Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
They could make a Draenor map where you open the portal and an army of orcs attacks the other team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Get Innocuous! posted:

Isn't that the game design philosophy though? When D.Va "dies", she doesn't die but goes into a sort of weakened state where she has less health, does less damage, but by surviving long enough she can eventually move back to her normal status. The player is rewarded for making due despite being so vulnerable.

Instead in HotS she does stupid amounts of damage out of her mech in comparison to how much damage she does in her mech to the point where it is often encouraged to stay out of the mech for as long as possible to maximize performance. Also, good loving luck trying to kill her.

That's how it's supposed to work in Overwatch yeah, though it doesn't frequently work out that way in practice. Pilot D.Va pops out in a fairly predictable trajectory and has as much health as Tracer, making her the most vulnerable hero in the game, so more often than not what happens is you eject from your mech and instantly feed 150 hitpoints of ult charge to whoever killed you unless it happened from long range. HotSes implementation actually feels more dynamic and interesting to me in that there are upsides and downsides to both modes while in Overwatch it feels more like a minor gimmick that only infrequently pays off.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

jimmydalad posted:

I've seen D'vas in games die because they overestimate their survivability out of mech and die just before they can get back in.

Yeah, it is downright tragic to watch someone get their dick kicked off in the 4 seconds it takes for Self-Destruct to fire.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Something else I've noticed about pilot D.Va having watched Grubby and Pallytime and some other YouTube personalities play her and against her is it seems like nobody ever focuses on her until it's too late. She's really squishy and vulnerable and nobody ever takes Torpedo Dash but as soon as she's out of the mech people just fuckin ignore her and let her pink away at them until their health bar is halfway melted before they finally go "oh poo poo someone's shooting at me" and then it's too late.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

jimmydalad posted:

Except that you can literally be jumped on, have no escape unless you pick the talents for it and fall over to a stiff breeze. I've seen D'vas in games die because they overestimate their survivability out of mech and die just before they can get back in. I don't think it's fair to say that you don't give up anything.

The point is that you don't willingly give up your survivability for damage, you give it up because you died or you used one of your abilities that forces you to do it for a few seconds, at which point you can get it back in a matter of seconds.

Like, Cho'Gall gives up survivability for damage (Or damage for survivability). D.va does not. She just gets a free extra life where she does more damage and can effortlessly get back into her mech unless you immediately dive her.

vvvEDIT: Oh look, it's another dipshit who doesn't understand my gimmick.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 29, 2017

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Oh right, this is Shadowlyger. His gimmick in the WoW subforum is to insist that Blizzard is never wrong about anything ever. Guess he's trying something different for HotS.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What do you do as Probius against divers like Illidan besides pray?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Ciaphas posted:

Die. You can also die.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Sometimes you can press R and take them with you as you die.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

hit Z at the right time and hope they're too stupid to chase. otherwise just die and wait for the game to end.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thought as much. drat me but QM is getting frustrating.

Also am I crazy or does the 3 active pylons part of the Pylon heroic upgrade at 20 just not work?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 29, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

use Z to run and let your cannon screw him up

No the level 20 talent seems spotty at best.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I've just been spamming Tyrande last few days and I feel like I'm pretty capable in almost any circumstance of putting up both assassin-level dps numbers and pure healer level healing numbers. She seems really solid for QM but it's a lot of stress and micromanagement to make all her poo poo work together.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

D.Va is pretty killable, just murder her when she's out of her mech, if not focus on avoiding/stunning her while you focus every other person down, then clean her up. In the mech she's annoying but not that dangerous.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Sylvanas mind control ult is super easy to land and pretty much 100% guarantees a free kill on anyone out of position. The later the game is, the better since respawn timers get so long. The silence arrow is a bigger skill shot and looks way cooler to land, but dragging a hero right into your team with no chance to attack or cast anything is so good.

What other ults are this deadly? I have Varian, but actually have never tried him. His taunt sounds like the same kind of thing. Any other suggestions?

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
ETC's mosh pit, probably

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

p-hop posted:

Sylvanas mind control ult is super easy to land and pretty much 100% guarantees a free kill on anyone out of position. The later the game is, the better since respawn timers get so long. The silence arrow is a bigger skill shot and looks way cooler to land, but dragging a hero right into your team with no chance to attack or cast anything is so good.

