Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

That's exactly what came to mind during that shot - the way her arm was crooked just-so, ostensibly to hold her hair back, made me think "Gotta hold that tube level!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
For those of you that have watched both The Leftovers and LOST, which musical score had more of an emotional connection for you?

I'm a big LOST fan, but the score for this show is so simple and beautiful. It's a tight one, but I'm going with The Leftovers.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Fried Watermelon posted:

Why didn't she puke into the toilet

This angered me as well.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I assumed she wanted to make sure everything came back up without fishing in the toilet.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

HanabaL03 posted:

For those of you that have watched both The Leftovers and LOST, which musical score had more of an emotional connection for you?

This one by far

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

HanabaL03 posted:

I'm a big LOST fan, but the score for this show is so simple and beautiful. It's a tight one, but I'm going with The Leftovers.

Lost all the way. I loved all the different themes for individual characters. There's No Place Like Home still gives me goosebumps.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah gotta go with LOST for the soundtrack. Especially for Season 1.

EDIT: And now I just went down a big youtube rabbit hole and totally not crying over Vincent swimming after the raft.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 26, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HanabaL03 posted:

The Leftovers music often hits me harder, and generally seems to come in at just the right moment to me.

I like the Lost score but sometimes it felt a little overbearing to me. I will say that Lost used diegetic licensed music to great effect though- the "Make Your Own Kind of Music" and "Shotgun Willie" sequences in particular stand out to me.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

HanabaL03 posted:

Impossible to compare. Lost had 121 episodes to introduce themes and then slowly evolve them over the course of the show, culminating with that final scene that used a song that hit multiple themes one after the other perfectly. The Leftovers not only has 28 episodes but uses its score a lot less than Lost does, so you're left with a limited amount of themes that are used sparingly and change in more subtle ways.

Ultimately though, I love em both. Definitely a big fan of "A Blessing" (from the Holy Wayne/Nora scene) and the repeated use of Max Richter's "November" (because it suits them perfectly).

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I agree. It's totally apples to oranges, but I think they're both great, though Lost was a little heavy-handed about it sometimes. I really appreciate the more subtle and sparing use of in The Leftovers.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Raxivace posted:

The Leftovers music often hits me harder, and generally seems to come in at just the right moment to me.

I like the Lost score but sometimes it felt a little overbearing to me. I will say that Lost used diegetic licensed music to great effect though- the "Make Your Own Kind of Music" and "Shotgun Willie" sequences in particular stand out to me.

Yeah and "Downtown"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I liked that cool bit of electronicy music in the s2 finale where Kevin walks into Jarden after being shot by John and returning from The Other Place. Dunno if it was original or taken from something else

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have the piano version of Where Is My Mind in my playlist for driving to work

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

I really can't get tired of that. Or Genghis Barbie's Take On Me.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Lost has the edge in score simply because of the sheer volume of it (And Giacchino's got a knack for the kind of bombastic sound that series required.) That said, Leftovers' repeated used of a handful of themes, arranged as needed to meet the mood of the scene, is fantastically effective. Whenever you hear the Departure piano theme creep in you know it's time to steel yourself for an emotional gutpunch.

When it comes to non-original music, I'm still blown away by how effective using Verdi's "Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves" nonstop in International Assassin was. Within the same hour it is used as an ominous sting as Kevin tries to grasp his situation, a dramatic intensifier as he realizes the stakes and as a punchline unto itself as everything gets increasingly dreamlike and absurd.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Professor Shark posted:

That version is on every playlist I make now. The music in The Leftovers is always spot-on. I get chills watching International Assassin whenever Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves comes in.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Professor Shark posted:

The music drove me nuts sometimes, because in some places I didn't realize it wasn't an original composition. That one it took me forever to find out what the song was.

When the cover of Wherever I May Roam started last episode, there were such long pauses at first, I almost thought I was imagining it at first (then I had to Google some of the lyrics 'cause I was blanking hard on the title)

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Last Chance posted:

I liked that cool bit of electronicy music in the s2 finale where Kevin walks into Jarden after being shot by John and returning from The Other Place. Dunno if it was original or taken from something else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGV_pWLGXKo I love it as well.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Tonight's episode better have more Kevin.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I really can't get tired of that. Or Genghis Barbie's Take On Me.

The acoustic Nothing Else Matters cover at the end of season 1 is great

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I really hope this episode shows what that lady found while scuba diving. Hope they dont stretch the reveal out over multiple episodes like walking dead would

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

I really hope this episode shows what that lady found while scuba diving. Hope they dont stretch the reveal out over multiple episodes like walking dead would

She found peace, because she's dead.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there an episode tonight? I know Better Call Saul is skipping this week due to the holiday.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RCarr posted:

Is there an episode tonight? I know Better Call Saul is skipping this week due to the holiday.

Yes, there's an episode.

Does IMDB just not work for some people? :iiam:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yes, there's an episode.

Does IMDB just not work for some people? :iiam:

IMDb isn't always a reliable source

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

:woop:

Original intro music!! :aaa:

e: Oh boy here we go assassinatin' again.

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 29, 2017

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
Yeah, that *would* be ridiculous

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I feel like I'm tripping.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I love that Australian Kevin is there.

e: :lol:

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
LOL the thud when it slapped it down HAHAHA

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

CodeJanitor posted:

Penis thwapping sound.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

This is awesome

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

drat, more like Va, penis-ero, am I right?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I would watch 400 hours of this

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

CodeJanitor posted:

I burst out laughing when this happened both times. Like dropping a chicken breast onto the counter.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I love the utter repudiation of the other side compared to the need to fix poo poo in real life. That said that was really drat fun

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I thought the whole first season intro might come back at the end of season 2, so having the music come back was the next best thing. Boy, did I cackle with delight to see Ann Dowd listed on the cast.

Look at the background of the presidential portrait and you'll find people holding up letters that say, "STOP WASTING YOUR BREATH."

Also, the song Evie was singing was used in Matt's season 1 episode very well, so I hope and think it's a callback to that.

EDIT: interesting: no Laurie to be found.

I suspect the season 2 opening music (Let the Mystery Be or whatever it is called) will be used again for the last episode, but I'm open to surprise.

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 29, 2017

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I have a bad feeling the ending of this show may leave me feeling a bit unsatisfied but I'm hoping for the best.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

UmOk posted:

Tonight's episode better have more Kevin.

It had 100% more Kevin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

This episode was really good but also it was a lot like last season's hotel episode so kind of diminishing returns. The Christopher Sunday scene was funny

• Locked thread