Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

And Tyler Too! posted:

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen has an entire endgame area that is effectively its own little souls-tribute and it does a pretty nice job. As you progress you unlock shortcuts back to the hub, monsters can and will gently caress you up in a matter of seconds, merchants who have no drat business being located where they are, you'll be dropping piles of resources to upgrade your gear, and the overall atmosphere is grim as all hell.

Dark Souls needs its own Death boss that appears at random times that will completely gently caress you up if you aren't prepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Node posted:

Dark Souls needs its own Death boss that appears at random times that will completely gently caress you up if you aren't prepared.

you mean like the invading players?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah bad just like death, heyo!

Bitter black isle has cool stuff but it also has a lot of things having too much numbers

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sum Gai posted:

Of course, "look at the surface level" and "no meat to the imitators" describes the whole Dark series compared to Demon's Souls, too, really.

what.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm doing a co-op playthrough of DS1 with a friend that hasn't played before and a friend that has. Last night we got repeatedly invaded in Blighttown by a player using a moveswapped Black Knight Halberd/Estoc.

The moveswap, for those who don't know, is a glitch that allows you to swap the running and rolling attacks of one weapon onto another weapon. It's normally used in speedrunning because it will drastically increase your damage output. The DS1 Estoc's running attack is a very fast lunge that hits twice. The BKH just plain hits like a truck. The invader was pretty much able to one-shot us (the friend that's played before is going sorcery and hasn't really leveled VIT so he died instantly) if he landed an attack. Landing a second attack was easy since you'd be staggered after the first attack hit.

I'm used to low-leveled invaders with maxed elemental weapons but this was something different.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

I'm saying Dark Souls et al are shallow imitations of Demon's Souls. Sorry if that wasn't clear!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Shear Modulus posted:

I suppose. You don't get much of a reward for defeating invaders. I forgot what Death dropped but I'm pretty sure it was good stuff.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It was clear to me and my response is still: what.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sum Gai posted:

Of course, "look at the surface level" and "no meat to the imitators" describes the whole Dark series compared to Demon's Souls, too, really.

Whoa that's a take hotter than Flamelurker! :downs:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sum Gai posted:

I'm saying Dark Souls et al are shallow imitations of Demon's Souls. Sorry if that wasn't clear!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It was clear to me and my response is still: what.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Shear Modulus posted:

dark souls invaders can't instakill people with a single swing of their giant scythe the size of 3 people put together, so, no

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Johnny Joestar posted:

dark souls invaders can't instakill people with a single swing of their giant scythe the size of 3 people put together, so, no

Through the wonders of hacking that is perfectly possible!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

who needs hacking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RSwGnb2mB8

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Death popping in to kill your idiot npc party is tedious

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sum Gai posted:

and they're all watered down versions of king's field

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sum Gai posted:

god I love farming moongrass and confusing weapon upgrade items

poo poo dude I love the scraping spear

I've just got such a huge boner over the huge, obscure, pointless mess of a mechanic that is world tendency

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Panty Saluter posted:

and they're all watered down versions of king's field

i miss hitting an ice golem in the butt for 8 minutes.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

King's Field and its sequels are just crude simulacrums of Zelda 2 anyway. That's where this evolutionary line should've ended

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Internet Kraken posted:

Through the wonders of hacking that is perfectly possible!

Well no, you can't make the weapon model monstrously huge.

You can certainly make it throw out an infinite wave of fiery, game-crashing death though.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

god I love farming moongrass and confusing weapon upgrade items

poo poo dude I love the scraping spear

I've just got such a huge boner over the huge, obscure, pointless mess of a mechanic that is world tendency

Demon's throws grasses at you hand over fist, though. If you need to farm them how terrible are you...? And world tendency is a great mechanic! One that's not done very well, no. I won't argue about the scraping spear and upgrade mats, though, those are garbage.

Mostly I'm talking about the atmosphere, the art direction, and the themes, which are all things that the Dark Souls games keep making callbacks to without any kind of thought, they just seem to think a boss that looks like Garl Vinland is inherently interesting, I guess.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I hope From's next reveal is King's Field 5, VR compatible. That would make me buy a console.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

i miss hitting an ice golem in the butt for 8 minutes.

Fan of the midir fight I take it

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Panty Saluter posted:

and they're all watered down versions of metal wolf chaos
it's all been downhill since then really

And Tyler Too! posted:

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen has an entire endgame area that is effectively its own little souls-tribute and it does a pretty nice job. As you progress you unlock shortcuts back to the hub, monsters can and will gently caress you up in a matter of seconds, merchants who have no drat business being located where they are, you'll be dropping piles of resources to upgrade your gear, and the overall atmosphere is grim as all hell.
In case you're talking about the dlc island: i finished it twice and while built-in ng+ variant is a nice touch it really doesn't hold a candle to dark souls mechanically or polish. And while Dragons Dogmas wonky, chaotic charm kept me there for almost a 100 hours its bosses (save for a few spawn combinations in the optional DLC arenas) are so lacklustre and/or HP sponges they make bed of chaos and pinwheel look like breathtaking feats of design.

