Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
According to BioWare, the armor in Mass Effect 1 was supposed to look cheap and rubbery/plastic because they wanted to replicate the look and feel of the no-budget 70s and 80s sci-fi films and TV shows the production team had grown up watching. They did their job a little too well in recreating a visual style though, because everyone from Barbie on down is imitating them now.

Like, I'll go back and watch the Midnight Screening of Barbie: Starlight Adventure every now and again just because of the sheer what the gently caress'ed'ness of it and the spectacle of watching Brad and Brian trying to wrap their heads around why the willingly went to go see a Barbie movie, and I will always crack up when Brad goes "Man, Barbie got weird since I was a kid. Somewhere along the line, Mass Effect broke out!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
far as I know me1's space suit design was based on a then pretty new prototype space suit design that was meant to give you near earth like pressure without being a giant bloated balloon like the current space suits, they cut kind of an odd silhouette though kinda emphasising your gut and it didn't exactly look like harcore space armour

those designs on valerian look more based on the design they switched to with me2 and 3 which emphasised the shoulders and chest more and looked more heavily armoured

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Has anyone brought up Georg Rockall-Schmidt before? He does a lot of analyses and retrospectives on movies and such. These two are good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOUf9RIoDco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhtHJuEJBME

He has a lot of other type videos I haven't really got into yet, like these zero-punctuation-esque musings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg3rjzBUeLI

I've watched a couple of his vids and I've liked them. I don't know why he felt the need to make a "THIS IS WHY GHOSTBUSTERS 2016 FAILED", though. It's not like he's an MRAsshole, but the faults of that movie have been underlined so many times, why bother? It's like somebody doing yet another vid on why the SW prequels aren't up to snuff in 2017. I'd much rather hear from someone who could articulate why what I consider to be a C+/B- grade movie worked for them in a thoughtful way. It's why I'm interested in the oft-teased possibility of hbomb doing a rundown of the prequels. I'm a casual SW fan at best, but I couldn't sit through those things. I love hbomb's vids and it'd be interesting to get a new take on a trilogy from someone so skilled at balancing smart commentary with joke-'em-ups.

business hammocks posted:

Lindsay's latest Michael Bay video really provides the tools to understand the subjective experience of enduring the ordeal of a Michael Bay movie.

YES. I have no nostalgia for any iteration of Transformers, nor have I seen any of the movies in their entirety, but this is great stuff. Lindsay, The Whole Plate is great and you should feel plate great.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Man, Mass Effect is one of those things I just don't get. It is basically tailor made for me, I love RPGs, I love SciFi, but there is something about Bioware that I find just obnoxious.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Max Wilco posted:

The logos are similar in that they have the same 'swoop' cutting through them, though Valerian's logo seems to be rendered in 3D.

Like you said, armored space suits didn't originate with Mass Effect, but they seems pretty close to ones and ME, and I'd find it believable (though unlikely) that ME served as an inspiration in designing the space suits for the movie.

For reference, here's a piece of art from the original comics:

Honestly Bravest of the Lamps, if I were you, I'd just stop posting in the thread, because I think everyone's going to write you off regardless of what you post.

I... What are you trying to say with this post?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ko9mWdqW-M

Lessons from the Screenplay is chill and pretty well made. Don't see that specific clip if you don't want to get mayor spoilers for Ex Machina though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

adamcantsleep posted:

YES. I have no nostalgia for any iteration of Transformers, nor have I seen any of the movies in their entirety, but this is great stuff. Lindsay, The Whole Plate is great and you should feel plate great.

Most of what she has been covering since she started have been movies and shows I've not watched, either because I wasn't the right age for them at the time, or because despite what people say about US cultural hegemony, not everything big here gets as big overseas. The analysis, however, has always been really interesting (and the old gimmicks funny, although it's good that they remain in the past), more than enough to keep me coming back for more.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Is there somewhere I can rewatch The Bruno Mattei show? I remember those discussions being kinda fun.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lindsay's latest Michael Bay video really provides the tools to understand the subjective experience of enduring the ordeal of a Michael Bay movie. It's like a much, much better version of what Red Letter Media did way back when in explaining why the prequels were bad.

Lindsay has 100% eclipsed Red Letter Media. I'm really excited for the rest of the series.

