Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black King Conga
Mar 30, 2011
Hey goons, just wondering which apps you guys use for wallpapers or icons? Just returned to Android and was looking to spice up the look of my phone. What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm a big fan of Tapet:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sharpregion.tapet

It generates wallpapers automatically based shape and color patterns, so it has a small footprint and doesn't require an internet connection.

Black King Conga
Mar 30, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm a big fan of Tapet:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sharpregion.tapet

It generates wallpapers automatically based shape and color patterns, so it has a small footprint and doesn't require an internet connection.

This seems like a nice app. Cheers!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I've been using the balx icon pack for a long time now

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...CMYLKmwGlnabIBg

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There's also the official Google Wallpapers app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.wallpaper

And if you're interested in Pixel launcher-style icons, check out this icon pack: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.themezilla.pixelui

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Black King Conga posted:

Hey goons, just wondering which apps you guys use for wallpapers or icons? Just returned to Android and was looking to spice up the look of my phone. What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

I like Alien Shapes. Random live abstract wallpapers in random colours, that orbit when you swipe.

Anyway, I've also just returned to using Android as my main phone (Pixel), and I'm looking for a good podcast app. Any recommendations? One with voice control would be great for when I'm driving, but that might be too much to hope for.

Black King Conga
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll give these ones a go!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Flopstick posted:

I like Alien Shapes. Random live abstract wallpapers in random colours, that orbit when you swipe.

Anyway, I've also just returned to using Android as my main phone (Pixel), and I'm looking for a good podcast app. Any recommendations? One with voice control would be great for when I'm driving, but that might be too much to hope for.

Pocket Casts, BeyondPod, or Podcast Addict.

Personally I love Pocket Casts.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Pocket Casts has been the best podcast app I've had. Though I no longer sync across devices so I don't know how well that works, I just use my Pixel for everything.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't care for podcast addict or pocket cast. I don't want to have to memorize what pic goes to what podcast. I'd rather see a text list of the podcast names.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

RandomPauI posted:

I don't care for podcast addict or pocket cast. I don't want to have to memorize what pic goes to what podcast. I'd rather see a text list of the podcast names.

You can do that in Podcast Addict. (Podcasts-Display Settings-Display Mode)

I would also like to thank the recommendations for background generators!

Is there a better version of Bluetooth Connect and Play that will stop everything on my phone from trying to play when it connects to my car? BC&P kills Android Auto and keeps killing stuff even after the ten seconds or however long. Oh, to just be able to tell my phone STOP PLAYING THINGS.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Pocket Casts also has a serviceable website that syncs with your devices too. No queuing yet, though that's supposed to come in the 2.0 version someday. Variable speed is in there though which is fantastic. 1.5x speed and silence trimming have saved me a ton of time without impacting the quality of the podcasts. It does also require a small one time fee.

But it's really nice if you want to listen on phone and computer and keep everything nicely synced like I do.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 28, 2017

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I had a LAN share set up between my Windows 10 desktop and my phone using Solid Explorer, and it's worked pretty well. Until I tried to access it today after not using it for a couple weeks, and the phone couldn't connect. I tried recreating the connection a few times, but no luck. Does anyone know what might be going on and how to troubleshoot it beyond randomly trying different combinations of email, email without @gmail.com, and my name?

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Thanks for the recs - Pocket Casts seems good enough for me (though God drat it, I want voice control for all this stuff one day.)

e; f/up question removed - new launcher solved it.

Flopstick fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 29, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the podcast addict tip.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Pocket Casts has this auto queue feature where it automatically adds the new episodes of a certain podcast to the top or to the bottom of the playback queue. However, this feature seems to not care whether the episode was actually downloaded and can be played. This leads to an annoying situation where Pocket Casts simply stops the playback when reaching the unplayable episode requiring the user to manually skip it and play the next one. How can I set it up so Pocket Casts doesn't add the unplayable episodes to the queue?

I sent this question to developers a few months ago, they said they would consider doing something about it. Two updates later it's still happening.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ringu0 posted:

Pocket Casts has this auto queue feature where it automatically adds the new episodes of a certain podcast to the top or to the bottom of the playback queue. However, this feature seems to not care whether the episode was actually downloaded and can be played. This leads to an annoying situation where Pocket Casts simply stops the playback when reaching the unplayable episode requiring the user to manually skip it and play the next one. How can I set it up so Pocket Casts doesn't add the unplayable episodes to the queue?

I sent this question to developers a few months ago, they said they would consider doing something about it. Two updates later it's still happening.

This is going to be a dumb question because I've used Pocket Casts for years, but how do you see the playback queue? If it's just another filter like the ones that appear in the hamburger menu, you can simply go into ⋮, Filter settings, Download status and change it to Downloaded only. Looking at their Help section it would appear this is possible but I've never used the playback queue.

Next option would be to go into the global settings, Playback, and allow mobile data for streaming (bottom option).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
To see the Up Next page you swipe left on the Now Playing page. Right gives you Show Notes. There doesn't seem to be a way to access filter settings for it, as it appears to be it's own thing.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

LastInLine posted:

This is going to be a dumb question because I've used Pocket Casts for years, but how do you see the playback queue? If it's just another filter like the ones that appear in the hamburger menu, you can simply go into ⋮, Filter settings, Download status and change it to Downloaded only. Looking at their Help section it would appear this is possible but I've never used the playback queue.

Next option would be to go into the global settings, Playback, and allow mobile data for streaming (bottom option).

