Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
-2 tory votes to castle point. My missus spoke to her wavering parents before they got their postal vote in.

Then she leaned out of the window on the way home to snap this rare bit of southend not being entirely horrid, grey and shite!

*EDIT

The person involved may have been renowned street artiste ed baaaaaaaaaaaalllls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

vodkat posted:

Come on pissflaps, you know you are intentionally misrepresenting the politics at play here.

A second indy ref without westminster approval remains an open question legal and political question until it actually (if ever) happens.

If the SNP didn't need Westminster consent for an independence referendum they wouldn't have sought it in 2012 or now. Constitutional affairs are a reserved matter and Westminster is supreme within the UK. Any unofficial referendum would just be a survey, not contested by both sides under normal electoral rules and provide a result that would be ignored. It's UDI under a different name and UDI is madness.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

learnincurve posted:

The fact that they are cheaper long term makes no difference if you have to make the choice between buying food for a day and buying a lightbulb.

Giving people the option of a free paper bag or charging 5p for a plastic bag is more carrot less stick.

The failure rate of LED bulbs, even with 'dodgy wiring' is far less than the failure rate of incandescent's. The £3 it costs for a bulb will more than pay for itself in electricity savings, and they, despite what you want to believe, don't blow on a weekly basis. What you've done here is go for the one legged wheelchair bound deaf blind person of anecdotes to try and prove your point. In your specific example, where the LED bulb is going on a daily basis and the person is so poor they have to choose between light and dinner for the day sure its unfair, but its just not based in reality. Same for your point about bin collections. There are plenty of people that go 2 weeks between collections without having to go to the tip. In fact I'd say the vast majority of the population are now on bi-weekly collections and the tip is still only used once or twice a year for people having a clear out.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

If the SNP didn't need Westminster consent for an independence referendum they wouldn't have sought it in 2012 or now. Constitutional affairs are a reserved matter and Westminster is supreme within the UK. Any unofficial referendum would just be a survey, not contested by both sides under normal electoral rules and provide a result that would be ignored. It's UDI under a different name and UDI is madness.

Why is it madness? The only way UDI doesn't work is if the UK uses force and/or the rest of the world refuses to recognise independent Scotland. Do you think either is likely?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

TheRat posted:

These people really aren't very clever are they?
https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/869206975661387776

...not YET! :shepface:

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Why is it madness? The only way UDI doesn't work is if the UK uses force and/or the rest of the world refuses to recognise independent Scotland. Do you think either is likely?

May would loving love the excuse to send the Army up to Scotland and have Nicola Sturgeon locked in the Tower. Her poll numbers would go through the roof.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

Definitely. I don't think the world would recognise the attempt of a political group with minority support subverting the democratic will of Scotland and declaring independence.

There would be some exceptions in Russia, North Korea and Catalonia though I'm sure.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

tell me you faked that

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jabby posted:

May would loving love the excuse to send the Army up to Scotland and have Nicola Sturgeon locked in the Tower. Her poll numbers would go through the roof.

It would be pretty par for the course at this point if May manages to rekindle The Troubles and start a new Troubles up in Scotland.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Clive Anderson you are not fooling anybody with that wig.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Regarde Aduck posted:

Lol yes are you high? No country, not a single one in the world, would recognise an independent Scotland without a formal resolution from the UK. Do you think they would?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Got any tips on drawing blood?

My mum had a nurse do a blood test today that had to stab her three times to draw blood?

Make sure you get enough to drink beforehand (unless told not to)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hoops posted:

Lol yes are you high? No country, not a single one in the world, would recognise an independent Scotland without a formal resolution from the UK. Do you think they would?

For a real-world demonstration of how all this works without Westminster consent, rest your peepers on Catalonia, btw. Is it independent yet? No? Well, that's how far unilateral independence referendums without the backing of constitutional law get you.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hoops posted:

The US would if they promised Trump that he could have another golf course.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm not phlebotomy trained

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The reason I'm not advocating any change in lightbulbs is because it's treating a symptom and we need big improvements to social care, the benefits system and employment.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

This is great, if only for the 'bosses'.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Got any tips on drawing blood?

My mum had a nurse do a blood test today that had to stab her three times to draw blood?

Drinking water if appropriate is good, some people are harder to bleed than others though, i used to change the location which would sometimes help - back of the hand is pretty painful though

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For a blood test make sure to be hydrated, wrap something around the upper arm to increase blood pressure and squeeze your fist a few times to do likewise, then feel around for a prominent vein. Sometimes it's worth switching arms if the first one doesn't have much luck.

Source: have regular blood tests.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

feedmegin posted:

For a real-world demonstration of how all this works without Westminster consent, rest your peepers on Catalonia, btw. Is it independent yet? No? Well, that's how far unilateral independence referendums without the backing of constitutional law get you.

