Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

a cute sea otter posted:

I did another training day, this time on an ER6N, this week and the instructor kept trying to get me to not cover the front brake, or to cover it with my index and middle finger. I've basically, sans any previous knowledge, gotten in the habit of doing this, but usually with just my ring and little finger.

Am I doing something stupid? I get that they don't want someone to accidentally pin the throttle when braking suddenly, so they teach releasing the throttle and pulling with the whole hand, but it seems to me that it's still very possible to get some inadvertent acceleration this way, and covering with index makes it even more likely, since you're pulling closer to the fulcrum of the lever and have to work harder. I've tried to put myself in the habit of rolling my hand forward and raising my elbow when I brake so that the lever rests further from the fingertip - moving from the first joint to the second - as I brake harder. Am I missing something here, or just go with what works?

They don't want you panicking and grabbing the bars when something bad happens and oh, oops, you grabbed all the front brake - enjoy your flight! But yeah, covering the front brake is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!
I mean covering with the outer fingers rather than the inner.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

a cute sea otter posted:

I mean covering with the outer fingers rather than the inner.

Sorry, misread that.

I don't think it really matters one way or the other. Ideally it'd be nice to do one finger braking for which your index finger is a lot better than your pinky because it's stronger and generally has better motor control/finger feel. I also think one finger braking with index gives you a better hold on the bars if something does go wonky, but, again, this is one of those things that only really matters on the internet.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

My instructors tell me that covering with the inner fingers only is a bad idea, because if you panic brake you could pinch your outer fingers with the brake handle.

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I've never seen (in my admittedly limited experience) a lever that had to be depressed far enough for that to be an issue, unless there was air in the brake line. Are there kinds that go that soft without needing work?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Just badly adjusted ones I'd assume. It sounds like one of those reasonings that leads to 'if your fingers are going to get pinched by braking that hard that suddenly, you probably have bigger concerns than a broken/bruised finger.'

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

-Inu- posted:

Even so, it's basically impossible to *completely* wear a tire to the edge, because at speed the tires deform and fold in slightly, keeping part of the tire from touching the road surface. Of course, it depends on the construction/profile of the tire and the rider, but it's pretty rare to see a front tire worn all the way to the edge. My bike got stolen (rip) so I can't take a picture of what the front looked like, but with the profile on these Dunlops, even my rear had an "unused" portion:

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Nice work there.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The bike I used in my MSF basically needed the brake lever compressed completely to apply the brake. I was the dumbass who hosed up and dumped a bike because of it. I was covering the brake and clutch with my index and middle fingers and for some dumbass reason cranked the throttle when I hosed up an upshift. I tried to panic-brake but my ring and pinky fingers blocked complete travel of the handles and the bike kept going. At least I ended up dumping it in the grass! :v:

To be fair, those bikes are likely abused to poo poo so I imagine it's not a problem with a bike that isn't being beat up by newbie riders its entire life.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Dick Burglar posted:

The bike I used in my MSF basically needed the brake lever compressed completely to apply the brake. I was the dumbass who hosed up and dumped a bike because of it. I was covering the brake and clutch with my index and middle fingers and for some dumbass reason cranked the throttle when I hosed up an upshift. I tried to panic-brake but my ring and pinky fingers blocked complete travel of the handles and the bike kept going. At least I ended up dumping it in the grass! :v:

To be fair, those bikes are likely abused to poo poo so I imagine it's not a problem with a bike that isn't being beat up by newbie riders its entire life.

And you learned to brake/clutch with all four fingers.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
That I did.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

So, a big thanks to everyone in this and all the threads here. I just officially hit one month of having my own bike, 1st month of riding, 1700~ miles in, and only one drop (lost the front wheel pulling into a gravel driveway too fast), and one already lost license plate (motorcycles vibrate a lot more than I thought they would and threadlocker is your friend).

Corners that were terrifying on my first few days are now taken with ease, the bike feels like it's "mine" now and this being my first manual vehicle, I now shift without even thinking about it. I also know for any sort of hard/twisty riding I massively underspent on initial gear (except my jacket), but it all works perfectly for commuting.

