Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

LongSack posted:

Lies! Skyline owns

They make good greek spaghetti sauce, yes. My point stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
When cooking a dish and adding chicken to it, how should you cook the chicken? Lets say I'm making something like palak paneer and I want to add some chicken. Should I just chop it up raw and throw it in and cook it that way, or should I really bake it or something first? I have no problem just throwing beef or pork into dishes like that but I am never sure with chicken.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

nesbit37 posted:

When cooking a dish and adding chicken to it, how should you cook the chicken? Lets say I'm making something like palak paneer and I want to add some chicken. Should I just chop it up raw and throw it in and cook it that way, or should I really bake it or something first? I have no problem just throwing beef or pork into dishes like that but I am never sure with chicken.

Typically for an indian dish you're grilling the meat or baking in a tandoor oven (it's been marinating a while beforehand) and then you add it to your sauce to finish

Also, you might cook the meat first in a pan, then remove it (so you don't over cook while you do the next part of the dish) and then while you're making the sauce or whatever you're scraping up the brown bits in the pan to add more flavor to the sauce. You'll miss out on that if you just threw raw chicken in there, plus the texture would be boiled, not fried/grilled.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Chicken cooks really quickly, and palak paneer has enough liquid to cook the chicken in if you decide to just throw it in. That being said, frying the chicken first is a good shout, cause you get that delicious Maillard reaction which adds tonnes of flavour, and some chefs say it seals in the flavour of the chicken (but I don't really buy that). I typically always fry chicken, cause I think it tastes much better if it's been quickly fried to get some browning on it before throwing it in the pot to slowly cook, as opposed to just plopping raw chicken into the liquid.

I change between methods of frying the chicken: some days I put it on a high heat in a separate pan to get it really browned before adding it to the main pan, and other days I just chuck the chicken in after I'm almost done sauteeing the onions and fry it with the onions for a little bit before adding liquid. I really dislike the texture of boiled chicken.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I've done some Thai curry recipes that call for chicken breast chunks added to the simmering mix of spices and coconut milk. Comes out pretty good even if it's coconut-milk poached chicken.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have found that shredding whole chicken pieces rather than using cut up chunks results in a much more pleasing texture if the meat will be cooking submerged in liquid.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What's a good way to season/marinate hamburgers before grilling or frying? I tried a few things I found on Google but they didn't turn out as well as I'd have liked.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Lawnie posted:

I have found that shredding whole chicken pieces rather than using cut up chunks results in a much more pleasing texture if the meat will be cooking submerged in liquid.

How do you shred raw chicken? If I'm shredding, I usually poach it in stock/liquid and then shred it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What's a good way to season/marinate hamburgers before grilling or frying? I tried a few things I found on Google but they didn't turn out as well as I'd have liked.
Salt and pepper. If you're going to do fancy saucing or seasoning on a burger about ten times out of ten you're better off adding it after cooking. When you're looking at a short cook at high heat you're not going to get a lot of delicate interplay of whatever the gently caress you might be imagining, like if you were doing braise or something. So unless your sauce/seasoning really wants to get the everloving poo poo seared out of it, it doesn't really want to be on the grill with the burger.

Apart from meat, cheese, and bun, what are you going for? Like when you have a stereotypical cheeseburger with Russian and you think to yourself that it really needs to be more elaborate, what kind of thing do you have in mind?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Don't do it at all. if frying shape into a ball, throw on hot griddle/iron/steel and smash with rigid spatula, salt exposed side heavily, and cook until good sear is formed. with rigid spatula scrape meat off of surface, preserving as much of crust as possible, flip onto unused section of cooktop and cook through to desired doneness.

to grill, just shape into a patty and season both sides and cook hot and fast. Grill wise, med rare to med is best, imo, grilling to well done just results in grainy dry meat.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

If you absolutely must mix something into the meat, fish sauce is good, so is garlic powder, but really the more you work the meat the more the muscle intertwines and makes a chewy burger which isn't really what you want (see also: Heston Blumenthal's aligned grind strand method, Chinese dumpling/meatballs wherein you work the ground meat excessively to give it the chewy bouncy cooked texture)

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

rgocs posted:

How do you shred raw chicken? If I'm shredding, I usually poach it in stock/liquid and then shred it.

