Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

What's especially hilarious about that cartoon is how blogs are supposedly refuting the reporting of two well established and respected newspapers.

"The New York Times sa-"

"No no no! Look at this random blog! It proves that's all bullshit!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

SeersuckerSoldier posted:

Think of the silly hat Brits at the Buckingham as the Marines at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, similar paths to reach those positions.

Ceremonial role, yes; scarily dangerous soldiers, also yes. Getting to the point where you're wearing a beaver fur hat and ignoring tourists takes a long record of service.

Errr... don't call them Marines! Army, specifically 3rd Infantry Regiment, aka "The Old Guard".

On a side note, as a kid I got to go to their barracks, and have a pic of me in one of their bearskins. I do look swamped.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

MrUnderbridge posted:

Errr... don't call them Marines! Army, specifically 3rd Infantry Regiment, aka "The Old Guard".

On a side note, as a kid I got to go to their barracks, and have a pic of me in one of their bearskins. I do look swamped.

Shootymans are shootymans.

Also, remember that Macron said to a french magazine that he deliberately exaggerated the handshake as a joke or something.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Really? This article says the opposite, that Macron basically crushed Trump's hand because he knows that Trump is a fucker who views relationships in terms of power and whatnot.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/868845471112056833

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

BonHair posted:

Shootymans are shootymans.

Also, remember that Macron said to a french magazine that he deliberately exaggerated the handshake as a joke or something.

Lol I was looking around to find more info on this, and Macron is all talking about how "our diplomacy will have to be frank, to the point and virile" and this handshake was a show of virility in the face of a macho man

I also found this pic

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MrUnderbridge posted:

no-one cares about it other then people in the military, and well the day i start respecting the military is the day i've been brainwashed into being a patriot

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

What's especially hilarious about that cartoon is how blogs are supposedly refuting the reporting of two well established and respected newspapers.

"The New York Times sa-"

"No no no! Look at this random blog! It proves that's all bullshit!"

it's been conspiracy MO since forever, remember loose change?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Lol I was looking around to find more info on this, and Macron is all talking about how "our diplomacy will have to be frank, to the point and virile" and this handshake was a show of virility in the face of a macho man

I also found this pic

I haven't given Macron much thought before, now I want him to creep on Trump on a regular basis.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I haven't given Macron much thought before, now I want him to creep on Trump on a regular basis.

Hes a younger, more handsome man who married older.
He is already beyond trumps range of comprehension.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I also found this pic

Heeeere's Manny!

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

One year after they inexplicably gave the prize to Michael Ramirez, the National Cartoonists Society has just given the Reuben Award to Ann Telnaes.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Shangri-Law School posted:

One year after they inexplicably gave the prize to Michael Ramirez, the National Cartoonists Society has just given the Reuben Award to Ann Telnaes.

Good, she deserves it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Really? This article says the opposite, that Macron basically crushed Trump's hand because he knows that Trump is a fucker who views relationships in terms of power and whatnot.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/868845471112056833

my new least favorite thing about trump is that he's making me like a former investment banker

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I would love to see photoshops of Macron lurking in Trump's closet, Branco Obama style.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Shangri-Law School posted:

They also gave an award Ruben Bolling for Donald & John.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

my new least favorite thing about trump is that he's making me like a former investment banker

Trump has made me kinda like Lindsey Graham at times. Not all the time of course

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Trump has made Justin Trudeau's job the easiest in the world. Just don't be Trump and people will love you. Well, except insane Albertans who would hate him no matter what.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
swap alberta and washington state imo

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Admitting Puerto Rico was a bridge too far.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pakled posted:

I assume that's in reference to the Seth Rich stuff which... yeah, Trump's not the one that's doing that.

It really is.

Wow, his fingers really ARE stubby.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Basic lever principle means that to balance this, all he needs to do is get the entitlements closer to him while pushing the taxpayers away.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

Trump has made Justin Trudeau's job the easiest in the world. Just don't be Trump and people will love you. Well, except insane Albertans who would hate him no matter what.

TBF those Albertans are usually the kind of Canadians that would love Trump.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Improbable Lobster posted:

TBF those Albertans are usually the kind of Canadians that would love Trump.

I saw a guy wearing a Make America Great Again hat on the bus the week Trump won election (in central Alberta), so yeah, you can't help some people.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Yes yes, those pesky entitlements like "Drinking water" and "Food."

What Bloated Military Budget???

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

They also gave an award Ruben Bolling for Donald & John.

"Mick" Luckovitch also won for Editorial Cartoons, and David Rowe won for Newspaper Illustration.

Of course, Dustin also won for Newspaper Cartoon, but you can't have 'em all.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Every time I see one of these Trump is being sucked a bit further into that black hole out of the frame behind him.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

so this guy is pretty much left-wing Jarlsberg, then?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Samurai Sanders posted:

Every time I see one of these Trump is being sucked a bit further into that black hole out of the frame behind him.

Its kind of similar to how Ramirez's Obama caricature eventually just lost the concept of width, only it actually works since it emphasizes traits of Trump that actually exist.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fulchrum posted:

Its kind of similar to how Ramirez's Obama caricature eventually just lost the concept of width, only it actually works since it emphasizes traits of Trump that actually exist.

I know it will never happen but I kind of want another four years of Obama so Ramirez could finally just draw a pair of ears and a pair of eyebrows hovering menacingly over a badly drawn suit.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Angepain posted:

so this guy is pretty much left-wing Jarlsberg, then?

