Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

exquisite tea posted:

I think ultimately what that guy in the video is getting at but doesn't quite say outright is that most fighting game fans enjoy being enthusiasts and participants in the community but will simply never have the time or skill to master the game. They want to play the same game the pros are playing and talk about it, but the barriers to entry are so high by design that you either have to sacrifice depth or risk alienating everybody beyond the top 1% of players. I think that it's perfectly fine to have a highly technical fighter as long as you also incorporate robust single player features and modes so that people can stay invested no matter their skill level.

It's not always about sacrificing depth to let newer players participate though. Something like Ryu having a narrower time frame to cancel L.Mk into hadouken going from SF2 or 3 to SF4 has no meaningful effect on the complexity of the game. Rather, going into the direction of harder timing for stronger options has the effect of raising the skill floor to be able to access all the tactical options available to the player.

This isn't inherently bad, but striking a balance so that players feel like they can use the most important share of their options for most characters is important imo, with smaller returns on more time invested in timing (again, with most characters), because otherwise you don't really succeed in getting new players to bridge the gap from low to mid level play.

And while more single player modes is nice I don't know that it's the solution for everyone. The people who like participating in the community aren't really getting that wish fulfilled by not being able to play with everyone else. I think lowering the floor for mid-level play (as in, being able to do basic combos and playing with other people competitively but not necessarily being good at the game) solves that problem better.

I think Capcom could bear to take some tips from how Arc System Works did it in Persona 4 Arena. It's surprisingly easy to get into that game because it's designed to make moves both easy to do and have obvious uses you don't need to be in training mode to find, and everyone can punish with a good BnB without having to practice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I bought Assassin's Creed: Syndicate Gold Edition, but didn't download it right away, and now in my library it just shows 2 downloadable skins and wants me to buy the game again. I double checked my receipt and it says "Assassin’s Creed® Syndicate Gold Edition (Full Game and Add-On Content)"

I even went back into the store and that same item still has a price attached to it, unlike Tomb Raider Rising, which I'd already owned at it says "purchased" where the price would be.

In all likelihood if you load all dlc (owned and to purchase) in the store or xmb, the Gold Edition DLC should be free but still has to be purchased (for free).

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

...! posted:

Yeeeeeeeeees! I put insane amounts of time into both the original and Dark Arisen. I can't wait to do it again! Hopefully it'll have a separate trophy list so I can plat it again.

I can't believe I never heard of this happening but I'm kind of glad. Awesome surprise!

It was announced by Capcom just a few days ago so yeah.

The guys in the DD thread (console thread died months ago) are exited too:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759580&goto=lastpost

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HONKER24 posted:

Have you tried checking the individual game listing in the PS Store to see if that is marked as downloadable?

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/assassin%e2%80%99s-creed-syndicate/cid=UP0001-CUSA02389_00-ACVICTORYGAMEPS4

Edit: Worst case scenario is that you'll have to use the PSDLE extension for Chrome to pull up your owned games and download it there.

That's actually what I had to do for the "Bright Lord" DLC for Shadow of Mordor since that now looks to be impossible to download now that the GoTY edition is out.
I ended up using my computer and to download it remotely, which worked, but would have sucked if my PS4 wasn't the primary PS4 on the account, which was true several months ago, my account was hacked and someone else was the primary PS4, thankfully I got that fixed earlier.

Make sure to set up 2 factor login on your ps4.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

I think ultimately what that guy in the video is getting at but doesn't quite say outright is that most fighting game fans enjoy being enthusiasts and participants in the community but will simply never have the time or skill to master the game. They want to play the same game the pros are playing and talk about it, but the barriers to entry are so high by design that you either have to sacrifice depth or risk alienating everybody beyond the top 1% of players. I think that it's perfectly fine to have a highly technical fighter as long as you also incorporate robust single player features and modes so that people can stay invested no matter their skill level.

I'd liken it to how cars work. Some cars are designed for absolute niche markets: extreme racing cars, sports cars, designer vehicles, and so on. These are never intended for mass-market consumption and the average consumer may not even like or find use for those cars, largely due to their lack of utility; similarly, a racist would only want to drive racing cars, and would have no use for a pick-up truck, even if that truck can carry massive amounts of weight.

Now, fighting games have become defined by the role of professional fighting game tournaments, which appeal to a high-skill player base that often use custom controllers for the very purpose of playing these games. They are far and beyond the scope of the average mass market consumer. Games like Mortal Kombat are very simple, visceral and visually appealing fighting games; games like BlazBlue are complicated combo-driven whatevers. These games appeal to totally different markets and they seem to do well in those respective markets. But making a "one-size-fits-all" model of game tends to just result in everyone being disappointed. And I'd say that even a complicated fighting game can be fun for an amateur to play around in, so long as they don't attempt to compete against more skilled players.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

a racist would only want to drive racing cars, and would have no use for a pick-up truck, even if that truck can carry massive amounts of weight..