I realize now I worded that strangely. What I was trying to say was I almost always shred after cooking whole pieces.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Okay, so about how much salt should I put on 1 pound of patties if that's all I'm using?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Okay, so about how much salt should I put on 1 pound of patties if that's all I'm using?

1 teaspoon kosher salt (the equivalent of 1/2 teaspoon table salt, or 2% by weight) per 5-ounce patty.

refrain from getting the meat anywhere near the salt until just before you cook it

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/12/the-burger-lab-salting-ground-beef.html

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Interesting, thanks.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

They make good greek spaghetti sauce, yes. My point stands.

The sauce, while Greek/Macedonian in origin, came from Cincinnati - specifically Empress Chili, from which the others sprouted. I maintain that this is uniquely an Ohio dish.

After living in Tennessee for 23 years, there are 2 things I miss food-wise from when I lived in Columbus - Skyline Chili restaurants (as opposed to frozen) and Mark Pi's Chinese - especially the War Su Gai. The south has poo poo for Chinese restaurants.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Interesting, thanks.

I don't have much to add to what's been said other than that reason for these things is that you want the beef to speak for itself.

Make sure you're using a good quality 80/20, the fat will give a beefy flavor. Chuck works well for burgers.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

nesbit37 posted:

Coat your chicken chunks in lemon juice and leave for half an hour, then add yoghurt, garlic, ginger, spices and leave overnight. Grill the chicken on skewers, then add into your curry.

That is the best way to add chicken to curry.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

LongSack posted:

After living in Tennessee for 23 years, there are 2 things I miss food-wise from when I lived in Columbus - Skyline Chili restaurants (as opposed to frozen) and Mark Pi's Chinese - especially the War Su Gai. The south has poo poo for Chinese restaurants.

Does Wor Su Gai even exist outside of Columbus, Ohio?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Having a memorial day barbecue.

Friend's Collard Greens are tasting too sweet right now (I think the recipe used involved a cup of sugar in the water).

What's the best way(s) to counteract?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just bought an Instant Pot, throw some of your favourite recipes my way. I'm trying to branch away from my typical meals that are almost exclusively curries / pasta dishes. I go for them since they're easy, but it'd be nice to have something that doesn't revolve around rice / pasta.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Ranter posted:

Just wait until the aussie 'Smashed avo on toast' hits your local scene.

I was two thousand posts behind and want to recognize Ranter for this.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

FaradayCage posted:

Having a memorial day barbecue.

Friend's Collard Greens are tasting too sweet right now (I think the recipe used involved a cup of sugar in the water).

What's the best way(s) to counteract?

Extra acid and some msg.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Loopoo posted:

Just bought an Instant Pot, throw some of your favourite recipes my way. I'm trying to branch away from my typical meals that are almost exclusively curries / pasta dishes. I go for them since they're easy, but it'd be nice to have something that doesn't revolve around rice / pasta.

Chicken thighs, a packet of taco seasoning, salt, pepper, cilantro, chipotles in adobo (chopped), and whatever other Tex-mex poo poo you can find, then enough chicken stock to cover. You can/should sauté some onions first, too. Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes, let it sit for 10 minutes, then release the pressure. Shred the chicken, return to sauce, heating it through. Delicious taco meat, made very fast and tastes slow-cooked.

Edit: I chop jalapeños and sometimes add a can of crushed tomatoes and some diced green chiles, too.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Chinese dumpling/meatballs wherein you work the ground meat excessively to give it the chewy bouncy cooked texture

I can't believe that I didn't know that. I always thought that they were chewy because they were full of gristle, and Chinese people like some weirdo textures.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

moller posted:

Apparently not. Every person in a Chinese restaurant here is completely baffled. Man it's tasty, though.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LongSack posted:

The sauce, while Greek/Macedonian in origin, came from Cincinnati - specifically Empress Chili, from which the others sprouted. I maintain that this is uniquely an Ohio dish.

