Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Onmi posted:

Be stronger than the AI, and bribe them every turn, which raises their love of you.

EDIT: So I'm taking another swing at the whole Lord of Thunder thing. I think I need something clarified

http://puu.sh/w3aqz/3c6600d83f.png

So this is the Character Skills Table, in short, I don't know how this in the abilities table
>wh_main_lord_abilities_ice_storm
Related to this in the Character Skills Table
>wh_main_skill_emp_lord_midden_marshal_ice_storm

In comparison, I have

wh_main_spell_bound_urannons_thunderbolt_upgraded
and I need to make it relate to
wh_main_skill_all_magic_heavens_05_urannons_thunderbolt

There is an intermediary. Skills grant effects, effects grant abilities, as far as I know. You'll need to create an effect and then have it enable the ability via effect_bonus_value_unit_ability_junctions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Given that it has had time to come out and be worked on, is the Radious unit/base game overhaul set of mods worth it or just likely to add unnecessary grogging?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Last time i checked Radious had made some sort of abomination chariot thing with almost every buff in the game..

Oh i found it:

Oh and theres a billion more units for every faction because MORE IS COOL RIGHT???

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Innerguard posted:

Given that it has had time to come out and be worked on, is the Radious unit/base game overhaul set of mods worth it or just likely to add unnecessary grogging?

I'm looking at the Googledocs unit list right now and it's a nightmare of clobbered-together bullshit.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Will give it a miss. Thanks folks.
I've got the banner mod mentioned in this thread and a couple of visual tweaks, any other required / really recommended things?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gejnor posted:

Last time i checked Radious had made some sort of abomination chariot thing with almost every buff in the game..

Oh i found it:

Oh and theres a billion more units for every faction because MORE IS COOL RIGHT???

What on god's green earth is happening in this screenshot

Lords of change can't even ride chariots, for starters.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Lances & Bardong

Half the comments I get for the tier 4 mod at this point are people (usually aggressively) asking why the tier 4 have less garrison/income than tier 3 when using Radious or if it works with radious. Both of those things are covered in the description, and I'm pretty sure both are in bold text at this point.

It really pulls in the lowest common denominator of player who think Radious is responsible for the game being good and that CA is completely inept even though most of his overhaul is just vomiting into the tables after awhile.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 28, 2017

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Gejnor posted:

Oh i found it:

This single screenshots is the best argument against Radious mods I've ever seen.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
A lot of the cosmetic mods are good. I use the one that makes all the empire factions visually distinct, bigger orcs, proper beastmen size, beastmen color variation, horse color variation, boar color variation, etc.

They're not necessary by any means but I didn't like that literally every horse in the world was brown.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Old grumblers?

lol

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mazz posted:

Lances & Bardong

Half the comments I get for the tier 4 mod at this point are people (usually aggressively) asking why the tier 4 have less garrison/income than tier 3 when using Radious or if it works with radious. Both of those things are covered in the description, and I'm pretty sure both are in bold text at this point.

It really pulls in the lowest common denominator of player who think Radious is responsible for the game being good and that CA is completely inept even though most of his overhaul is just vomiting into the tables after awhile.

The cult of Radious started when Rome 2 came out as a mess and Darth retired from Total War modding, so he made a good mod and since then everyone who second-guesses CA's decisions on principle (but somehow still buys their games) have been treating his mods as a necessary element of their game. Blame Total War Center.

That said, Radious Warhammer blows and he's too deep into his own rear end to realize that; Steel Faith is the superior overhaul mod by far, even if it is not perfect.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Gejnor posted:

Oh i found it:

Wait, this isn't a joke/debug unit?
That's actually meant to be used like that?

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Gejnor posted:

Oh i found it:

It's so dense, every single screenshot has so many things going on.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Pretty sure I will regret this, but I must ask: What the heck is a bardong?

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

That is the most Radious screenshot I have ever seen. What a loving monstrosity hahaha.

bardong

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Pretty sure I will regret this, but I must ask: What the heck is a bardong?

It's supposed to be barding, as in horse barding.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

A bardong is like a bard, but with cocks instead of music

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

ZearothK posted:

The cult of Radious started when Rome 2 came out as a mess and Darth retired from Total War modding, so he made a good mod and since then everyone who second-guesses CA's decisions on principle (but somehow still buys their games) have been treating his mods as a necessary element of their game. Blame Total War Center.

That said, Radious Warhammer blows and he's too deep into his own rear end to realize that; Steel Faith is the superior overhaul mod by far, even if it is not perfect.

Steel faith guy is p. Cool, he asked me some stuff and puts a ton of work into that thing based on how much he's doing it on Steam

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gejnor posted:

Oh i found it:

This looks like a parody screenshot.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gejnor posted:

Oh i found it:

chaos chariots with a blessing of the lady hahahahah

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Mordja posted:

This looks like a parody screenshot.

In these dire times, Poe's law is the only law.