I can feel myself climbing mount stupid on the dunning-kruger graph fast, but I'm trying to temper it knowing that I'm still a dumbdumb and overestimating my skill will get me in trouble fast. Either way, this thread is great, you guys are great, and I appreciate all the advice. :) Now to tempt myself daily browsing cycletrader, and try as best I can not to trade up to a poor lesson in risk management.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I love you.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

spouse posted:

So, a big thanks to everyone in this and all the threads here. I just officially hit one month of having my own bike, 1st month of riding, 1700~ miles in, and only one drop (lost the front wheel pulling into a gravel driveway too fast), and one already lost license plate (motorcycles vibrate a lot more than I thought they would and threadlocker is your friend).

Corners that were terrifying on my first few days are now taken with ease, the bike feels like it's "mine" now and this being my first manual vehicle, I now shift without even thinking about it. I also know for any sort of hard/twisty riding I massively underspent on initial gear (except my jacket), but it all works perfectly for commuting.

I can feel myself climbing mount stupid on the dunning-kruger graph fast, but I'm trying to temper it knowing that I'm still a dumbdumb and overestimating my skill will get me in trouble fast. Either way, this thread is great, you guys are great, and I appreciate all the advice. :) Now to tempt myself daily browsing cycletrader, and try as best I can not to trade up to a poor lesson in risk management.

Keep doing what you're doing!

What kind of bike have you got?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

spouse posted:

The most dangerous point is in 1-2 years, cause you've got enough skill to ride the bike fast but not enough to not do things that suddenly and dramatically exceed the limits of traction. Sounds like you might hit that point before 1-2 years, but you should still be cautious of it. Try and find a flat track or offroad school to play with if you want to see how the bike feels sliding around.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Fishvilla posted:

I love you.

I know ;)

Slavvy posted:

Keep doing what you're doing!

What kind of bike have you got?

'07 Ninja 500r. Love it so far, but I'd like more legroom on the next one since I'm 6'4" and would like to do more trips. The "what bike should I get" thread has me staring at VFR's

Z3n posted:

The most dangerous point is in 1-2 years, cause you've got enough skill to ride the bike fast but not enough to not do things that suddenly and dramatically exceed the limits of traction. Sounds like you might hit that point before 1-2 years, but you should still be cautious of it. Try and find a flat track or offroad school to play with if you want to see how the bike feels sliding around.

I have a buddy who's done local dirt bike racing about 30 minutes outside the city for years and does a school with his kids. I'll see if he has any leads :) that'd be really cool.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Z3n posted:

This is very good advice. I am at this point now and reminding myself not to get cocky. On today's ride I made a point of easing back a bit, trying to focus on good form, being patient if stuck behind a slow vehicle, etc. I think it is very easy to forget the good habits you develop as an new and more cautious rider at this point unless you keep practicing them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The statistics show that the motorcycle accident rate actually increases with experience (mileage) up to about 5-10,000 miles, then starts to fall off again. It's exactly the phenomenon that's been described -- your confidence in your skills increases a lot more quickly than the skills themselves.

I even posted about it in the third megapost at the beginning of this thread! :)

Another thing that is really good to remember as a newbie is that the videos you've seen of people carving it up on twisties often involve

- riders with a lot more experience than you
- bikes set up with better tires and more powerful brakes than yours
- stupid maneuvers and speeds that would only be safe on a swept, monitored, closed road anyway

Like, seriously, check out some of the onboard videos sometime and see how short their sightlines get around blind turns. It doesn't matter how good you are if you're going at a speed that requires 3 seconds to stop and you can't see the stopped car full of tourists waiting 2 seconds around the corner.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 29, 2017

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

I've been watching a lot of videos of people on tail of the dragon because it's about 4 hours from my house and I plan to spend a week riding that area in august. I have no idea how or why they're going that fast when right next to them is a few hundred feet of brambly death, but then, I get excited when I almost scrape my pegs doing roundabouts at like 30mph at night out in rural NC. The only downside of this whole thing has been the fact that my econobox car is now the most boring and unresponsive thing on earth and I'm considering selling it for an NA miata or 1st gen MR2.