I need to go down to Cinci sometime and try it. Gold Star is garbage, and Skyline is the only one outside of the Cinci area.

Also, I need to have Wor Su Gai again sometime then I think. gently caress. It's been years.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Loopoo posted:

http://skillet.lifehacker.com/the-first-seven-things-your-should-make-with-a-new-inst-1790730616

(sorry) http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/04/pressure-cooker-thai-green-chicken-curry.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/12/pressure-cooker-mushroom-risotto-recipe.html

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

moller posted:

I grew up in Columbus and have not heard the name since moving out of state. It does not exist in any place I've been to on the West coast, both in americanized chinese places and chinatown places.

If you're in Columbus though, Moy's is the way to go. I grew up with the family and it's tasty. No idea if they have Wor Su Gai.

Oh, I just googled and literally: "it's a specialty in Detroit, Michigan, Columbus, Ohio, and no doubt a few other areas. ". So yeah, it's basically a great lakes regional thing.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

nuru posted:

Oh, I just googled and literally: "it's a specialty in Detroit, Michigan, Columbus, Ohio, and no doubt a few other areas. ". So yeah, it's basically a great lakes regional thing.

I've been told that in Michigan it's called crispy/boneless almond chicken, whereas most places almond chicken is a stirfry.

It's certainly nowhere to be found in Chicago.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I don't know what to call just Michigan / Ohio then. The dark place?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
What's a good length of time to brine chicken thighs?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

lifts cats over head posted:

What's a good length of time to brine chicken thighs?

30-60 minutes is generally what I go for. 20-30 is fine if you're pressed for time.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

First two links are amazing and I'll definitely give them a go. I make lots of Indian curries, but tend not to dabble with the Thai curries. The 40 minute baked potatoes is insanely good.

Mushroom risotto has never been my kinda thing.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Lawnie posted:

Chicken thighs, a packet of taco seasoning, salt, pepper, cilantro, chipotles in adobo (chopped), and whatever other Tex-mex poo poo you can find, then enough chicken stock to cover. You can/should sauté some onions first, too. Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes, let it sit for 10 minutes, then release the pressure. Shred the chicken, return to sauce, heating it through. Delicious taco meat, made very fast and tastes slow-cooked.

Edit: I chop jalapeños and sometimes add a can of crushed tomatoes and some diced green chiles, too.

This plus some beans will be my lunches this week, I think. This sounds tasty for some burrito bowls.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

QuarkMartial posted:

This plus some beans will be my lunches this week, I think. This sounds tasty for some burrito bowls.

You can cook dry beans with all the other stuff, just increase the cooking time to an hour.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

This instant pot has blown my mind. I was gonna go to the stores to get a bunch of ingredients to make something, but I figured I'd start using up my frozen bulk-cooked meals to free up space in the freezer for the next meal I cook. I took out a chicken curry, banged it in the instant pot, and it perfectly reheated it in about 30 minutes.

I then put some basmati rice in the instant pot and that was cooked in about 10 minutes. This thing is amazing. Normally, I put the basmati in a pan, bring it to a boil, boil off the excess water, then put a lid and leave it on low heat for 25 minutes. but with this thing I can just set it and forget it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Oh man I got a sous vide machine as a gift today, one of the ones you stick into a pot. I'm psyched!

What a good resource for a sous vide newbie?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

serious eats,
chefsteps,
the anova recipe website and
The sous vide thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573640

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Loopoo posted:

This instant pot has blown my mind. I was gonna go to the stores to get a bunch of ingredients to make something, but I figured I'd start using up my frozen bulk-cooked meals to free up space in the freezer for the next meal I cook. I took out a chicken curry, banged it in the instant pot, and it perfectly reheated it in about 30 minutes.

I then put some basmati rice in the instant pot and that was cooked in about 10 minutes. This thing is amazing. Normally, I put the basmati in a pan, bring it to a boil, boil off the excess water, then put a lid and leave it on low heat for 25 minutes. but with this thing I can just set it and forget it.

Yeah, it's a nice piece of hardware. I also like making soups/stews that start with browning the meat on a high temp, and then deglazing and turning it down to simmer.