Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

WindyMan posted:

Really easy to do when the cars had a gently caress ton to say this year.

Usually "FWOOSH" in the case of the Hondas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

What the gently caress did I see happen today?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I assumed as much out in the stands hearing it on the scanner, but seeing it on TV... Jay Howard is a jackass. I'll agree with Chip on this one, that had more to do with lack of time in the car than "RHR moved up on me".

Edit: Watching the slow-mo replay from Helio's car... what the hell took the winglet off? Nothing seems to hit it, it just... flies away.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 29, 2017

thisLambo
Aug 28, 2016

IOwnCalculus posted:

I assumed as much out in the stands hearing it on the scanner, but seeing it on TV... Jay Howard is a jackass. I'll agree with Chip on this one, that had more to do with lack of time in the car than "RHR moved up on me".

Edit: Watching the slow-mo replay from Helio's car... what the hell took the winglet off? Nothing seems to hit it, it just... flies away.

I think it was the violence of hitting the pavement/grass as he dove away from (and under!) Dixon and Howard. There was a hell of a spark from the skid plate.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

FuzzySkinner posted:

What the gently caress did I see happen today?

the best thing

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

'Nando in person looked like he was the 2nd coming of AJ in how he was wheeling that car around IMS. Insane how good he was. IMO? Him and Rossi were in a class there own today. (the end results will not show that sadly....). Sato was good too. fwiw.

If money was not in the equation? That dude should be running and (WINNING) IndyCar races. No doubt in my mind he'll be on the Borg Warner if he comes over. None.

do it man. Get McLaren over here and run full time.

e: Maybe Mario is more accurate? Still...the lines he was taking were insane. If not for the Honda grenade? We'd be talking about him winning the "500".

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 29, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I have no doubt Alonso will come back, not sure when though. It's really telling that he didn't seem super disappointed at the end. Alonso is terrible at hiding his emotions so you can pretty much take him at his word. I think he loved the experience.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

I have no doubt Alonso will come back, not sure when though. It's really telling that he didn't seem super disappointed at the end. Alonso is terrible at hiding his emotions so you can pretty much take him at his word. I think he loved the experience.

Yeah, for someone like him who hasn't really been competitive in so long, actually being in the running for so long is probably a big boost of confidence for him.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nando will come back, the when will be when he is no longer contractually obligated to use a Honda engine

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

wicka posted:

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/868927091454205952

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/868925171385737218

Summed it up here.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
There's got to be a pretty decent chance of him doing IndyCar for a year, if only to get him more seat time and acclimation in the runup to the 500 next year. If it really does wind up that there are no winning teams available to drive for in F1 in the immediate future and he's deadset on doing the Triple Crown, it's definitely a option he has to be weighing.

Alternatively, he could stay in F1 for two or three more years than pull an Emmo and take IndyCar by storm well into his 40s. Regardless it seems like he's going to be back in some capacity.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Something I'd love to see but will certainly not happen is McLaren just paying Alonso to race Indycars for a year, and swapping over Rossi or RHR or whoever for the F1 seat.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Something I'd love to see but will certainly not happen is McLaren just paying Alonso to race Indycars for a year, and swapping over Rossi or RHR or whoever for the F1 seat.

I wouldn't rule out anything tbh, if Alonso says "I will re-sign with McLaren if you do X," they will do it.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
I'm still holding out hope that McLaren signs on as a secondary chassis manufacturer

I know why this won't happen, but goddamn it, it should

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I'm still holding out hope that McLaren signs on as a secondary chassis manufacturer

I know why this won't happen, but goddamn it, it should

This.

(someone told me another rumor about them badging the Cosworth fwiw, but I think they'd be better as a chassis manufacturer)

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://twitter.com/TonyJWriter/status/868924811963023360

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I don't know what form it will take but I'm pretty confident McLaren will stay involved in IndyCar. It just makes too much sense.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

What's the problem, he certainly didn't win the online Indy 500

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

uh-oh, someone escaped from the Crapwagon boards

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

wicka posted:

I don't know what form it will take but I'm pretty confident McLaren will stay involved in IndyCar. It just makes too much sense.

I mean, I'd argue that McLaren made their name in Can-Am and Indycar before they found real lasting success in F1 anyway, and IIRC they sell more cars in the US than anywhere else

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The Westgate sports book (formerly Las Vegas Hilton) still calls it the "Izod Indycar Series"

Also I was sort of hoping Jones could have pulled off the victory if Sato came up short. 80/1 odds on my $10 bet was looking good at the end. :unsmith:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I mean, I'd argue that McLaren made their name in Can-Am and Indycar before they found real lasting success in F1 anyway, and IIRC they sell more cars in the US than anywhere else

I just want them back in Indycar because that orange and blue looks magnificent :iamafag:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

its been 14 years since the series has been called the IRL. pretty impressive

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

uh-oh, someone escaped from the Crapwagon boards

THE LEEEEEAGUE MANAGED BY THE FIRL PUT ON SHITFEST WITH THOSE DULL-ARA DEATHSLEDS. OF COURSE FTG GAVE THE COMMAND TOO. I OF COURSE, DIDN'T WATCH.

