Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
at 200 or less, a schiit modi/magni is probably good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Does anyone have any thoughts about the Sony XBA-N3APs?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Got home and spent a few minutes trying out my new M1060s. They sound great but they sure are heavy. Going to give it a bit to see if I can get used to it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The M1060s sound great but there are a few things about them that make them a non-starter for me.

1. Too heavy. I have neck problems and it causes my neck to feel bad after 15-20 minutes.
2. The ear-covering portions (not sure the proper term) are too large. If I try to sit back in my chair and use my headrest the ears actually hit the headrest before the back of my head does and causes it to be super uncomfortable.
3. The leather covering on the ears get really hot really quickly.
4. The open back seems really open. My wife could hear every word of a talk-show I was watching from ~20 feet away, volume was not even the loud.

They do seem really well made and they do sound great, just not going to work for me. I did some more research while I was trying to wear them and get used to them and ordered a pair of Oppo PM-3s. They seem lighter, the ear pieces seem smaller, and they have a closed back which I understand makes for less-accurate sound, but should help not annoy my wife and may even block out a bit of her watching TV if I am on the computer.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Internet Explorer posted:

The M1060s sound great but there are a few things about them that make them a non-starter for me.

1. Too heavy. I have neck problems and it causes my neck to feel bad after 15-20 minutes.
2. The ear-covering portions (not sure the proper term) are too large. If I try to sit back in my chair and use my headrest the ears actually hit the headrest before the back of my head does and causes it to be super uncomfortable.
3. The leather covering on the ears get really hot really quickly.
4. The open back seems really open. My wife could hear every word of a talk-show I was watching from ~20 feet away, volume was not even the loud.

They do seem really well made and they do sound great, just not going to work for me. I did some more research while I was trying to wear them and get used to them and ordered a pair of Oppo PM-3s. They seem lighter, the ear pieces seem smaller, and they have a closed back which I understand makes for less-accurate sound, but should help not annoy my wife and may even block out a bit of her watching TV if I am on the computer.

I own both the M1060s and the PM-3s. I think you'll be very happy with the Oppos given your use case and caveats. The Monoliths definitely have the edge in sound quality but otherwise the PM-3s have better build quality and comfort in a near-portable package yet still with the planar sound characteristics.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's awesome to hear. Thanks for taking the time to let me know I didn't make a terrible choice.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Got my Monoprice M560s in yesterday. Great comfort although much heavier than my DT-770s. Closed they sound good but open is a whole different world. Fantastic sound right of the box with just a phone.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I need to find some decent bluetooth earbuds. IEMs never seem to fit in my ear no matter what size I try. They always seem to either fall out of my ear or I can hear the cord moving against me if I move my head.

Basically, the Apple earpods fit well but I don't know about $159 considering they'd be for walking around and lounging in bed.

Any cheaper alternatives?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So I'm loving my DT 770s, and while I should've gotten the 80 ohm rather than the 250 ohm, that's a minor issue. One annoyance though, is that there appears to be occasional clicking in my right ear. Is there anything that would cause this? It doesn't seem to be interference either, it's kind of a mechanical click.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Irritated Goat posted:

I need to find some decent bluetooth earbuds. IEMs never seem to fit in my ear no matter what size I try. They always seem to either fall out of my ear or I can hear the cord moving against me if I move my head.

Basically, the Apple earpods fit well but I don't know about $159 considering they'd be for walking around and lounging in bed.

Any cheaper alternatives?

If you're an iPhone user the Airpods are probably the best you can get for fully wireless earbuds. I didn't bother with them since the shape just won't stay in my ears. I've had good luck with the Beats X, once I figured out the right tip size cord noise is pretty minimal but it was really bad with the larger tips.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
If you're having fit troubles with IEMs, see if you can try cord-over-the-ear styles like the shure se215 or the (much cheaper) KZ ATE. Another thing that helps a LOT is foam tips like the Contour ones.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Got my PM-3s and I am super happy with them. They sound great and are super comfortable. Thanks thread for helping me find them!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Do the PM-3s ever go on sale? Or is it like Grado where the price is the price?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What's generally accepted as the best Bluetooth sports earphones? Beats have super weak signal and the audio cuts in and out if I so much as stick my phone in my jorts

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lowness 72 posted:

If they ever did I'd probably own them.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Lowness 72 posted:

You can keep an eye out for refurbs on the Oppo site, I got mine that way for $319 back in 2015. They were in perfect shape, came with a warranty, and have lasted fine.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

What's generally accepted as the best Bluetooth sports earphones? Beats have super weak signal and the audio cuts in and out if I so much as stick my phone in my jorts
I just got back from jogging using my Plantronics Backbeat Fits and they worked flawlessly as usual. I don't jog in jorts though.

