Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

How I like to imagine the visit went:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrnNKP_xA3A

Dog tax best tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

farraday posted:

Feel free to cite the exact location in the US where there is never any Democrats on a non-presidential ballot ever as per your claim.

Any non-statewide race in Texas.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Transplants into red states could have moved there thinking they'll finally be free to be the racist sack of poo poo they really are.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Not any. Some. Dems run even in small towns hete for mayor and sherif. Its usually a few state positions that go unopposed.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Any non-statewide race in Texas.

Texas legislative elections are concurrent with US federal elections. The statewide governor race is set in federal off years so unless there's no Democrat running for governor, there's always a democrat on the ballot.

Try again.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

No. Coats of arms sometimes go back like 1,000 years. Very old families that have their origins in nobility (be they currently nobility or otherwise) tend to have one. These are those wealthy families that have fingers in many pies throughout the world that make up much of the European aristocracy. Trump desperately wants to be in that club but he can't because his family's money is relatively new.

No matter how they started, they have been a matter of 'stupid people paying the government money' for at least the last 300 years.

http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/services/granting-arms

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Wark Say posted:

Shinzo Abe, known among some of my bros in Japan as "That loving Goblin", is a well known denier of the crimes Japan has committed in the past, including (but certainly not limited to!) denying that the Rape of Nanking was a thing. Him and Shintaro Ishihara (former governor of Tokyo) are loving awful. Since I have a ton of friends living in Tokyo, Saitama and Chiba, I tend to keep up with Japanese politics.

e: Holy poo poo, this thread moves fast. But yeah, he's an Extreme (some will deny it, but he loving is) Right-Wing nutjob who would probably use "Yamato Damashii" the same way Trump used "Make America Great Again!" if he could get away with it.

I talked to a guy who has lived in the states for nearly 20 years, and he explained to me why comfort women were just lying Korean whores.

I stopped talking to him after that, because ew, wtf. I didn't even bring up all the other atrocities from WWII because that was the moment I realized that he really bought into Japanese nationalism and I felt sad about it.

His arguments for Japanese nationalism pretty much mirrored the arguments from Evropa Nation.

:smith:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

pumpinglemma posted:

There are a whole lot of people itt pretending that if you live in a safe blue state there's no reason to vote. But half the reason we're in so much poo poo is that you didn't just lose the presidency, you lost the House and Senate that could have acted as a check. A lot of blue state non-voters can take their share of the blame for that. And given that they're in blue states, voter suppression is a non-factor - they're just lazy fucks.

Also, holy poo poo electronic voting is a terrible idea. You've literally just had an election stolen by Russian hacking - imagine how much worse it would have been if they'd been able to get at the actual ballots.

all my reps and senators are dems.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

Shortcut, protect regulations, persecute corruption.

A right wing global empire wouldnt have legalized gay weddings in the past decade.

Gay marriage and lovely insurance based healthcare vs. Pretty much all economic activity and foreign policy. But not a right wing empire. Come on, dude.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

all my reps and senators are dems.

And votes from democrats are what keeps it that way

Anyone arguing that votes in states with a dominant party don't matter is insanely loving stupid

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

farraday posted:

Texas legislative elections are concurrent with US federal elections. The statewide governor race is set in federal off years so unless there's no Democrat running for governor, there's always a democrat on the ballot.

Try again.

You're a loving idiot. I see unopposed races all the time in GA.

Its expensive to run a campaign, and entrenched incumbents are almost impossible to beat.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Lock this thread on weekends.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Buca di Bepis posted:

And votes from democrats are what keeps it that way

Anyone arguing that votes in states with a dominant party don't matter is insanely loving stupid

Yeah. If you are able to do so without undue hardship, always go vote -- even if you spoil the ballot after deciding you can't vote for any of the candidates. Encourage friends, family and even strangers to vote. Help people to be able to vote, if you can. Work to create a culture where voting becomes a habit rather than a choice, and every citizen's vote is treated as "in play."

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Lock this thread on weekends.

Take the site offline on weekends.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Chilichimp posted:

You're a loving idiot. I see unopposed races all the time in GA.

Its expensive to run a campaign, and entrenched incumbents are almost impossible to beat.

Do you not know the difference between a ballot and an unopposed race? Give me your precinct and I'll check for the last one party ballot for you.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Can't we go back to talking about trump or boars?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Full communism tomorrow

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Can't we go back to talking about trump or boars?

Pros of having a boar as president instead:
unlikely to have sexually assaulted any humans
unlikely to go golfing instead of working
likely to prefer eating Russians over working with them

Cons:
unlikely to actually be 35 years old and thus constitutional amendment needed
all communication in grunts that must be interpreted by staffers
likely to prefer eating staffers over working with them

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

zonohedron posted:

Cons:

Last one is also not a con.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
Apathy Tomorrow

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

zonohedron posted:

Cons:
I don't think the communication would be any worse than now. Or any different.