Scotland is very different from Catalonia, for a start its already recognized as nation separate from England and has been for its entire history, and thats without getting into its separate system of law etc etc, or any hardball politics the EU might want to play after brexit.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

vodkat posted:

Scotland is very different from Catalonia, for a start its already recognized as nation separate from England and has been for its entire history, and thats without getting into its separate system of law etc etc, or any hardball politics the EU might want to play after brexit.

I don't think the rest of the world would be very interested in our internal constitutional arrangements. States within the US can boast similar but that doesn't mean a Californian attempt at UDI would be any more successful. Scotland clearly isn't a 'separate nation' as it's part of the UK. It's a silly idea.

And that's not getting into this fantasy you have touched on that the EU will somehow demand Scottish independence as part of Brexit.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Hoops posted:

Abkhazia, South Ossetia, Transnistria and Nagorno-Karabakh would welcome them with open arms

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Carecat posted:

The reason I'm not advocating any change in lightbulbs is because it's treating a symptom and we need big improvements to social care, the benefits system and employment.

You can't just keep throwing resources at a problem like burned out light bulbs.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think the rest of the world would be very interested in our internal constitutional arrangements. States within the US can boast similar but that doesn't mean a Californian attempt at UDI would be any more successful. Scotland clearly isn't a 'separate nation' as it's part of the UK. It's a silly idea.

And that's not getting into this fantasy you have touched on that the EU will somehow demand Scottish independence as part of Brexit.

interestingly imo the calexit campaign is extremely russian influenced

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

vodkat posted:

Allies of the UK would only lose out by recognizing an independent Scotland; both sides would be weakened economically and militarily by being recognized and operational/logistical threats made to Trident and the like would do little to endear an independent Scotland to allies abroad who rely on the UK being able to militarily (read: politically) support operations where necessary. The RotW would prefer a united UK particularly during periods of international tension, IE now.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Namtab posted:

Make sure you get enough to drink beforehand (unless told not to)

Does this increase blood flow? Shes always drinking no sugar lemonade due to her diabetes

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Does this increase blood flow? Shes always drinking no sugar lemonade due to her diabetes

Your veins are more distended and easier to hit with a needle if you're better hydrated.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It helps maintain blood pressure. Lemonade, depending on what's in it, might lead to more water being flushed through the kidneys than just normal water.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

serious gaylord posted:

The failure rate of LED bulbs, even with 'dodgy wiring' is far less than the failure rate of incandescent's. The £3 it costs for a bulb will more than pay for itself in electricity savings, and they, despite what you want to believe, don't blow on a weekly basis. What you've done here is go for the one legged wheelchair bound deaf blind person of anecdotes to try and prove your point. In your specific example, where the LED bulb is going on a daily basis and the person is so poor they have to choose between light and dinner for the day sure its unfair, but its just not based in reality. Same for your point about bin collections. There are plenty of people that go 2 weeks between collections without having to go to the tip. In fact I'd say the vast majority of the population are now on bi-weekly collections and the tip is still only used once or twice a year for people having a clear out.

You are utterly and completely missing the point. It's the initial cost of buying those bulbs that's the issue here, that's not anactotal evidence that's the cost of bulbs vs how much people receive in benefits. Yes energy saving bulbs do blow in houses with dodgy electrics. My old house had what can only be discribed as a catastrophic electrics failure and it went from bulbs blowing once a year to bulbs blowing once a month or when certain electrical sockets were used. The only difference with led vs normal bulbs was that a normal bulb went plink and a led bulb often exploded. It's why I sold the house. A dodgy landlord wouldn't have given a flying fig.

There are plenty of people who go two weeks between bin collections quite happily, those people are not poor people. It's the Sam Vimes theory again, if you can only afford cheap stuff then that cheap stuff is going to break. Where does it go if the bin is jump on top of it full all the time? How do you go once or twice a year to the tip with all your accumulated broken stuff if you don't have a car?

A lot of people think that they have lived the life of a poor just because they have been to Uni, where they are wrong is that if you are at Uni then most people have a safety net of being able to go home to their parents and get a good meal or their clothes washed. They have no idea what grinding inescapable poverty feels like. I've been there, Jesus Christ, try rooting around the sofa for coppers so you can hopefully buy a loaf of economy bread because you have literally nothing in the cupboards and don't get paid for two days, then tell me it's fair to make the poor choose between food and loving light bulbs.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Jose posted:

interestingly imo the calexit campaign is extremely russian influenced

Always makes me kek when Americans fail to understand that America is a representative republic based on states and start threatening to secede. Texas was doing the same thing spitting out its dummy when Obama was elected President.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If you had cupboards then you should have sold them for food. :colbert:

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

jabby posted:

Your veins are more distended and easier to hit with a needle if you're better hydrated.

Tesseraction posted:

It helps maintain blood pressure. Lemonade, depending on what's in it, might lead to more water being flushed through the kidneys than just normal water.

