Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

quote:

Q: For the new jobs, will there be new weapons and gear added from existing content such as primal fights, raids, and Allagan tomestone equipment?

A: Allagan tomestones of esoterics, lore, and scripture gear will also include gear for the new jobs. These previous tomestone exchangeable gear will be available via poetics.
Additionally, equipment will be added to dungeons post level 51, and trials such as Nidhogg, and Alexander. And of course, we have prepared weapons with the added visual effect for the new jobs as well. Coil, Anima and Zodiac weapons will not be added.

From the most recent live letter.

Edit: e;fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
in fact, here's the primal Katanas (no rdm rapiers though), as well as the storm/serpent/flame katanas

http://imgur.com/a/ZiOdM

this one is my favorite

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The levi katana is a lightsaber, that's cool

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Holy poo poo, I thought you guys were kidding about how serious some people are taking the Jump Potion thing. I never really hang out on Twitch, but I saw a FFXIV radio show on there and decided to check it out. One dude is so incensed by the idea of a Jump Potion that his logical conclusion is that FFXIV will be F2P followed by it becoming P2W sooner rather than later.

I get that hardcore guys are upset that some casual players are going to suddenly jump toward their position. I don't totally feel the same way, but I understand some of their points. This stuff is nuts though. I'm not making GBS threads on the podcast or anything, but it's seriously blowing my mind to hear this. There is some serious salt goin around.

https://www.twitch.tv/limitbreakradio

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

oh i somehow missed that. i am excited as gently caress. must collect them all.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Yeah Im kinda banking on them adding alex weapons cause Im sitting on 8 pages so I can get a sick creator weapon and be a cool dude who does good damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought you guys were kidding about how serious some people are taking the Jump Potion thing. I never really hang out on Twitch, but I saw a FFXIV radio show on there and decided to check it out. One dude is so incensed by the idea of a Jump Potion that his logical conclusion is that FFXIV will be F2P followed by it becoming P2W sooner rather than later.

I get that hardcore guys are upset that some casual players are going to suddenly jump toward their position. I don't totally feel the same way, but I understand some of their points. This stuff is nuts though. I'm not making GBS threads on the podcast or anything, but it's seriously blowing my mind to hear this. There is some serious salt goin around.

https://www.twitch.tv/limitbreakradio

I like the idea that 'getting to level 60 without grinding" is "Pay to win."

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Countblanc posted:

in fact, here's the primal Katanas (no rdm rapiers though), as well as the storm/serpent/flame katanas

http://imgur.com/a/ZiOdM

this one is my favorite

Oh, hell yes. I am all over that Serpent Elite katana. I love that scabbards stay visible. Paladin swords should get more scabbards, too. The Garo sword has one, but it just changes to the blade when you start fighting.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SonicRulez posted:

I don't know any hardcore guys that have issue with it. The opinions I hear are along the lines of:

1 - I can boost an alt to help raiding
2 - I can convince my friends from WoW to get into the end-game and they can't complain about having to go through everything else

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ImpAtom posted:

I like the idea that 'getting to level 60 without grinding" is "Pay to win."

He clung to his point, but pretty much everyone told him that was some bullshit. A serious leap in logic.

The conclusion of the current speakers is that Stormblood is going to be incredibly disrespectful to veteran players by catering exclusively to casuals. Which is weird for me to hear, cause I don't know where I fall in this. I've been playing for over a year now and have SB pre-ordered and play it a lot. So I can't be a casual. But I haven't been around since 1.0 or anything, so I can't say I'm a vet.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

This is as casual a baby MMO as it comes, those people are fooling themselves

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Whoever is talking during this is trying really desperately to do a radio voice.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The idea of respecting veteran players at the expense of casual players is a really stupid idea and it is how you end up with a game that no one plays. If it was designed that way then anytime someone dropped off for a bit they would just stop playing because they knew they wouldn't be able to catch up. Sometimes you need to reset the floor and put people back to a similar playing field.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

slev posted:

Whoever is talking during this is trying really desperately to do a radio voice.

I clicked to check out, and was greeted with a Lala's rear end while hearing a conversation on weebs and hentai collections. And now someone's super mad about Wrestlemania and marketing. Like, I don't think I've been that mad about anything.

E: Haha, now he's bitching about his chat and his viewers.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 28, 2017

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Why are you all listening to Limit Break Radio? It is like the Alex Jones of FFXIV discussion.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Wonder Turbine posted:

Why are you all listening to Limit Break Radio? It is like the Alex Jones of FFXIV discussion.

is a description like that supposed to make me not want to listen to it

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Sorry, it was just one of those train wrecks I couldn't look away from. Just something magnetic about a couple of dudes in their late 20's screaming in impotent rage at casuals or whatever their argument was. It was just a lot of hyperbole and the word 'disrespect.'