Also once I was wearing them at the office and went down the hall to the copy room without remembering that they were on and playing (with my iPhone back at my desk) and they only barely started cutting out when I got there.

edit: I was at a big electronics store yesterday and tried the demo model of Sony's $2300 headphones connected to one of their $3000 audio players and the music playing on them was the opening music to the Madoka Magica anime. Oh Japan.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 3, 2017

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I'm selling two pairs of headphones in SA Mart if anyone is interested.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822640

Bose QuietComfort 20 - basically brand new

Shure SE115

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Looking to get a set of headphones since my cat chewed up my Apple Earpods (wired) and figured now was a good time to move away from typical earbuds. I came across this listing for wireless headphones by FX-Victoria, with a big discount. Are they good quality, or should I pass on these?

As for wireless headphones, I've always been under the impression that there's some sort of lag involved with sound being transmitted wirelessly. Is that not the case? Is there any reason why I shouldn't go wireless?

Also, I still need to replace my earbuds with something relatively portable. I've had mostly negative experiences with IEMs. It seems like the plugs are never narrow enough to fit in my ear canals, and they just fall out if I move my head slightly even when I use the smallest available plugs they come with. Are my ear canals freakishly small, or am I just using them wrong?

Edit: Went with the KZ ATE for earbuds, will make a decision about headphones another day.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 5, 2017

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
I'm looking to buy a wireless headphone, either on ear or over ear. Any suggestions with a price of $350CAD or less?

I bought Beats Solo 3 wireless ($330CAD) from Best Buy over the weekend but am debating returning them.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

everythingWasBees posted:

So I'm loving my DT 770s, and while I should've gotten the 80 ohm rather than the 250 ohm, that's a minor issue. One annoyance though, is that there appears to be occasional clicking in my right ear. Is there anything that would cause this? It doesn't seem to be interference either, it's kind of a mechanical click.

For some reason, people are having issues with bass rattle on the DT770's quite frequently. Most of the time, it's just a piece of hair stuck on the driver, or the paper dome actively touching the driver. You'd have to Google on how to open the headphones as you'd need those phone plastic scalpel things to pry open the ear cup.

I'd say if you don't want to bother with opening it up, I'd return it and get the 80 ohm version that you wanted.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Constellation I posted:

For some reason, people are having issues with bass rattle on the DT770's quite frequently. Most of the time, it's just a piece of hair stuck on the driver, or the paper dome actively touching the driver. You'd have to Google on how to open the headphones as you'd need those phone plastic scalpel things to pry open the ear cup.

I'd say if you don't want to bother with opening it up, I'd return it and get the 80 ohm version that you wanted.

This was it! Didn't get rid of all the clicking, but got rid of most of it. There was a hair that was completely embedded that I was afraid of removing.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Oppo PM3 vs. Bose Quiet Comfort 35's.

Any thoughts? I think I've narrowed it down to these 2. I know the Bose has better noise isolation, but I'm not sure on sound based on reviews I've found.

I'd love opinions.

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

somnambulist posted:

Any thoughts? I think I've narrowed it down to these 2. I know the Bose has better noise isolation, but I'm not sure on sound based on reviews I've found.

I'd love opinions.

I loved the sound of the Oppo PM3 but they gave me a headache after 20 minutes so I ended up returning them. The return process was easy so I would encourage you to try 'em. My hat size is like 7.75 FWIW.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

somnambulist posted:

I'd love opinions.

I own the Oppo PM-3s. I actually spent a lot of time with them this past weekend because I needed to use closed cans. My general preference is for open planar headphones and I bought the PM-3s as a portable/travel option where I could still have good sound quality.

They're damned good headphones. The build quality is stellar - they will probably survive for decades. Sound quality is very good - the soundstage is narrow but that's inherent to closed headphones. They are neutral and decidedly not v-shaped. If you wear glasses you will experience more solid bass using them without glasses to interfere with the seal around the ears. I have large ears that stick out from the sides of my head a bit, and even so I find them extremely comfortable and they're still entirely circumaural. They fold down flat and into a very packable case.