Not really. Jarlsberg pretends he's a cartoonist, and tries to adopt a paneled structure similar to a cartoonist. Middle Age Riots whole deal is pairing clip art with bitter, snarky captions, and makes no real claims to do anything else.

Its closer in style to a left wing and based in reality version of Liberal Logic 101's shareables. Somewhere out there, the anti-Fulchrum is trying to pull them together into the heaven-dump, while replying with the phrase "SHILLARYS EMAILS!" over and over.

One day I will meet this anti-me. And we shall duel to the death for the fate of the world.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 29, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

2017 Gorrell Award for Excellence in Laziness right here

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

One day I will meet this anti-me. And we shall duel to the death for being correct on the internet points.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Could someone tell me about Herblock?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Electric Phantasm posted:

Could someone tell me about Herblock?

I was actually thinking about doing a Herblock mega post. Give me a few hours and I'll get it together.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Herbert Block, (1909 - 2001)

Okay, so let's start with the biggest criticism of the man: nothing about Herblock's artwork particularly stands out. He was a very competent artist, but his style was absolutely the same style of most major cartoonists of the 1920's and 1930's, falling square into the "slightly rotund everyman gawks at slightly caricatured politicians interacting with giant objects anthropomorphising major issues of the day". To wit:

Here's his contemporary, Bill Maudlin, for an example of the same style:

No, Herblock didn't get to be famous for his artwork. What he got famous for was for being brazen, being willing to call politicians out for slimy behavior, and being able to do it so effectively and so directly that he actually led political thought rather than simply reacted to it like most of his contemporaries (or most of our current crop of political cartoonists, many of whom seem to wait to see what the party line is before putting their cartoons together.)

For example, in the late 1940's and early 1950's, Washington fell victim to a number of demagogues screaming about how Communists had invaded the federal bureaucracy and were looking to sabotage everything we did in the name of making Capitalism fail and the USSR succeed. As the Washington Post's lead editorial cartoonist, of course Herblock had to comment upon it.

When this happened, there were a number of Senators and Congressmen seen as beating that drum, including the House Unamerican Activities Committee (HUAC, which would make life hell for many people over the next decade); but Herblock focused on one person as the most outspoken and the ringleader, and brandished the entire effort with his name:

McCarthyism.

In a time period when most politicians and opinion-writers lost their backbone and refused to criticize McCarthy and the HUAC for fear of being smeared as a Red, Herblock remained outspoken in calling McCarthy a thug with blood on his hands, and lambasted the Republican Party for being unwilling to do anything to stop him.

Wait - who's that guy in the middle on that last one?

Oh, right.

In his memoirs, Herblock stated that he almost called it "Nixonism" rather than "McCarthyism", as Richard Nixon's outrageous allegations against Alger Hiss, followed by his overwhelmingly red-baiting campaign for the Senate in 1950, made Nixon seem just as opportunist a demagogue as McCarthy. Herblock's disgust and dislike for Nixon and his tactics stood out from the first cartoon he drew with Nixon in it as a child pretending to be a grown-up:

to his reaction to then-Vice President Nixon's 1954 cross-country tour to specifically call out legislators he saw as "soft on communism", in a cartoon that is probably his most famous:

an allegory he was massively criticized by Republicans for, for which Nixon publicly cancelled his subscription to the Post, and which Herblock refused to drop, as shown in this 1958 cartoon:

Really, Nixon and Herblock are constantly entwined. Herblock defined Nixon's public anti-image - the used car salesman with the constant five o'clock shadow, slinging mud and slime everywhere and getting it on everyone he was around. And Nixon hated Herblock for it.

And Herblock hated Nixon.

But, come 1968, Nixon was elected President, and even Herblock agreed that it would be best for the country to allow the President the full chance to govern.

And so things continued. Bumpy, rocky, Herblock continuing to needle the Nixon Administration over Vietnam, over inflation crises, over civil rights.

And then.

I can't do justice to Herblock's Watergate cartoons in a single post, especially one that's already way too long.

Suffice to say, the Washington Post was seen as leading the journalistic investigation into Watergate, and Herblock was their political cartoonist.

And Herblock felt it incumbent upon himself to put out the best cartoons he could to highlight and educate on Watergate, from the Saturday Night Massacre:

To the fighting end:

Herblock won four Pulitzer Prizes for his work, though one of them was for the entire Washington Post for its 1973 investigative work into Watergate. He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1994. After his death in 2001, the Herb Block foundation was established to champion the freedoms he cherished and protected; and as part of its work in protecting the freedom of the press, it gives out the annual Herblock prize in cartooning.

:nsfw: http://imgur.com/a/OYN81 :nsfw:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

skeleton warrior posted:

Herbert Block, (1909 - 2001)

You're a swell fella.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Do you think that someone like Jon Oliver would get that kind of recognition in the future?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Seeing some of Herblock's early work for the Chicago Daily News, before his distinctive, clean style developed, would also be neat.

A really brief but broad overview from the Atlantic

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 29, 2017

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

Richard Nixon's outrageous allegations against Alger Hiss, followed by his overwhelmingly red-baiting campaign for the Senate in 1950, made Nixon seem just as opportunist a demagogue as McCarthy.

To be fair, in retrospect, Nixon was totally right about Hiss. Nixon's Senate campaign really was outrageous, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Did anyone else think Herblock's McCarthy looked like a stereotypical drunken Irishman? Granted, McCarthy was a drunken (part)Irishman.

• Locked thread