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Wonder Turbine posted:

Christ I used to listen to this a few months ago, haven't caught up but holy crap is that a good analogy... I like how all the chat basically disagrees with him though which shows me that there is some loving sanity at least

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm just sorta bored at work and was looking for something to listen to. The idea of a radio show about FFXIV sounded neat. Now that I've listened for longer than a minute, I just want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes. My man threw shade at the Stormblood stuff at Wrestlemania which is exactly enough to make my "Wrong Forever" list. If you don't want to see The New Day as a SAM, RDM, and literally Kefka, can you even live a happy life?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Wonder Turbine posted:

Not true, Alex Jones' crazy was once entertaining. These dudes have probably always been terrible.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

"I am beginning to appreciate Tanaka"

all right that's me out

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The funniest part is that they are salty about SE not respecting vets yet none of them seem to admit to playing 1.0

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I clicked in for about 30 seconds and they were all dumbstruck at some guy calling in to say that there's huge demand for single-button consolidated combos in PvE and this is why it's bad to "cater to casuals."

Have something better that happened today.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
"casual" and "hardcore" are really my favorite words because they mean whatever the speaker wants them to mean, and if you know your audience you just have to know which one is the Bad Guy and people will fill in the rest with whatever is most incriminating.

is a "hardcore player" someone who logs in 8 hours a day but never does anything other than run EXDR and idle at their house? is it someone who is really mean in LLDR but plays poorly? what about someone who plays 3 hours, twice a week to raid and basically not at all otherwise? a person who has every job at max level but hasn't ever stepped into Savage?

basically any of those could be used to describe a "casual player" too. if you're only talking about time played then the "every job at 60 with 270 gear that never raids" person is as hardcore as it gets but the savage raider who only logs in to raid comfortably sits in the casual department. is it about skill? attitude? willingness to do mindless grinds? number of chocobo race wins? who knows! all i know is that i'm comfortably hardcore/casual, and hate hardcores/casuals.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Gumball Gumption posted:

Not true, Alex Jones' crazy was once entertaining. These dudes have probably always been terrible.

I made the mistake of really trying them out at a time that I was desperate for FFXIV podcast content and their negativity was something to behold. I felt like I was playing a completely different game. And, well, they're not exactly guys I feel like I have much in common with beyond this game.

I *am* still desperate for a good podcast or two that covers FFXIV. Are there any worth actually trying that still create content regularly?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

I made the mistake of really trying them out at a time that I was desperate for FFXIV podcast content and their negativity was something to behold. I felt like I was playing a completely different game. And, well, they're not exactly guys I feel like I have much in common with beyond this game.

I *am* still desperate for a good podcast or two that covers FFXIV. Are there any worth actually trying that still create content regularly?

I think MrHappy does one, but there's only so much of him that I can take

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Memnaelar posted:

I will admit with no shame that I listen to Mr. Happy's podcasts. Generally upbeat and just random talk about the game, and the guests are usually pretty good too.

Xenosys's podcast Unchained is rare but I like it. It's pretty progression raider oriented, and a lot of his videos really front with a hardcore elitist persona, but the podcast itself feels a lot more friendly. It still all sticks to his style though, so I can see that being a huge turnoff to a lot of people. Still, the amount of detail they go into is pretty unrivaled.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Countblanc posted:

"casual" and "hardcore" are really my favorite words because they mean whatever the speaker wants them to mean, and if you know your audience you just have to know which one is the Bad Guy and people will fill in the rest with whatever is most incriminating.

is a "hardcore player" someone who logs in 8 hours a day but never does anything other than run EXDR and idle at their house? is it someone who is really mean in LLDR but plays poorly? what about someone who plays 3 hours, twice a week to raid and basically not at all otherwise? a person who has every job at max level but hasn't ever stepped into Savage?

basically any of those could be used to describe a "casual player" too. if you're only talking about time played then the "every job at 60 with 270 gear that never raids" person is as hardcore as it gets but the savage raider who only logs in to raid comfortably sits in the casual department. is it about skill? attitude? willingness to do mindless grinds? number of chocobo race wins? who knows! all i know is that i'm comfortably hardcore/casual, and hate hardcores/casuals.

A casual is objectively anyone who plays the game without playing dress-up, regardless of how they spend their joyless, unfashionable time.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
listed in order of quality

Xeno's Unchained - hard to say if it really counts as it has a grand total of 3 episodes in like a year, but actually talks about poo poo I care about which is mostly raiding and class balance from that perspective. Very tell it like it is, but very much comes from the raiding mindset of "these things are the best and if you're not doing it you're trash." Undeniably knows what he's talking about in most cases though.

