Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

DevCore posted:

I've got a dracaena in a corner that seems to be doing ok. The problem right now is that I didn't pot it very well so it's constantly tipping over. Hence being shoved in a corner to give it support. I was using those auto-watering globes but that seemed to make the soil a little swampy. So I went back to the "let it dry out, then water it method"
I might pick up some cacti the next time I'm at a nursery, they look great, but I'm also worried about the over-attention I'll probably give it.

Austin, TX. So lots and lots of sun.

You could get Nepenthes "Lady Luck", which is pretty much bred exactly for bright windowsills in warm places. At work right now we have N. ampullaria x (spectabilis x talangensis), which is very similar to N. "Lady Luck". You'd also have good luck with N. sanguinea or N. ventricosa.

learnincurve posted:

Yes! My faveroute plants ever. https://www.californiacarnivores.com/collections/lowland-nepenthes Lowland Nepenthes pitcher plant, (highland version needs putting out at night and bringing in again during the day for some odd reason). I'm convinced this plant has a brain, what it does is sit there nice and quiet catching small flys and whatnot and allowing the scouting ants to get all comfortable like, so they see it as a food source and not a threat. Then it starts to eat them.

There was an article about this in the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter sometime in the last couple years, and also I think one of the talks at the conference last August dealt with it. Basically yes, Nepenthes (at least certain species) vary the efficacy of their traps in different ways. I think it actually was in response to local conditions like humidity and wetness etc. But essentially periods of low trap efficacy led to higher overall prey capture because it allowed scout ants and termites to alert the colony to a new nectar source. I believe they did an experiment where they kept certain pitchers wet all the time (this was an in the field) and they had much reduced prey capture. The plants really are extremely sophisticated.

Zeris posted:

Do you operate that website / sell these guys? I think we PM'd a year ago and I was wondering about the viability of a nepenthes in NYC. My window is west-facing and I supplement it with several LED lights but a few direct sunlight plants are struggling. They would be the perfect addition if they don't die from lack of light.

West windows are usually pretty good, but in NYC I imagine there are complicating factors like other buildings. Certainly if you have a window and supplemental light I would imagine you would have a good chance with growing some Neps. I just looked and my PMs and I see I didn't respond to your inquiry! I'm really sorry about that, I must have lost it in the course of the week. If you'd still like to send me a picture of your windowsill you can email it to devon@predatoryplants.com. I know quite a few very good growers in NYC, so I know it can be done!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You're probably thinking of Kenning. He works at Predatory Plants. I've bought from them and they're legit.

Hey, glad you liked your plants!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

"Oh it looks like it's finally going to stop raining for the first time this week. I can finally put down this 7 Dust stuff and keep my plants from getting more eaten up. 30% and less than a 10th of an inch are pretty good odds."

"Oh look, it's an areal flood warning and a massive downpour."

gently caress. Well, now I get to go buy more of this stuff. At least I found a slug outside and killed it. Salted the little bastard too as extra punishment.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 25, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kenning posted:

You could get Nepenthes "Lady Luck", which is pretty much bred exactly for bright windowsills in warm places. At work right now we have N. ampullaria x (spectabilis x talangensis), which is very similar to N. "Lady Luck". You'd also have good luck with N. sanguinea or N. ventricosa.

How well do Lady Luck and your ampullaria hybrid pitcher in a window? I have a huge southeast-facing window that receives bright filtered light all day. I had a Nepenthes hanging there over the winter (I think it's a ventrata, but I've never seen it pitcher, so IDK) and it was kinda happy for a while, but it never flourished. Is there a way to encourage pitchering indoors?

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.
I have two plant questions:

First, it turns out I have a rose bush in my front planter. The PO apparently chopped it down to the ground before listing it so this spring it all popped up. It seems pretty happy and all, but how do I make it be more like bush and less like a giagantic green spider? Should it be trellissed or pruned or staked, or what?

There's also an annual growing in the same bed that I don't recognize. It ended up dropping hundreds of small (about 2mm) black pea shaped seeds. I think it regrew from the seeds this spring, but I'm not 100% on that. It seems pretty distinctive, but it's not ringing any bells.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
It's hard to tell what kind of rose that is, different roses tend to have different habits. I guess the best route to take is decide what you want it to do and see if the rose will follow suit. It may not even be the original rose- a lot of fancy roses are grown on different rootstocks to confer some disease resistance (most common one I think is the "Dr. Huey" rootstock cultivar) but the rootstock can sometimes send up its own stems and take over. Fun fact- I actually have a rose (probably the aforementioned doctor) from a previous owner that I'd tried to dig out 3 times, and each year it came back again. I've since given up and started training it onto the fence.