Edit: This whole post was basically to agree with you, I don't know if that was clear :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nah yeah, just keep your wits about you and don't push yourself. Especially on a new road.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

spouse posted:

I'm considering selling it for an NA miata or 1st gen MR2.

you can't wheelie a miata or mr2. keep the boring econobox.

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

spouse posted:

I've been watching a lot of videos of people on tail of the dragon because it's about 4 hours from my house and I plan to spend a week riding that area in august. I have no idea how or why they're going that fast when right next to them is a few hundred feet of brambly death, but then, I get excited when I almost scrape my pegs doing roundabouts at like 30mph at night out in rural NC. The only downside of this whole thing has been the fact that my econobox car is now the most boring and unresponsive thing on earth and I'm considering selling it for an NA miata or 1st gen MR2.

Edit: This whole post was basically to agree with you, I don't know if that was clear :)

Careful, I don't know about NC but they design roundabouts here so that they catch the maximal amount of road debris. I treat them like the death traps they are on approach and only power out when I have a clear line.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

spouse posted:

one already lost license plate (motorcycles vibrate a lot more than I thought they would and threadlocker is your friend).
This is good advice for anyone: check the bolts on your bike regularly. Like you said, bikes vibrate a LOT and bolts love to come loose. I have a friend whose shift lever fell off on the track, causing him to crash, break his ankle, and destroy his bike. I suggest blue Loctite on the shift lever and any other important things that you don't remove regularly. I know it's mostly considered a trackday thing, but honestly, having your bike safety wired isn't a bad investment. If you have a decent race shop nearby, they can probably do it for around $150. Alternatively, Probolt sells pre-drilled bolts that you just screw in and safety wire yourself. You can drill out bolts yourself, but it's time consuming, frustrating, and you're going to break more drill bits than you can count.

spouse posted:

Be very careful riding Deal's Gap. I have a few hundred hours logged in the Blue Ridge mountains, and I honestly completely avoid that road except during offseason (Oct-Dec). Basically what you have is an extremely, extremely complex road where nearly every turn is blind, and it's populated by A) People on sportbikes who think they know what they're doing but don't, B) People on sportbikes who actually know what they're doing, C) Cars who think they know what they're doing, D) Cars who know what they're doing, E) People on cruisers going slow as poo poo and not paying attention because they're looking at the scenery, and F) The occasional 18 wheeler that still somehow finds its way onto the road despite the signs saying DO NOT ENTER. It's just a giant clusterfuck which makes it a dangerous road in my opinion. I don't even think it's that fun of a road, honestly. There are much better roads in the area that are less populated.

I mean, go check it out for sure. But it's not someplace I like to frequent. These are some things us129photos has posted in the past few weeks alone:

edit: If you haven't already seen this video, it's my favorite Deals Gap video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rGbln3J4Sg

Well, my favorite was an older one from him, but it's since been taken off youtube (it showed his speedo, so probably for legal reasons). Rider is Jared Barnes - expert WERA racer, former Sportbiketracktime coach, local to that area. AFAIK he runs race tires and warmers when he's riding like that, and only does it during offseason. I'm not condoning riding on public roads like that, but he's the fastest guy up there, and even riding like that, probably one of the safest. I've run into him a few times up there, dude's a loving blur.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 29, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:laffo: those are phenomenal

I'm a huge fan of the group of baggers all staggered perfectly across both lanes

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

-Inu- posted:

This is good advice for anyone: check the bolts on your bike regularly. Like you said, bikes vibrate a LOT and bolts love to come loose. I have a friend whose shift lever fell off on the track, causing him to crash, break his ankle, and destroy his bike. I suggest blue Loctite on the shift lever and any other important things that you don't remove regularly. I know it's mostly considered a trackday thing, but honestly, having your bike safety wired isn't a bad investment. If you have a decent race shop nearby, they can probably do it for around $150. Alternatively, Probolt sells pre-drilled bolts that you just screw in and safety wire yourself. You can drill out bolts yourself, but it's time consuming, frustrating, and you're going to break more drill bits than you can count.
I'm not totally disagreeing with you here but I don't want new riders to get the impression their poo poo is just going to fall apart all the time simply because motorcycles do that. Certain motorcycles are vibey (Harleys/Buells) and certain motorcycles if ridden hard (Ninja 250 on the interstate?) will have issues like this but if you're riding an EX500 around like normal it's unlikely poo poo is going to fall off.