And man, the grind for some of the required upgrade materials in that game makes getting 50 loyce souls look like a walk in the park.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To be honest I didn't really get the atmosphere aspect of Demon's. It all just felt like this washed out gray lifeless world that sometimes became red when lava got involved. It's not washed out enough to feel like a stylization choice, like an intentional decision. It just looks kinda bland.

Boletaria's the area I found to be most atmospheric in spite of that but even then the layout doesn't make a single bit of sense. None of the areas in Demon's really seem like logical places that people would hang out and exist in, just crafted mazes for you to wander through like a DnD campaign.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 29, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People usually point towards the Tower of Latria when it comes to atmosphere in Demon's Souls. Probably because its the part of Demon's Souls from references the most in their later games, intentionally or not. I think it has really good atmosphere and I like the Shrine of Storms as well, but I wouldn't call anything else exceptional. In fact I think Stonefang Tunnels is really goddamn boring. Regardles I don't think even the best parts of Demon's Souls are better than other parts of the series.

The only modern From game I honestly think stands above all the others when it comes to atmosphere is Bloodborne. They did such an amazing job there.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It's weird to complain about Demon's Souls being washed out when most of the games in the series are washed out, though. Like, really weird.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

Boletaria's the area I found to be most atmospheric in spite of that but even then the layout doesn't make a single bit of sense. None of the areas in Demon's really seem like logical places that people would hang out and exist in, just crafted mazes for you to wander through like a DnD campaign.

EhhHHH I think Demon's level design is more videogamey than most Souls games (even the way you have to teleport from the hub to the levels ensures that) but I'm not sure it's reasonable to hold "illogical" level design, in the sense of it being unrealistic, against it. It's basically a horror game, and the places in it are deliberately nightmarish and awful; 5-2 is actually the exact opposite of a crafted maze, just a big lovely pit full of mud, but it's "unrealistic" in that it makes no sense that anybody would ever have chosen to live and build a settlement there. And that unreality is the best thing about it, because it makes it bewildering and uncomfortable to dwell on. You're also explicitly going into places corrupted by the demonic mist; who knows if they even looked the same before its arrival.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The games are dreary but I wouldn't say washed out. 3 certainly isn't.

And +1 to bloodborne has the best atmosphere

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bloodborne isn't a game that exists, it's not on PC

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
From generally works with a subdued color palette but they know how to use it properly. The 3 Dark Souls games all use color just fine in a variety of areas.

Demon's Souls does look very dreary but that's absolutely intentional. The antagonistic force in Demon's Souls is a murky, colorless fog swallowing up the land. The areas you visit are lands that are either in the process of being consumed or already have been. So for everything to have a dreary and washed out appearance makes perfect sense.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sum Gai posted:

And world tendency is a great mechanic! One that's not done very well, no.
:psyduck:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Here's a hot take:

They're all bad good 😈

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

one of my buddies best described demon's souls as looking like one of those video games you'd see on law and order svu.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

one of my buddies best described demon's souls as looking like one of those video games you'd see on law and order svu.

This is harsh. Evaluate me

I think Demon's Souls looks a lot blander than any of the Dark Souls games, partially due to them being 1) less experienced and 2) having lovely textures. The lower resolution, worse textures and worse use of color for things like skyboxes make Demon's Souls more washed out than the later games and I think it's weird to argue otherwise.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
"You Died" says the cyber murderer "gankcrusher69" as the victim of the episode fails to defeat the boss and his gamestation 720 explodes, ripping the snes gamepad out of his hands. "He didn't even get to finish his gamerfuel, that might have saved him and gotten the worlds highscore" the detective's clumsy nerd hacker sidekick later says. "He probably didn't even realize Dark Souls 2 Soul Memory was a terrible idea, if only he had read my dozens of gamefaqs posts about it." responds the hip and suave main detective.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 29, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol that's chillingly accurate

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Here's a hot take:

They're all bad good 😈

This is a fine note.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fargin Icehole posted:

GODDAMN YOU FRIEDE. I took down Gael in one shot, and this fuckin' boss... I didn't expect that third form.

Welcome to the end of your sanity.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
video games are stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

CJacobs posted:

To be honest I didn't really get the atmosphere aspect of Demon's. It all just felt like this washed out gray lifeless world that sometimes became red when lava got involved. It's not washed out enough to feel like a stylization choice, like an intentional decision. It just looks kinda bland.

It makes way more sense than any of the other castles in the series, though. In Lothric you get from the high wall to the castle proper by climbing a ladder in front of an altar in a church. The church doesn't even have stairs, no, you have to climb the loving ladder.

And I really wouldn't throw shade at Demon's grey, lifeless world in the Dark Soul 3 thread. It wasn't a colorful game, but 3 looks like it has an actual grey filter on it and its textures look like plastic, so you end up with this world that mostly looks like it's made of grey vomit.