I don't know, most of the racists I've encountered drove pick-up trucks.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'd liken it to how cars work. Some cars are designed for absolute niche markets: extreme racing cars, sports cars, designer vehicles, and so on. These are never intended for mass-market consumption and the average consumer may not even like or find use for those cars, largely due to their lack of utility; similarly, a racist would only want to drive racing cars, and would have no use for a pick-up truck, even if that truck can carry massive amounts of weight.

Now, fighting games have become defined by the role of professional fighting game tournaments, which appeal to a high-skill player base that often use custom controllers for the very purpose of playing these games. They are far and beyond the scope of the average mass market consumer. Games like Mortal Kombat are very simple, visceral and visually appealing fighting games; games like BlazBlue are complicated combo-driven whatevers. These games appeal to totally different markets and they seem to do well in those respective markets. But making a "one-size-fits-all" model of game tends to just result in everyone being disappointed. And I'd say that even a complicated fighting game can be fun for an amateur to play around in, so long as they don't attempt to compete against more skilled players.

I hate nrs games in both play and look but i would trade my 100 dollar investment in sfv for one of theirs

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

8-Bit Scholar posted:

While I don't think there has to be a one-size fits all for fighting games, I do think people who are heavily invested in the competitive scene tend to underestimate the impact of having a huge casual playerbase. The reason why LoL and Dota are so popular in e-sports isn't because they're the most technically challenging games around, it's because they're accessible to tens of millions of people, who in turn drive up viewership for streams, who in turn generate more tournaments and prize money for the pros. If you want a competitive scene to exist and for top players to actually make money, then it behooves you design wise to retain casual players who may never learn how to frame cancel, but who will watch their favorite player compete. It's good for the health of the FGC to make games accessible to a significant portion of new players, even if they remain highly technical fighters.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't know that most fighting game fans want their scene to look like dota's, though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

homeless snail posted:

I don't know that most fighting game fans want their scene to look like dota's, though.

They're all horrible in their own unique ways.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

While I don't think there has to be a one-size fits all for fighting games, I do think people who are heavily invested in the competitive scene tend to underestimate the impact of having a huge casual playerbase. The reason why LoL and Dota are so popular in e-sports isn't because they're the most technically challenging games around, it's because they're accessible to tens of millions of people, who in turn drive up viewership for streams, who in turn generate more tournaments and prize money for the pros. If you want a competitive scene to exist and for top players to actually make money, then it behooves you design wise to retain casual players who may never learn how to frame cancel, but who will watch their favorite player compete. It's good for the health of the FGC to make games accessible to a significant portion of new players, even if they remain highly technical fighters.

Mobas are popular because they're well designed slot machines that trick people out of hundreds of dollars to get different color wands

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

exquisite tea posted:

you dont know what you're talking about

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Zand posted:

you dont know what you're talking about

Do you?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

What fighting game fans REALLY want is people who haven't touched a game on a level beyond "Oh, I know how to do inputs" talking like they have a perfect idea to 'fix' fighting games, and if they didn't have to spend those pesky minutes learning motions or tricksy finger puzzles, they could definitely win a major now that those arbitrary execution barriers are out of the way.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Mobas are popular because they're well designed slot machines that trick people out of hundreds of dollars to get different color wands

Capcom wants this with fight games

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

What fighting game fans REALLY want is people who haven't touched a game on a level beyond "Oh, I know how to do inputs" talking like they have a perfect idea to 'fix' fighting games, and if they didn't have to spend those pesky minutes learning motions or tricksy finger puzzles, they could definitely win a major now that those arbitrary execution barriers are out of the way.
too bad all the people that celebrated Divekick as some kind of triumph of fg design instead of the joke game that it is didn't form their own scene around that game and disappear forever, like the great RTS -> dota exodus of the 2000s

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Sometimes I think to myself "Man, fighting games are really fun!" and then I remember fighting game fans and I don't want to play them anymore.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

In Training posted:

hmm

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Casnorf posted:

Sometimes I think to myself "Man, fighting games are really fun!" and then I remember fighting game fans and I don't want to play them anymore.

:yossame:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Casnorf posted:

Fight game fans are extremely cool and hate the guys you are thinking of more than you. Also smash isnt a fight game community game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Can we just give a round of applause for a moment for the fighting game release that didn't understand either audience, i.e. that rerelease of Soulcalibur 1 on Xbox 360 years ago that removed the weapon master mode and unlocked everything from the start... but had no online play whatsoever.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

homeless snail posted:

too bad all the people that celebrated Divekick as some kind of triumph of fg design instead of the joke game that it is didn't form their own scene around that game and disappear forever, like the great RTS -> dota exodus of the 2000s

do you want fighting games to die too?!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

I ended up using my computer and to download it remotely, which worked, but would have sucked if my PS4 wasn't the primary PS4 on the account, which was true several months ago, my account was hacked and someone else was the primary PS4, thankfully I got that fixed earlier.

Make sure to set up 2 factor login on your ps4.

When I have this issue, Restoring Licenses seems to suss it out. Give it a shot if it ever happens again.

Settings > Network/Account Manager > Restore Licenses

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Phantasium posted:

Can we just give a round of applause for a moment for the fighting game release that didn't understand either audience, i.e. that rerelease of Soulcalibur 1 on Xbox 360 years ago that removed the weapon master mode and unlocked everything from the start... but had no online play whatsoever.

