Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Has Bitwig grown beyond Ableton but with more bugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Ableton's awesome if you can get it with, say, a student discount. That's how I got my copy a few years back. IIRC I think I had to send a pic of my college ID, can't really remember.

I got a Push 2 this past November and I'm still scratching the surface of what I can do with it (time constraints and work commitments, mostly)- it's so expansive. For the most part, it's quite intuitive but there are so many things it does as an interface, controller, sequencer, instrument, and so on that it can get hard to keep track of all of the functions and the multiple learning curves can feel like a real bear sometimes.

That said, I think it's a fantastic piece of gear that elevates Ableton to the best all-around value in my book. It's better than your standard pad+knob controller and greatly expands the power of the built-in features, as well as AU/VSTs and Max scripts optimized for it.

If I were DAW shopping again I'd probably wait until a Black Friday/similar sale event and pick up a discounted Push 2 Bundle, where the software ends up priced for a fraction of what it normally costs alone.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Fried my first module today. Check your ribbons kids.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

magiccarpet posted:

Fried my first module today. Check your ribbons kids.

that sucks

the only think i ever plugged in backwards was kinks and uh i t h i n k t h e m o d u l e l i k e d i t  cuz it didnt complain at all

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
the components you need to add reverse voltage protection cost like 5 cents, it's frankly unconscionable that every module doesn't have it

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Almost as bad as the fact that eurorack allows it in the first place. If Mutable Instruments and Make Noise got together and said "hey, from now on Clouds and Maths are only available in some new format with reasonable power standards" everyone else would switch overnight.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Guys, it finally happened today. After nearly six months......I finally clicked with my Octatrack.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

algebra testes posted:

gently caress if I know, they decided to charge for half the updates they said were coming in patches and so I stopped paying attention to it

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

algebra testes posted:

I haven't had it be that buggy and I really like the interface, however

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

gently caress if I know, they decided to charge for half the updates they said were coming in patches and so I stopped paying attention to it

Yeah that kinda pissed everyone off. Still I've got a massive set of very weird projects in motion for which Bitwig has the best interface I've ever used, so I'm sticking with it for the foreseeable.

(It's these things in case anyone's interested)

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I just figured out that the contour circuit in the 0-Coast doubles as a slew/lag processor. The sustain voltage changes based on the voltage of your gate signal, and that's why it was acting weird with some lower voltage stuff I wanted to plug in.

That was a fun diversion. Back to writing. :eng99:

E:

Trig Discipline posted:

(It's these things in case anyone's interested)
There's more Prophet Trump?! :swoon:

So Math fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 22, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh it's going to be at least ten chapters by the time I'm done with it. Chapters one and three have rough drafts of the whole thing, chapter two has words already done, and I'm about eighty percent through words for chapters four and five. I still don't know how it ends, but there are definitely some orgies and cannibalism on the way.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 22, 2017

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Guys, it finally happened today. After nearly six months......I finally clicked with my Octatrack.

I just got an A4 and it's the weirdest piece of gear in the sense that I know with some quality time it'll probably my favorite synth I own, but at the moment it's mostly just mystifying to me.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ableton's awesome if you can get it with, say, a student discount. That's how I got my copy a few years back. IIRC I think I had to send a pic of my college ID, can't really remember.

I got a Push 2 this past November and I'm still scratching the surface of what I can do with it (time constraints and work commitments, mostly)- it's so expansive. For the most part, it's quite intuitive but there are so many things it does as an interface, controller, sequencer, instrument, and so on that it can get hard to keep track of all of the functions and the multiple learning curves can feel like a real bear sometimes.

That said, I think it's a fantastic piece of gear that elevates Ableton to the best all-around value in my book. It's better than your standard pad+knob controller and greatly expands the power of the built-in features, as well as AU/VSTs and Max scripts optimized for it.

If I were DAW shopping again I'd probably wait until a Black Friday/similar sale event and pick up a discounted Push 2 Bundle, where the software ends up priced for a fraction of what it normally costs alone.

I totally agree with this. I picked up Live Suite and a Push 2 during a January sale, and it really makes Ableton's instruments feel real and intuitive, letting me tweak the synths like I would a hardware synth. I'm also able to have long creative jam sessions where I end up using the Push to discover new sounds while having fun doing it. After coming up with various ideas and sounds, I'll end up using the computer for the arrangement. Here's an example of me improvising a synth line using Analog on the Push 2.

Also, I never had the original Push, but it seems the Push 2's screen is much much cripser and clearer (with color to boot!).

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
anybody interested in a great condition mono/poly or a 5E set of oblique strategies, before i put em on muffs or w/e?

pm/email at beastmouth at gmail.com

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

This seems like the best thread for this. I built some little analog music visualizers/oscilloscopes out of old cathode ray tube camp TVs and hooked up a yocto analog tr-808 clone through a red panda Particle pedal (this crazy granular delay doodad, really fun).

Not sure what to do with it other than some short improvised performances, maybe get some bigger TVs or find a way to project the results onto a larger screen. But for the moment I'm just having fun finding sweet spots, going off both the audio and visual feedback.

Running vocals through this thing is trippy too, sounds like Amnesia Scanner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iGSxqW-Lcs

Starts to get more interesting around 30 seconds.

EDIT: I forgot other lower-quality videos of it i took on my cell phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHWkR6YM5VQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAgMS37UWWI

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

i use an elgato video capture to record my video synth work onto my computer

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Thanks for the tip, I've just looked it up but I'm not sure it will work because I am generating the video signal after the point of any kind of video output, it's literally the wires connected to the CRT that I am pumping audio into. It makes the "video synthesis" less controllable or intricate but it is easier to do and cheaper, which works well because I'm both lazy and trying to save money right now.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Okay, so FL/Abelton and Serum for FM synth.

