European aristocracy. Trump desperately wants to be in that club but he can't because his family's money is relatively new. Trump's granddad was an immigrant to America that started as a barber here but managed to get into business and get rich. Not the kind of ancestry that usually gets a coat of arms, a very long family heritage, and a lineage that traces back to dukes and kings. There isn't some ancestral family estate that has been in the family for 500 years nor some bank account that dates back to something like the East India Company.

Put simply; Trump is not old money but is trying to act like he is.

There is a certain amount of vanity to a coat of arms in that being from a family that has one generally means you're part of the world elite. Like business symbols the important ones tend to have legal protections. I think. It'd make sense if they did so people couldn't just invent entire noble houses or pretend they're a member of one. Trump, being Trump, probably just decided he not only deserved one but deserved to use a prestigious one he liked.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

my mom's from minnesota. she didn't meet a black person (or a jew) until she was 20.

The other hilarious thing about disjoe's story is that there's definitely more black people in Mississippi than in Minnesota. It's the second state with the highest percentage of African-Americans residents to total population, only second to District Of Columbia. About 2/5ths of the population is black in Mississippi, on average with the state. Jackson, MS, supposedly has 80% of their population being African-American.

Edit: goddamnit, I miss read that post as the guy's dad moving from MN to get away from the blacks.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

No. Coats of arms sometimes go back like 1,000 years. Very old families that have their origins in nobility (be they currently nobility or otherwise) tend to have one. These are those wealthy families that have fingers in many pies throughout the world that make up much of the European aristocracy. Trump desperately wants to be in that club but he can't because his family's money is relatively new. Trump's granddad was an immigrant to America that started as a barber here but managed to get into business and get rich. Not the kind of ancestry that usually gets a coat of arms, a very long family heritage, and a lineage that traces back to dukes and kings. There isn't some ancestral family estate that has been in the family for 500 years nor some bank account that dates back to something like the East India Company.

Put simply; Trump is not old money but is trying to act like he is.

There is a certain amount of vanity to a coat of arms in that being from a family that has one generally means you're part of the world elite. Like business symbols the important ones tend to have legal protections. I think. It'd make sense if they did so people couldn't just invent entire noble houses or pretend they're a member of one. Trump, being Trump, probably just decided he not only deserved one but deserved to use a prestigious one he liked.

It used to be that the nouveau riche could buy or marry their way into titles, especially when the nobility had nothing but their titles. I'm guessing all the nobility has been bought up. That or no one wants to sell to Trump.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 28, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lemme vote from my cell phone thanks.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

farraday posted:

This would be from the vast store of people who don't vote for President but vote in every other election for every other office?

When the choices on your ballot are "Republican" and "Libertarian" with no Democratic option, I don't begrudge someone staying home when they're not involved in party politics.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Your cell phone has probably as much if more verity and reputability these days than an ID card and two bills with your address considering how much personal information gets put through it.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Any form of electronic voting is incredibly dumb and bad.

The security risks are not worth it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

disjoe posted:

The most racist people I know here in Texas are originally from Vermont, which is (*looks it up*) 94.3% white. To be fair one is in her 80s and her daughter is in her late 50s, early 60s. The mom is an old-school Kennedy Democrat. Which I suppose should make me uncomfortable as a liberal type but it's not really surprising. Similar thing. They excuse their racism by saying that they never had any issues with black people while growing up in Vermont, thus they can't be racists.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Xae posted:

Any form of electronic voting is incredibly dumb and bad.

The security risks are not worth it.

Not to mention what happens if a couple of cell towers in Detroit or Cleveland "coincidentally" go offline on Election Day.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

There are a whole lot of people itt pretending that if you live in a safe blue state there's no reason to vote. But half the reason we're in so much poo poo is that you didn't just lose the presidency, you lost the House and Senate that could have acted as a check. A lot of blue state non-voters can take their share of the blame for that. And given that they're in blue states, voter suppression is a non-factor - they're just lazy fucks.

Also, holy poo poo electronic voting is a terrible idea. You've literally just had an election stolen by Russian hacking - imagine how much worse it would have been if they'd been able to get at the actual ballots.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

e: gently caress my double-posting.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Young Freud posted:

The other hilarious thing about disjoe's story is that there's definitely more black people in Mississippi than in Minnesota. It's the second state with the highest percentage of African-Americans residents to total population, only second to District Of Columbia. About 2/5ths of the population is black in Mississippi, on average with the state. Jackson, MS, supposedly has 80% of their population being African-American.

It used to be that the nouveau riche could buy or marry their way into titles, especially when the nobility had nothing but their titles. I'm guessing all the nobility has been bought up. That or no one wants to sell to Trump.
Hasn't Trump threatened/shanghaiied/however the hell you want to say it banks and/or other institutions with his bankruptcy to do what he wants/needs? Methinks that sets an antecedent.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Julio Cruz posted:

Not to mention what happens if a couple of cell towers in Detroit or Cleveland "coincidentally" go offline on Election Day.

It isn't just laziness. Americans as a whole are disillusioned with politics something fierce. The support for the Democratic party by registered Democrats is often luke warm at best. They just aren't a left party anymore. They're still corporate-owned centrists. They're better than Republicans sure but it's hard to motivate Democrat voters for some very good reasons. No matter what happens Wall Street is still in control.

Republican votes also just plain count for more when you look at the federal government. Big, sparsely populated states with like 4 electoral votes tend to be very red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

When the choices on your ballot are "Republican" and "Libertarian" with no Democratic option, I don't begrudge someone staying home when they're not involved in party politics.

Feel free to cite the exact location in the US where there is never any Democrats on a non-presidential ballot ever as per your claim.

• Locked thread