Don't forget SC2 HD that had bad netcode instead of the good poo poo from SC5/TTT2

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Real hurthling! posted:

Fight game fans are extremely cool and hate the guys you are thinking of more than you. Also smash isnt a fight game community game

This. If you live near a weekly scene and like fighting games you should go check it out at least once. Odds are you'll be welcomed personally by the organizer, get bopped by guys that are really cool about it, get some friendly advice from those same guys, then you'll all go out for wings and make fun of the smelly dudes in the corner that played Smash all night.

Doesn't matter what you play, just go out there and meet some chill people and punch each other virtually.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Sioux posted:

It was announced by Capcom just a few days ago so yeah.

The guys in the DD thread (console thread died months ago) are exited too:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759580&goto=lastpost

The only way that would be worth purchasing would be if they added online coop.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

This. If you live near a weekly scene and like fighting games you should go check it out at least once. Odds are you'll be welcomed personally by the organizer, get bopped by guys that are really cool about it, get some friendly advice from those same guys, then you'll all go out for wings and make fun of the smelly dudes in the corner that played Smash all night.

Doesn't matter what you play, just go out there and meet some chill people and punch each other virtually.

Seriously. This is the best thing you can possibly do if you are even a hint interested. Go out and play people, because the people you're going out and playing with want you to get better since it helps them get better. If you're willing to learn, dedicated, and open minded to trying new stuff out, there is not a single fg group that will reject you. Yeah, it'll take practice, both in group and privately, but it's a lot easier to learn with a group of people who want to help.

It's just very easy to get on the edge and bitter because people who didn't take those steps complaining that <thing> needs to be fixed is just so everpresent, be it a mechanic, character, or the industry as a whole.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There's like one FGC thing within 100kms of me and it's only SF5.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's like one FGC thing within 100kms of me and it's only SF5.

My condolences

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Vakal posted:

The only way that would be worth purchasing would be if they added online coop.

I've heard plenty of goons (myself included) say they would be buying this again even if it's just new textures. It's not gettin co-op, that's what Dragon's Dogma Online is for, unfortunately.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE
I always think most of this newer gaggle of people into fighting games (since mebbe SFIV on) are so afraid of losing in person, since a lot of them are too loving maladjusted to even lose in a matter conducive to skill growth from the comfort of their own couch, that they just discount even like, moderate level fg scenes. Basically bitch made duders bitching about never getting better because they can't lose and go "why did I lose and what do I need to change on my level".

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Sioux posted:

I've heard plenty of goons (myself included) say they would be buying this again even if it's just new textures. It's not gettin co-op, that's what Dragon's Dogma Online is for, unfortunately.

DoggieDogma was a great game, don't get me wrong, but there's tons of great games that I've played that I'm not exactly compelled to rush out and rebuy just because they get prettied up in a new system port. I guess I just don't get the hype.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I concur that fighting games have some of the best communities. Years ago. On a whim I went to someone who hosted a Tekken event in Amsterdam. This was when I was 15 years old and most people were in their late 20's and early 30's. Met some really cool people there. Started going more often. People were really laid back and chill even though most of them absolutely destroyed me at Tekken. The one I remember most is Malekith, who is the reason why I started playing Asuka. Really a cool guy. Fun to hang around with

Edit: Wonder what he's up to now.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 29, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

DoggieDogma was a great game, don't get me wrong, but there's tons of great games that I've played that I'm not exactly compelled to rush out and rebuy just because they get prettied up in a new system port. I guess I just don't get the hype.

Well because it (should) runs better and it's on a newer console where some people might not have a 360/ps3 anymore. And modern ports are always appreciated, I know there's some people who didn't get into dragons dogma because of the terrible last gen performance and letterbox. This could be their chance.

And one day it'll be on sale. Some people might buy it full price, some might wait until the ten dollar flash sale.

Some people never replay games. And that's fine. You do you.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bitch Twinkles posted:

I always think most of this newer gaggle of people into fighting games (since mebbe SFIV on) are so afraid of losing in person, since a lot of them are too loving maladjusted to even lose in a matter conducive to skill growth from the comfort of their own couch, that they just discount even like, moderate level fg scenes. Basically bitch made duders bitching about never getting better because they can't lose and go "why did I lose and what do I need to change on my level".

Yeah, fuckin millenials!

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Has anyone ever been able to contact PlayStation support? Do they have an email address, or just their garbage loving chat thing that doesn't work?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

some of the most mentally tough, and thus, championship caliber fighting game players are world war 2 veterans and also coal miners

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Whoops, it seems I accidentally posted my PS-related question in a thread about dumb fighting games for idiot nerds.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Aardark posted:

Has anyone ever been able to contact PlayStation support? Do they have an email address, or just their garbage loving chat thing that doesn't work?
I've been able to get through to them via the chat thing on a couple occasions. It only really works via desktop PC, but I did get results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Aardark posted:

What region are you in and what issue are you having that you're reaching out to support for (on the off-chance it's an issue that may be user fixable)? I think generally your options are phone and chat only, might be different for certain regions though.