Good stuff, thread. I'll probably grab a full license of FL first.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Can anyone recommend a patch to make a very simple logic switch of sorts?

What I'm trying to do is feed CV to my Arpitect to get it to change key while playing out. For instance have it play C maj for 4 bars and then switch to F maj for 4 bars, then back. I've got a sequencer that can do this, but I'd rather free that up for other duties.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/274705

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If you just want to switch between two CVs, grab an LFO squarewave out of Maths/Function/Whatever and attenuate and offset as necessary. You could do it with 3 channels of Maths, I think.

edit: Obviously you'd then have to derive your musical clock from this Maths patch.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

magiccarpet posted:

Can anyone recommend a patch to make a very simple logic switch of sorts?

What I'm trying to do is feed CV to my Arpitect to get it to change key while playing out. For instance have it play C maj for 4 bars and then switch to F maj for 4 bars, then back. I've got a sequencer that can do this, but I'd rather free that up for other duties.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/274705

Attenuate your rotating clock divider to whatever offset you need by adjusting the level on the uVCA. Or use a square wave LFO form the modcan set to whatever level you need.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I did it, I ordered a rytm!
Very excited. When I move somewhere with a second bedroom and proper studio space I plan to get a matrix brute, then after that the plan is a good mixer / interface and I'll get back to growing the eurorack.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

is anybody else hype for the 2hp freez?

seems like itd be great to make things go crazy

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

cubicle gangster posted:

I did it, I ordered a rytm!
Very excited. When I move somewhere with a second bedroom and proper studio space I plan to get a matrix brute, then after that the plan is a good mixer / interface and I'll get back to growing the eurorack.

It keeps pulling me; I've a Monomachine and an Octatrack, and was tempted to sell the OT and get the Rtym since I prefer synthesis over sampling, but it has more or less made itself irreplaceable lately (mainly how its I/O has replaced nearly everything else in my setup) and I can't quite justify a third device.

If you don't have much in your current setup, the Rytm can act as a soundcard if you want to route audio through it.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I can't quite justify a third device.

are you sure synthesizer is the instrument for you :ohdear:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
so young, so naive

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

are you sure synthesizer is the instrument for you :ohdear:

It's okay; I used to have five. I still have a Micron somewhere with a fiddly keybed I need to fix with some Loctite.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

If anyones on the fence about an op-1 here are some of my personal experiences that may make or break a sale for you. I'll be honest, music theory mystifies me, but i love synthesizers. My first big boy synth was a roland d-50 and for some reason that didnt work out. Not long after that i got an op-1 and it changed the way i think about creating music. Sure its limited but everything has a limit. I believe the portability and battery life more than make up for the few flaws it has. The nine synth engines and drum machine are extremely versatile when mixed with the many filters. All with the sequencers many options along with sampling, four track recorder, microphone, etc. Dont let the small package fool you. If your musical stylings arent jammy it might not be for you. But for me its about discovering a new sound or melody or whatever homo poo poo a poet would say, and the op-1 is a lot of fun for just goofing off on and making neat sounds. Namaste.

flubber nuts fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 29, 2017

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I love the op1 but I think anyone interested should definitely try it out in person

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I played with an OP1 a bit and I love it, but I just can't help feeling that they've got to be doing a new version soon. If it was $400 I would've bought one already, but I'm just leery of buying something that expensive just to have the resale value on it plummet immediately when the new version comes out.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

I played with an OP1 a bit and I love it, but I just can't help feeling that they've got to be doing a new version soon. If it was $400 I would've bought one already, but I'm just leery of buying something that expensive just to have the resale value on it plummet immediately when the new version comes out.

OPZ. It does video synthesis. The lcd is gone, replaced by a video out for visuals. It can be played without the video out though. They showed it off at NAMM 2016 i think so id be interested what they have this year. What they said in 2016 is that the sequencer was updated to allow for more organic programming. Also quoted as being cheaper than the op1, but all together a different beast.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah depending on what the price tag is I'd definitely be interested in that. Not as cute as the OP1though :-/

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm really liking modular synth as a hobby, I feel like I'm finding cool new things to do with my modular every day.
https://soundcloud.com/joejoejoejoe-4/memorialday

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 30, 2017

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
The OPZ looks really cool as a small portable synth to throw in a bag and have fun jamming with and I'll most likely pick one up if the price is right.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
So now that the digitakt is out anyone actually planning on getting it?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Is anyone using Modstep as their sequencer? I'm looking for something to hook up my iPad and a few items (Minilogue, Volca Bass and some more stuff down the line) so was curious if anyone here was using a setup like that and what they were using to output midi.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

I've been playing with modstep as a sequencer. It's been pretty good from the little bit I've done.

I had a Roland A-01 lying around so I connected the iPad to it via Bluetooth, and din midi out to my old interface to my volcas and S-550.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Gringostar posted:

So now that the digitakt is out anyone actually planning on getting it?

I'm considering it. I want a drum machine/sampler/something and I've fallen in love with my A4 so it's kind of down to whether a RTYM or Digitakt fits my needs better. Right now I'm leaning a little more towards the Digitakt but I'm gonna give it a bit til more reviews roll in.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I made a wonderful two-voice generative patch last night and while I recorded it I now just want to encase my modular in amber and never touch it again :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Death is certain. Destroy the patch and reflect upon the transience of life.