Your annuals are Mirabilis jalapa, aka Four o'clocks.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Marchegiana posted:

Your annuals are Mirabilis jalapa, aka Four o'clocks.

Perfect, that looks absolutely correct.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I would say If it's a bush then you cut it back and then it will start to fill out into a bush shape, however if it's a rambler or a climber then I just told you exactly the wrong thing to do. :) I would tie it to a cane for support/to keep it out of the way and wait and see what the flowers are like.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Flowers everywhere!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Those roses are looking gorgeous :allears:

SuperGinger!
Sep 29, 2007
my hair burns with the fire of a thousand suns
Anyone recognize what this is? It's about 3ft tall and the stalks are fuzzy.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Might be an Echinacea.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So I have a what my wife calls a "Chinese Rose" that has a decent amount of what I believe to be slug damage. It's alive, but looks rather swiss cheese-y. Should I cut back the damaged parts or leave it be?

Pick from earlier, it's a good deal more holey than this now:

Warbird fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 29, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Crosspost from A/T: Is there any way to keep the grass on your lawn from growing?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Crosspost from A/T: Is there any way to keep the grass on your lawn from growing?

Cover it with landscaping plastic/fabric and then a two or three or four inches of mulch?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Leperflesh posted:

Cover it with landscaping plastic/fabric and then a two or three or four inches of mulch?

I'm looking at prices for landscaping plastic and I need to stop a few acres so it'd be prohibitively expensive.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There is Rhinanthus minor/yellow rattle which is a grass parasite if you want to play the long game. You cut the grass short, rake it till you see earth then sow the seeds in autumn, early spring it grows up eating the grass and then dies after a month leaving space for wildflowers. Repeat each year.

Other option is chemicals, but anything that destroys grass will destroy all things.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Hello thread, I have an english ivy that's in trouble.

I got the plant a couple of months ago as a rooted cutting from a friend, in a largeish pot. Initially I had it by a window that receives direct sunlight for about half an hour a day and indirect sunlight for the rest of the day, and it grew about 6 pairs of leaves quicky, from the 4 leaves it already had. But after this growth spurt, it stopped growing at all, and the leaves remained in their juvenile shape for what must have already been at this point 5 or 6 weeks. A couple of them have dropped off and the rest are light green and small. Older leaves are also still alive and attached except for one that dropped off. Could this be because I leached the fertilizer from the soil by overwatering? Are the roots rotting due to excess soil moisture? I'd read directions that I should water about once a week by saturating the soil and then letting it get relatively dry, but I suspect that my potting mix may be retaining moisture too well. I remediated the problem and dried out the soil somewhat but the plant is still not budging. Should I re-fertilize?

Edit: I also moved the plant to a slightly shadier spot, that doesn't seem to be helping either.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 29, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Fertilizer isn't the problem. Plants grow fine without it in the short term, and people tend to over-fertilize.

How established was it when you got it? It may have been running off inertia (the new leaves) and then halted growth when it realized it needed to start growing roots.

It might need more light. I doubt it wants more shade.

You might be overwatering. It doesn't sound like you're underwatering. Get in the habit of checking the soil with your finger rather than trying to follow a schedule. You want the top inch or two to dry out before you water again.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I murdered a couple English Ivy plants by putting them in lots of sun and watering once a week. My current one was shuffled to a back room that gets indirect light and much more irregular watering, and it's growing like mad now. I suspect they really hate wet roots.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How well do Lady Luck and your ampullaria hybrid pitcher in a window? I have a huge southeast-facing window that receives bright filtered light all day. I had a Nepenthes hanging there over the winter (I think it's a ventrata, but I've never seen it pitcher, so IDK) and it was kinda happy for a while, but it never flourished. Is there a way to encourage pitchering indoors?

Lady Luck is a perfect windowsill plant, and it pitchers like mad. I've not grown the complex amp cross in a windowsill, but I imagine it would do fairly well. I suspect your problem was with winter. Lots of plants, including ventrata, stop pitchering over the winter due to the colder temperatures. My big ventrata vine only started really getting its pitchers back about a month ago, and I'm in California. Give it a few months of warm temperatures and it will probably pitcher up. Humidity can help, so if you spritz your plant with water a couple times a day that can raise the ambient humidity and encourage pitchering as well.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm looking at prices for landscaping plastic and I need to stop a few acres so it'd be prohibitively expensive.

