Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necroid
May 14, 2009

loquacius posted:

When I'm trying to figure out how cold out it is I'm always like "but wait... how cold is it relative to the freezing and boiling points of water and then I'm paralyzed with indecision because I cannot conceive of temperature any other way

dude are you serious? this is pretty much the best argument you could make in favor of using celsius instead of fahrenheit. water generally freezes at 0° and boils at 100° what's so confusing about it?

cups spoons feet inches miles stones pounds are also loving hilarious and will never not sound really really goofy to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

quote:

I came home to a woman dressed as an Elder Scrolls Woodelf
She's gonna kill and eat you Therapy Goon.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

got any sevens posted:

How could you miss out on "a chest of booty"?
Cmon man

God dammit, that would have been perfect. I'm a bit ashamed that I missed that.

Father-in-law goon: Next time he threatens you apologize for taking his property and offer to let him have sex with his daughter one last time to make up for it. That's part of that tradition too.

If he gets even angrier 5hen it's time to posture up and prove who's the man. Who knows, if you kick his rear end enough you might end up with his wife too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

gently caress asking for permission to marry their daughter. You absolutely need to tell your fiance about this so she can talk to him. Maybe the guy is just joking around, but it isn't coming across like that or something. Either way, start hitting a heavy bag for five five minute rounds. It's good exercise and will help prepare you for your fight to rightfully claim your long term sexual partner from her father.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Solice Kirsk posted:

gently caress asking for permission to marry their daughter. You absolutely need to tell your fiance about this so she can talk to him. Maybe the guy is just joking around, but it isn't coming across like that or something. Either way, start hitting a heavy bag for five five minute rounds. It's good exercise, and will help prepare you for your fight to rightfully claim your long term sexual partner from her father.

this

Rumda posted:

also this

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Fighting your new family is an awful idea even if it's justified. He isn't going to do poo poo, and you are only going to see him maybe once or twice a year tops (unless you're in an everybody loves raymond situation and live next door). Just offer a token apology that you don't actually mean and take out your rage passive aggressively instead by giving him bad christmas gifts every year or something.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nah. Fight your father in law. But come up with something cool to say before the fight. Like crack your knuckles and say, "Get ready to be the father of the die!"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bradzilla posted:

Asking the father of your bride-to-be if he will allow you to marry her is a really creepy tradition anyway

"May I take your daughter's hand in marriage to be her exclusive sex partner for the rest of our lives?"

That one's been out-creeped by those daddy daughter dances and promise rings for years now.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
British poster: Celsius is logical and good
same poster: I weigh 2.4 stone

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jose posted:

Loquacious in not knowing when it's icy outside shocker

necroid posted:

dude are you serious? this is pretty much the best argument you could make in favor of using celsius instead of fahrenheit. water generally freezes at 0° and boils at 100° what's so confusing about it?

cups spoons feet inches miles stones pounds are also loving hilarious and will never not sound really really goofy to me.

how did two different people miss the sarcasm in that sentence

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

While travelling I found that I only ever had to deal with things that either easy to roughly convert if need be (kms/miles, feet/metres) or you just use your eyes for (what the weather like) so who cares

The only thing that gets me is seemingly not having a precision measurement for building or whatever - m/cm/mm as opposed to ft/in/loving fractions or some poo poo

this is my steaming hot take on units of measurement thanks for reading

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
celcius is stupid

necroid
May 14, 2009

loquacius posted:

how did two different people miss the sarcasm in that sentence

dunno man you didn't sound very sarcastic when you kept defending the virtues of wacky measuring systems

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

A dude posted:

"I'm going to beat your rear end soon, you should have asked"

Take dad outside to the backyard when nobody's around, look him in the eye, and say "Do whatever you're gonna do." Don't lay a finger on him, just stand there. Maybe a 1% chance that he actually has a pair, but 99% likely he'll make excuses, then go "uh whuh buh buh I was just kidding! really!" Problem solved.

If there's one thing I've learned in life, it's this: chumps make threats, real tough guys shut up and do poo poo.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

loquacius posted:

How on Earth is Fahrenheit "complicated" :confused: Like, do you think everyone who uses it has to convert it to Celsius in their heads or what

Lol he thought it was measured in cups

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
The next person that posts about measurement units Im gonna brain with a quarterstaff

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Police Automaton posted:

The next person that posts about measurement units Im gonna brain with a quarterstaff
How do you feel about cubits?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

sorry I'll try knot to

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Proper units of measurement:
Celsius (Temperature)
Inches (small distances)
Kilometers (large distances)
Astronomical Units (larger distances)
Pounds (weight)
Milliliters (Volume)
Decibels (Volume (other))

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Jimmy Hats posted:

Astronomical Units (larger distances)

The astronomical unit is useless unless you're a solar system/exoplanet astronomer. The parsec (and its multiples like mega/gigaparsecs) is the most practical unit there is.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
if it concerns beer or milk then pint. The UK pint american pints are smaller

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The astronomical unit is useless unless you're a solar system/exoplanet astronomer. The parsec (and its multiples like mega/gigaparsecs) is the most practical unit there is.

i use AUs to measure my penis

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

i use AUs to measure my penis

No, no, no. They use EWs to measure your penis. They sound similar, so it explains your confusion.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I used AUs once ever it was in college and the dude asked what the distance from the earth to the sun was and it was obvious he was looking for it in kilometers. :mrgw:

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

KomodoWagon posted:

Let him do his little posturing bullshit for a while, then catch him off-guard and kick his rear end. Preferably with a lot of people around. Either break some bones (I mean actually break them, irreversible damage) or just hold his head down and knock him on the temple until he starts shaking, then call an ambulance as a show of good faith. This should get him off your back, and show the rest of her family not to gently caress with you. If you tell your wife/fiancee afterwards, she'll understand, or she won't be worth the effort of a relationship anyway. No reason wasting your time on someone with so little respect for you that they'd let anyone talk to you like that.