My everyday listening cans are the open planar Monoprice Monolith M1060s with 106mm drivers, and even though they edge out the Oppos in sound quality it's not by all that much. I have never used Bose products but my impression is that they're mostly marketing. Their multiple thousands of dollars Lifestyle room miniature speakers were just paper cones and advertisements.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I prioritize comfort because I normally wear headphones all throughout my workday on account of sitting next to large AC unit. I've been very happy with my QC35's. They sound OK but they can stay on my head all day and not give me discomfort or headaches.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Is there a way to check the current status of the bluetooth connection? I have a Jabra Move wireless headset, which is really nice, but sometimes the bitrate is crap. One way to provoke it is to connect it while playing something in VLC. I have some jazz in FLAC where the cymbals are quite forward in the mix, which makes it easy to tell poo poo quality from good. If I decide mid-playback to connect the headset, it will take about 20 seconds of jittering and hiccups before the cache is caught up and playing smoothly. However, the quality defaults to poo poo and the cymbals sound like a 64 kbit MP3. If I close VLC and reopen it, it immediately starts playing at high quality - as far as I can tell. Is there an interface somewhere where I can see which quality level it's currently playing at? The VLC codec information obviously just shows the source file info and the Windows bluetooth menu just shows basic pairing info.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You're more likely running in to a bandwidth problem, not a connection problem.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

This was it! Didn't get rid of all the clicking, but got rid of most of it. There was a hair that was completely embedded that I was afraid of removing.

There's clicking going on when they're unplugged, now. Is that interference from my mouse cord and the cord to my amp, probably? Any good way to prevent this?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Budget – Up to $100
Source – Samsung S7
Isolation Requirements – Indifferent
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - None
Past Headphones - OEM Samsung headset
Preferred Music – Metal, Classic Rock

Looking to get into something noticeably better than what my S7 came with, but I'd like to take these to the gym and I'm not an audiophile so I'm willing to make compromises on price to get something I'm not terrified of breaking or losing. If it has a microphone, great. If not, I can probably deal with that too. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

There's clicking going on when they're unplugged, now. Is that interference from my mouse cord and the cord to my amp, probably? Any good way to prevent this?

It's hard to tell what issue you're actually experiencing. Looks like it's a combination of the hair on the driver and interference.

Do you have another source you can use so you can know for sure? Try a phone or an iPod and see if you still get this "clicking". That should isolate if it's interference when using your other source.

Look up a bass sweep tone video on YouTube or something. Usually if it's a hair on the driver, you'd hear the bass rattle on specific frequencies.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

grack posted:

You're more likely running in to a bandwidth problem, not a connection problem.

As in the FLAC file is maxing out the Bluetooth protocol? Could be, but the problem here is that activating bluetoooth mid playback = poo poo quality, closing VLC and restarting playback = good quality. Just trying to figure out why it can buffer up good quality while the headset is connecting. Perhaps the bluetooth driver can't pause VLC for caching?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Constellation I posted:

It's hard to tell what issue you're actually experiencing. Looks like it's a combination of the hair on the driver and interference.

Do you have another source you can use so you can know for sure? Try a phone or an iPod and see if you still get this "clicking". That should isolate if it's interference when using your other source.

Look up a bass sweep tone video on YouTube or something. Usually if it's a hair on the driver, you'd hear the bass rattle on specific frequencies.

I experimented a little and it seems that it's my glasses causing it. I'm not sure how, but it stops completely when I take them off.
At least I fixed the hair issue. :v:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

The Ferret King posted:

Budget – Up to $100
Source – Samsung S7
Isolation Requirements – Indifferent
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - None
Past Headphones - OEM Samsung headset
Preferred Music – Metal, Classic Rock

Looking to get into something noticeably better than what my S7 came with, but I'd like to take these to the gym and I'm not an audiophile so I'm willing to make compromises on price to get something I'm not terrified of breaking or losing. If it has a microphone, great. If not, I can probably deal with that too. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jaybird X3 are often $99 on sale

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
We shoot for the moon right from the start and go wireless as well.

I'll keep an eye on them, thanks. Might be nice not to have a cord. But cordless isn't mandatory for me either.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I've not spent a lot of time with them yet but my Sony XBA-N3APs arrived today and I'm very impressed. They're much clearer than my old Sennheiser IE8s, with a deeper, richer bass, and better mids. They're much more satisfying and musical than the Westone 4Rs that I've spent the last 5 years listening to. Gorgeous IEMS. I recommend them.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Holy poo poo, I'd sure hope so.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So I got the KZ ATEs, and I'm still having a lot of trouble keeping them in my ear. My ear canals are apparently so small that even the small size of the buds/plastic-thingies they give you can't form a seal, my left ear moreso than my right ear. I'm not entirely sure that they fit even without any buds at all. Plus, the over-ear cord thing is difficult to put on - it interferes with my glasses and hair, and is kind of awkward. I might be returning these :( or at least trying to find a better set of plastic ear thingies. What do people with really small ear canals do?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 7, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Try some foam ones. Any tips should fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Small comply or shure olive tips should do it.