Yeah, that's no surprise. Didn't Lindsay study this crap while Red Letter Media is just a bunch of nerds? Therey you have it. Lindsay is just one of the first internet critics who is actually a critic, not just someone snarky with too much time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just because you study something and have field experience doesn't discredit people who don't. Lindsay's videos are great, and so are RLM's, but it's not like they're competing with each other.

Also, while Baywatching is super fun, I am bummed that the show didn't stick with Current of Love as the outro music. None of Hasselhoff's other tracks cut it for me.
You gotta reeeeach out, take hold of my hand...

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 28, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RLM went to film school--that's why their great advantage against all the other internet critics was using screenwriting exercises to diagnose the problems with the prequels (describe Liam Neeson's character without naming his job or his clothes). They have actually made some movies and have lots of varied practical experience. They're very much of the Troma/Full Moon school.

Lindsay is probably the only USC film program graduate using her skills to talk about Michael Bay, though. A public intellectual for our times.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The only thing that is required of a good critic is to be able to articulate your opinions of a piece (and why you hold those opinions) well enough that an audience gets it. Technical knowledge is great, but not required, and there are plenty of untrained nerds who are, IMO, doing just fine as critics.

They may or may not have good opinions, but they're good at communicating those opinions.

Most critics online are lovely and dumb, but that's because most anything is lovely and dumb when there's low barrier of entry .

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

RLM went to film school--that's why their great advantage against all the other internet critics was using screenwriting exercises to diagnose the problems with the prequels (describe Liam Neeson's character without naming his job or his clothes). They have actually made some movies and have lots of varied practical experience. They're very much of the Troma/Full Moon school.

Lindsay is probably the only USC film program graduate using her skills to talk about Michael Bay, though. A public intellectual for our times.

Didn't know this about RLM, that's kind of neat!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gonna echo the praise for The Whole Plate. It's a very good critique and funny to boot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I actually really like Michael Bay and for a lot of reasons he's one of my favorite directors. The Rock is a goddamn classic film and Bad Boys 2 is legitimately insane. Is her video a "Michael Bay sucks" with flowery language? Or something interesting like the Every Frame of Painting?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CelticPredator posted:

I actually really like Michael Bay and for a lot of reasons he's one of my favorite directors. The Rock is a goddamn classic film and Bad Boys 2 is legitimately insane. Is her video a "Michael Bay sucks" with flowery language? Or something interesting like the Every Frame of Painting?

The premise of this series is taking Michael Bay, and specifically his Transformers movies, seriously as cinema and applying various critical theories to them. I didn't come out of what she's posted so far thinking that "Michael Bay sucks", even though I do actually personally not like most of his movies and don't care about Transformers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Libluini posted:

Didn't know this about RLM, that's kind of neat!

http://redlettermedia.com/films/

Young Rich was a looker before life happened to him. Thin Mike before the depression hit is pretty cute too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The premise of this series is taking Michael Bay, and specifically his Transformers movies, seriously as cinema and applying various critical theories to them. I didn't come out of what she's posted so far thinking that "Michael Bay sucks", even though I do actually personally not like most of his movies and don't care about Transformers.

Ah okay. Not that it bothers me that people poo poo on Bay, but it's just insanely easy to do, and kind of boring.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

She's definitely not saying they are good movies, in fact, the most recent video shows why the action seems so distracting and exhausting to watch.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Young Rich was a looker before life happened to him. Thin Mike before the depression hit is pretty cute too.

While Jay is getting cuter everyday :3:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My doctor has recently confirmed me as gay for jay and I have no reason to doubt their diagnosis.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYpeBKGOo7w

:allears:

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

CelticPredator posted:

Ah okay. Not that it bothers me that people poo poo on Bay, but it's just insanely easy to do, and kind of boring.

You should just watch the videos, they're good.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Lindsay seems like the kind of person who really likes to get into the nitty gritty of why a thing sucks, at least judging from her vids on Rent and Phantom.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jack, meanwhile, looks 20 years younger now that he got AIDS and all his hair fell out.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Sarcopenia posted:

I... What are you trying to say with this post?

