Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jinder Mahal

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

No Irish Need Imply posted:

It seems slightly pronounced in Asuka but not at all in Shinsuke.

To properly say both, you're supposed to briefly make the mouth movement for the u, but not the sound.

Also don't go by what English commentators say if that's what you're listening to. If there's a difference in how the wrestlers actually say it, it might be because Asuka has a relatively pronounced Osaka accent.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Rightfully hiding the spinner belt.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

were the ones rock and austin are holding really that huge or is this a poor photoshop job

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Mr. No Dose Off!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

WrasslorMonkey posted:

You can look up Japanese whispered vowels to learn more. I couldn't really figure out a consistent way to know when a vowel is "whispered" when I looked into it once.

:eng101: Near vowels are voiceless in between voiceless consonants.

So the U in Shinsuke goes whispered because the S and K are voiceless, but it would be voiced in Shinzuke, Shinsuge, or Shinzuge

The confusion comes from how mush-mouthed humans are with vowels. (e.g. We think we have 5 of them in English, but we actually have closer to 13. We treat some of them as equivalent while knowing intuitively that they're not and "sound wrong" even when technically following the layman's understanding. And some noises we hear as the "same" noise, where other languages draw an important distinction)
Near vowels are when the tongue is high in the mouth, but not high enough to block the passage of air and form a consonant. In Japanese this typically means what are written in Roman characters as "I" and "U", but sometimes for common words the vowels are dropped or rounded over time, and we lose the clear delineation.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Mr. No Dose Off!

lol

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

were the ones rock and austin are holding really that huge or is this a poor photoshop job

Austin's is definitely a bad 'shop.

Also, that is the lulziest promo pic ever for not including Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

sticklefifer posted:

To properly say both, you're supposed to briefly make the mouth movement for the u, but not the sound.

Also don't go by what English commentators say if that's what you're listening to. If there's a difference in how the wrestlers actually say it, it might be because Asuka has a relatively pronounced Osaka accent.

See also: Yah-kuza vs weird pro wrestling pronunciation Ya-kooza

Every drat time a Yakuza kick is used.

Also Darren Young is clearly not a marketable force enough to be pushed. At least that jacked up bland dude won't be main champion. Did they even move him to Smackdown?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
If the WWE really wants to expand into India, why not give a developmental contract to that legitimate women's wrestler who won like, their only medal (completely unexpectedly, I might add) the country had at the olympics?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakshi_Malik

Also their only decorated female wrestler ever. So there's that.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Veryslightlymad posted:

If the WWE really wants to expand into India, why not give a developmental contract to that legitimate women's wrestler who won like, their only medal (completely unexpectedly, I might add) the country had at the olympics?

Height: 162 cm (5 ft 4 in) (2016)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Height: 162 cm (5 ft 4 in) (2016)

That's pretty normal for WWE's women wrestlers.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Veryslightlymad posted:

"Wow you are going to pay me jackshit to do something stupid that no one in my country likes and give up future Olympic ambitions? Sign me up!"

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

But you see everybody wants to work for the WWE! It's an honor to work there and they really shouldn't pay fair wages for the talent...

Honest question - What would wrestler potentially be paid if they had an MLB like sports union back in the 70's?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nothing, the company would have folded.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

It owns that this can never be undone

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

MassRafTer posted:

"Wow you are going to pay me jackshit to do something stupid that no one in my country likes and give up future Olympic ambitions? Sign me up!"

She'll be 28 when the next olympics rolls around. Take the lovely payday.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Cubone posted:

Ah, so maybe I just didn't understand what the hell voiceless meant.

Also, has the WWE no-juicing policy become the WWE only-jobbers-can-juice policy?

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Ah, so maybe I just didn't understand what the hell voiceless meant.

Also, has the WWE no-juicing policy become the WWE only-jobbers-can-juice policy?

The Wellness Policy says they randomly test 4 times a year and if it's anything like pro-sports you know the test is coming a mile away, so it probably isn't hard to dodge at all. Perfect time to cycle off for a minute so you don't get hosed up balls like Ryback I guess.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Accident Underwater posted:

The Wellness Policy says they randomly test 4 times a year and if it's anything like pro-sports you know the test is coming a mile away, so it probably isn't hard to dodge at all. Perfect time to cycle off for a minute so you don't get hosed up balls like Ryback I guess.

Jesus i thought it would at least be once a month, after seeing the jinder push everyone is going to do roids

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Imagine how stupid you have to be to get caught.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Veryslightlymad posted:

She'll be 28 when the next olympics rolls around. Take the lovely payday.

She's made more just from amateur wrestling than a wrestler could hope for in ten years of developmental. There's also World Championships next year.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Cubone posted:

So the U in Shinsuke goes whispered because the S and K are voiceless, but it would be voiced in Shinzuke, Shinsuge, or Shinzuge

The confusion comes from how mush-mouthed humans are with vowels. (e.g. We think we have 5 of them in English, but we actually have closer to 13. We treat some of them as equivalent while knowing intuitively that they're not and "sound wrong" even when technically following the layman's understanding. And some noises we hear as the "same" noise, where other languages draw an important distinction)
Near vowels are when the tongue is high in the mouth, but not high enough to block the passage of air and form a consonant. In Japanese this typically means what are written in Roman characters as "I" and "U", but sometimes for common words the vowels are dropped or rounded over time, and we lose the clear delineation.
This, along with many other responses, was very helpful and informative. Thank you.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Accident Underwater posted:

IIRC Ryback admitted TUE's for roids were granted under the Wellness Policy especially because of his hosed up balls so lol Jinder.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Imagine how stupid you have to be to get caught.

*adds dumb af to the list of roman's crimes*

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Petit Gregory posted:

IIRC Ryback admitted TUE's for roids were granted under the Wellness Policy especially because of his hosed up balls so lol Jinder.

Ryback has hosed up balls? Tell me more

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I just looked into it and there was a testicle researcher in the 80s named RS Ryback

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Ryback has hosed up balls? Tell me more

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2016/1011/618299/ryback-talks-past-steroid-use/

quote:

According to Ryback, he used testosterone and steroids five years before his WWE run. Supposedly, the treatments shut his body down and his testosterone levels dropped significantly, which allowed him to receive testosterone replacement therapy during his time with the company.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
I assume they're aesthetically hosed up too but I can't be sure without further investigation

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Two marbles and a golf pencil

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I remember the Big Guy saying he spends too much time training to have a girlfriend and I just figured that meant testicular atrophy

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Jinder should follow Ryback's lead and legally change his name to Therapeutic Use Exemption Mahal

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

all this time and it turns out the key to getting past the wellness policy is to do enough steroids that it destroys your balls

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Jesus i thought it would at least be once a month, after seeing the jinder push everyone is going to do roids

It's funny that you don't think everyone is already doing roids.

Wasn't there a whole thing about how they know when tests are coming and everyone just cycles off a few days prior?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

is this real

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

dean ambrose should take steroids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost