Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Instant Grat posted:

The thing about Golden Hands in Persona 4 is that in the PS2 release, they only gave money. It's only in P4G that they also drop EXP. I'm not wild about the change, frankly - it makes it impossible to scrape together some cash to play around with fusions without also becoming horrendously overleveled.

I probably won't see them very much in the future. I mostly took advantage of their XP to catch up on levels. Because wow I guess the average was suppose to be 35 on Shadow Teddie and I was level 38 two dungeons away. I knew there was something off when Shadow Mitsuo was actually hard and made me burn through all my revives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kaneko's 4th artbook is out after 9 years: http://personacentral.com/kazuma-kaneko-art-book-works-vol-4-cover-art/

I found out he had older art books way after they stopped being printed too :smith:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow the Namatame fight was bullshit when he did the mass control on the party because everyone had Attack Up and they rip through the leader's HP. Thank goodness for Rise's Life 3 on the leader, as it would been a game over for sure.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

In vanilla I had to power-level up to about 65 to handle namatame on Hard. He just did too much damage to my party in raw numbers that I couldn't beat him at a lower level. However, I did thrash Shadow Naoto at lv 49 and am proud of it. Throne owns bones for that fight. One day I'll finish p4, after getting that goddamn guardian.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Joke option for Namatame: Use the underflow glitch to get 99 Makaracorns, wait for him to Quad Converge, then start throwing corn and saying "Stop hitting yourself"

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The thing was he wasn't that bad, it just my party was hitting so hard when they were being controlled due to being buffed. And Naoto hit me with silence so I couldn't even try to use a defense spell. Wish I kept Rangda for that part so I could at least ignore melee.

[edit]

Since there still days after you beat Adachi, do you still auto jump in days after you defeat him in December? if it still auto jumps, what day should I do it so I can get the Christmas Event?

Rirse fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 26, 2017

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Rirse posted:

The thing was he wasn't that bad, it just my party was hitting so hard when they were being controlled due to being buffed. And Naoto hit me with silence so I couldn't even try to use a defense spell. Wish I kept Rangda for that part so I could at least ignore melee.

[edit]

Since there still days after you beat Adachi, do you still auto jump in days after you defeat him in December? if it still auto jumps, what day should I do it so I can get the Christmas Event?

22nd

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I got past the Issachar fight in SMT IV last night and am now coming up to Minotaur and Medusa so this is officially the furthest I've made into it the game. I really dig the alien 1492 Europe tone, how Literature is a new and worrying concept, how everyone has cyber gauntlets that display the Mystic Script (clearly Japanese). I'm pretty sure I'm spoiled on where it's going, but it's still a hell of a zag for the series that's really cool.

I'm constantly surprised by how I've played like nine of these games and still feel like I do not know what I'm doing. Like my Oni has Media on it because it was the only decent thing I could fuse my Lehan Sidhe onto, whoops! What demons do I want, who knows man! Went with a Dex build, but my actual skillset is half magic so whatever.

Are there any apps that are like, super important? I've focused probably way too far into Expand Stock and Skill Expansion for the MC, and a pitstop for Demolingual. Fusion Booster for 1.2x EXP for fused demons and MP Recovery sound pretty good and maybe Fundraise? cause drat I need cash.

Game good. I think I begin to see why it was criticized in the past year, but it's still a good rear end SMT game. If I actually make it to the Tokyo then I've practically beat it imo

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Jeez, I am under level again it seems, as the fusion forecast is for a level 75 persona, and I am level 68. Oh well, one of the roulette at the end of the fight gave me a upgrade to Megidolo and made it the severe damage version. Which a mind charge and heat riser version instantly killed the few treasure goblins I seen in the dungeon.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Another useful app to have is the one that allows demons you recruit in battle to try and recruit their comrades. This allows you to get a lot more demon fodder for fusions whilst cutting down on the resources spent on multiple demon conversations.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Rirse posted:

Jeez, I am under level again it seems, as the fusion forecast is for a level 75 persona, and I am level 68. Oh well, one of the roulette at the end of the fight gave me a upgrade to Megidolo and made it the severe damage version. Which a mind charge and heat riser version instantly killed the few treasure goblins I seen in the dungeon.