:confused: I wasn't trying to say anything. Bravest of the Lamps said that the logo looked liked it was ripped off from Mass Effect. I hadn't heard anything about the movie up until now, so I looked it up, and I saw that the Valerian logo had the same 'swoop' cutting through it like the ME logo did (I don't know if 'swoop' is the proper name for it). Someone also said that the space suits were similar to Mass Effect, and that's what I thought when I first saw it. I'm not saying that Valerian ripped anything off from ME, I was just pointing out that logos and space suits are sort of reminiscent of each other.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Mokinokaro posted:

Plus (GotG 2 spoilers) It also really cements the Yondu = Peter's father theme.

Did the two characters involved turning to the audience and saying so not cement it enough?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

CelticPredator posted:

It's less about Bay being bad and more about why he made the Transformers movies the way they are. Which is bad

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Dark of the Moon and Age of Extinction are dope as gently caress.

Tired Moritz posted:

the transformers are the worst part in the michael bay transformer movies.

I don't think he's just that good at working with cg, because the movies just poo poo themselves whenever the robots start fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJl5piv1FrY

I think Michael Bay knows how to work with CGI just fine.

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 28, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
the transformers are the worst part in the michael bay transformer movies.

I don't think he's just that good at working with cg, because the movies just poo poo themselves whenever the robots start fighting.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Archer666 posted:

He's got the internet disease of looking really unkempt.

A terminal case.

As far as facial hair goes, I keep a beard because I like how it looks and because my skin hates razors. Last time I had a job where I needed to stay clean shaven it was hell, my face was perpetually itchy. But, yeah, it gets out of hand. You know how hockey players will grow a "playoff beard"? Well, I and my coworkers tend to grow a "production beard" which is just a cute excuse for the fact that when you're working 16 hour days for 21 days straight it can be a bit hard to keep up with the more intricate grooming. So I spend a month on a movie and end up with a month of growth, but don't bother to trim after that, so it just gets more and more out of hand because I'm, I dunno, lazy? I get these really weird fixations where my beard will get long and it's clearly a nightmare but I won't do anything about it. You look at it in the mirror and are like "let's see where this is going" and next thing you know you're Shridhar Chillal with fingernails that remember Elvis' entire career.

To make this less just about me, it's a semiotic thing: internet folx want to look the part. Since Kyle already called himself out on this in one of his own videos he's a handy example: his set, with all the books in the background, is explicit signalling that conveys message and tone. The books "mean" smartness. Most YouTubers end up in the same position as my, visually, for all the same reasons: they're kinda lazy and unkempt to start, and the environment they are in does little to incentivize changing that. While it's definitely hit a point where people are noticing it, to the vast audience it simply signals accessibility and that down-home-earthy I'm Just Like You (Or Some Idealized Version Thereof). That's why even the YouTubers who are running a professional outfit with, like, a stylist and everything still dress down. As much as those who are interested in YouTube-as-subject may notice trends like that, in the same way that we notice the trend of nerd reviewers setting up a wall of memorabilia as a backdrop, the signified messages are still there.

The closest thing to counter-pressure is actually the pervasiveness itself: as YouTubers become more and more homogenous (which happens shockingly quickly on YT) then doing Something Else becomes a means of standing out from the crowd. Hell, there's no clearer example of that than another favourite subject of this thread: gimmicks. The TGWTG style gimmicks started as differentiation (hell, it's part of why I invented Foldy) but rapidly got so out of hand (and simultaneously derivative) that having a gimmick became, itself, a symbol of homogeneity rather than distinction, and now we're in a phase where dropping the gimmick actually does more to help you stand out. So in that regard I suspect we're definitely hitting the threshold where Doesn't Look Like a Hobo becomes a distinguishing factor.

I actually spent a bunch of time this week looking at my wardrobe because I kinda really don't like it at the moment: I think the various plaid shirts are overplayed and as much as I love my Decepticon shirt, I want to move away from straight t-shirts as a 'costume'.

TL;DR :words:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

RLM went to film school--that's why their great advantage against all the other internet critics was using screenwriting exercises to diagnose the problems with the prequels (describe Liam Neeson's character without naming his job or his clothes).

