Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

This did not get enough love.

They forgot to say "tag yourself".

I'm "Robert Ford The Rare"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

FishBulb posted:

Real hosed up joke everyone is playing on me pretending they liked Wally Brando

I didn't like it, I loved it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Man, the top 500 Westerns list contains some really shoddy entries.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
People in movies gently caress weird.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dissapointed Owl posted:

People in David Cronenberg movies gently caress weird

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Edit: ^^^ h8 u

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Really?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6KHa4z5Cxo

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Maybe they gently caress normally and you duck weirdly?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

therattle posted:

Maybe they gently caress normally and you duck weirdly?

I just bend my knees and crouch until I'm low enough and then start waddling. What do you do, bend at the waist or something?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hell Lone Wolf Mcquade The Shepherd of Ben is my favourite movie that doesn't exist.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

K. Waste posted:

So I'm re-watching AVP, and I actually like it more than I did when I was a teenager, which was not a lot to begin with, but I think being bored by Predator 2 has actually made me a little more fondly appreciative of its trash cinema merits. W. S. Anderson actually manages to put his nerdy, postmodern obsession to some interesting creative choices here. Some things I particularly like so far:

- Making the Weyland satellite look like the Alien queen, which isn't really a 'gotcha' moment at all so much as it basically summarizes the reductive 'corporatism is the real monster' themes permeating the franchise in the most on-the-nose way possible
- The camera eye of the satellite looks like HAL from 2001
- All of the throwaway characters at the satellite monitoring station get the dignity of a close-up, even the hamster
- The 'callback' to the opening of Alien, except instead with predator computers and helmets
- Lance Henrickson is fantastic
- Sanaa Lathan is fine as Hell, and has great chemistry with Raoul Bova, who's accent is just charming as all Hell and adds a lot to his total conviction in spouting such stupid lines
- Ewen Bremner is fantastic

It's actually gotten me wanting to re-watch Resurrection again with a little better faith (but only just a little). Like, Jeunet has to at least be able to make as visually satisfying a trash movie as W. S. - Hell, they even seem to both have the same coded fascination with remaking the cosmetics of the franchise into a Jurassic Park wannabe.

What happened to watching those bad DC cartoons.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Been watching silent films all weekend. Rewatched The Big Parade, The Man with a Movie Camera, The Kid, and Intolerance; all on Blu-Ray.

For all the flack D.W. Griffith gets for The Birth of a Nation, I forgot how progressive Intolerance is. It's anti-war, anti-prohibition, pro-union, and anti-death penalty. While it's conspicuously missing anything about race (though, probably to avoid further controversy than BOAN), it's no wonder the film was a huge hit in Russia at the time. Also watched a documentary on Griffith's life and he was pretty much the Lars Von Trier of his day.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Lurdiak posted:

What happened to watching those bad DC cartoons.

I watched all of them except the last one from this year. They all suck, except for Batman: Gotham Knight, which kinda owns.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

K. Waste posted:

I watched all of them except the last one from this year. They all suck, except for Batman: Gotham Knight, which kinda owns.

Did you watch Return of the Caped Crusaders for me like you promised? Or does that fall under "they all suck".

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Crispin Glover is such an amazing actor. He was in last night's American Gods for about 10 minutes total and he made a character who was just introduced into something so unique and terrifying, yet charismatic and personable.

American Gods is great, y'all.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

Crispin Glover is such an amazing actor. He was in last night's American Gods for about 10 minutes total and he made a character who was just introduced into something so unique and terrifying, yet charismatic and personable.

American Gods is great, y'all.

His 5 minute scene in Wild At Heart is one of the biggest highlights of the movie.

I wish he got to show his willful insanity more. I'd watch his films if I could (he came to my city with them and I missed it).

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
American Gods is so consistently good, and I suspect that being able to go all out crazy with their filler material plays a huge part in it. Makes me think that last episode's bad video game intro CGI sequence must have been intentional, it's so baffling.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

echoplex posted:

Obviously I'm not going to read the thread but holy gently caress Covenant is amazing. Ridley is a furious old man facing death square in the face and he wants you to know about it. It's Prometheus to the power of ten, it's amazing. You can see the requisite bits of film you he had to bolt onto the sides of it but c'mon, the middle bit is so bizzare. No-one expected that. Prometheus was way more Blade Runner than it was Alien and this is even more Blade Runner than that. Why is he not directing Blade Runner?! I walked past him the other day and reeeally wanted to ask him about it (mostly: "Are you ok?") but it's Sir Ridley and he's about as friendly as an industrial deep fat fryer so you don't do that. Even the Alien bits on the side were good - the creature has never looked better or more horrible.