Apologies, I wasn't using the right terminology.

To access what I called playback queue, and what Pocket Casts developers call Up Next, you need to access Now Playing page, and then swipe left:

DemonMage posted:

To see the Up Next page you swipe left on the Now Playing page. Right gives you Show Notes. There doesn't seem to be a way to access filter settings for it, as it appears to be it's own thing.

I don't really want to allow mobile data streaming, as it would eat into my data allowance, but this really seems to be the only way.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ringu0 posted:

I don't really want to allow mobile data streaming, as it would eat into my data allowance, but this really seems to be the only way.

How often are coming across undownloaded podcasts though? If it's automatically downloading at home on wifi, it should only happen when you're both at the bottom of your playlist AND they've published a new episode since you left the house. If they're doing that every day, stop automatically adding it to the playback queue. A 90 minute audio podcast shouldn't be much more than 20-30MB which isn't much at all for the very few times a month I'd have to imagine it happens.

I'll admit I have unlimited data and stopped caring about stuff like this a long time ago but even when I did it was extremely rare for me to be in a position where I couldn't either wait to download or really had to sweat a one time mobile download.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LastInLine posted:

How often are coming across undownloaded podcasts though? If it's automatically downloading at home on wifi, it should only happen when you're both at the bottom of your playlist AND they've published a new episode since you left the house. If they're doing that every day, stop automatically adding it to the playback queue. A 90 minute audio podcast shouldn't be much more than 20-30MB which isn't much at all for the very few times a month I'd have to imagine it happens.

I'll admit I have unlimited data and stopped caring about stuff like this a long time ago but even when I did it was extremely rare for me to be in a position where I couldn't either wait to download or really had to sweat a one time mobile download.

You're aware that some podcasts are hosted on janky-rear end servers, right? That's probably the sort of problem he's encountering, and you can hardly do much to fix that on the listener's end.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

fishmech posted:

You're aware that some podcasts are hosted on janky-rear end servers, right? That's probably the sort of problem he's encountering, and you can hardly do much to fix that on the listener's end.

Somewhere I got the idea that PocketCasts re-hosted podcasts...but I don't really know if thats true.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thermopyle posted:

Somewhere I got the idea that PocketCasts re-hosted podcasts...but I don't really know if thats true.

PocketCasts may rehost some podcasts, but they don't rehost all of them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fishmech posted:

Could be, we just don't know. I also don't know if or how often Pocket Casts retries to download something that fails to download once reconnected to wifi (though in years of use it never failed to do so by the time I left for work the next day).

I guess if I was having that much trouble getting it to reliably download then I probably wouldn't add it to the queue to automatically play. That's probably why I was asking the question about how often he was encountering it because I never have personally.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

LastInLine posted:

It can happen daily. Apparently CBS Evening News and The Marketplace push their evening updates around the time I leave office, so I'm stuck with an unplayable podcast episode in my Up Next queue until I get home. I have no idea why Pocket Casts picks the updates, but doesn't download them right away, but it looks like this is exactly what's happening, because when I check the queue before leaving, usually there is an undownloaded episode of the latest Trump shenanigans sitting pretty waiting for something.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thermopyle posted:

fishmech posted:

PocketCasts may rehost some podcasts, but they don't rehost all of them.

According to the devs, they don't re-host any podcasts.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
What is the name of the app that everybody recommends for exchange email that keeps the company from wiping your entire phone?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What is the name of the app that everybody recommends for exchange email that keeps the company from wiping your entire phone?

Nine is the one that's most recommended. A bit expensive for an email app, but worth it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Nine is really good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nine is great and it's one of the most constantly updated and improved apps on my phone. Just this morning I was noticing a nice UI tweak in my message list.

They will turn around an update to fix compatibility issues with a new Google Beta Program drop in under 24 hours.

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

Winter Rose posted:

Any suggestions for an Android equivalent to the iPhone's Wallet app?

Anyone? This is the only thing I really miss from my old iPhone.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a media player app that natively works with Chromecast? Right now I need to screenshare my entire phone to use VLC Player, which is a less-than-ideal set-up since I can't use my phone.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a media player app that natively works with Chromecast? Right now I need to screenshare my entire phone to use VLC Player, which is a less-than-ideal set-up since I can't use my phone.

Actually, you can. VLC does some weird voodoo magic that lets you hit the home button and it keeps casting your video. You just can't turn the screen off.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Winter Rose posted:

Anyone? This is the only thing I really miss from my old iPhone.

Maybe explain what the iPhone Wallet app is, and what you want to replicate, instead of assuming that all of us in the Android apps thread are familiar with all things iPhone.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I usually just stream everything from my PC with Plex but AllCast might work

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Maybe explain what the iPhone Wallet app is, and what you want to replicate, instead of assuming that all of us in the Android apps thread are familiar with all things iPhone.

Oh yeah, duh :downs: I mostly use it to store airplane e-tickets and stuff like that for easy code scanning at the gate.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Winter Rose posted:

Oh yeah, duh :downs: I mostly use it to store airplane e-tickets and stuff like that for easy code scanning at the gate.

I use Passbook for that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Allo is finally feature complete!

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/05/31/allo-selfie-clips/

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

pretty cute to be honest and its stuff like this I'm happy to see added so my family can try to peel themselves away from snapchat.

still need the desktop client :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The pitiful features of allo aren't going to drag anyone from anything. The only people who use it are Google diehards and the small number of people they dragged with them. Everything else does everything better.