What other ults are this deadly? I have Varian, but actually have never tried him. His taunt sounds like the same kind of thing. Any other suggestions?

I would really strongly suggest wailing arrow over mind control. The number of times a Sylvanus has buried a Malfurion or ETC in the middle of my team so that they can lock us all down at once is staggering.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Don't listen to this man, take Mind Control and hit a Murky with it.

God, that never gets old. I think I had an Uther waste his divine storm on me today. I still killed him.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Wailing arrow is a ranged aoe silence and isn't channeled. That's almost as good as twilight dream. Please take the ult that has ranged aoe silence.

Alternatively, take mind control when they have abathur and spend all game trying to mind control him

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I still laugh when someone MCs a sieged-up Hammer. Sure I guess it's basically trading stun for stun but you can't move her and it usually ends up with a dead Sylvanas.

I do think Mind Control has uses if you pick good targets and good moments for it. Wailing Arrow is absolutely better in a vacuum or on a coordinated team, no doubt. But it's a lot easier to get a couple of pubbies to capitalize on the Valla bee-lining it directly towards your melee assassins than it is to land a group silence sometimes.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I usually see mind control used to turn an enemy team backing off into a kill

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I preffer arrow because mind control requires your team to capitalize on it, and most won't.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Arrow can make any engage pretty one-sided and you don't lose dps, mobility, or black arrow. It can also save your dumb friends that are caught out of position, without having to go out of position yourself.

Mind control is fun and sometimes kills, which is okay.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I dunno why you'd ever take Mind Control over Wailing Arrow. It's a 2.5 second AoE silence which to me seems so much stronger than giving up being able to move and do damage to move one member of the enemy team.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Wailing Arrow is just hands down better in the teamfight. MC has its strengths on skirmish engagements, but MC has no value 1v1. Wailing arrow is the better teamfight and skirmish ult.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
How important is "The meta" in this game really? Coming from Dota 2, where pretty much every hero is viable in ranked, I hear so much about only some heroes being in "the meta" in HotS, with tier lists being common. Is it really an important thing, or are most people overestimating the importance of picking the "right" hero? I'm not talking about the professional games here, just regular ranked play.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Sjonkel posted:

How important is "The meta" in this game really? Coming from Dota 2, where pretty much every hero is viable in ranked, I hear so much about only some heroes being in "the meta" in HotS, with tier lists being common. Is it really an important thing, or are most people overestimating the importance of picking the "right" hero? I'm not talking about the professional games here, just regular ranked play.
I'd say there's always a few heroes that are pretty much universally viable. The majority of them are viable, but it's draft and map dependent. More than tiers, I'd say it's important to know when to pick the heroes that you're good at.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Sjonkel posted:

Not that important. I'd say the bigger issue with hots is some heroes can do everything that needs to be done and pick up the slack for incompetent teammates who picked heroes that should be doing that thing while other heroes have deficiencies in one or more areas and rely on their teammates to play competently. You never want to do the latter on purpose in HotS.

The good news is, all the roles have heroes who can do what I described. The bad news is, lots of heroes can't. And there's no rhyme or reason to it, because the heroes who have huge deficiencies in one area often don't excel anymore in other areas than heroes who don't.

You can still play the heroes with deficiencies. In fact, they often are the meta and are real good. It's just not the life for me if I solo queue.

Oh, there are universally bad heroes sometimes. DotA has those too though. Only a few heroes fall into this category.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 29, 2017

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sjonkel posted:

Its a little important. If you went to hotslogs.com and sorted by popularity, those are the heroes that the "community" has decided either work in most compositions are are the strongest heroes in their classes right now. Nobody would bat an eye if you picked the most popular hero for what you're looking for. If you picked something at the bottom of the list, you would probably want a very good reason to pick them because they are niche heroes. If your goal is to move up in ranks, you should know and be able to play the best couple of heroes from each archetype. Playing meta heroes should help you move up faster, but up to about Diamond (?) you can pick anyone for a role you like. If you wanted a ranged auto attacker, you could certainly pick any one of Falstad, Raynor, Cassia, Tychus, Greymane, or Valla without significantly affecting your chance of winning any given game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Wailing Arrow is a crappier Artanis ult but that's not saying much because holy poo poo can you swing a team fight immediately with either one.