Mans posted:

chaos chariots with a blessing of the lady hahahahah

No see, this works because Tzeentch is a tricksy bastard who's the god of magic so his followers can totally replicate the power of the lady through their magical supremacy. If you disagree, then gently caress you, you just don't understand the greatness that is Radious.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Alright, using Mammon's Dawi Lord Skill Overhaul on top of all my current mods, I'm going to test one of my theories regarding Dwarf mid-game army compositions: can Quarrelers be replaced by Steam Gun Gyrocopters?

Quarrelers can deal more damage against targets with a lot more ammo thanks to skills, tech upgrades, and Master Engineer support. They're probably the better choice in terms of killing enemy shooters and cavalry units, but have to maneuver when the melee starts, even with their arcing shots.

Gyrocopters have unparalleled mobility and splash damage through both their steam guns and bombs. However, I am convinced that the edge Quarrelers have in terms of anti-ranged and anti-cavalry abilities isn't enough to beat out the flexibility of the Gyrocopter, since they can engage the enemy as they advance, shoot into their backs, and drop bombs for some brutal spike damage.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gyrocopters always look like they do poo poo damage to me?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Gyrocopters always look like they do poo poo damage to me?

I dunno about vanilla gyrocopters, but in SFO the steam gun and bomb combo easily gets them a hundred kills minimum. Now, quarrelers usually can get the same, but they're a lot more dependent on positioning and most of those kills end up coming from shooting routers dead. Gyrocopters can get them during the scrum, which is a lot more valuable in actual battles.

EDIT: OK, just did some brief testing against gobbos. Turns out both vanilla and SFO gyros are routing and decimating them super quickly; even if they're poo poo-tier units, routing tarpits quickly is still very good. Gyrocopters might be a lot more legit now, try them out.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 28, 2017

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

ZearothK posted:

His overhaul for Rome 2 was also garbage, though? There really isn't a good excuse for it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Wallet posted:

His overhaul for Rome 2 was also garbage, though? There really isn't a good excuse for it.

PERSIAN IMMORTAL ELEPHANTS RIDERS ALSO THEY ARE ELITE ARCHERS

It was Shogun 2 where I liked Radious. Big, frequent battles, and unit diversity that the setting IMO benefited from. Unfortunately that philosophy didn't translate well to the newer games.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

toasterwarrior posted:

Alright, using Mammon's Dawi Lord Skill Overhaul on top of all my current mods, I'm going to test one of my theories regarding Dwarf mid-game army compositions: can Quarrelers be replaced by Steam Gun Gyrocopters?

Quarrelers can deal more damage against targets with a lot more ammo thanks to skills, tech upgrades, and Master Engineer support. They're probably the better choice in terms of killing enemy shooters and cavalry units, but have to maneuver when the melee starts, even with their arcing shots.

Gyrocopters have unparalleled mobility and splash damage through both their steam guns and bombs. However, I am convinced that the edge Quarrelers have in terms of anti-ranged and anti-cavalry abilities isn't enough to beat out the flexibility of the Gyrocopter, since they can engage the enemy as they advance, shoot into their backs, and drop bombs for some brutal spike damage.

Did checkerboard formation die out at some point since I first got this game?

Neither crossbows nor handgunners have to maneuver in my total wars, just stretch your infantry too wide and ctrl-down-arrow them to be squares. The AI, being an idiot AI, will lap its units round your squares and give your missiles a clean shot into its flanks. If you put your lord in one of the gaps and bait the AI lord into it then you can murder him too even if he's a fully upgraded Grimgor and you're a level 1 Gelt, bc your gunners will basically never miss or do friendly fire on such a target.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone played through that Storm of Chaos mod? Does it have any cool end game set piece battles?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Steel Faith is the best overhaul don't even consider Radious. It's absolutely the superior way of playing the game when you've gotten good at vanilla. It makes factions more cool, different, and fun to fight. Magic is worth using. It specifically makes the Empire experience just so, so much better.

Honestly, except for the nonsensical autoresolve maths, it's how the game should have been originally. You HAVE to unite the provinces, and get ready for the real fights because each province will get gobbled up by some terrible thing, be it vampires, orcs, demons, or Bretonnians conquering Nordland. You'll face down 4+ stacks of greenskins, 4+ stacks of vampires (led by super-saiyan vampires), chaos armies that are actually really really hard to beat, and Franz ain't got no time for bullshit. So he has to conquer them for their own survival. It's worth playing the diplomacy game, bailing dudes out, and doing anything to unite the provinces.

Weirdly, Balthasar Gelt is a really good wizard because Gehenna's Golden Hounds gets 400+ kills each cast and searing doom is a VERY strong counter to ethereal units, and every wizard gets a LOT more winds of magic so you get a lot more casts and all the spells are more worthwhile.

But the best part of it all is that it's not some lovely Radious-esque thing that adds every single unit to every faction, and makes the fights lovely and tedious. Steel Faith is great. It really hits home the concept that Empire has nothing going for it except for gunpowder, desperation, and maybe a strong economy based on frilly hats. But it's a whole hell of a lot of gunpowder, desperation, and frilly hats.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

jokes posted:

But it's a whole hell of a lot of gunpowder, desperation, and frilly hats.