Yes, indeed, make sure there are as many witnesses as possible for the felony assault you're going to commit.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Just to be clear that's not general advice that's my advice for Komodo Wagon specifically.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I loving hate you all who engage in temperature chat

Behead those arguing about measurements

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

value-brand cereal posted:

Behead those arguing about measurements

The french tried that, and ended up with an even more retarded decimal calendar and time system.

So... kill the french, I guess?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bubblyblubber posted:

The french tried that, and ended up with an even more retarded decimal calendar and time system.

So... kill the french, I guess?

We'll start with Canada, they're in easy reach and well our scooter mobile leader can make a nice showing in Quebec

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Therapist-GF goon, you did well, however I have a sneaking suspicion your excitement at not being murdered is too soon. You will die in your sleep tonight.

But joking aside, I hope you checked the bathroom after a while to make sure your GF didn't do anything stupid, she sounds like she may be that kind of person...

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Rumda posted:

Bet she'll use the good plates, too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
therapist goon going to have some real angry sex

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Therepaist goon ask her what temperature it is outside and see how she responds

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jim Barris posted:

Yes, indeed, make sure there are as many witnesses as possible for the felony assault you're going to commit.

I didn't mean just out in the open, I meant at like a family event where the story's bound to end up muddled up in he said she saids. No cop or DA is gonna want to touch that - too much hassle for no glory. Unless you kill him of course, then it turns into something they can brag about "solving."

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Police Automaton posted:

Why not a halfstaff?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Therapy goon hosed a chick dressed like a goddamned Bosmer and that's objectively wrong and gross.

All elves are loathsome and the Bosmer are the most loathsome of all. Disgusting black-eyed cannibals! Someone should burn Valenwood to the ground.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mad Hamish posted:

Therapy goon hosed a chick dressed like a goddamned Bosmer and that's objectively wrong and gross.

All elves are loathsome and the Bosmer are the most loathsome of all. Disgusting black-eyed cannibals! Someone should burn Valenwood to the ground.

Wow, ease up there Ulfric.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
What about metes and bounds?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Therapy girl sounds like she's going schitzo. Does she have a Greedo action figure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I am in my early 30s, and am heavily medicated for depression. I am the full-time care taker of my wife, who is entirely dependent on me for everything, refuses to have her mental illness treated, and would end up homeless without me because of how alienated she is from her family and friends. I'm not sure how I'd live with myself we we got divorced, but I also don't know how I'm going to deal with things beyond further doping myself up and getting drunk regularly. Therapy helps somewhat, in that I can recognize the negative thought patterns both she and I fall into, and the psychiatrist keeps me medicated, but her refusal to do anything beyond trying to willpower through for a bit and then fail and demand than I build her back up... It's just too much.

To answer the questions that I'm sure will get asked: her illness developed about two years into our marriage, I don't make enough money to support the both of us living separately, we thankfully have no children, but it does feel often like taking care of a teenager more than having a partner most days. It involves her yelling a lot, demanding things be done certain ways, breaking down and crying, pounding on the walls and throwing things, and leaves me drained to the point where she can be in tears in the floor and I can just stand there emotionless because I've seen it so many times before.

What's the confession? I often fantasize about just leaving it all. Just getting in my car one day, and driving. Never coming back. Or her dying, from some disease or accident, and how nice life would be without her. And then I take my medicine and try to get some sleep, so I can wake up and do it all again in the morning.

yikes, this is a tough one

Ok well, honestly, you've got enough of your own poo poo to deal with that you can't deal with your wife's poo poo for her. I think you're at the tough-love point by now. Tell her the reasons you love her and want the relationship to work (remind yourself that these exist), then tell her that you're struggling enough with your own mental issues that you need her to deal with her poo poo without your help. If she isn't going to take her illness seriously (and she really has to accept that she has one by now, I think?) the marriage cannot work. It's true, and you know it's true, and she has to know it's true too. If she doesn't get help in some form, next time she breaks down, just leave and come back when she's done. Ultimatums are BS but in cases like this I think it's really the only way to get through to her how dire her situation is. As it is right now by doing nothing you're basically enabling her.

If she DOES take steps to address her issues, though, definitely try to be there for her and help her through the process and ask that she do the same for you as you deal with your issues. A relationship can work if it's a shared struggle through illness, but not if you're acting as an orderly in her private mental hospital.

quote:

i swear, the most foolproof way to tell whether someone is LGBT is whether they get stoked over red pandas, or if they even know that there is such a thing as a red panda.

welp guess im gay