I wouldn't recommend you fuse that specific Persona anyway if you want the game to retain any kind of challenge at all. He's so powerful that nothing except the NG+ bonus boss can realistically touch you if you have him.

E: Oh poo poo I just remembered, make sure you've got Aeon maxed out before you clear out this dungeon if you want the new Golden-exclusive extra dungeon and extended epilogue.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 27, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
oh GEEZ this sidequest with David coming out of nowhere just completely stomped my rear end. I somehow had no trouble with the Ares and Long challenge quests. I assume I can come back to Naraku later when I reach Tokyo or do I need to do this sooner rather than later. I assume challenge quests aren't entirely missable?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Instant Grat posted:

I wouldn't recommend you fuse that specific Persona anyway if you want the game to retain any kind of challenge at all. He's so powerful that nothing except the NG+ bonus boss can realistically touch you if you have him.

E: Oh poo poo I just remembered, make sure you've got Aeon maxed out before you clear out this dungeon if you want the new Golden-exclusive extra dungeon and extended epilogue.

I had Aeon max out since September so I'm good. Only Social links left are the non party ones outside of Dojima and Nanoko who are max out as well. Plus Adachi who on auto pilot now.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Moltrey posted:

oh GEEZ this sidequest with David coming out of nowhere just completely stomped my rear end. I somehow had no trouble with the Ares and Long challenge quests. I assume I can come back to Naraku later when I reach Tokyo or do I need to do this sooner rather than later. I assume challenge quests aren't entirely missable?

He's not going anywhere.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
You're drat right he's not going anywhere, because this thug's absurd. I beat Medusa on my first try and Minotaur in two and David can just Mamudo + Blight me right outta the park.

:atlus:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Was wondering who David was when I remembered Fiends were totally a thing in 4. Sure it gave us the best design in Chemtrails but no one would ever run into it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Moltrey posted:

You're drat right he's not going anywhere, because this thug's absurd. I beat Medusa on my first try and Minotaur in two and David can just Mamudo + Blight me right outta the park.

:atlus:

Yeah, David is a big gently caress you thing that you're supposed to come back to later. It's pretty great though when you first run into him. Just minding your own business doing a sidequest, when suddenly "fiend" starts playing and you realize that you're hosed.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, it's really mean! I finally beat him after I remembered I had 10 Mazio stones and I got lucky with Blight missing sometimes. SMT's kinda the best when you're just loving skirting by the seat of your pants

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

David was how I met Charon.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Which social links are off during exam week? I am trying to finish Sports Club, Ai, and Music before exam/jump to the two dungeons. I had previously got up to January 27th and finished Sports Club and got Ai and Music to 7, but look ahead and see exams week build up is next week so I am figuring they both hit the final day already.

I might just load up my save from post Christmas Day and skip doing the active party/Rise Persona evolution until exam week starts...or they can't be done during that time too?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

He's much taller than I expected when standing up vs the old games.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What up with the guides saying Ai is available on Friday. I don't see her at all on the last week before exams start.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cause it was the week before exams start i think

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Endorph posted:

cause it was the week before exams start i think

That not it because I briefly skipped a day and sport club is available for their last rank.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thinking of trying out an SMT game after P5. Is the Devil Survivor series a good place to start? Would save me having to get a different console as I already have a 3DS, and it looks like an interesting premise.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Igor's bone phone

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Thinking of trying out an SMT game after P5. Is the Devil Survivor series a good place to start? Would save me having to get a different console as I already have a 3DS, and it looks like an interesting premise.

SMT 4 is more like P5 to me, in that you're traveling dungeons and poo poo, but devil survivor is real good so if you prefer tactics games give it a go

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Ibblebibble posted:

Devil Survivor Overclocked was my first SMT game and it does a really good job of introducing you to MegaTen staples like the fighting system (in general, but in an SRPG context), the demons themselves, fusing, Tokyo catastrophes, demon phones, and gently caress You Bosses.