I gave up as the Empire when I got a daisy-chain of declarations of war upon after kicking the crap out of Sylvania and readying for the invasion, if Steel Faith makes it HARDER i can't even

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

toasterwarrior posted:

EDIT: OK, just did some brief testing against gobbos. Turns out both vanilla and SFO gyros are routing and decimating them super quickly; even if they're poo poo-tier units, routing tarpits quickly is still very good. Gyrocopters might be a lot more legit now, try them out.

Gyrocopters are good against low armor, masses troops. Against armored units their damage is poor. Quarrelers can last till endgame although they're not as good as handgunners against armor. So I'd say no, they can't replace quarrelers but it's fun to have a couple in your army.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

dead comedy forums posted:

I gave up as the Empire when I got a daisy-chain of declarations of war upon after kicking the crap out of Sylvania and readying for the invasion, if Steel Faith makes it HARDER i can't even

It's a bit harder, but just because it's different than the normal game and you can't rely on autoresolve apparently.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Ammanas posted:

Gyrocopters are good against low armor, masses troops. Against armored units their damage is poor. Quarrelers can last till endgame although they're not as good as handgunners against armor. So I'd say no, they can't replace quarrelers but it's fun to have a couple in your army.

They might just mean when using my mod, since I split the skills that boost old fashioned ranged troops and gunpowder troops into 2 mutually exclusive skill lines. This was specifically because I eventually found myself making the exact same army compositions and taking the same lord skills after playing dwarfs a half dozen times. I like dwarfs a lot but it was starting to feel stale.

Even without the mod I've found Gyrocopters really good due to splash damage. I think they'd be better than quarrelers if enemy range wasn't such a hard counter to them. And if they had more ammo, they really run out too fast.

Toasterwarrior, do you run into issues with gyrcopter ammo? I'm wondering if bonus ammo might be more useful and relevant for the skill that improves them than armor.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 29, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Wallet posted:

There is an intermediary. Skills grant effects, effects grant abilities, as far as I know. You'll need to create an effect and then have it enable the ability via effect_bonus_value_unit_ability_junctions.

that's what I've been missing, thank you.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
One great asset Gyrocopters have, especially vs undead is that if there is a reinforcing army coming in some distance away, you can send your gyrocopters out there to harass them. If they have to cross a decent distance to get to your main army, then the copters will have time to inflict serious damage, and without flyers the undead opponent won't be able to stop them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Still not working, I don't know what's wrong now.

Once more, I have no idea what it is I'm missing.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

They might just mean when using my mod, since I split the skills that boost old fashioned ranged troops and gunpowder troops into 2 mutually exclusive skill lines. This was specifically because I eventually found myself making the exact same army compositions and taking the same lord skills after playing dwarfs a half dozen times. I like dwarfs a lot but it was starting to feel stale.

Even without the mod I've found Gyrocopters really good due to splash damage. I think they'd be better than quarrelers if enemy range wasn't such a hard counter to them. And if they had more ammo, they really run out too fast.

Toasterwarrior, do you run into issues with gyrcopter ammo? I'm wondering if bonus ammo might be more useful and relevant for the skill that improves them than armor.

Yeah, it's because of your mod that I'm trying out this whole thing in the first place. I noticed that +melee/missile damage affects both normal and AP damage (but not splash damage, sadly), and Gyrocopters getting some good damage and reload rate boosts with your changes makes them a lot more convincing to use over Quarrelers. Otherwise, vanilla/SFO skill trees and Master Engineer support let Quarrelers win out in the end.

I haven't gotten to that point yet, Mammon; I'll let you know once I can recruit and use Gyrocopters in my campaign.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Did checkerboard formation die out at some point since I first got this game?

I know full well how to use checkerboards, but I've gotten too weary of managing the firing angles of 10-12 ranged units per my Dwarf army composition. Sometimes enemy Lords slip through your lines, sometimes flying units just barrel through concentrated anti-air fire. I'd like to mix things up for once.

Solidkgb
Apr 11, 2015

I was playing TW-Warhammer a few months back and came across the best...or worst NPC commander name.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Wow, ok, either a vanilla patch or SFO changed how they work but Dwarf blasting charges explode on impact in my game and they are brutal as gently caress at stopping charges dead and laying into flanks. Mammon's mod also has a technology-line skill that doubles blasting charge reserves on top of the usual ammo techs and skills, so a miner unit can toss a disgusting amount of explosives. A great weapon unit will still do better in an extended melee, but the burst damage is incredible, which I suppose is the whole shtick of the technologist line compared to traditionalist and survivalist lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

toasterwarrior posted:

Wow, ok, either a vanilla patch or SFO changed how they work but Dwarf blasting charges explode on impact in my game and they are brutal as gently caress at stopping charges dead and laying into flanks. Mammon's mod also has a technology-line skill that doubles blasting charge reserves on top of the usual ammo techs and skills, so a miner unit can toss a disgusting amount of explosives. A great weapon unit will still do better in an extended melee, but the burst damage is incredible, which I suppose is the whole shtick of the technologist line compared to traditionalist and survivalist lines.

Blasting charges have always exploded on impact.

• Locked thread