Night10194 posted:

Last one is also not a con.
It's a solid Pro. The Pro-est.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Having a boar for a president would be really tedious.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/bakkooonn/status/868929774617468928

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

The problem with having a boar for prez is that he would be very vulnerable to attacks from crazy Gauls, as demonstrated by Macron.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
a boar? for president?

he'd get....

eaten

...alive

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

his name was squantchy

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

rkajdi posted:

There's more than just that. Abe wants a real military (not an SDF) and to be allowed to have nuclear weapons. Dude is legit scary, and a lot of people in the US are blind to it because he acts modestly like he's in our corner against China.

He is "in our corner" mainly because he wants us to go to war with China and destroy them (and ourselves) so that glorious nippon can assume the mantle of world leader. :japan:

Julio Cruz posted:

Not to mention what happens if a couple of cell towers in Detroit or Cleveland "coincidentally" go offline on Election Day.

That's too obvious, a more simplistic thing would be for some of the numerous human garbage police officers with access to Stingrays finding a way to use them to harvest and modify any votes that happen to pass through them.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

farraday posted:

Do you not know the difference between a ballot and an unopposed race? Give me your precinct and I'll check for the last one party ballot for you.

Are you aware that unopposed candidates still appear on the ballot?

Here, man, 3rd from the top, left column. No democrat candidate.

https://www.gwinnettcounty.com/static/departments/elections/2016_Election/11.08.2016_Consolidated_Ballot_Revise_9_16_16.pdf

And a staggering number of unopposed.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 28, 2017

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

Language is a limited medium and if we start tearing down ideals that are agnostic in their prescriptions for the greater good of all because someone worse than us said similar things at some point in history then we are left with nothing but nihilism and despair.

It is a big ask to devote yourself to more than your own personal continued existance and comfort.

The united states is an empire of cultural influence and our current executive leader is choosing to throw that away for wholly imagined reasons, as much as the threat of the american military casts a shadow over all world events i wont deny the rest of the world its agency because its much easier to be intelectually lazy and call the US empire.

We are not at the end of history.

Cultural, military, and economic influence. I'm honestly not sure what would preclude the United States from being considered an empire at point.

Bit of a derail, though.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Cultural, military, and economic influence. I'm honestly not sure what would preclude the United States from being considered an empire at point.

Bit of a derail, though.

Not having colonies or offshore commodities owned by the state.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gnossiennes posted:

I talked to a guy who has lived in the states for nearly 20 years, and he explained to me why comfort women were just lying Korean whores.

I stopped talking to him after that, because ew, wtf. I didn't even bring up all the other atrocities from WWII because that was the moment I realized that he really bought into Japanese nationalism and I felt sad about it.

His arguments for Japanese nationalism pretty much mirrored the arguments from Evropa Nation.

:smith:
gently caress those people. Denying the awful poo poo the country you're so proud of did teaches people nothing. Even some of my older "conservative" friends/acquaintances in Japan have said that "Denying the mistakes we as a nation committed will only lead to the country running into them again".

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

Not having colonies or offshore commodities owned by the state.

We had effectively colonial territories, though. And not all empires follow the pattern of aggressively holding subjugated territory over time (well, we actually did this too) as the Athenian and Carthaginian empires, for example, usually relied on a much softer hand.

Does it not count as empire if you annex it to some people?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

We prefer client kingdoms and corporate managers for the colonies :v:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Maybe we should make boar hunting a requirement for being the prez.

Just give them a pistol, a knife , and a boar spear.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

Something something robert baratheon

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

PhazonLink posted:

The Rock 2020.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

PhazonLink posted:

a classic coming of age hunt in the bronze age world

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

The Rock 2020.

Rock beats Trump in the primary. Booker wins Dem primary. Contest is between The Rock and Booker in 2020. Rock wins, dazzles the masses with his charisma while the GOP party machine rolls back the bulk of the progressive era.

How do you like my political horror fiction?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

farraday posted:

Nice PM meltdown, why don't you stop being a pedant and acknowledge the possibility of certain districts in the US (mainly rural) being so firmly red that democrats either don't run or have no chance.

That is a pretty firm source of voter suppression.

I waxed about "voting anyway" a few pages ago, so we are probably on the same side here, but telling someone a ballot condition where no democrats have a chance in the age of scientific gerrymandering seems like a foot-in-mouth kind of statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
edit: wrong thread

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 28, 2017

• Locked thread