Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I wish there was a way you could attach to an AI army one province over to avoid attrition and auto-join them if they're attacked. I hate being in wars where I have to follow them closely so neither of us gets stuck alone fighting a bigger army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Just rolled probably the best general I've ever had.

Might as well call him offroad since he's 4x4.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Koramei posted:

There's another exploit video from Reman on 1.21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsGtX_AvJZk

turns out they still hadn't fixed the game end bug in this patch, although I imagine that'll change now the video is out. Some other really good ones too- the one where he just erases Ming is :eyepop:

Lol at the DDRJake burn.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The Ming ones are tempting to use simply because that poo poo is still broken as gently caress.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CatsPajamas posted:

Thanks to everybody sharing EU4 stories and advice! It's neat to see how the world's going in other people's games, plus I think I've learned more about EU4 reading this thread than anywhere else (though the wiki would definitely come close).

It's funny to see AAAAA! Real Muenster and alcaras both doing Commonwealth runs since I had just started one too - based on various posts and comments elsewhere it seemed like now was a good time to try something other than a colonial power or anywhere near Ming so Eastern Europe seemed to fit. Glad to see people like skasion and QuarkJets doing good advice posts! Hope the thread doesn't mind if I ask a few questions as well:

How can I make my vassals not be so penniless and army-less?

As Poland I have Lithuania under a PU, and Moldavia and Novgorod are both my vassals. I want to use Novgorod to reclaim all of their cores from Muscovy before Russia forms, but haven't been able to get enough of a manpower advantage to commit to sieging down practically all of Muscovy to get them. Part of the issue is both Moldavia and Novgorod have no army to speak of and are making no attempt to build one. Some searching says that's probably a budget issue, and both of them are running a deficit, but they have no loans for me to pay off and their money is going to basic things like State Maintenance and the Vassal Fee. Is there anything I can do to get them to raise an army?

Renaissance is spreading slowly, what's the best use of Monarch Points in the meanwhile?

I planned to use the farmlands in Poland to seed other institutions I won't be able to spawn like Colonialism, but thought the Renaissance would get here quickly enough. However, it's been slower going than I thought. Fighting a defensive war against Denmark and Muscovy forced me to spend MIL on tech regardless of the penalty, I've been spending DIP on Ideas (Influence), and ADM I've been spending on Development after getting to positive Stability. I'd prefer to use MIL to by development to increase manpower until the tech penalty is gone. Other than that is there anything else I should be spending Monarch points on until I can embrace the latest institution and tech up without penalty?

What's the best way you take advantage of -AE modifiers?

Currently in the Age of Discovery, I've taken the "Justified Wars" Ability (-10% AE). In addition, I've taken Influence Ideas up through "State Propaganda" (-20% AE). Finally as the five-year pulse event for Influence Ideas I got the "Our Cause Is Just" event which gave me the "Just Causes" modifier for 10 years (-20% AE). If all that works together it looks like I've got -50% AE for another 5 years or so. Is that the case, and if so what's the best way to take advantage of that? It seems like the answer would be expanding in the HRE if I was actually able to but if I don't have the manpower to take on the Austrian emperor is there anywhere else where AE usually has a greater-than-normal impact that now would be a good time to take advantage of?

Next Steps for Poland in 1479?

On a more playthrough specific note, it seems hard right now to break into the HRE to take Silesia and need a lot more manpower to out-muscle Muscovy. As next steps I'm thinking of trying to take what's left of Slovakia from Hungary for the Gold Mine, supporting Sweden's Independence as soon as they become disloyal and praying the Ottomans don't jump me. There are currently Nitra Separatists in Bohemia, would it be better to wait and see if they're successful or plunge into Hungry and possibly having to wipe out that stack if the separatists cross over? And is there anywhere else I should be looking for expansion?
How can I make my vassals not be so penniless and army-less?
This could be because of forts - if they have any forts and they are small, maintaining the fort can drain their coffers. It could also have something to do with their manpower - if it is really low, they may not be building any troops. If you really want them to raise an army if they are simply not building one, you can subsidize them or build buildings in their land to increase their income.