Like Prometheus, it's probably not a good film, but gently caress me, is it interesting. As he inches closer to death his films ask more and more what it means to be a person, to live. I'm so glad this killed Neil Blompkamp's film. He's so dreadfully dull; it'd just have been shooty shooty, hexagon-shaped props, and Romero-level ham fisted SOCIAL COMMENTARY. This was... madness. Glorious, huge, madness. If it wasn't part of a massive franchise ruled by xenomoprh wiki types I'm sure how mental it is would be celebrated. I know the "I'll do the fingering" is a proper loving spanner of a line and I'm sure it's all that the CinemaSins and AVGN types will go on about (they were also the types who nearly a decade later are still going on about mapping crews getting lost), but even that doesn't bother me. What an age to live in where we're given Michael Fassbender playing a murderous robot lusting after himself. If it'd had been Blompkamp we'd have Sharlto Copley standing in front of some hazard striping shouting "MAYBE MAN IS THE REAL MONSTER" and that'd have been that.

It's a shame all the mystery is gone from the original film now, but nothing was ever going to live up to the giant space elephants that you (I?) imagined. The way it is now - the cold, pithy brutality of the origin - it works for me.

I can tell the internet hates it by the number of "hey, maybe Prometheus was bold and interesting after all!" thinkpieces I'm seeing posted. Way to catch up, internet! (remember the whole "Maybe the Burton Batman films weren't so bad after all" phase after the third turgid Nolan film?)

This post didn't get enough love. It's a very flawed film but Ridley Scott is a flawed man and the film is completely him embracing death and questioning the purpose of a world so full of grotesque horrors and merciless inhumanity.

Egbert Souse posted:

Been watching silent films all weekend. Rewatched The Big Parade, The Man with a Movie Camera, The Kid, and Intolerance; all on Blu-Ray.

For all the flack D.W. Griffith gets for The Birth of a Nation, I forgot how progressive Intolerance is. It's anti-war, anti-prohibition, pro-union, and anti-death penalty. While it's conspicuously missing anything about race (though, probably to avoid further controversy than BOAN), it's no wonder the film was a huge hit in Russia at the time. Also watched a documentary on Griffith's life and he was pretty much the Lars Von Trier of his day.

Eh I have this weird sympathy for Griffith -- a visual genius who could never wrap his head around a consistent sense of morality and spent the rest of his post-Birth of a Nation career trying to push these ideas of tolerance and the oppressiveness of society. But he said repeatedly that Intolerance was not his "apology" for BoaN but rather his response to to what he saw as the intolerance he faced in the fallout of BoaN. Although, like you pointed out, the pro-Union stuff does ring a little bit of a "I'm sorry, I'm trying to remove it."

However, you can see in the movie how his version of intolerance still relies on strawmen. Like the nosy old neighborhood biddies who get the young woman's baby taken away. They're caricatures, horrible stereotypes that fall right into Griffith's black and white view of the world.

His moralism is sloppy, inconsistent, misguided, pathetic, hypocritical... And yet all of these things are what make him, imo, the most interesting director of the silent era. And by god could he make a movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's my birthday so I'm gonna post today's YTOTD.
John Weldon's "To Be."
https://youtu.be/pdxucpPq6Lc

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

John Weldon's "To Be."

Happy Birthday!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Lurdiak posted:

Did you watch Return of the Caped Crusaders for me like you promised? Or does that fall under "they all suck".

I did, and I'm afraid to say it does fall under the "they all suck" banner. If it makes ya feel any better, it sucks slightly less than most of the DC UNIVERSE ANIMATED ORIGINAL MOVIES, but even if judged solely by West/Ward Batman stuff it's not even up to snuff with, say, Return to the Batcave.

Just watch the show or the '66 movie again, that poo poo is hilarious.

Detective No. 27 posted:

John Weldon's "To Be."