Thanks for the info

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Pissflaps posted:

You outdo yourself in woeful misrepresentation here flaps: a state and a nation are very different things, please don't make the basic mistake of conflating them and I never even implied that the EU would 'demand' Scottish independence, but only and idiot would think brexit would force a reconsideration of their stance in regards to Scottish independence.

Rakosi posted:

Allies of the UK would only lose out by recognizing an independent Scotland; both sides would be weakened economically and militarily by being recognized and operational/logistical threats made to Trident and the like would do little to endear an independent Scotland to allies abroad who rely on the UK being able to militarily (read: politically) support operations where necessary. The RotW would prefer a united UK particularly during periods of international tension, IE now.

The UK doesn't have many allies that think of us very highly of us at the moment, and there are lots of states out there that would love to see the UK lose its place on the UN security council, and out main claim to these oversized boots recently have relied on having nuclear weapons and being 'representatives' of Europe.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

vodkat posted:

You outdo yourself in woeful misrepresentation here flaps: a state and a nation are very different things, please don't make the basic mistake of conflating them and I never even implied that the EU would 'demand' Scottish independence, but only and idiot would think brexit would force a reconsideration of their stance in regards to Scottish independence.

What is the difference between a state and a nation?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Paul Nuttall: internment might be necessary to counter 'Islamist cancer'

quote:

The Ukip leader, Paul Nuttall, has said it might be necessary to introduce internment without trial for terrorism suspects, adding that he would prioritise people’s lives over “the human rights of any jihadi”.

Speaking in the wake of Ukip’s move following the Manchester attack to focus its election approach more closely on Islamist terrorism, Nuttall denied that his party was becoming “extreme” over the issue.

But pressed by Andrew Neil as part of BBC1’s series of interviews with party leaders, Nuttall declined to condemn Gerard Batten, Ukip’s Brexit spokesman, for calling Islam a “death cult”, saying only that he had “got his terminology wrong”.

Nuttall insisted that Ukip was leading the way over policies such as a ban on Muslim women wearing a burqa in public and increased penalties for sexual offences against a person of a different religion.

“A lot of people within the Westminster bubble are very uncomfortable about it, but you know, we’re saying things that people are thinking, and what we’ve got to do is we’ve got to get to grips with this Islamist cancer within our midst,” Nuttall said.

“It needs to be cut out because I worry if it isn’t, then what happened the other night in Manchester may well become commonplace.”

Asked about the possible use of internment for people flagged as being under suspicion of terrorism, Nuttall said this might be necessary in the future.

“Well, when you read this morning there’s a suspected 23,000 jihadis living amongst us, obviously MI5 are stretched to capacity at this present moment in time,” he said.

“I think we’ve got to look at ways of ensuring that our people are safe, whether that is a return to control orders, whether that is tagging these people, who knows, in the future maybe a return to internment.”

Asked whether this might prove a recruiting tool for extremists, Nuttall said: “I wouldn’t take anything off the table in the future because ... unless we get a grip on this what happened in Manchester the other night, which is part of my constituency[as an MEP], could become commonplace. And that’s the last thing we want to see.”

Asked about previous comments in which he said torture techniques such as waterboarding might be justified if it was to prevent an imminent attack, Nuttall said he did not want it to be used routinely. However, he said in some cases “hard measures” could be needed.

“I would put the lives of British families over the human rights of any jihadi any day,” he said.

Nuttall also repeated that while support for the death penalty was not Ukip policy, he would be potentially willing to “pull the lever” and personally execute people convicted of child murders.

Asked whether his views as a whole indicated he was “becoming pretty extreme” in an attempt to boost Ukip’s flagging poll numbers, Nuttall rejected this.

He said: “The fact is we’re the only ones who are coming up with an agenda to try and improve integration in this country.”

Neil asked the Ukip leader about comments from Batten, one of the party’s MEPs, who used his personal blog to call Islam “a death cult”.

Nuttall said Batten was not speaking for the party but, asked for his views, declined to condemn him or threaten any disciplinary action. “I think he’s got his terminology wrong,” Nuttall said.

With Ukip polling at little more than 5%, as against nearly 13% in the 2015 election, Nuttall insisted his party would remain relevant.

“Well, look, sometimes in politics the tide comes in, the tide goes out,” he said. “And this is very opportune for Theresa May at the moment because she’s able to talk the talk and sound tough on the issue of Brexit because she hasn’t gone into those negotiations.

“It will get difficult for her once the negotiations start and that’s why it’s so important that Ukip remains on the pitch. And if she does backslide I’ll make a prediction: Ukip by the end of 2018 could be bigger than it ever has been before.”
UKIP: In favour of internment, banning the burqa, Muslimstern, torture, the death penalty. Serious, credible politicians deserving of space in the media, not simply outright fascists because

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is Islamist Cancer what you get if you eat bacon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm starting to think this Nutty Paul fellow isn't a very good egg.

• Locked thread