Renaissance is spreading slowly, what's the best use of Monarch Points in the meanwhile?
The Renaissance spread slowly for me in my Commonwealth game. I think Krakow was getting some Renaissance growth slowly so I invested some MP to speed up that growth, which both seeds more points and makes the natural growth rate step up. Investing in Krakow is nice because it will not be your capital forever. I usually develop when I have excess admin and positive stability, so I would keep doing that if that is what you have been doing with your excess Adm MP.

What's the best way you take advantage of -AE modifiers?
I would attack Bohemia then Hungary, because taking land from either of them gives you the most AE (especially Bohemia) because their land is higher dev and central Europe is filled with lots of countries.

Next Steps for Poland in 1479?
If you have strong allies the Ottomans shouldnt jump you. The Nitra rebel situation should be resolved in pretty quick order - Bohemia is probably strong enough to have a big enough army to crush those rebels; if Bohemia crushes the rebels then just go ahead and attack Hungary. Wait a few months to see what happens because they could cross into Hungary; then attack Hungary once they deal with the rebels. Sweden will probably not become disloyal until the next age because of the Denmark Age of Discovery specific selection that gives their subjects -50% (I think?) Liberty Desire. If you want to expand more I would take advantage of the expansion you have done in Crimea but just take some land for yourself from the Hordes. By sticking your nose overthere you stop the Ottomans and Russians from doing so.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Really enjoying the new DLC stuff, the age / splendor thing is cool.

One thing I still really wish they would add is more fine-grained army maintenance. Playing as Portugal and I have to set army maintenance high so my little conquistador army doesn't get murdered by natives, while my main army sits at home just burning through my treasury.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

After a few miltechs I just use stacks of 2-3 regiments (depending on native population size) with half maintenance. That's enough for most native stacks

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MrBling posted:

That whole list is amazing. :stare:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's like 10 mil points to eradicate natives from a province entirely. but then you don't get assimilation events i guess

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

And you don't get the goods produced bonus, which can be considerable value lost, especially when you control the trade routes

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MrBling posted:

I wasn't rolling generals that good when I had Offensive, Defensive, Aristocracy, and two Policies going, while at 95 Army Tradition. I rolled 10 generals and not one was as good as the worst one in this screenshot :cripes:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

QuarkJets posted:

And you don't get the goods produced bonus, which can be considerable value lost, especially when you control the trade routes

oh oops I just killed them all

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

QuarkJets posted:

:wth:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The goods produced bonus is actually decent in the new world and pretty huge in high-population regions, like parts of Africa, so you don't want to click that button if you can help it.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah, if you don't want to deal with natives then just set Native Coexistence Policy. Considering that reduces uprisings to 0, there's no real reason to ever get rid of natives anyway.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Getting rid of them is pretty good, ironically, if you're a native tribe. You want to colonize as fast as possible, so native repression is the best choice, and you more than likely lack the income to raise your army maintenance or the tech to lower it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wow bunch of genocidal fascists ITT

If you don't role play as a 21st century progressive... smh

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QuarkJets posted:

I thought this was only if you used the one option re: colonization?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I thought this was only if you used the one option re: colonization?

You mean native trading or whatever it's called? That gives a bonus to the extra goods produced that you get from native population (I think it's 50 percent), but all 3 policies get at least the base amount (which is pretty small per thousand people, but a little often goes a long way if you control the trade route)

And for a long time native trading did nothing at all lol

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
According to the wiki, the formula is native pop / 20000 for trade goods produced upon a colony turning into a full city. 4000 pop is the point (+0.2) where it equals a level in diplo development. Native trading policy increases it by 50% (multiply the formula by 1.5 afterward), so ~2667 pop would be its breakpoint for +0.2.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
LOL just LOL if you don't use colonization exclusively as an excuse to plop down next to existing provinces and punch them for their lands.

I honestly don't think there's much value to anything but annihilation policy because by far the biggest contributor to how much value I get from colonization is how often I can send a colonist to a new area to punch new neighbors. Having slightly better provinces is nice but doesn't really compare in my experience to having more provinces faster and in more locations.

fuf posted:

Really enjoying the new DLC stuff, the age / splendor thing is cool.

One thing I still really wish they would add is more fine-grained army maintenance. Playing as Portugal and I have to set army maintenance high so my little conquistador army doesn't get murdered by natives, while my main army sits at home just burning through my treasury.