Mr. Happy's State of the Realm - Comes out regularly and is generally the best source if you wanna hear people talk about what's currently happening in ffxiv. Happy's cohost is a moron but Happy himself and his regular guests are all pretty knowledgeable about whatever they're talking about.

FrostyTV's Mogtalk - Covers a lot of topics but generally keeps to one topic per show, so it can be pretty hit or miss depending on what you're interested in. Always has very knowledgeable and a wide range of guests from the community (sometimes including Xeno and Happy), but sometimes the subjects are obviously out of Frosty's depth and can make for tedious listening.

Limit Break Radio - Hosted by a bunch of fucknuts that played XI and wish the XIV was XI-2. They have a bunch of great ideas like the duty finder as a concept being a horrible idea that destroys the community and believe that yoship is the great satan sent to ruin their game and deliver it unto the casual scum. Only listen to this ironically or if you wanna hear the hosts get loving owned by one of their callers which probably happens once an episode.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
FF 14 is a cool and good game and i am excited that there might be more players

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Velthice posted:

Limit Break Radio - Hosted by a bunch of fucknuts that played XI and wish the XIV was XI-2. They have a bunch of great ideas like the duty finder as a concept being a horrible idea that destroys the community and believe that yoship is the great satan sent to ruin their game and deliver it unto the casual scum. Only listen to this ironically or if you wanna hear the hosts get loving owned by one of their callers which probably happens once an episode.
I think you just sold me on this one. All the others sound like kind of a chore to listen to, whether I care about the subject matter or not.

BrightWing posted:

FF 14 is a cool and good game and i am excited that there might be more players
:same:

vvv: A friend of mine who loved XI and couldn't bear XIV bemoaned the fact that you don't have to waste tons of time scaring up a group and spending forever killing stuff with them since you never get to know your neighbors, so to speak. I can appreciate the sentiment, but come on, it's still an MMO community, you can't be missing out on that much.

Meldonox fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 29, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Velthice posted:

They have a bunch of great ideas like the duty finder as a concept being a horrible idea that destroys the community

This actually made me laugh out loud in a public space. What in the entire gently caress. How do you reach this conclusion? I can't imagine how much of a dick I would feel like putting up a PF for Sastasha. Or only playing if I can scramble up 3-7 mates that also have my play schedule. Even in the cross-goon linkshell and on the Discord there's no guarantee that I always have a goon squad on deck.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

This actually made me laugh out loud in a public space. What in the entire gently caress. How do you reach this conclusion? I can't imagine how much of a dick I would feel like putting up a PF for Sastasha. Or only playing if I can scramble up 3-7 mates that also have my play schedule. Even in the cross-goon linkshell and on the Discord there's no guarantee that I always have a goon squad on deck.

Well, see, you should have to stand around in one of the main cities, shouting for people who want to come with you to Sastasha, and then you have to walk to the entrance to start the dungeon. You'll get to know the players on the sever better that way and know who is good and who should be blackballed for being poo poo DPS or stealing loot or whatever.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

We did that in older MMOs and it did build community on the server but made all content a game of sitting in capital cities with unlinked chat and spamming for members and invites. I don't miss it, but it moss ways to know my server better. It mean, if half of cactus hadn't transferred to gilgamesh.

I miss the original wow realm forums for that reason. Cactusr has a Facebook group that gets salty at least

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

There's also the weekly Speakers of Hydaelyn podcast (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2BQVHKP5x3Cs62MB0DF5EQ). Most of their podcasts spend the first half talking about how they haven't actually played the game that week, and the second half usually involves them complaining that FFXIV doesn't have a game world with no loading zones. They're also the same guys doing the Remnants of a Realm videos.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

You folks have largely convinced me there should be no FFXIV podcasts.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

nuru posted:

You folks have largely convinced me there should be no FFXIV podcasts.

Most games shouldn't have a dedicated podcast because there's only so much you can talk about one game.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
See, the difference here is that the Remnants of a Realm videos and its ilk are actually good and informative. Ignore everything else Speakers does.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Velthice posted:

I would pose to them that the thing that has destroyed community isn't the duty finder but the fact that I have to push a button more often than an average of 1 per 12 seconds. That old mmos literally had you doing nothing for double digit seconds at a time definitely both allowed and encouraged you to get chatty because they were interminable otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

What kind of talk would one even want from a podcast about this game? Boss strats? Talk about the community? Just reading OF posts out loud and making fun of them? Or do you want, like, guests, or interviews with devs or voice actors? I don't listen to any gaming podcasts, so I don't know what people are in to.

• Locked thread