I put 90+ hours into it and I still wanna go back and play it more on a weekly basis. The music is so good and will be stuck in my head forever. And with a 3DS, you have access to a lot of SMT games, so get at it! :)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cool cool, good to know :) I assume the Survivor games can be played in either order?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Moltrey posted:

Yeah, it's really mean! I finally beat him after I remembered I had 10 Mazio stones and I got lucky with Blight missing sometimes. SMT's kinda the best when you're just loving skirting by the seat of your pants

You're about where I'm at. I think I'll take a detour to fuse up new demons since I'm still running some from mid-naraku and variety is the spice of life

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ibblebibble posted:

On 3DS you have:
  • The Etrian Odyssey games. They're not related to the Megaten franchise, but the old-school dungeon crawling and feast or famine nature of battles, along with the map-drawing reminds me a ton of the older Shin Megami Tensei I and II. There is a Persona game with a modified EO engine, but it's nothing to write home about.
  • Soul Hackers. The closest you'll get to truly old-school MegaTen. The game does show its age, but it's fairly entertaining.
  • Strange Journey. Was going to originally be SMT 4 but because it wasn't "Tokyo-centric", they decided to change the name. Really difficult and somewhat unfun at points, but overall still a solid experience. It's getting an Updated Re-release in late 2017 for the 3DS.
  • The Devil Survivor (or DeSu) games. As it's been mentioned: They're kinda Tactics / Fire Emblem type games, but they're both fun and both have updated re-releases, since they were originally NDS games. Story wise the first one is better but the second one has a better balance on gameplay / party balance.
  • The SMT 4 Duology (IV and Apocalypse). The 2 most recent mainline games. City and Dungeon crawling / Dumpster Diving. Apocalypse has a bunch of quality of life / balancing improvements on gameplay, but the story is not as fresh. While SMT IV, on the other hand, has a much less balanced gameplay, the "Kill or be Killed" nature of battles make for a really exhilarating experience, and the story is much better.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Cool cool, good to know :) I assume the Survivor games can be played in either order?

They are not dependent on each other, but I personally prefer 1 to 2

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Ibblebibble posted:

Play Devil Survivor Overclocked and then Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker in that order.

The only others who need to play in order are SMT4 and SMT4 Apocalypse, in that order.

I might play Soul Hackers before Strange Journey, but only bc Soul Hackers is a port of a Saturn game. Or, just wait to play Strange Journey when the 3DS re-release comes out in the West, which it probably will.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh good I went back to my save from New Year Eve and was able to get Ai, Yumi, and Sports Club done in time. Now I just need to get that drat sea guardian. The guardian in P5 was easier to catch and that had a annoying gimmick to get it to spawn there. Probably rather have that then constantly throwing the lure out and backing out because it just going to get a lovely tuna instead.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Lessail posted:

You're about where I'm at. I think I'll take a detour to fuse up new demons since I'm still running some from mid-naraku and variety is the spice of life
Yeah I just got to the bottom of Naraku. I've been fusing new stuff like every level, which I really don't remember ever doing in past SMT games. Currently using Gu Hu Niao/Moh Shuvuu/Hooligan
/

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I much preferred Devil Survivor 1 to 2, personally. But I didn't play either remastered edition, just the original releases, so that might change things for someone coming in for the first time.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Play 1 first because the QOL stuff in 2 makes going backwards harder.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I wish to play SMT 4 on the train an bus but when I peep amazon there are two versions. Regular and Apocalypse. This will be my first SMT game. Is there a reason not to go Apoc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Herr Tog posted:

I wish to play SMT 4 on the train an bus but when I peep amazon there are two versions. Regular and Apocalypse. This will be my first SMT game. Is there a reason not to go Apoc?

Final/Apocalypse is kind of a sequel but also takes place entirely within the endgame of exactly one route of IV. So, uh, yes there very kind of is.