On the other hand I remember that very criticism feeling pretty bullshit when I watched it. Even as a perfectly stupid person, who hasn't seen Phantom Menace since about when it released when I was 9, I could easily mention several things. He was clearly a dogmatic character, who struggled with having his philosophy and principles questioned by the situation he found himself in regarding Anakin. Indeed his character frequently showed a very open mind and a lot of level-headedness whenever he dealt with a new person or situation like the Gungans or the whole Tatooine situation. He showed a lot of responsibility and kindness in how he interacted with both Anakin and Obi-Wan. He was perhaps not a natural leader but one that could do the job very effectively when asked to and didn't shy away from it. Etc, etc, this is just poo poo that popped into my mind now, 20 years and 75% of my life later. I can't even really remember any of his dialogue. Also his hair was bitchin'

I think the prequels are pretty bad (there were much worse things than Qui Gon in there...) but I also disagreed with a huge number of their complaints either outright or because I thought their rose-tinted glasses for the original movies were massive and they did no better.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

FoldableHuman posted:

To make this less just about me, it's a semiotic thing: internet folx want to look the part. Since Kyle already called himself out on this in one of his own videos he's a handy example: his set, with all the books in the background, is explicit signalling that conveys message and tone. The books "mean" smartness. Most YouTubers end up in the same position as my, visually, for all the same reasons: they're kinda lazy and unkempt to start, and the environment they are in does little to incentivize changing that. While it's definitely hit a point where people are noticing it, to the vast audience it simply signals accessibility and that down-home-earthy I'm Just Like You (Or Some Idealized Version Thereof). That's why even the YouTubers who are running a professional outfit with, like, a stylist and everything still dress down. As much as those who are interested in YouTube-as-subject may notice trends like that, in the same way that we notice the trend of nerd reviewers setting up a wall of memorabilia as a backdrop, the signified messages are still there.

I do think that's better to dress casual when you're trying to appeal to the youtube community. Dressing all fancy like for a movie review isn't exactly the right tone you want to give out nowadays. Makes you look stuffy and snobbish. I will say that your style of dress in your videos do give you a more friendly vibe to me, so whatever you're doing, either intentionally or not, is at least working on me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wonder if there's a parallel evolutionary history of those stupid static cartoon images the racist woman-hater youtube CHUDs all use. It's a great shorthand for knowing what to avoid if there's like a cartoon dog with a tophat and monocle in the preview image for a two-hour long video titled "western women and the university: a response" or something.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think they probably do it because they're lazy shits with such low self esteem that they can't bear to watch themselves while editing.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
For someone who doesn't know anything about film theory or the conventions of filming a movie, the Whole Plate is very interesting because Lindsay explains why. When she explained continuity of action it was a real "ohhhhhh" moment.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

FoldableHuman posted:

That's something I tried to purposefully work against in my own stuff. I guess when you build a viewer base out of making fun of people trying to find ways to signal smartness without actually having anything interesting to say, it becomes very difficult to say 'but me, I'm being authentic' because, in having to say that, you're being inauthentic.

My solution was to embrace artifice and make my behaviour so utterly obviously a silly persona that it ends up accurately reflecting the different, but real emotions that went into it. That doesn't work with everyone though. There's a fairly sharp divide between people who think I'm very mad about Fallout 3, so much so that it makes me scream, and people who 'get' that the shouting sections are comedy hyperbole intending to be an entertaining reflection of the actual criticisms.

I think the puppet solution is kind of beautiful. It's thematically perfect. It's both the most objective idea of a character, scrubbed of human problems like hygiene or human beauty standards leaving pure aesthetics and purpose, acting entirely as it is required to, and the most subjective one, a literal construction by a person and their ideas.

That's my favourite part of the 'plot' of A Red Pill. It begins in this imagination-space filled with outdated ideas and swords, meant to imply these people believe these things as their world is literally decorated with them, but as it progresses it becomes increasingly clear it's all just a set, built for the purpose of performance to outsiders - no-one actually possesses these ideals, most of all the people who have to put all that effort into telling you they do.

Sorry I think about this too much and that stream about internet persona is still rolling around in my head

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I hear what you're saying and I think we all support you transitioning into a Sonic The Hedgehog.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MariusLecter posted:

I hear what you're saying and I think we all support you transitioning into a Sonic The Hedgehog.

Yeah, it's okay if you're hooked on Sonic! :v:

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

MariusLecter posted:

I think we can all agree that seeing Hbomb, as sonic, being used by The Golden one as an example of an inferior male was one of the best moments in internet video history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You are but a hedgehog and I am your Robotnik.

• Locked thread