With even moderately decent miltech your army should win even with 0% maint vs almost any native stack, but yeah early on this really sucks. Conquistador maint should definitely have a separate slider or something.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 29, 2017

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

I wasn't rolling generals that good when I had Offensive, Defensive, Aristocracy, and two Policies going, while at 95 Army Tradition. I rolled 10 generals and not one was as good as the worst one in this screenshot :cripes:

That was with ~75AT, Offensive, Defensive and that one policy that gives +1 siege. Hungary just OP I guess.

It is quite a good game actually.

As soon as Tirol finishes coring I'll get the "Take that Von Habsburgs" achievement and I've even managed to keep the Hunyadi dynasty through it all.
I briefly considered integrating Aragon but it would just be a headache to directly administer that much spread out land and they contribute 68k troops while having 0% liberty desire. Bulgaria on the other hand, who I am integrating are almost at 50% just from development.
I've also been at only two rivals for the longest time (Ottomans and Russia) because France is the only other option and I don't want to rival them. We've been allies forever and I'm at 100 trust and 92 favours because they keep calling me into wars in the HRE they could probably win on their own. Got me few Austrian provinces out of it though.
I might actually play all the way to 1821 in this one. Just to get that achievement.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Really? With 90+ AT and a couple pip boost ideas, I usually don't find it very difficult to get 8+ pips spread across fire and shock. I actually thought that guy's generals were pretty mediocre since all the pips were landing in maneuver.

In my last campaign I was getting a pretty healthy string of three star generals. I thought that was pretty normal?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Really? With 90+ AT and a couple pip boost ideas, I usually don't find it very difficult to get 8+ pips spread across fire and shock. I actually thought that guy's generals were pretty mediocre since all the pips were landing in maneuver.

In my last campaign I was getting a pretty healthy string of three star generals. I thought that was pretty normal?
I have poo poo luck with generals and heirs/rulers. For Generals and Admirals don't like that it is such a high cost (50 MP) for a dice roll (a dice roll that always fucks me). I used to post about it all the time... once I'm back at my computer I'll post an example or two.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

MrBling posted:

:golfclap:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I Love You! posted:

LOL just LOL if you don't use colonization exclusively as an excuse to plop down next to existing provinces and punch them for their lands.

I honestly don't think there's much value to anything but annihilation policy because by far the biggest contributor to how much value I get from colonization is how often I can send a colonist to a new area to punch new neighbors. Having slightly better provinces is nice but doesn't really compare in my experience to having more provinces faster and in more locations.

With even moderately decent miltech your army should win even with 0% maint vs almost any native stack, but yeah early on this really sucks. Conquistador maint should definitely have a separate slider or something.

I agree, annihilation is really the best policy. The question was whether it was also worth spending mil points to eliminate native populations, but I think that's just a waste of mil points and a loss of bonus cash because native military units are super bad

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I agree, annihilation is really the best policy. The question was whether it was also worth spending mil points to eliminate native populations, but I think that's just a waste of mil points and a loss of bonus cash because native military units are super bad

In a trade company region it might be worth it so that colonization turns it over to your culture and religion.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

I have poo poo luck with generals and heirs/rulers. For Generals and Admirals don't like that it is such a high cost (50 MP) for a dice roll (a dice roll that always fucks me). I used to post about it all the time... once I'm back at my computer I'll post an example or two.

Generals and the combat system are one of my least favourite things about the whole game, the die rolls are so gigantically important that the difference between even a decent general and a poo poo one is huge. Even if you have a significant advantage in troop quality, crappy die rolls can make you lose anyway.

It used to be that the AI was dumb enough that you could work around even the shittiest luck, now not so much.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Node posted:

Your primary culture needs to be in the Iranian culture group (like your neighbors the Baluchi) to get the decision available, so no, you don't need to go into India at first. However, to form the Mughals, you need to take a few provinces around Delhi and have 600 development. Then you get a really god drat good set of national ideas and a permanent claim on the entire Indian subcontinent. It's a really powerful decision.

I couldn't imagine doing Third Way without culture flipping. I'm sure some really good people can, but holy poo poo, the Omani ideas are terrible. Boats, sailors, and trade aren't going to eliminate the Sunni and Shia sects from the planet.