But I totally agree when it comes to track days and any circumstance where you're spending a lot of time near redline. It's absolutely amazing what will come loose when you have the throttle wide open all the time, even if you don't do many miles on it. I try to safety wire every single chassis bolt on my race bike even though most of it's not required.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm not totally disagreeing with you here but I don't want new riders to get the impression their poo poo is just going to fall apart all the time simply because motorcycles do that. Certain motorcycles are vibey (Harleys/Buells) and certain motorcycles if ridden hard (Ninja 250 on the interstate?) will have issues like this but if you're riding an EX500 around like normal it's unlikely poo poo is going to fall off.
Fair. I wouldn't worry about your bike randomly coming apart while you're riding - just double check your bolts every once in a while.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

I'll check out the safety wiring, just to see :) The license plate was because I literally hand threaded the screw and wingnut and said "yeah, it'll be fine until I get home to threadlock it", and it came off somewhere on a 70mph freeway. I looped back but couldn't find it.

re: deals gap: I'm not just riding that road, but I'll definitely be doing it at least once. I'll try and make it for a weekday, as I'm told it's an absolute nightmare on the weekend.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

you can't wheelie a miata or mr2. keep the boring econobox.

and most motorcycles don't have pop-up headlights :c00lbutt:

a cute sea otter posted:

Careful, I don't know about NC but they design roundabouts here so that they catch the maximal amount of road debris. I treat them like the death traps they are on approach and only power out when I have a clear line.

I didn't know this. There's just one really wide one near my parents house out in the middle of nowhere that's never got people in it, and just joins three roads adjacent to farms. Seems clean, but I'll look out for the other ones around me :)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

spouse posted:

I'll check out the safety wiring, just to see :) The license plate was because I literally hand threaded the screw and wingnut and said "yeah, it'll be fine until I get home to threadlock it", and it came off somewhere on a 70mph freeway. I looped back but couldn't find it.

re: deals gap: I'm not just riding that road, but I'll definitely be doing it at least once. I'll try and make it for a weekday, as I'm told it's an absolute nightmare on the weekend.

and most motorcycles don't have pop-up headlights :c00lbutt:

I didn't know this. There's just one really wide one near my parents house out in the middle of nowhere that's never got people in it, and just joins three roads adjacent to farms. Seems clean, but I'll look out for the other ones around me :)

You should really go and take a racing class of some variety. I think you would enjoy it.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

spouse posted:

Speaking of license plate bolts, if you get the reflector kind, they should come with springs on them. Springs keep it under tension and keep the wingnut from backing out :) Threadlocker works too, ofc.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

builds character posted:

You should really go and take a racing class of some variety. I think you would enjoy it.

I definitely plan on doing that and then track days once I get a bit more experience, but for now, I'm trying to save to buy a house, so I can't really put money into that sort of thing juuuust yet. Definitely on the list though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Just remember, your second track day is very cheap. It's the first one that is crazy expensive.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

-Inu- posted:

Be very careful riding Deal's Gap. I have a few hundred hours logged in the Blue Ridge mountains, and I honestly completely avoid that road except during offseason (Oct-Dec). Basically what you have is an extremely, extremely complex road where nearly every turn is blind, and it's populated by A) People on sportbikes who think they know what they're doing but don't, B) People on sportbikes who actually know what they're doing, C) Cars who think they know what they're doing, D) Cars who know what they're doing, E) People on cruisers going slow as poo poo and not paying attention because they're looking at the scenery, and F) The occasional 18 wheeler that still somehow finds its way onto the road despite the signs saying DO NOT ENTER. It's just a giant clusterfuck which makes it a dangerous road in my opinion. I don't even think it's that fun of a road, honestly. There are much better roads in the area that are less populated.