I'm surprised this ain't on the official NFB channel. It's dope, and I'd love to see it get a high def upload.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Man, the latest episode of The Leftovers was fantastic.

If you ever wanted to hear the thud of Justin Theroux's dick on an ID scanner then this is the show for you.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

LesterGroans posted:

If you ever wanted to hear the thud of Justin Theroux's dick on an ID scanner then this is the show for you.

I hear that sound on my face bi-weekly and it's since lost all its allure.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Fate of the Furious was fun. Definitely better than 6, not sure if I like it better​ than 7.

I continue to be surprised how tastfully they handled Paul Walker's death.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'm a little cold on it so far but it definitely has potential.

I am mostly praising its restraint.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I am mostly praising its restraint.

For me it's to the degree where not much has pulled me in and the idea of censoring images to create extra mystery feels really silly to me. I'll stick with it but right now the thing I've enjoyed the most about it was hearing Night Mind fawn over the acting (on a side note, I don't think there was anything harsher in his Night Vale criticism than him criticizing the acting because man the bar for impressing him is impossibly low)

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Crispin Glover is great in Friday the 13th 4

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

K. Waste posted:

I did, and I'm afraid to say it does fall under the "they all suck" banner. If it makes ya feel any better, it sucks slightly less than most of the DC UNIVERSE ANIMATED ORIGINAL MOVIES, but even if judged solely by West/Ward Batman stuff it's not even up to snuff with, say, Return to the Batcave.

Just watch the show or the '66 movie again, that poo poo is hilarious.

I'm surprised this ain't on the official NFB channel. It's dope, and I'd love to see it get a high def upload.

Did you include the Batman:TAS movies with your marathon? I've only seen Mask of the Phantasm, but that one is really good.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Crispin Glover is great in Friday the 13th 4

Him and Corey Feldman make it one of the most memorable of those movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

glam rock hamhock posted:

For me it's to the degree where not much has pulled me in and the idea of censoring images to create extra mystery feels really silly to me. I'll stick with it but right now the thing I've enjoyed the most about it was hearing Night Mind fawn over the acting (on a side note, I don't think there was anything harsher in his Night Vale criticism than him criticizing the acting because man the bar for impressing him is impossibly low)

I agree both with the idea that it takes very little to impress him but also that Night Vale's hammy acting is lame.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Did you include the Batman:TAS movies with your marathon? I've only seen Mask of the Phantasm, but that one is really good.

I didn't, it was just the DC UNIVERSE ANIMATED ORIGINAL MOVIES, I only watched Return of the Caped Crusader out of good faith to Lurdi.

I'll probably check 'em all out at some point, but I need to take a long break direct-to-video animated movies. The well's too poisoned for me to be objective.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
This is it. The best thing I've ever made.
https://twitter.com/chunk_widebody/status/869223856686473221

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
If i havent seen season 2 of Twin Peeps can i not just go ahead and start season 3?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

If i havent seen season 2 of Twin Peeps can i not just go ahead and start season 3?

Just watch until they reveal who killed Laura Palmer, then watch like the end episodes and you'll be good

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Sub-Zero just got added to Hulu or Prime last week and it's a lot better than I remembered, even if it feels as though Batman is barely in it (it's really driven by Freeze, Robin and Batgirl). In any event, it's always wonderful to hear Michael Ansara chewing the scenery.

The only other TAS movies, I think, were Mystery of the Batwoman (which is hot garbo) and Return of the Joker (which doesn't quite stick the landing but is still good for like 80 percent of it).

Timby fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 29, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

i don't get it

but the picture looks like a young Tim Curry and that's pretty good

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

but the picture looks like a young Tim Curry and that's pretty good

Pretty sure that's Goldblum.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I've always liked that he wears a Jughead cap in that movie.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Timby posted:

Yeah it's Goldblum in Death Wish with a whoopie cap and the Jughead speech from Dark Archie Fucks

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Timby posted:

I see it now but I don't unsee my first impression and now I'm sad they never did a Face/Off type of thing

Were they ever in a movie together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

You'll probably get more out of it if you at least watch episodes 1, 7, 9 and 22 of season 2. Or the whole season. Or just spoil the ending of season 2 and see how season 3 grabs you.

• Locked thread