I formed Arabia during my run, and I didn't get their ideas. :sigh:

But bumrushing the Ottomans in the early 1500s helped me convert stuff, by taking Medina, Mecca and Jerusalem.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Okay. Just re-picked this up after a long absence. and how the heck do I make money?
I had wiped out (and vassalised) England as Scotland.
Then I went bankrupt.
Even at like 1/4 maintenence with my forts all napping, I was at 0 gold income.

Also went bankrupt as Portugal.
Mid-war.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Veloxyll posted:

Okay. Just re-picked this up after a long absence. and how the heck do I make money?
Then I went bankrupt.

Mid-war.

Just look at your expenses and minimize them. You can also look at your income and maximize it, but that takes longer because most of what you can do to achieve that is conquering more territory or developing and building on the territory you have.

You're only going bankrupt if you take out a poo poo ton of loans you have no ability to pay back, so I suggest not doing that. For a Scotland start there's probably no avoiding taking out some loans because England is just stronger than you, but for Portugal there's no reason why that should be happening unless you're fighting a ruinous war on your home turf.

As Scotland you will want to change your trade city to somewhere in the English Channel node once you beat England. You start in the North Sea node which sucks.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Me: Let's play as Livonian Order and form Kurland, sounds fun!

Poland: NOPE!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Veloxyll posted:

Then I went bankrupt.

Mid-war.

Were you comically over your forcelimits? Aside from that the only thing I can think of is that (I believe) a recent patch reduced the threshold of loans you can take before risking bankruptcy.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Ok, done with Ming. Let's try the new Hungary, first 10 years are quiet anyway with a regenc...

Well then. :getin:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Veloxyll posted:

Then I went bankrupt.

Mid-war.

Make sure your army isn't over the limit even by a single unit, mercs have higher upkeep, cavalry and arty are really expensive to maintain and forts, even if they're mothballed, still cost like .5 per month i think. If you have internal forts that will hardly be used just destroy them.

Have your navy secure your trade note for extra cash.

If all else fails just make up a bullshit war and demand war taxes :v:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Detheros posted:

Me: Let's play as Livonian Order and form Kurland, sounds fun!

Poland: NOPE!

I just did a Riga game, ally Austria/Hungary and Muscowy or Denmark. In the first war with Pol-Lith 100% siege them and then white peace out, watch them implode. Was easy cruising after Muscowy and Hungary picked them apart for me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Re:

I cant find any of my other good examples, but that one just shows how dumb the luck is.

RabidWeasel posted:

Generals and the combat system are one of my least favourite things about the whole game, the die rolls are so gigantically important that the difference between even a decent general and a poo poo one is huge. Even if you have a significant advantage in troop quality, crappy die rolls can make you lose anyway.

It used to be that the AI was dumb enough that you could work around even the shittiest luck, now not so much.
Same. They have fixed pretty much all of my other gripes with the game, but rolling generals is just an exercise in misery at this point.

canepazzo posted:

Ok, done with Ming. Let's try the new Hungary, first 10 years are quiet anyway with a regenc...

Well then. :getin:
:stare:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Veloxyll posted:

Then I went bankrupt.

Mid-war.

If you haven't played in a long time, you might not be familiar with states and autonomy. It's not enough to core conquered provinces you also have to turn them into states to get the full value out of them, otherwise you're getting at most only 1/4 of the income and manpower from non-state provinces. If you rule all the British Isles you're in a good position to make a lot of trade income. Once you annex England, move your trade capital to London to collect there, send your merchants to the Lubeck and North Sea nodes to steer towards English Channel. Build light ships to protect trade in those nodes too.

I'm just making assumptions about your situation. Can't say much else without screenshots.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 29, 2017

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Re: States (they're new to me too): do I just wanna create states from conquered provinces as soon as I can? Any downside? Seems like I can create a state even if I only control one of the provinces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The downsides are
- You only have so many number of states you can create from territories which increases as you get Admin tech
- State maintenance increases but the popup will tell you the exact numbers as well as the expected return when it reaches 0% autonomy
- You will need to spend admin points again to core the provinces underneath the state but this means you will have the 50 years before your claim on it disappears. You can create a state owning only one of the provinces if you core enemy provinces in that manner it is "expensive;" you have to pay it all in one lump sum versus half then and half when you state it when you have the entire section of land under your control.

• Locked thread