Mind Control meanwhile lets you gently caress with one person and if your team is stupid and doesn't pounce on them it's literally a waste.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Artanis' ult is a blind, preventing auto attacks. Wailing Arrow is a silence, preventing abilities. Wailing Arrow is far more effective at shutting down an entire team's damage than Artanis' ult.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

EdRush posted:

Its a little important. If you went to hotslogs.com and sorted by popularity, those are the heroes that the "community" has decided either work in most compositions are are the strongest heroes in their classes right now. Nobody would bat an eye if you picked the most popular hero for what you're looking for. If you picked something at the bottom of the list, you would probably want a very good reason to pick them because they are niche heroes. If your goal is to move up in ranks, you should know and be able to play the best couple of heroes from each archetype. Playing meta heroes should help you move up faster, but up to about Diamond (?) you can pick anyone for a role you like. If you wanted a ranged auto attacker, you could certainly pick any one of Falstad, Raynor, Cassia, Tychus, Greymane, or Valla without significantly affecting your chance of winning any given game.

To expand on this a little, multiple heroes fit roles like dive, bruiser, siege, waveclear, etc. You need to draft for and against different things based on map and opponent comp. If you draft a team without any waveclear, you're going to constantly be a man down while someone struggles to clear mercs/the remnant of any push before you are giving up free extra damage. Likewise, if your opponent first picks a Chromie or a Hammer and you don't pick up any way to actually threaten them, be it another siege hero, a dive hero, or a slippery assassin (Zera, Sam, Genji), you will probably have a bad game. This is why when new heroes come out there is a lot of talk about being a niche late pick because they capitalize on weaknesses or pounce on a type of hero that the other team might omitt/overcommit to (see: Cassia last pick into a team of all AA's, even moreso if you have another blind on your own team). Things get more specific on certain maps, like waveclear and poke being important on maps like Cursed or Infernal, merc camp taking being impotrant on Black Heart, or point control being important on Braxxis or Dragonshire. All of this is also why you'll see "all around" heroes like Gul'Dan, Jaina, or Valla go early in picks because they can team fight and waveclear well with flexibility in builds to match opposing teams that form while giving your later picks the flexibility to counterpick your opponents team.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Onean posted:

Artanis' ult is a blind, preventing auto attacks. Wailing Arrow is a silence, preventing abilities. Wailing Arrow is far more effective at shutting down an entire team's damage than Artanis' ult.

There's also 50 million sources of blind, and a tiny handful of stuff that silences.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Any stun is basically a root, a blind and a silence.

For example, Mind Control is both a stun and a silence and a displacement effect on a single target.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Gustav posted:

Any stun is basically a root, a blind and a silence.

For example, Mind Control is both a stun and a silence and a displacement effect on a single target.

Isn't it also effectively a self stun

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

There's one guaranteed way to get a random team to focus on a single target, and it's Gul'dan casting Life Drain on a minion.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Fuzz posted:

Wailing Arrow is a crappier Artanis ult

:thunk:

I'd love to hear this explanation.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Weighing in on Wailing Arrow vs Mind Control:

Wailing Arrow can shut down the entire enemy team's ability use, which is enormously useful when both teams are totally engaged in fighting. The trick is using it early so the enemy doesn't have the opportunity to throw out ultimates of their own while you collapse on them.

Mind Control can force an enemy into an unfavorable position with very little counterplay, making fights into 5v4s with all of the benefits that such a thing entails. Alternately, you can use it to make a fight 4v4 while using it on an enemy teammate that's more valuable in a teamfight than Sylvanas is (i.e., making the tank gently caress off so they have no peel or stopping their AA from doing anything useful).

Ultimatelyheh, both abilities have their uses. I usually prefer Wailing Arrow because Mind Control isn't as useful in this Double Warrior meta of ours, and also because it's easier to stop major moneymakers like Twilight Dream or Horrify.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Fellatio del Toro posted:

There's one guaranteed way to get a random team to focus on a single target, and it's Gul'dan casting Life Drain on a minion.

Hah!

:orks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
MC is better if you're already winning. Arrow is better if you want to win.