(Seriously. That realracefan guy was writing threads making fun of Bourdais for getting in a horrible crash two weeks ago. What a sickfuck.)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Well that's what's great about Zak Brown: he knows this. He's aware of McLaren's full history, not just what Ron Dennis created. There's a lot of marketing value in leaning on that history.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I just want them back in Indycar because that orange and blue looks magnificent :iamafag:

wicka posted:

Well that's what's great about Zak Brown: he knows this. He's aware of McLaren's full history, not just what Ron Dennis created. There's a lot of marketing value in leaning on that history.

Yeah, I believe that's why this whole thing happened, and I'm sure he noticed the overwhelmingly positive reaction he got.

When Nando blew up I laughed, but believe me I understand that it was a good thing for Indycar to have McLaren back in such a way. I can take or leave Nando but I absolutely want McLaren involved in American open wheel racing again.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Oh I laughed too only to keep from flying to Japan and firebombing Honda engineers

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I felt like Alonso fit right in with the Indy guys. I doubt many other F1 drivers would enjoy the atmosphere as much as he did. Maybe Button and Perez.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

He loves driving. I don't think he necessarily loves F1 anymore. But 40mil a year?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I'm partial to this beaut:

quote:

I felt like Alonso fit right in with the Indy guys. I doubt many other F1 drivers would enjoy the atmosphere as much as he did. Maybe Button and Perez.

Button has said he'd rather run NASCAR than Indycar. Ricciardo seems like he'd be great fun to have in Indycars but I don't think he's too interested by it either. I wonder what the old timers who still hate Emmo would think of a shoey with the milk...

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 29, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Any F1 driver is a natural fit at Indianapolis, in fact they are a crucial part of the track's history. Most Indycar fans welcome them and want them here, I wish the other side of the pond didn't look down on Indy like they do sometimes.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

FartingBedpost posted:

Are Dan would probably really enjoy it. He'd have a segment on Hinchtown where he'd attempt to get drivers, crew members, team owners, etc. to do a shoey.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I'm partial to this beaut:

Button has said he'd rather run NASCAR than Indycar. Ricciardo seems like he'd be great fun to have in Indycars but I don't think he's too interested by it either. I wonder what the old timers who still hate Emmo would think of a shoey with the milk...

:colbert:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

He loves driving. I don't think he necessarily loves F1 anymore. But 40mil a year?

I'm fairly certain that Alonso's grand scheme is to get rich on Kimoa money and use it to do whatever he wants.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

wicka posted:

I'm fairly certain that Alonso's grand scheme is to get rich on Kimoa money and use it to do whatever he wants.

I'm telling you. We're going to see a Kimoa car on the indy grid.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

VikingSkull posted:

Any F1 driver is a natural fit at Indianapolis, in fact they are a crucial part of the track's history. Most Indycar fans welcome them and want them here, I wish the other side of the pond didn't look down on Indy like they do sometimes.

I seriously doubt drivers like Hamilton or Hulkenburg would like Indy. It's less if they are "welcome" and more like "would they want to?"

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I bet NASCAR is really fun to drive but man oh man is it tedious to watch.

Sergio Perez has interest in it and I think he has the personality to have some fun at Indy.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 29, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah but Hamilton is a loving dilldo so who cares what he likes

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I wonder how Japan will treat Sato because of this?

I've heard the Mazda 787B is held in high regard because of it being a Le Mans wiinner. I know Senna is worshiped for his efforts with McLaren Honda, and apparently the Japanese media "Flocked to japan" after King Hiro made the race in '91.

I imagine that car is joining the Honda collection over in Japan?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

FartingBedpost posted:

I seriously doubt drivers like Hamilton or Hulkenburg would like Indy. It's less if they are "welcome" and more like "would they want to?"

Hamilton had a blast when he swapped cars with Tony Stewart, I think he'd love it tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I wonder how Japan will treat Sato because of this?

I've heard the Mazda 787B is held in high regard because of it being a Le Mans wiinner. I know Senna is worshiped for his efforts with McLaren Honda, and apparently the Japanese media "Flocked to japan" after King Hiro made the race in '91.

I imagine that car is joining the Honda collection over in Japan?

They have some other Honda powered Indy winners, so yes I would fully expect that one to end up there.

• Locked thread