Rent a hundred goats

Not being facetious, there are goat rentals and they're ideal for controlling grass. The area will need to be well-fenced.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

The End.

Leperflesh posted:

Rent a hundred goats

Not being facetious, there are goat rentals and they're ideal for controlling grass. The area will need to be well-fenced.

Many goat rental places will supply their own fencing, the only things better than goats at getting out of fences are pigs.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Goats As A Service

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Leperflesh posted:

Rent a hundred goats

wtf, you can apparently rent goats on Amazon now

https://www.amazon.com/Hire-a-Goat-Grazer/dp/B00UBYDXXQ

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

What a world

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Aren't goat rentals kinda expensive?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've been told they're much cheaper than hiring someone to bring machinery to clear brush/grass/land, but probably substantially more expensive than doing that work yourself assuming you already own the necessary equipment. But they're also by far the most environmentally friendly option, and I bet you can get a discount from a goat-rental if you're a repeat customer.

Also you get to hang around with goats, I mean, that's gotta be worth something right? People pay to go to zoos and farms just to feed the goats, right?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I know we have some Bay Area plant goons in here, so I figured I'd rep the BACPS show this weekend.

It's going to be a very good show! I'll be selling plants, and also doing a presentation on "Carnivorous Plants As House Plants". If you're free on Saturday between noon and 6 pm come by the Lake Merritt Garden Center in Oakland, it'll be a Hoot. If you're a goon you can say some goony thing to me and I'll get you our best plants. I'll be the tall guy at the Predatory Plants booth.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 1, 2017

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

when's it ok to start pruning a bonsai? my tree is about 5 months old, but the canopy just exploded once I transferred it to a bigger pot, and I just put it in an even bigger one yesterday, so I'm anticipating even more growth. some of the branches are already longer than the trunk of the tree itself. but it's at the point where even a slight breeze causes the trunk to nearly bend to the ground (it's an indoor tree that I only took outside to change pots). also, when pruning, can I just trim the branch instead of removing it altogether? is it better to prune everything at once, or space it out doing one bit every 4-5 days to give the plant time to heal?

all the guides to pruning bonsai I can find online are 1) geared toward aesthetics with little to no practical information, and 2) seem to be intended for older plants, so I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

That is an awesome poster.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Enfys posted:

That is an awesome poster.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

indigi posted:

when's it ok to start pruning a bonsai? my tree is about 5 months old, but the canopy just exploded once I transferred it to a bigger pot, and I just put it in an even bigger one yesterday, so I'm anticipating even more growth. some of the branches are already longer than the trunk of the tree itself. but it's at the point where even a slight breeze causes the trunk to nearly bend to the ground (it's an indoor tree that I only took outside to change pots). also, when pruning, can I just trim the branch instead of removing it altogether? is it better to prune everything at once, or space it out doing one bit every 4-5 days to give the plant time to heal?

all the guides to pruning bonsai I can find online are 1) geared toward aesthetics with little to no practical information, and 2) seem to be intended for older plants, so I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do

What kind of tree is it? Ficus? It sounds like it's a young tree, so at this point you probably won't be doing much shaping, you're just looking to get trunk thickness built up. I'd say trim branches that are ridiculously long but otherwise leave it alone, and also post in the bonsai thread with pics.

Edit: I looked back at your previous posts. Jacaranda, which looks neat when I do an image search. Anyway, based on the picture you posted, I'd try cutting the longest branch down to ~1/2 its current length and see what happens. If it doesn't appear to kill the whole branch (I don't know much about jacarandas), you could them trim the others. Your pictures show a trunk that's still green so there's a lot of growth and development to do. Leave it outside all summer and only bring it in when the temperatures are threatening to drop to 40ish I'd say. This will help thicken the foliage and the trunk much quicker--all my ficuses are outside right now.

Edit 2: It sounds like jacs are pretty resilient so here's what I was thinking:

Note that I removed one of the upper branches entirely because having two branches at the same level will result in an unsightly bulge in the trunk, so I chopped the thinner of the two figuring it would be easier to eliminate. You might start off by leaving a bit more on every branch, the more leaf area the better while you're trying to grow the trunk.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 1, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Put your tree outside for a few years in a much, much larger container (or even in the ground). Bonsai aren't baby trees. They're adult trees that have been pruned and shaped to look miniature. Before they're ready for display, they need conditions like a regular healthy tree, including lots of sunlight and space for a root system. Pruning early on is liable to make it harder for the tree to photosynthesize, and it really needs that energy.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

The End.

