Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jesus the moment Gaulism die in France, decades of their loving "America is a poo poo ally, we should try to stand strong alone" predictions came to life with just one American president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Truga posted:

That's why Germany won the war against the Soviet Union 75 years ago.

e: then again I guess that doesn't count. Germany had more of both when they first invaded.

Germany was broke as hell after a few years of the Nazis in power, and just barely getting by with the money they'd loot out of other countries they annexed/invaded. The Soviets had more coin than Nazi Germany, and the Americans really had a lot more coin. Even the British did by a decent amount.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Kopijeger posted:

It already seems like this is the case for most hardware other than aircraft, seems like the militaries of the larger countries at least all use mostly European-made ground vehicles and ships. I believe there is also a Franco-German agreement in place to jointly develop a tank to replace both the Leclerc and Leopard 2. Assuming this goes through it should simplify logistics compared to having two or more different types around.

I've heard the following sentiment regarding military procurement in The Netherlands: If it flies, buy American; if it drives; buy European, if it sails, buy domestic. Its a pretty good policy tbh.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

AlexanderCA posted:

I've heard the following sentiment regarding military procurement in The Netherlands: If it flies, buy American; if it drives; buy European, if it sails, buy domestic. Its a pretty good policy tbh.

Yeah but recently the Americans have started doing an even sillier design-by-committee process than we did for the Eurofighter, a plane spread out into three tranches (one of which got obsoleted even before leaving the production line) and half a dozen countries.

Also what if you buy a floatplane? :v:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

blowfish posted:

Also what if you buy a floatplane? :v:
If you're trying to buy a military seaplane, you stop what you're doing at once and either sell your time machine or use your knowledge of the future to make a fortune on stocks and gambling because afaik there haven't been any militarily relevant seaplanes since WW2 or before.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Floatplanes can still be relevant for search-and-rescue at sea, but that's about all. Japan made one recently, the US-2. There's also aerial firefighting, of course, but that's typically not a mission of the armed forces.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

There's also not been a large-scale naval conflict since WW2. It's dumb to write them off as a kind of vehicle just because there hasn't been a situation that's called for them.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

YF-23 posted:

There's also not been a large-scale naval conflict since WW2. It's dumb to write them off as a kind of vehicle just because there hasn't been a situation that's called for them.

I struggle to imagine what a modern naval fight would even look like.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

YF-23 posted:

What benefit would a seaplane have in a naval conflict?

The only reason they were used was that they could land in areas without a runway but with a body of water large enough. Today helicopters and VTOL aircrafts like the V-22 Osprey offer much better capabilities in this respect, which is why seaplanes have all but vanished from military duty.

MiddleOne posted:

I struggle to imagine what a modern naval fight would even look like.

Lot's of missiles flying around with a dashing of torpedos.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Being able to land pretty much anywhere at sea is a pretty big advantage. I'm not convinced VTOLs and the like completely negate that.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

YF-23 posted:

Being able to land pretty much anywhere at sea is a pretty big advantage. I'm not convinced VTOLs and the like completely negate that.

Land to do what? You can't refuel, you can't rearm, you can't do much of anything, not to mention that "landing anywhere" assumes pretty favorable sea conditions.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Land to do what? You can't refuel, you can't rearm, you can't do much of anything, not to mention that "landing anywhere" assumes pretty favorable sea conditions.

Search and rescue and thats about it

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

AlexanderCA posted:

It's a pretty good policy for the people selling us arms, since we can't, and won't, go elsewhere even if they screw us over. And the costs for the F35/JSF have already doubled, if not tripled.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

If you want to shoot as many civilians as possible you probably gonna avoid hard targets like the army because they shoot back at you. It's not exactly rocket science. Not all attacks are suicide bombings

so it doesn't do anything, it just causes civilian bloodbath elsewhere while some grunt gets paid to be bored all day in a train station while right wingers masturbate to seeing a G3 in a public area?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

YF-23 posted:

The V-22 Osprey is mainly designed for speed and range beyond helicopters moving from ship to shore. It was a reaction to Operation Eagle Claw, the attempt to rescue hostages in Iran that failed catastrophically during a risky refueling attempt in the desert. The V-22 is pretty stellar in this regard. Its main problem are the super high-performance propellers which kick up a lot of dust when landing. That can create brownout conditions, and depending on the mineral composition of the dust can cause the engines to stall, which is very bad.

Pluskut Tukker posted:

It's a pretty good policy for the people selling us arms, since we can't, and won't, go elsewhere even if they screw us over. And the costs for the F35/JSF have already doubled, if not tripled.
I don't understand why the Europeans aren't buying more Gripens. Just the Swedes, Hungarians and Czechs.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Belgian posted:

Very nice. Now that perfidious Albion and its colonies are out, the Continent can rise to its former greatness again.

you know who else believed in a strong continental Europe that could stand up to the Anglos?

besides napoleon

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

icantfindaname posted:

you know who else believed in a strong continental Europe that could stand up to the Anglos?

besides napoleon

eurodictators did nothing wrong :eurovision: :godwinning: :italy:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I don't understand why the Europeans aren't buying more Gripens. Just the Swedes, Hungarians and Czechs.