I mean, go check it out for sure. But it's not someplace I like to frequent. These are some things us129photos has posted in the past few weeks alone:

edit: If you haven't already seen this video, it's my favorite Deals Gap video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rGbln3J4Sg

Well, my favorite was an older one from him, but it's since been taken off youtube (it showed his speedo, so probably for legal reasons). Rider is Jared Barnes - expert WERA racer, former Sportbiketracktime coach, local to that area. AFAIK he runs race tires and warmers when he's riding like that, and only does it during offseason. I'm not condoning riding on public roads like that, but he's the fastest guy up there, and even riding like that, probably one of the safest. I've run into him a few times up there, dude's a loving blur.

Great shots there. The video however would be better with less editing, I'd love to see a ride along from his helmet. And yeah that's a race prepped bike(but it has a licence plate?), even running reverse shift if you watch closely.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

spouse posted:

I definitely plan on doing that and then track days once I get a bit more experience, but for now, I'm trying to save to buy a house, so I can't really put money into that sort of thing juuuust yet. Definitely on the list though.

This is really good and fun for when you have the cash budgeted. http://www.cornerspin.com/main.html

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

so... I need to change up my chain and sprockets at some point in the not-too-distant future. I don't have a master link that I can see. What's the easiest thing to do? Take it to a shop and have them break it and put a link with a clip in?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

a cute sea otter posted:

so... I need to change up my chain and sprockets at some point in the not-too-distant future. I don't have a master link that I can see. What's the easiest thing to do? Take it to a shop and have them break it and put a link with a clip in?

https://www.amazon.com/RK-UCT-4060-Universal-Chain/dp/B0087Y493A
Save yourself a lot of trouble and money now, and down the road, and just buy this. It's expensive, so you might balk at it (everyone does), but it makes chain jobs a breeze. It will break off your chain, remove links, and install master clip/rivet links.

It's well made and does what it's supposed to, and will pay for itself. Plus, your chain is kinda important to your safety and not grenading your bike, so it's worth it to do the job right.

Or, you can do what a lot of people do and use a hack saw, pliers, drill, hours of sweat and swearing, each time you have to mess with the chain.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

To add to the above: you do have a master link, it's just a rivet type instead of a clip type. Look for the one with slightly different looking pins. If not then you have the extremely rare factory endless chain but I've only seen those like twice.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Yeah, buy a chain tool. It will make breaking your chain a breeze, and I personally won't run a clip link on any bike I own. Better to have the peace of mind and rivet a new master link. That's my opinion anyway.

Also, as much as Cycle Gear house brands are junk, I actually like their tools for what they are. Their Stockton chain breaker is only $40 and should be just fine. I've had mine for years and used it for countless chain changes, and if it manages to snap while you're doing your chain, just go yell at CG and get them to replace it. I've had the super nice Motion Pro tool break on me before, so as far as I'm concerned a chain tool is one of those tools you won't need very often and don't need to spend an arm and a leg on.

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

Slavvy posted:

To add to the above: you do have a master link, it's just a rivet type instead of a clip type. Look for the one with slightly different looking pins. If not then you have the extremely rare factory endless chain but I've only seen those like twice.

Yeah, I was looking for a rivet, too, but didn't see one. I'll look more closlier, but it is probably factory. I'm moving out of the UK in a few months and selling off everything, so I'd rather not go out and buy another £50 tool. Reckon a shop can do it quickly for £10 if I give them the right link?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I find using a chain tool to brake the chain takes longer than just cutting it with an angle grinder. I do use it for riveting master links though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Grind down the heads on the rivets on your chain and they should never break the chain press tool. I've had a cheap stockton tool chain press / riveter and for probably 5 years a now and at least a couple dozen chains, and it's never even stressed the tool in the slightest.

a cute sea otter posted:

Yeah, I was looking for a rivet, too, but didn't see one. I'll look more closlier, but it is probably factory. I'm moving out of the UK in a few months and selling off everything, so I'd rather not go out and buy another £50 tool. Reckon a shop can do it quickly for £10 if I give them the right link?

Just pay the shop to do it if you're not gonna buy the tools, it's sort of a pain in the rear end if you don't have the ability to break the chain after breaking the front sprocket loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Revelation:

Wind-proof balaclavas are the absolute poo poo for winter riding. Completely superior to those lovely fleece neckwarmers. Doesn't restrict your movement, much warmer, and as a bonus it makes your helmet quieter too. Best 35 bucks I've spent in a while.