Leperflesh posted:

I've been told they're much cheaper than hiring someone to bring machinery to clear brush/grass/land, but probably substantially more expensive than doing that work yourself assuming you already own the necessary equipment. But they're also by far the most environmentally friendly option, and I bet you can get a discount from a goat-rental if you're a repeat customer.

Also you get to hang around with goats, I mean, that's gotta be worth something right? People pay to go to zoos and farms just to feed the goats, right?

Goats also do steep slopes which are dangerous/difficult for machinery.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

this was all great advice, thanks!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Put your tree outside for a few years in a much, much larger container (or even in the ground). Bonsai aren't baby trees. They're adult trees that have been pruned and shaped to look miniature. Before they're ready for display, they need conditions like a regular healthy tree, including lots of sunlight and space for a root system. Pruning early on is liable to make it harder for the tree to photosynthesize, and it really needs that energy.

I can't really put it in the ground at the moment, but I did move it to a much larger pot. I'll start putting it outside, but I'm worried the wind will really do a number on it - the breeze that practically knocked it over yesterday wasn't even particularly strong. the big branches really catch the wind :ohdear:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This is good advice, especially putting it in the ground if you live in a sufficiently warm area. However, having just repotted it, you might wait a while before stressing it again by putting it in the ground?

I suggested pruning because it would suck for wind to break the branches or the trunk, but yeah if you can get it into a more sheltered area that still gets a lot of sun, don't prune it except maybe remove that one branch so the trunk doesn't get bulgy.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, probably wait until fall to transplant.

I wonder if something like a tomato cage would be enough to protect from wind for now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kenning posted:

I know we have some Bay Area plant goons in here, so I figured I'd rep the BACPS show this weekend.

It's going to be a very good show! I'll be selling plants, and also doing a presentation on "Carnivorous Plants As House Plants". If you're free on Saturday between noon and 6 pm come by the Lake Merritt Garden Center in Oakland, it'll be a Hoot. If you're a goon you can say some goony thing to me and I'll get you our best plants. I'll be the tall guy at the Predatory Plants booth.

drat, I'm already committed to going to a house warming party after we do the cat adoption day thing.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

anatomi posted:

If you're unlucky the rhizome might've simply decayed. But chantrieri is a bit unpredictable. Maybe it's just taking its time. What are the conditions, temperature, humidity, soil, like?

Temperature in the house has been around 70, unsure of the indoor humidity but outside it's been averaging 60%. Everywhere I read said they needed very well drained soil so I went with a cactus/succulent mix and put in some extra perlite.

In other plant happenings, I stumbled upon a giant monstera hiding in a greenhouse that had to come home with me. They said it was a year old clipping from a six year old mother plant. My house's conversion into a jungle is going just as planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pham Nuwen posted:

What kind of tree is it? Ficus? It sounds like it's a young tree, so at this point you probably won't be doing much shaping, you're just looking to get trunk thickness built up. I'd say trim branches that are ridiculously long but otherwise leave it alone, and also post in the bonsai thread with pics.

Edit: I looked back at your previous posts. Jacaranda, which looks neat when I do an image search. Anyway, based on the picture you posted, I'd try cutting the longest branch down to ~1/2 its current length and see what happens. If it doesn't appear to kill the whole branch (I don't know much about jacarandas), you could them trim the others. Your pictures show a trunk that's still green so there's a lot of growth and development to do. Leave it outside all summer and only bring it in when the temperatures are threatening to drop to 40ish I'd say. This will help thicken the foliage and the trunk much quicker--all my ficuses are outside right now.

Edit 2: It sounds like jacs are pretty resilient so here's what I was thinking:

Note that I removed one of the upper branches entirely because having two branches at the same level will result in an unsightly bulge in the trunk, so I chopped the thinner of the two figuring it would be easier to eliminate. You might start off by leaving a bit more on every branch, the more leaf area the better while you're trying to grow the trunk.

Is this really okay though? The parts suggested to be trimmed are actually leaves, not branches. There's actually only seven leaves total on that plant, and I'm worried about how well the plant will respond to having half of its leaves cut. I might recommend trying out one snip first to see how the plant reacts to having the leaves cut in half before proceeding with the rest since the styling advice is solid though.