Bitterness about us staying outside of the Euro? :shrug:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mans posted:

so it doesn't do anything, it just causes civilian bloodbath elsewhere while some grunt gets paid to be bored all day in a train station while right wingers masturbate to seeing a G3 in a public area?

Well it did something in that one case that was brought up here :shrug:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

khwarezm posted:

Haha, I just noticed America hiding in the corner ruining our perfectly balanced map.

America is just the Scandinavia of Africa when you really think about it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Well it did something in that one case that was brought up here :shrug:

the case that was brought up was of someone attacking a soldier specifically for the soldier's gun.

it literally attracted an attack

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

besides napoleon

Philip II?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/869136084390866946

the train has no brakes.... and is speeding on a collision course towards mar a lago!!!!!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mans posted:

the case that was brought up was of someone attacking a soldier specifically for the soldier's gun.

Nah, you gotta read.the wikipedia article that was linked here. That dude was stopped by traffic police, shot at them with a BB gun and ran. That Jack Bauer poo poo of trying to grab an assault rifle from a soldier was a spontaneous/incidental idea he got. He was also carrying gasoline and a lighter, so it's pretty lucky that he went for the ninja stuff with the soldiers, instead of actually using the gasoline. Thanks television and Hollywood, I guess?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Same reason they haven't bought more Mirages. France, Greece, Spain, Belgium, of which only France and Greece still operate some Mirage 2000. (Mirage III, 5, and F1 are all retired from European service.) And that reason was the existence of the F-16. As far as cheap single-engine fighters go, it was really hard to compete with the General Dynamic bird. In Europe it sold to Belgium, Denmark, Greece, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, and Romania. And part of the appeal of the F-35 is the idea that it'd be a new F-16. In fact there even was an "F-16 club" within Europe, the European Participating Group made of Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands and Norway. Out of these four, three have already chosen the F-35 and are applying a lot of pressure to get Belgium to join them. Even today the F-16 still competes with the Gripen.

In a perfect world, European air forces would consist mostly of Gripen and Rafale, depending on each country's budget and requirements. (To simplify a bit: buy Rafale if you want to be able to intervene abroad; buy Gripen if you are only concerned with defense on a tight budget.)

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/869136084390866946

the train has no brakes.... and is speeding on a collision course towards mar a lago!!!!!

It's more like no one cares what Schulz says because Merkel stole his thunder with yesterdays Bierzelt speech - people might not notice but her campaign is always two steps ahead of Schulz, without being an open campaign.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Is there a video of the Merkel speech with English subtitles?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/869212255006621697

disregard

orange sky fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 29, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
that doesn't mean poo poo in and of itself

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

that doesn't mean poo poo in itself

horrible timing though, isn't it?

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

orange sky posted:

horrible timing though, isn't it?

In Scandinavian political liturgy, this phrase is often used as a codeword for "well our relations are poo poo for now but we're exploring diplomatic options to make them better because we cannot just wish Russia into nonexistence".

Of course, it's sometimes used completely literally sooooo

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

People who were president under putin's reign:
Chirac
Sarkozy
Hollande
Macron

People who tried to strengthen the relationship with Russia
Chirac
Sarkozy
Hollande
Macron

People who ended not strengthening the relationship with Russia because putin was putin:
Chirac
Sarkozy
Hollande
??????

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yeah it means nothing, nevermind

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Mans posted:

so it doesn't do anything,

Actually it's quite different than your brain.

Mans posted:

What the hell are you even trying to argue here - the Aristotelian abiogenesis theory of terrorism?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Macron's basically spent most of the press conference telling Putin to eat poo poo, calling RT and Sputnik propaganda organizations, and raising the treatment of LGBT people in Chechnya:

https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/869234789806739458
"We discussed the treatment of LGBT people in Chechnya, and I very clearly explained France's position to president Putin"

https://twitter.com/PedderSophie/status/869223121676640257

https://twitter.com/dmitryzaksAFP/status/869218393001512960

Between this and his power plays with Trump, he's clearly got a pair on him if nothing else.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

Between this and his power plays with Trump, he's clearly got a pair on him if nothing else.

Flailing impotently is like 90% of international politics so I'd say he's doing pretty good so far.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CottonWolf posted:

Australia will definitely get in before those two.

My money is on Morocco!

icantfindaname posted:

besides napoleon

That one Austrian guy...by which I mean Otto von Habsburg of course.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i can't believe macron said this next to Putin

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/869222821746102272

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Saying the truth next to Putin is now the litmus test of "having balls". Duly noted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Saying the truth next to Putin is now the litmus test of "having balls". Duly noted.

has it been tried before